Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2019 5:01:12 PM EDT
I'm building a trauma/range medical bag. I need two things from you: suggestions on additions, and suggestions for a bag to put all this in! Chinook has a bag that's designed to hold all this stuff, but $83 is a little steep for a bag, isn't it?

Space blanket x 2
CAT x 2
4" Israeli bandage x 2
Compressed gauze x 4
HALO Vent chest seal x 2
Trauma pad - 5" x 9" x 2
Burn dressing 4" x 6" x 1
Burn dressing 4" x 4" x 1
Burn Jel 2 oz bottle x 2
Wound seal x 1
Oval eye pad x 2
Betadine pads x 6
Antimicrobial wipes x 6
4" x 4" gauze pads x 6
36" SAM splint x 1
Cravat bandage x 2
4" elastic bandage (ACE style) x 2
Eyewash 4 oz. x 4
Hydrocortisone 1% single use x 6
Triple antibiotic cream single use x 6
EMT Shears x 1
Tweezers x 1
Flat pack duct tape 2" x 6' x 2
Celox Z-Fold Rapid Gauze x 1

Edit: adding nitrile gloves and band aids. Already had those, didn't think to list em
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
needles for decompression when you operate
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#2]
People who have had a heart attack stay on blood thinners for a year afterwards, assuming they survive.  They turn a minor cut into a bloodletting.  I keep a decent (not trauma but decent) first aid kit in my range bag because I have had a heart attack and I do know what it's like to see blood pour out of a minor wound (a simple nose bleed turned into a 4 hour event that sent me to the ER).  For that reason I started keeping a Quick Clot pad in my first aid kit.  I haven't had to use it yet but I feel better knowing it's there.

I'm also a RSO at a local range and have more requests for bandaids than anything else out of my first aid kit so I keep a good stash of them in it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Add 4-6 pairs of gloves. Galls has cheap med bags. A headlamp is helpful as well. Use lithium batteries in it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Add 4-6 pairs of gloves. Galls has cheap med bags. A headlamp is helpful as well. Use lithium batteries in it.
View Quote
Good call on the headlamp! I'll take a look at Galls offerings.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had a time finding the correct sized bag for various med kits that I custom configured. Was making serious trauma kits for cars and bought a couple of different sizes bags and pouches and nothing I bought worked then I tried a canteen pouch and that was perfect for what I wanted in the car attached to the passenger headrest. We have put on a large number of TQs on people in passenger compartments, trunk or cargo bay not a place for a kit of ypubare the victim. Trauma vs med kit. Bleeding can kill you in seconds, lung collapse minutes, everything else to treat isn't going to kill you that day. Separating kits and components are not a bad idea to reduce confusing clutter when you really need stuff.
Non black gloves that are not crushed into a comically small package that takes 30 seconds to open and put on, a couple dowels or small lengths of pvc to turn your carvats into improvised TQs. Roll of 2 inch
medical tape not flat but the roll crushed so it doesn't roll away easier to work with than the flat duct.
Consider a kit dedicated headlamp so you aren't juggling a bloody flashlight with your hands lips and teeth.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I think that the creams, ointments including betadine products are of no use in situation you are Invisioning.
More 4x4 pads.

Antimicrobial wipes - used to clean skin so bandages stick but not for wound cleaning.

Irrigation syringes

Saline to wash wounds , several 250ml bottles

Tincture of benzoin (adhesive for steristrips)

steristrips

Write rain notebook

Pencil or space pen

CPR  mask

Vet wrap. - several 4” rolls from farm supply co

18 gage sharps - great for removing splinters

Sharps disposal

Glucose or gel packs

More gloves
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
If it's strictly GSW, get an IFAK.   Burn gels, eye wash, triple antibiotic, tweezers, etc, have no place in that kit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]
decomp needles
nose noodle thingy that makes an airway
hand squeeze breathy bag thingy
additional CAT for practice only (as they are one time use). metal ones are multiple use.  45 seconds to get on and tight max.

sorry for the ulta-formal names
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Only add stuff you know how to use. I’m an emt and it’s outside my scope to decompress, so I don’t have needles. Would I and could I, probably, but the point is, mission drives the gear. Know what you’re doing, then you’ll know what you need.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Less is more. A gunshot wound at the range is going to be treated with big ugly stuff in a big ugly way. Tourniquets, IBD, and gauze. As far as tension pneumothorax decompression goes stay in your lane. I see nothing wrong with having the stuff to do it on hand even if you yourself aren't trained to use it in the off chance a bystander is able to use it, though it is very unlikely to be needed before first responders get there.

When you pack the bag put the shears and gloves on top. Headlamp should be able to be found in the dark.

CPR mask, NPA, and J-tube should be on the bottom. They need their blood more than they need their air. Without blood air is useless. In the air kit put in a few big sharp safety pins. If you can't get in an NPA or j tube because of facial damage you might get on down the road by stuffing the j tube in long ways between the roof of the mouth and jaw and safety pinning their tongue to their lower lip. If the roof of the mouth is broken just use a stick or something long ways to hold the mouth open.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Click Here

Theres a good thread here. I posted a good deal for a NAR SIRK 2 as well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's strictly GSW, get an IFAK.   Burn gels, eye wash, triple antibiotic, tweezers, etc, have no place in that kit.
View Quote
This X 1,000,000
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top