Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2023 1:07:25 PM EDT
Hey guys, rebuilding an older alumacraft lunker 14.  It has 2 bench seats that don't open as storage.  Instead ( once I unscrewed the seats off) they have blocks of foam in them.  The foam is all beat up, peeling, falling apart, etc.   What foam should I buy to fit in any open areas of the boat ?   Any specific links ?  
  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a comment on one of my aluminum bass boat groups  hope it helps

If you plan to add more foam back, be sure it is not a polystyrene foam and rather it should be a polyurethane foam because of the properties with gasoline and long term exposure to water. You can dive into CGD 75-168, 42 FR 20243

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to make sure it's a closed cell type foam so it won't absorb water.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By engineer61:
You need to make sure it's a closed cell type foam so it won't absorb water.
View Quote

I figured as much, but is there a specific site that sells it?   Or any closer cell from any store?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 9:14:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoImpactNoIdea] [#5]
I see this question on lots of Jon Boat pages.  

Just so we are on the same page, foam does nothing for your boat until it starts filling up with water.  

Most people use two part pour foam or closed cell foam to replace old and deteriorated foam.

Depending on your level of restoration I would probably just leave the foam and make sure you have a good bilge pump.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Appreciate the replies.   The pour in foam is what's on the bottom of boat under floors.  But in random empty cavities in bench seats etc had white foam blocks. Like you would find at a hobby lobby or something.  Like packing foam , where if you cracked it, it would drop a bunch of little annoying crumbs.    
   I was trying to replicate that type.  Didn't know if there was an exact kind of brand or something selling boat foam.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#7]
In a pinch pool noodles or ping pong balls work okay.

We have use pink board and white board but they will water log in time.
Top Top