Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2022 11:51:20 PM EDT
Do I need to get a dedicated fly fishing bag/pack? I have a HPG chest rig that seems decent for holding the tools, besides the net. Would it make life easier in the river?

Talking about things like this:

or

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 2:33:16 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a good idea, a waist pack for you fly gear. I know that by the time I have everything in my vest, it's got to be all of 18 lbs,  

Link Posted: 11/26/2022 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I keep thinking about trying something else, but the vest just works too well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if they are made anymore but I use a William Joseph Surge Mag waistpack.  It uses magnets instead of zippers.  I like the capacity and the fact I can drop my G20 right into the front compartment where I can easily and quickly get to it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I always recommend buying a cheap one of the style you want to try and see if it works for you then purchase accordingly. I use a pack for food, water, rain gear, Med kit, etc. I use my vest for my fishing supplies. My pack is one of those cheap tactical backpacks that are like 15l. The molle is useful to strap my pole, net, etc on when hiking in and out.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#5]
No two people are going to have the same favorite bag.  I've tried pretty much everything that Fishpond/Patagonia/Orvis/Simms/Etc makes and am convinced that "perfect" does not exist.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hatidua:
No two people are going to have the same favorite bag.  I've tried pretty much everything that Fishpond/Patagonia/Orvis/Simms/Etc makes and am convinced that "perfect" does not exist.
View Quote

I agree.

There are too many variables that come into play. Body size and type. Types of water fished. Wading or fishing out of a boat, etc.  What works for one person probably doesn’t work for another.

That being said, I grew up when vests were the only game in town. I have had several but still wanted to try other ways. I tried a chest pack and found that my forward vision was somewhat blocked which I didn’t like. I tried some modern day vests by Fishpond and the advances in pockets and attach points was great. But I still wanted something that felt less heavy. I then settled on a sling pack and that is what I use currently. It feels less heavy and I have an easier range of motions for both arms especially compared to a vest.

FWIW
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the input. I'll try a few out and see how they feel. Hadn't considered the vest.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was fishing a lot I boiled it down to a camelback and pockets. Owned, or still own, most every style of pack or bag over the years. I just like to keep it simple.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I do pretty much all my fishing early spring and late fall, right up to freeze up.

So a cold weather setup is what I use.

I use a Simms wading jacket, don't think they make the model I have, its about 10 years old now.
Pockets galore, 4 in the front for smaller stuff, large pocket along the backside that will fit something large like a 1 1/2 x 10 x 18 box full of flies.
Pocket for your hands, a hood and its rain proof.

Its simple and can carry everything I need.
If its cold out I wear a hoodie underneath the jacket and thats it.

One thing I've learned over the years is I and most people tend to think they need more stuff than they do.
I could easily fish with a 2 dozen flies, a small 10ft spool of line for leaders, sinking heads, a net and hemostats that double as a line snip.
Thats about all I use when fishing anyways.

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Different bags work for different people, if the OP is happy with his HPG pack, that will absolutely work fine.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I really like my little orvis pack like your first pic.

Not taking everything forces me to think a bit more before a trip. My vest rally leaves the closet anymore.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top