Video

Do not know how to imbed an MP4.

Bill
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Flood Zone preparation idea #1 move to higher ground.
My back is killing me just watching that video.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Flood Zone preparation idea #1 move to higher ground.
My back is killing me just watching that video.
View Quote
This man gets it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Not that I'm in a flood zone but...

Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#5]
A desire to never be flooded is what made me decide to build in a location where it's impossible to ever get flooded. We have been through some flooding in the area already and even our basement is bone dry....and we don't have or need a sump pump either.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#7]
As always "Don't be there" is rule #1

I do like solutions like this one though

link
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Frankly, I have lived through a bunch of Hurricanes and flooding and NEVER seen sandbags do much good at all.

As always, YMMV
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought sand bags were to hold up a tarp so you could pump water faster than it seeps in?

I've never loved where they were needed, so I don't know.
View Quote
Preferably plastic sheeting (less permeable than a woven tarp) but generally, yes, that is the proper use. You build your sand-bag wall with plastic sheeting built into the middle to create a barrier, the sand-bags just hold the barrier in-place. You still have to run pumps because the water will seep through the ground and some will pass between the ground and plastic sheeting but it turns a situation from catastrophic to majorly inconvenient, as long as you have the proper equipment.

That being said, after a 10 year string that saw 3 devastating floods in my home-town, one of the guys in the flood zone put a concrete flood wall around 3-1/2 sides of his yard as well as drainage draining into a pumping pit. This way, if/when the flood comes he only has to have enough sand-bags to build about 50 feet of wall and he can pump the water from a single centralized pumping point, not several low-points around the house.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:17:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw a system online  that I think was first used in the flooding in Houston. It was a rubber bladder that you filled with water before flooding. The bladder went around the house and held back the flood waters. Not cheap but neither is flooding.

Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#12]
A guy I know had one of these - the "whole house barrier system" and tried to use it during Harvey.    I think the barrier was 4-5 feet high.   They had 8 feet of floodwater - house was totaled (for 2nd or 3rd time).

They gave up after Harvey and didn't rebuild there.

Moral of the story - these are good and do work for "minor" flooding - when the bigger floods (ie, Harvey in Houston) come, only way to avoid being flooded....is to not live where it's likely (ie, elevated WELL outside 100 year floodplains).
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A guy I know had one of these - the "whole house barrier system" and tried to use it during Harvey.    I think the barrier was 4-5 feet high.   They had 8 feet of floodwater - house was totaled (for 2nd or 3rd time).

They gave up after Harvey and didn't rebuild there.

Moral of the story - these are good and do work for "minor" flooding - when the bigger floods (ie, Harvey in Houston) come, only way to avoid being flooded....is to not live where it's likely (ie, elevated WELL outside 100 year floodplains).
View Quote
Easy access to federally funded flood insurance encouraged building in flood zones. Then, people are shocked when their house floods. They make a big scene on the news, vowing to rebuild and it tugs at the heartstrings. Then it floods again.

No matter where I was buying or building, I'd be looking at flood maps and how well the drainage was set up. I have seen the misery brought on by ones home flooding and I vowed a long time ago that would never be me.

I do think those flood barriers are very neat....but clearly they can only provide a barrier up to their height limit. Once the flood waters exceed that, then they are useless.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I saw a system online  that I think was first used in the flooding in Houston. It was a rubber bladder that you filled with water before flooding. The bladder went around the house and held back the flood waters. Not cheap but neither is flooding.

https://cdn0.wideopencountry.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/aqua-dam-793x526.jpg
View Quote
How are those stored during normal weather?
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are folded / rolled up
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I imagine they take a lot of effort and weigh a lot too once emptied and folded up.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#17]
We had flooding in my county late summer, mind you we are next to Lake Michigan, on high ground with drainage and infrastructure.

For example my church is 800ft above sea level, on a huge hill, and a 2 miles from the lake,  the dummy’s had piss poor flood insurance from a synod insurer....
$200k in damage because it wasn’t drained properly combined with a power outage.  Sadly I missed the cleanup and the entire “inside scoop” due to work, BUT I did see excavators tearing out the oldish(20 yr old small building) drainage that lead to the street/hill

Someone dropped the ball.  Hard lesson learned.

My point is it would be the last place you would look at and think “flooding”

Piss poor maintenance and planning crushed us bad.

Check your drainage.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I live in a flood zone.  Talk about major suckage.

Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice to know and I'm glad I on a hillside.  The "river" is a couple hundred feet below me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice to know and I'm glad I on a hillside.  The "river" is a couple hundred feet below me.
View Quote
See that line of trees on the horizon?  At their base is the Elk River.  It's about 1.5 miles away +/-.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top