Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2022 12:17:57 PM EDT
What is everyone's preferred style of flashlight for storing in a vehicle? I'm assuming temperature swings are killing flashlights on me.

I found my Alkaline cells DEAD after sitting in my truck for a year, in a 6D LED Maglite. Not fun.

I also had a modern LiPo 18650 powered Wurkkos FC11 that I loved, and the light itself is dead after two years. I loved how bright/adjustable it was and I LOVED being able to use my cellphone charger to recharge it. I have the same light that is ticking just fine but was stored in my house. Of course this is a sample size of 1.

I'm sure I'd benefit greatly from a Surefire of some variety but I hate CR123s.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Streamlight offer pretty good quality to price ratios.  
Use a lithium battery vs alkaline.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What is everyone's preferred style of flashlight for storing in a vehicle? I'm assuming temperature swings are killing flashlights on me.

I found my Alkaline cells DEAD after sitting in my truck for a year, in a 6D LED Maglite. Not fun.

I also had a modern LiPo 18650 powered Wurkkos FC11 that I loved, and the light itself is dead after two years. I loved how bright/adjustable it was and I LOVED being able to use my cellphone charger to recharge it. I have the same light that is ticking just fine but was stored in my house. Of course this is a sample size of 1.

I'm sure I'd benefit greatly from a Surefire of some variety but I hate CR123s.
View Quote

My leave-it-in-the-center-console light is an old Surefire G2 Nitrolon, with a Malkoff M61LL (100 lumens) running off of a USB rechargeable Keeppower 16650. I also leave a Xeno TW02 diffuser on it, so it works as a lantern too.

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Some years ago my bacon was saved with a Garrity disposable light.

It was evening in the mountains, light fading fast and I got a flat tire. I found one of these that I'd forgotten I had, in the pouch with my tire changing tools.

I must have had it there 3-4 years after I picked it up at a gun show. It was still in its original packaging, and worked flawlessly.

eta

I meant to add that it had been in the camper shell of my El Camino, in hot and cold California weather.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#4]
My 3 battery LED maglight works great, goes thru 0 to 90 degrees thru year, always works. I use energizer batteries.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had pretty good luck with an old Surefire G2 with Surefire brand cr123 batteries.  Been in the truck for a few years, still lights up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I"ve had an OLD School Streamlight rechargeable for over 15 years..just put a new battery
in it last week as it was dimming out too fast..stays in the truck 100% of the time in over 100 degrees
summertime..
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a Streamlight that can use lithium AA or AAA batteries.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a Streamlight that can use lithium AA or AAA batteries.
View Quote
Probably the best, least expensive alternative.  Suggest also having more than one light in each vehicle, and fresh spare Lithium batts.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Streamlight. They have A/C chargers, D/C chargers, USB Chargers.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve had a Streamlight Protac HL USB in my center console for several years. It holds a charge and can be easily charged in the truck with a USB cable.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#11]
It would be nice to have such lights capable of accepting a (separately) charged re-chargeable batt, AND, assuming such batt was installed, also being able to be re-charged from USB output on most modern radios AND/OR a suitable plug-in USB charger used in conjunction with Cigarette lighter/power port.

Probably too much to ask, as I'm certain someone would install a non-rechargeable batt into the light and cause havoc.

As a slight aside, I have a USB "High-Output" charger plugged into cig lighter on my 1996 Honda.  When being used for charging devices, LED display cycles through (car) Batt Volts/Volts being supplied by Alternator (Car Charging System Volts)/Volts being used to charge the device.  When not charging a device, LED alternates between Batt Volts and Charging System Volts.

Remarkably handy, and unobtrusive; usefulness of LED display depends on whether or not you can easily see it from driving position.  Suggest reading reviews and buying slightly more expensive all-metal unit with highest Volts output consonant with unit's durability.   Mine's been in my daily driver Honda for about 3 years now.  Bought on Amazon for about $15, IIRC.  

Besides giving useful Batt/Charging System info, the Cig-lighter charging unit also provides a back-up USB charging point, should the car radio or other charging point fail.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I have AA LED Maglites in my vehicles. The very important detail here: lithium AA batteries. They have a long shelf life and won’t leak.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 2:21:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It would be nice to have such lights capable of accepting a (separately) charged re-chargeable batt, AND, assuming such batt was installed, also being able to be re-charged from USB output on most modern radios AND/OR a suitable plug-in USB charger used in conjunction with Cigarette lighter/power port.

Probably too much to ask, as I'm certain someone would install a non-rechargeable batt into the light and cause havoc.

As a ...
View Quote

Is the light with a USB port waterproof? The old SF 6P was advertised as being waterproof to 30 meters.

I carry another old SF light in my work bag, a Z2 (w/ a USB rechargeable 16650 behind a Malkoff M361) and a spare 16650 in a CountyComm tube vault too.

That spare can be also dropped in any light made to run on (2) CR123's, and in my case, vice versa.

Since there isn't any external charging port, the lights are still as watertight as before.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 5:47:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I have several Fenix flashlights, all which use the 21700 style battery.

Those batteries last a long time.

Fenix store

20% off coupons are easily found
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a couple of Galls brand flashlights to keep in the center console and as a back up.

100 lumens, tail clip (no momentary off), kinda long.  They normally cost $40 which is expensive but I got them on sale around Christmas for $20 which is a good deal.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I take a ziplock bag and put the light in it and take a smaller ziplock and stuff it with batteries. That way if the batteries leak, I’m not out an expensive light
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Some years ago my bacon was saved with a Garrity disposable light.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61D-8kKyCnL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

It was evening in the mountains, light fading fast and I got a flat tire. I found one of these that I'd forgotten I had, in the pouch with my tire changing tools.

I must have had it there 3-4 years after I picked it up at a gun show. It was still in its original packaging, and worked flawlessly.

eta

I meant to add that it had been in the camper shell of my El Camino, in hot and cold California weather.
View Quote

When I was a kid we would use the big square battery “throw away” flashlights from Walmart. I never remember a tree that those lights wouldn’t light up the top of. Cheap and you could buy a new battery but for just a little more you could buy a whole new one.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I keep a little streamlight microstream in mine. Recharges via USB from my dash.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a cheap mechanics light from Harbor Freight I think it was $8 or $10. Has a magnetic swivel base led. I use it for work and throw it in my car. Its went through two winters with Chinese batteries.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Whatever flavor headlamp you'd like.

Having both hands to do things with is nice.

Just use lithium batteries.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My 3 battery LED maglight works great, goes thru 0 to 90 degrees thru year, always works. I use energizer batteries.
View Quote

Here's a new LED alternative for the old maglites: It's a 2 stage drop-in LED bulb replacement, with the 1st press of the switch giving 525 lumens, and the 2nd press goes down to 55 lumens.

For 3-7 C or D cell lights:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L2JZM1F/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A66D1IE524P93&psc=1

I initially tried this with rechargeables in AA to D cell adapters, but it wasn't enough current to really do its thing.

There is also a 2 C/D cell version, rated outputs of 40 and 430 lumens: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JCSLKF5?tag=arfcom00-20

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Coast HX4 Cliplight. Cheap ~$14, one in each vehicle. Magnetic base.

I have one of their headlamps too. That is rechargeable and long-lasting. Super bright also.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#23]
The biggest thing is that lithium batteries are much more tolerant to temperature extremes.

Next, is getting a decent light that doesn't slowly drain.
I like Streamlight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top