Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2022 8:31:17 PM EDT
Getting on a plane so I'll post some more pictures when I get home.

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice! Lack of waterfront homes says you're at one of our many state, county or metro parks.
Nice pike. Did ya eat it, or toss it back? We have some monsters, can be a nice fight.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!

We used to eat walleye and lake perch, but always threw pike back, thinking they weren't tasty.

Then I had some at a fish fry.  Pretty tasty fish.  Lots of little bones to deal with, but you can deal with those if you cut them into nuggets and fry them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Top picture was at Crooked lake. Had the place to myself this afternoon.

This picture is late morning from Heron..I think. Just east of Holly.

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#4]
This was Big lake just west of Clarkston. Plenty of houses on this one. Caught a bass and a pike on a yellow/white bladed jig with shad swim tail trailer.. stewardess lady is telling me to turn my phone off. Guess uploading pictures will crash the plane...

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, one more, caught a 6lb 3oz walleye next to a big war ship in Bay City.

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 9:19:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shortround] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScooterInVegas:
Oh, one more, caught a 6lb 3oz walleye next to a big war ship in Bay City.

https://i.postimg.cc/7hXrNWCJ/20221113-171931.jpg
View Quote

USS Edson.

Wiki

Didn't know she was there.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I use to follow a guy that did a bunch of urban fishing in big cities. Caught some big fish.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By shortround:

USS Edson.

Wiki

View Quote

Me neither, learn something new about my state from a guy from Nevada! Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 9:32:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScooterInVegas] [#9]

USS Edson.

Wiki

View Quote

She is next to a bridge. Under and just east of that bridge is where we found the walleye.

The boat ramp is just west of the bridge on the south side.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#10]
To check a rod/reel with Spirit Airlines would it cost roughly $200 round trip. That's how they get you with the cheap tickets. So I just bought a Lews KVD Med/Fast and a SLX DC at Bass Pro in Auburn Hills. It made a good birthday present for someone local on my way to the airport.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By eracer:

We used to eat walleye and lake perch, but always threw pike back, thinking they weren't tasty.

View Quote

They are pretty damn good.  I prefer it over Bass any day of the week.

Due to size limits I've never eaten one that was larger than 30", so I don't know if the texture of the meat is any different if you get into the 40+ range.

For cooking/shore lunch I like to mix Louisiana fish seasoning with Andy's Cajun seasoning and then fry it up.

Louisiana

Andy's Cajun

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#12]
If you have a home base around, they are good cleaned and pickled at least 2 weeks before eating.  The acidity of the vinegar will dissolve most of the smaller bones.  Pick the bigger ones out.

Here is one of many recipes:

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#13]
If you have a home base around, they are good cleaned and pickled at least 2 weeks before eating.  The acidity of the vinegar will dissolve most of the smaller bones.  Pick the bigger ones out.

Here is one of many recipes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-zmBqkVR-w
View Quote

That one should be pretty good.  Very similar to the one I use from Field & Stream here.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice! Looks like a nice, quiet spot.

Just south of Detroit, about 45 minutes, is the town of Luna Pier. In the fall, the walleye will start coming into the shallows in the evening, feeding on the shad. So you can cast for them right from the pier.

I’ve seen guys limit out in 30 minutes, but also not seen a fish caught, so it can be spotty. But I’ve caught a few this year that are 27” and above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top