Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2019 3:38:26 PM EDT
I cant friggin do it. What's the best time / conditions for them. How do you.use them? Seems everyone in my area does well.with them but me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Early and late in the day.  A couple of hours after sunup and a couple of hours before dark.  Those are the best times for frog bite.

Best way to fish a frog is around vegitation.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#3]
So do you just takem back ion slow. twitch it like its swimming?  I just cant seem to get it right.

I am a live bait guy but trying to get ok at lures for when I don't have my net with me or the bait is  too small.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USSRangerSM:
Sometimes I'll retrieve it a little bit then just let it sit and then pop it a couple times let it sit... jump it up on a lily pad let it sit, then have a jump off the lily pad and have it sit. I hardly ever straight retrieve it
View Quote
This and fallow up with a buzz bait or chug bug. It doesn't hurt to put a piece of pork rind on the hook and let the oil slick the water.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Take a few minutes and watch this video OP. These guys are from California but they do a good job presenting info.
Frog Fishing This Summer: Everything You Need To Know
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently started fishing a frog... I've caught some pretty good sized fish on them too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a similar question.  Are frogs good on a larger river? Not much vegetation. And the current usually takes my frog down stream fast.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Do top water lures in general work on larger rivers ?  I fish the Illinois river alot near starved Rock.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#12]
The only thing I would use for top water on the river would be a buzz bait, Not that other things wouldn’t work that’s just me
View Quote
In still calm water around lily pads a frog is awful hard to beat. Sometimes you can pick up a missed strike from a Buzz bait with a zara spook. I have even caught a few channel cats on a frog. And once a big bullfrog.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 8:30:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USSRangerSM] [#13]
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Calm water and lily pads  anywhere is a game changer  

Freaking cats...Is there anything that they don’t bite on? LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

In still calm water around lily pads a frog is awful hard to beat. Sometimes you can pick up a missed strike from a Buzz bait with a zara spook. I have even caught a few channel cats on a frog. And once a big bullfrog.
Calm water and lily pads  anywhere is a game changer  

Freaking cats...Is there anything that they don’t bite on? LOL
I've never caught one on a buzz bait they seem to slap at them. I had a buddy that caught a good flat head on a buzz bait. He crowed like a rooster for a week.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 5:12:22 AM EDT
[#15]

I've never caught one on a buzz bait they seem to slap at them. I had a buddy that caught a good flat head on a buzz bait. He crowed like a rooster for a week.
View Quote
If your not hooking up try putting a trailer hook on the buzz bait. That might help you get one stuck.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Knothead71:
If your not hooking up try putting a trailer hook on the buzz bait. That might help you get one stuck.
View Quote
I always run a trailer hook and sometimes use a piece of broke worm to make the hooks weedless.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#17]

I always run a trailer hook and sometimes use a piece of broke worm to make the hooks weedless.
View Quote
Hhmmm. Sometimes you can throw a floating worm ( Trick Worm) right where he missed the buzz bait and catch one. I like a merthiolate or bubble gum color. I dont know if its the same fish or one that was with the one that missed the buzz bait. It doesnt work alot but its worth a shot.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I throw the newish Zoom frogs exclusively anymore. They float unlike their older hornytoad. The beauty of them is you can run them like a buzz bait or fish it slowly. My favorite frog conditions are any warm weather night with a full or almost full moon.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Knothead71:
Hhmmm. Sometimes you can throw a floating worm ( Trick Worm) right where he missed the buzz bait and catch one. I like a merthiolate or bubble gum color. I dont know if its the same fish or one that was with the one that missed the buzz bait. It doesnt work alot but its worth a shot.
View Quote
Berkly used to make a power french fry type worm in a silver flake crawdad color that was killer. But I haven't found any more. I got to go fishing this weekend it's to damned hot to bow hunt and I'm tired of work.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought one a couple years ago, have fished it at night around grass and moss, got a couple small runs at it, nothing of any real size from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I am having no luck with my lunkerhunt frog. I think I need to find something else for water with heavy vegetation
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#22]
If I am using topwater what I am having the most luck on is a black jitterbug, hard to use real close to cover though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#23]
65lb braid. bomb it up into the slop mostly. twitch retrieve mostly. usually, it walks a bit. I also skip it up under brush and stuff. I like to gavacho frogs best as they are the easiest for me to walk back. Two colors, black and white.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:48:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: s1rGr1nG0] [#24]
I make baits, including frogs, so if anyone is interested shoot me a PM and I'll send you a link to our site. Frogs, creature baits, 2 worms, and some saltwater plastics. Also have a custom paddle tail and shrimp that I designed and had molds made for. Can do any color you like and custom colors as well.
15% arfcom discount!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:39:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#25]
Forgot to update. I ditched the shitty lunkerhunt frog and got a cheap Booya. Everything likes it. Pulled in plenty of bass and snakeheads but the snakeheads are good at spitting them back out even after a long fight . I am using a medium/heavy 7 foot rod. Think I might try a heavy action  so I get better hook sets as aI think the softer action is t doing it as well as it should.

I found that in my AO (ie behind my house) they like a medium speed  non stop retrieve.

This rig is primarily for Bullseye Snakeheads so heavy braid wont be a problem as these bastards torpedo themselves into the heaviest cover they can find.

Thanks for all the tips. Tried em all and ended up with a mixture of ad ice that ended up working well in my area and species.

Side note. I had a Tarpon almost take a frog as I was  fast retrieving after a bad cast and I stopped it in the middle. He took a huge swipe and Inthink stopping my retrieve messed up his timing. I never heard of a Tarpon being taken on a frog. Unfortunately I still havent lol
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Ive always had good luck on the booyah and river2sea frogs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top