Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2020 11:17:25 PM EDT
I have been invited to an in law family fishing trip to Hatteras end of Oct / early Nov.  I've done lots of freshwater fishing and some headboat bay fishing in the Delaware bay and Mid Atlantic but no experience surf fishing.  If worst comes to worst I'm sure I can pick up most the the needed tackle once I get down there but what is the weather/clothing conditions down there that time of year?  What is the likely big ticket tackle items I can cross off the list?  I'd like to get anything I can ahead of time if possible and shake it out this summer at the local beaches.  From talking to them and seeing pics it sounds like lots of big drum and various other fish.  Any suggestions for poles or various useful gear will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Watch The perfect storm
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:07:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By dj1975232:
I have been invited to an in law family fishing trip to Hatteras end of Oct / early Nov.  I've done lots of freshwater fishing and some headboat bay fishing in the Delaware bay and Mid Atlantic but no experience surf fishing.  If worst comes to worst I'm sure I can pick up most the the needed tackle once I get down there but what is the weather/clothing conditions down there that time of year?  What is the likely big ticket tackle items I can cross off the list?  I'd like to get anything I can ahead of time if possible and shake it out this summer at the local beaches.  From talking to them and seeing pics it sounds like lots of big drum and various other fish.  Any suggestions for poles or various useful gear will be appreciated.
View Quote
I'm not a huge fishing guy, but my family has a condo in Nags Head and have been there dozens of times the past few years.

Have you been to the Outer Banks before, specifically in the fall? Lots of storms, cold water, wind, ect. In the winter it really sucks down that way. Early spring isn't so bad, but the fall is pretty much a ghost town.

Plus side, you have a brand new bridge to cross the sound over to Hatteras. Listen to your buddies, I'm sure they are experienced anglers. However, NC does offer a black bear hunt in October which is pretty epic, largest black bears east of the Mississippi, and most if not all in fields eating crops 24/7. Rarely do they hibernate, and you can buy a license to hunt one at Wal-Mart for sub $200.

Good luck, did I mention the water is cold as hell?
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:09:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By texasjohn:
Watch The perfect storm
View Quote
Ha, that's not the Outer Banks.

Op, watch Wicked Tuna Outer Banks, most of those guys leave out of Pirates Cover in Nags Head. I've met a few in the past and seen their boats leave plenty of times.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Surf fishing in OBX, buy a good set of chest waders and decent surf rod and real.  If targeting blue fish use some spider wire line or some other bite resistant line.  Take their lead on bait or lures.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:01:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#5]
Originally Posted By Surfgun:
Surf fishing in OBX, buy a good set of chest waders and decent surf rod and real.  If targeting blue fish use some spider wire line or some other bite resistant line.  Take their lead on bait or lures.
View Quote
This.

Surf fishing really does require specialized tackle.  Maybe your family or their friends will have some you can use?
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.  Yeah for what they are saying and what I’ve been reading lots of layers and chest waders are must.  My plan is to buy basic tackle to play with this summer and they are going to set me up with season / target fish specific tackle when we go.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Long time OBX surf Fisher here.

1.  Comfortable waders
2.  Dress in layers.  Some days it's cold, but this is NC where it is freezing one day and 70 the next.
3.  Late October is great for bull drum
4.  12' rod capable of throwing "eight and bait".  8oz sinkers are the norm on The Point
5.  No braid on The Point, unless you like to fight...lol
6.  You'll need a license to fish.  NC has a saltwater license, sadly.
7.  You'll need a 4wd and an ORV permit to drive on the beach.  Airing down is a must.
8.  A lighter weight rig is always good for throwing Stingsilver or other jigs to target bluefish during lulls in the drum fishing

Frank & Fran's in Avon is my go to bait shop.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Swing by Oceans East Nags Head, they will give you all the info you need
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:41:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SouthernYank] [#9]
Originally Posted By ThePitbullofLove:
Long time OBX surf Fisher here.

1.  Comfortable waders
2.  Dress in layers.  Some days it's cold, but this is NC where it is freezing one day and 70 the next.
3.  Late October is great for bull drum
4.  12' rod capable of throwing "eight and bait".  8oz sinkers are the norm on The Point
5.  No braid on The Point, unless you like to fight...lol
6.  You'll need a license to fish.  NC has a saltwater license, sadly.
7.  You'll need a 4wd and an ORV permit to drive on the beach.  Airing down is a must.
8.  A lighter weight rig is always good for throwing Stingsilver or other jigs to target bluefish during lulls in the drum fishing

Frank & Fran's in Avon is my go to bait shop.  Good luck!
View Quote

Been going there for 40 years and this is good advice.  Only thing I would add is a 7' rod for throwing plastic and mirror mirrorlures in close.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:10:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bandhunter] [#10]
I usually fish Ocracoke.  The outer banks are one of my favorite places.  There is some good advice above.  I recommend breathable waders.  It can warm up quick.  Don't miss out on night fishing.  Drum bite great at night on the right tide and moon.  Eat the puffer fish. They are delicious.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#11]
We go down to Portsmouth Island across the inlet from Hatteras every year in October.  Water is cold but hook a bull drum and you're hooked for life. Good quality waders a must.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the replies.  All geared up and ready for the trip that’s the last week of Oct. I have the license and ORV permit. We’re staying right in Buxton.  We’re set up for worst case scenario with your 8 and bait suggestion a down to small rods for working close in. Hope to have to great pics and report soon.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow!  Probably the best week fishing I've ever had.  We limited out several days on trout and puppy drum and big 20+" blues every day.  Lots of small specks and flounder too.  We ended up having really productive days at Oregon and Hatteras Inlets, a day on Ocracoke, and spent the rest of the time on the Point.  We had the hurricane winds come in last two days so the point wasn't productive except for some blues.  Already planning next years trip.  Fishing drums is addictive.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#15]
That smile says you're hooked. Went down a few weeks ago to Portsmouth Island and our group easily caught 40 or 50. Caught this big ray that took about 20 mins to haul in. Didn't know a fish could wear my ass out. The thing about Portsmouth is you have to be self sufficient and bring everything but well worth it. Not another fisherman in sight and the one you do come across are supre nice.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top