Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2023 5:23:43 PM EDT
Just got a well cared for Alumacraft 16.5. Its a great boat, but the electronics and trolling motor are dated and basic. I would like to upgrade to a fully integrated system eventually including a livescope/megalive. My frustration is figuring out all the pieces needed when looking at the trolling motor. Obviously I would prefer not dropping 5k all at once. I have a Helix 7 G2 I use for Ice and have no qualms using that for the next season, is there a MinKota trolling motor that would work with the autopilot & DI etc, that would be relatively easy to upgrade to Mega later if I get a new head unit. Or I am just looking at grabbing the Garmin 106SV, getting the Garmin motor and in a year or two add the live scope.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Many of the minnkota trolling motors are compatible with Humminbird graphs.  Your Helix 7 G2 is not going to be networkable however unless it's a G2N model.  
I currently have two Helix 7 G3N's on my boat along with an older power drive v2 24V trolling motor that I added a MSI transducer to.  It gets the job done but I'm looking to upgrade to a 36V trolling motor this winter.  Probaly a Terrova or Ultrex with the I-pilot link, and adding the ethernet hub to network both graphs and the trolling motor.  Might also add a talon too and that would also be networkable.  

It all comes down to how much you want to spend.  Personally, for live sonar, I feel that the garmin livescope 34 is hands down the top dog, but plenty of people run those as stand alone and have lowrance or birds for their 2D/SI/DI/mapping graphs.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:58:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BobRoberts] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tornadochaser:
Many of the minnkota trolling motors are compatible with Humminbird graphs.  Your Helix 7 G2 is not going to be networkable however unless it's a G2N model.  
I currently have two Helix 7 G3N's on my boat along with an older power drive v2 24V trolling motor that I added a MSI transducer to.  It gets the job done but I'm looking to upgrade to a 36V trolling motor this winter.  Probaly a Terrova or Ultrex with the I-pilot link, and adding the ethernet hub to network both graphs and the trolling motor.  Might also add a talon too and that would also be networkable.  

It all comes down to how much you want to spend.  Personally, for live sonar, I feel that the garmin livescope 34 is hands down the top dog, but plenty of people run those as stand alone and have lowrance or birds for their 2D/SI/DI/mapping graphs.
View Quote

Thanks, I ended up grabbing the Gamin 106SV that Bass Pro had on sale for Black Friday before seeing this. I am going to save up over the winter and grab the Garmin Force Kraken with 63 inch shaftand get in installed prior to ice out. I will have to add another battery as the electronics is only 12v now, so I guess thats 2 new batteries also since its a used lead acid, I dont just want to add a new one, and if I am upgrading my electronic batteries no reason not to get lithium except money. I will eventually upgrade to live when I get a good deal, but that will give me a SI/SI transducer on the trolling motor and transom.

The bird will just ride in the ice shuttle, for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 11:44:58 PM EDT
[#4]
You will be happy with that.  I sold all my bird's off my boat and have gone full garmin.  Ive been happy with them, and im still glad I switched to this day.  Everyone is different.  Ive had birds, lowrance, and garmin on my boat at some point.  For me, lowrance was my least preferred.  Lithium's are a huge game changer especially for TM's.  I went with Impulse.  If you do decide the go that route, do your research-I got a pretty good deal on the setup.  I was under 1k for a 60ah 24v with dedicated 24v charger shipped to my door.  10yr warranty and power is absolutely insane.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top