Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/19/2019 7:54:40 PM EDT
My buddy just offered me 6 chickens and coop etc. for free. My wife and i have been wanting chickens since we bought 8 acres alittle over a year ago.

Apparently they arent ready to go outside yet but should be in a week or 2. What do I need to know?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Lock em in at night
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lock em in at night
View Quote
Well i figured that Definitely have predators around.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Stock up on ammo for the 12 gauge.  I loved having chickens, they are quite entertaining and fresh, free range eggs are fantastic.

But eventually the foxes found out where we lived.  After that, it was a constant battle.  I shot many of them (6-7, maybe more), but we kept losing chickens.  It seemed that as soon as replacements would start laying, they would get killed.

The only way we could keep them reasonably safe was to keep them penned up 24/7.  But then the eggs were not much better than ones we could buy in the store.  Reluctantly, we didn't replace the last few that were killed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Official Arfcom Chicken Thread!

Lots of good people and info there!
Welcome!
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Wife and I got 2 chickens, Barred Rocks, last year. They started laying July or August. We keep them in a 2-chicken coop, and keep that inside a dog run like this:

We've screened over the top with shade cloth. We've been lucky, no predators other than doggies have tried to get in and they were unsuccessful.

SIX chickens will net you 5-6 eggs per day! They say that home-raised chicken eggs produce less bad cholesterol, and more good cholesterol, than store-bought. But that's still a LOT of eggs! 2 a day is more than we like to eat (my son doesn't like eggs except to cook with).

One thing we learned is that chickens will peck at anything that is red (i.e. blood). This will keep an injured chicken from healing, so you'll have to remove her from the flock. There's a product called Peck No More that we used. Also there's a special chicken antibiotic, and a spray ointment to help them heal; these are useful.

Look at the chicken thread, this is all covered there!
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#7]
BYC  is one of the best information sites on chickens, any question you can think of, the answer is probably there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Look into Chicken Tractors (images link)
These provide an easy way to protect the birds and move them around outside.
They can be as simple or as elaborate as you want.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like this should be an interesting venture. It will be nice to not have to worry about getting eggs from the store and sounds like the chickens are realitvely low maintenance.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
The coop I'm getting is already set up on wheels

I'll just have to mount a hitch to it so I can use my tractor or quad to drag it around.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I had 12 of them for a while, they poo all over everything,  i have shy of 2 acres and they came up on the porch to poo

after i stepped in it enough i got rid of them.

the eggs were ok,  at first it was fun to watch them and the grandson had a blast with them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Owning 4 was interesting......for a while.

Our yard looked like this after about 2 months:
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e6/Chateauwood.jpg/1200px-Chateauwood.jpg
View Quote

Hey, I dont have to invest anything as I'm getting all of the stuff including the chickens given to me. I cant complain, we'll reassess after a year.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Where abouts in CT? I've got a good buddy up there that does chickens if you need any assistance in getting things going. Mostly eggs but some meat birds. He's in harwinton if your nearby.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where abouts in CT? I've got a good buddy up there that does chickens if you need any assistance in getting things going. Mostly eggs but some meat birds. He's in harwinton if your nearby.
View Quote
IIRC Harwington is a bit of a drive. I'm near Coventry.

Ironically my brother lives if FL, Orlando. Where about are you?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#16]
My 9 year old son wants chickens. He has no idea how much shit they generate. If they free range and you leave it outside, it will have chicken shit on it eventually. My grandfather had some huge pens with net on top to keep the hawks out after he free ranged for years. Even with that, he had to implement some controls. I was always surprised that an 80 year old man wearing bifocals could inflict so much predatory control with a Marlin 22.

He had to use an electric fence to keep them out of his garden too.

I'd build a big pen and a chicken tractor if I was gonna do it again, but I'm not going to.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Due West of there in Brooksville. About 2hrs. I used to live in terryville, moved 2 years ago and haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Due West of there in Brooksville. About 2hrs. I used to live in terryville, moved 2 years ago and haven't looked back.
View Quote
I know the area. Awesome man, my brother moved to FL 3 years ago and loves it. I love CT other than the politics.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wife and I got 2 chickens, Barred Rocks, last year. They started laying July or August. We keep them in a 2-chicken coop, and keep that inside a dog run like this:

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/651082/651082830032.jpg

We've screened over the top with shade cloth. We've been lucky, no predators other than doggies have tried to get in and they were unsuccessful.

SIX chickens will net you 5-6 eggs per day! They say that home-raised chicken eggs produce less bad cholesterol, and more good cholesterol, than store-bought. But that's still a LOT of eggs! 2 a day is more than we like to eat (my son doesn't like eggs except to cook with).

One thing we learned is that chickens will peck at anything that is red (i.e. blood). This will keep an injured chicken from healing, so you'll have to remove her from the flock. There's a product called Peck No More that we used. Also there's a special chicken antibiotic, and a spray ointment to help them heal; these are useful.

View Quote
I have similar pens for our chickens.  I bought ours at Lowes for about $230 and a roof kit at Tractor Supply for about $100 or so.  We usually let our girls out late in the afternoon to peck around the backyard, but they all go in to their coops at night.

If you have small kids, they will love them.  My daughter carries them around like pets.  She collects their eggs and fills their water each day, and my son feeds them in the morning.  They are pretty low maintenance and their eggs are much better than store-bought.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
He is not kidding about the yard looking like Agent Orange hit it.  Chickens will defoliate EVERYTHING except mature trees, and they will do it fast.   If you have landcaping you care about, they will make dust baths in the mulch.  They will eat the foliage.  They will eat the fruits of your labor.  They will pick the petals off the flowers. "ooooo...pretty colors!" Says the chicken.  Peck pull, peck pull...no more flower.

"OOOOOOOOO soft ground that's got lots of loose stuff in it.  Here let me fluff that up and take a bath in the dirt!"  Says the chicken.  No more mulch.

Chickens are awesome. I love the sounds they make.  Very soothing.  Chickens actually like people, in my experience.  Chickens are destructive to gardens unless they have LARGE amounts of space to run in.

Get the eggs quickly.  Don't let them lie around in the nest.  Chickens will accidentally break them, then eat the egg, then there is no going back.  That chicken will have to be history.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, I dont have to invest anything as I'm getting all of the stuff including the chickens given to me. I cant complain, we'll reassess after a year.
He is not kidding about the yard looking like Agent Orange hit it.  Chickens will defoliate EVERYTHING except mature trees, and they will do it fast.   If you have landcaping you care about, they will make dust baths in the mulch.  They will eat the foliage.  They will eat the fruits of your labor.  They will pick the petals off the flowers. "ooooo...pretty colors!" Says the chicken.  Peck pull, peck pull...no more flower.

"OOOOOOOOO soft ground that's got lots of loose stuff in it.  Here let me fluff that up and take a bath in the dirt!"  Says the chicken.  No more mulch.

Chickens are awesome. I love the sounds they make.  Very soothing.  Chickens actually like people, in my experience.  Chickens are destructive to gardens unless they have LARGE amounts of space to run in.

Get the eggs quickly.  Don't let them lie around in the nest.  Chickens will accidentally break them, then eat the egg, then there is no going back.  That chicken will have to be history.
Thanks, we have 8 acres (about 3 cleared) and the rest are woods. Hopefully they will stay out of the gardens and keep to the woods/fields. I will be sure to get the eggs quickly although fresh roasted chicken doesnt sound so bad
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks, we have 8 acres (about 3 cleared) and the rest are woods. Hopefully they will stay out of the gardens and keep to the woods/fields. I will be sure to get the eggs quickly although fresh roasted chicken doesnt sound so bad
View Quote
We keep ours penned up. Wife has a large victory garden; she's had chickens before and VERY firmly told me they will not run amok!
As for roasting them, I agree, but most roasters are no more than 6 months old or so. We just had a chicken presentation at my son's 4H, and thats what she told us.

She had a tiny little bird with her, looked like a large pheasant. She laid it on its side and drew a line in front of her beak with her finger; the chicken seemed to be sedated for about a minute. Anyone ever experience this? I tried it with my  birds but they wouldn't have any of it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Pick which buddy you will give the chickens and coop when you are tired of cleaning up and feeding.

Many can last a year.  Some can't.

Best advice is to make it your children's project.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#24]
In before” you got 6 roosters”

Ask me how I know.......
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Be prepared to be disappointed.

40 acres, no one around, no gardens, half woods - and their chicken coop is inside one set of woods.

They still shit everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In before” you got 6 roosters”

Ask me how I know.......
View Quote
That sucks. How'd they taste?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before" you got 6 roosters"

Ask me how I know.......
My first batch of chickens were straight run from Tractor Supply.  Six of the 10 I bought were roosters.  Because of an injury, I wasn't able to catch, kill and butcher 5 of them until they were 5 months or so.  We tried to eat one of the them.

The other four became frozen dog treats.  They loved them!  
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/651082/651082830032.jpg

View Quote
+1000

You want a hen house/coop surrounded by fencing, with something over the top as noted above (I use welded wire fencing).  You want to plug as many holes as you can.  You can also bury some 1/2" metal fencing a few inches below ground around the fence in case predators try to dig under it.

Never, ever, ever leave your chickens to free-range unless you're OK with losing them.  I've had a predator take a chicken with me no more than 30 feet away in some moderately thick brush.  If they see an opportunity, they take it.  We let our chickens out daily during the spring/summer/fall, but we always have eyes on them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e6/Chateauwood.jpg/1200px-Chateauwood.jpg
View Quote
As a poster in GD put it:  "If chickens could grow to 100 lbs, after a while, the Earth would be populated solely by 100 lbs chickens."

Link Posted: 4/7/2019 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
BYC  is one of the best information sites on chickens, any question you can think of, the answer is probably there.
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Stock up on ammo for the 12 gauge.  I loved having chickens, they are quite entertaining and fresh, free range eggs are fantastic.

But eventually the foxes found out where we lived.  After that, it was a constant battle.  I shot many of them (6-7, maybe more), but we kept losing chickens.  It seemed that as soon as replacements would start laying, they would get killed.

The only way we could keep them reasonably safe was to keep them penned up 24/7.  But then the eggs were not much better than ones we could buy in the store.  Reluctantly, we didn't replace the last few that were killed.
View Quote
Raccoons figured out how to open the pen door.  Lost 12 chickens over 2 nights.  I'm done until I get the Ft Knox of coops built this summer.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#32]
this by no means is meant to discourage you, or anyone from owning chickens, however after owning 12+ birds for a few years to going back to just buying farm fresh eggs when I need them I must say the burden of not having to carry feed, deal with hawks and other animals ( including my own shepherds) is bliss... I spent about 600 on a coop and pen, had automatic feeders/waters the whole works to make it as simple as possible, but in the end, I was just too time consuming and expensive of a hobby to make it worth it... I had so many eggs I couldnt even give them away fast enough, let alone sell them.. My property became a hawk/possum/fox drive thru... Nightly I was killing something in the yard, even with two german shepherds, and hawks were the worst, My run was not built right for my location, and that was my fault... the only thing chicken wire is good for is keeping chicken corrailed, do not expect it to keep things out... burry whatever fence you go with a good foot or two and surround the base of it with rocks, and check it often for signs of things tunneling in, and put metal roof over your run, A... as the poster above mentioned after about 2 weeks your gonna have nothing but a dirt hole, and the rain turns it into a giant mud pit that slowly erodes away the ground to where your fence is useless and B. birds of prey will dive bomb a fence and either get stuck in, or poke through and kill everything inside and get stuck inside...  I have been planning a new run, and toying with the idea of getting birds again, but everytime its -20 degrees outside, I think to myself thank god I dont have to go outside every few hours to water my birds... learn from my mistakes, hopefully its more enjoyable for you... Oh, and one last piece of advice, if your wife/girlfriend and kids wanna get chickens and promise to help out, remember once the novelty wears off (and it will) you will be the one stuck with all of the work..
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:55:34 AM EDT
[#33]
I've kept 14 hens and two roosters going by building a fort knox.
No chicken wire, get the green painted stuff that has holes like 3" by 1"  That is a roof.  down below they sell stuff that is 1/2" square.  It needs to be small enough that a raccoon can't get his hand in there but tough enough that a coyote can't bust through.  I basically built an A frame 20' tall aviary that hand walkways, ladders, ramps and all kind of cool stuff.  I have never had a problem with hawks, but lots of coyote prints on the side of my coop and of course raccoon.  The only thing that has died from my CCW is a couple of 'coons.   It is a fun hobby.   I got some eggs from amazon for" Buff Laced Polish hens".   2 out of 12 made it through my cheapo incubator.  But this one named Phyllis Diller would ride on the tractor with me.

Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:00:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol. This thread is funnier than anything in GD.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Everything seems to be going well, coop should be ready next week and thr birds should be ready for it shortly after that. They're getting big quick. The coop hasnt cost me much as I have been using pallets and crates from work to build it. I'm still exploring my fencing options for the run.

The kids and wife do most of the caring for them which is nice.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
this by no means is meant to discourage you, or anyone from owning chickens, however after owning 12+ birds for a few years to going back to just buying farm fresh eggs when I need them I must say the burden of not having to carry feed, deal with hawks and other animals ( including my own shepherds) is bliss... I spent about 600 on a coop and pen, had automatic feeders/waters the whole works to make it as simple as possible, but in the end, I was just too time consuming and expensive of a hobby to make it worth it... I had so many eggs I couldnt even give them away fast enough, let alone sell them.. My property became a hawk/possum/fox drive thru... Nightly I was killing something in the yard, even with two german shepherds, and hawks were the worst, My run was not built right for my location, and that was my fault... the only thing chicken wire is good for is keeping chicken corrailed, do not expect it to keep things out... burry whatever fence you go with a good foot or two and surround the base of it with rocks, and check it often for signs of things tunneling in, and put metal roof over your run, A... as the poster above mentioned after about 2 weeks your gonna have nothing but a dirt hole, and the rain turns it into a giant mud pit that slowly erodes away the ground to where your fence is useless and B. birds of prey will dive bomb a fence and either get stuck in, or poke through and kill everything inside and get stuck inside...  I have been planning a new run, and toying with the idea of getting birds again, but everytime its -20 degrees outside, I think to myself thank god I dont have to go outside every few hours to water my birds... learn from my mistakes, hopefully its more enjoyable for you... Oh, and one last piece of advice, if your wife/girlfriend and kids wanna get chickens and promise to help out, remember once the novelty wears off (and it will) you will be the one stuck with all of the work..
View Quote
I'm on my 2nd group of 12 or so and after 3 years, I'm about done.

Not because it's too much work; it isn't.  But because I am really really tired of the chickens getting in and shitting in my shop.  Not only the floors (that might be tolerable) but they get up on my work benches and - yep you guessed it - shit everywhere.  

I've got about 50 eggs in the frig, with another 8-10 coming in this morning.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Pro tip: Handle the  chickies often. If your chickens are used to being handled, they won't be so skittish when you, say, have to catch them to put them into the coop at night.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#38]
I grew up with free range chickens on 20 acres. It was possible to have gardens and predators didn’t decimate them, but there were some variables that factored into that.

First, we had two flocks that stayed separate. The first was a mixture of standard domestic chickens. The second was Florida Cracker “game” chickens, which were basically Red Jungle Fowl. The jungle fowl lived like wild turkeys and free ranged much further than the standard domestic breeds. They were the ones most likely to encounter predators but also the ones best at defeating predators. At night they roosted high in the trees while the domestic chickens roosted in the hen house. The jungle fowl makegood meat chickens but poor laying chickens because they won’t nest in the hen house. They nest in the woods.

We had free range dogs. The dogs went a long way in keeping snakes and mammal predators away. The only predator that required direct human intervention were hawks. And I think there are more hawks today than there were back then.

We kept the coop close to the house. Had the coop been far away from the house Im sure more predators would have made attempts to get in it.

Can’t say why they didn’t get into the gardens, except maybe the gardens were in open fields and the chickens despised being out in the open. They stuck to the woods and the fence lines where they had cover overhead.

We’re about to start up chickens on my current farm. But predators will be bad due to being in the actual undeveloped woods.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Chickens are easy to take care of. If you live in a rural area with fox, hawks, etc. just make sure to lock them in at night. We have ours in a neighborhood and they free range all day in the backyard and come back to the coop at night. Even the dogs have learned to protect them by barking when hawks come around. Haven't lost one in 3 years. Feed them a good organic "Layer" food and you will get the biggest, best tasting eggs you have ever had. Our are like pets at this point. They will jump into your lap if you let them. Oh, and get some dried meal worms as a treat. It's like crack to chickens.

One other point. Block any area off you don't want covered in crap. They will crap everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Oh, and get some dried meal worms as a treat. It's like crack to chickens.
View Quote
They also are easier to corral if they get out of the chicken pen. Mine aren't so tame, they run away from me, but for mealy worms they follow me like the Pied Piper.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Crap!  Accidentally killed one of my Leghorn hens yesterday.  Two of them were in my shop and I went to chase them out; typically I use a broom stick.  Usually I swat them across their butt to make my point.  Accidentally hit her behind the head, instant death.

Then later in the day, while feeding them some chicken treats (dry cat food), my Australorp rooster was acting like a real shit to my Barred Rock rooster; wouldn't let him get near the treats, chasing him away, snapping at him.  Got sick of it.  Took a Ruger to him.  No big loss there.

I'm gonna miss all those white eggs though.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Just learned something this morning.  If you end up losing your chickens to varmints immediately clean out and secure the coop or take it down.  Otherwise, you will be surprised by 3 damn raccoons a few weeks later when you finally get around to cleaning it.  Luckily I had my pistol with me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#43]
I've had chickens for years, down to 5 now, but getting rid of them.

Once I get done rebuilding the property, I may take them up again, but maybe not. But I think I now have an idea for the "ideal" coop, after a *few* different versions over the years.

If your in it for the eggs, it isn't cheaper than town (unless you buy $5 organic eggs in town).

If we didn't have kids playing in the grass and around everything else, I would keep some free-ranging just for insect control.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 1:33:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 1:35:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 2:03:00 AM EDT
[#46]
By the time you get the coop, fence, feed, dishes, auto door, pet dog to protect them, ducks and geese to keep them company, incubator, etc, etc, etc.....

you should be down to about $10 per egg.  I know I am at least that low.  Hoping for $9.50 in 6-8 years.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 6:49:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
By the time you get the coop, fence, feed, dishes, auto door, pet dog to protect them, ducks and geese to keep them company, incubator, etc, etc, etc.....

you should be down to about $10 per egg.  I know I am at least that low.  Hoping for $9.50 in 6-8 years.
View Quote
Quote for truth!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
12 is too many.

How the heck do they get in your shop?

Inquiring minds want to know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on my 2nd group of 12 or so and after 3 years, I'm about done.

Not because it's too much work; it isn't.  But because I am really really tired of the chickens getting in and shitting in my shop.  Not only the floors (that might be tolerable) but they get up on my work benches and - yep you guessed it - shit everywhere.  

I've got about 50 eggs in the frig, with another 8-10 coming in this morning.
12 is too many.

How the heck do they get in your shop?

Inquiring minds want to know.
The same way my tractor, RTV and ZTR get in - through the doors.  It's where I feed my dogs and cats.  And chickens go nuts for dog and cat food.  

It's gotten better though:  If I open the chicken run to let the chickens out, I keep the shop closed up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:21:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Fun fact: Chickens go nuts for mealy worms! It's good to remember this; if they go somewhere you don't want them to go, you bring out a can of worms (no pun intended) and feed them one at a time, doing a 'Pied Piper' sort of thing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Fun fact: Chickens go nuts for mealy worms! It's good to remember this; if they go somewhere you don't want them to go, you bring out a can of worms (no pun intended) and feed them one at a time, doing a 'Pied Piper' sort of thing.
View Quote
Would live night crawlers work? I find a ton everytime I dig.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top