Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2019 6:43:47 AM EDT
I finally bit the bullet so to speak and am headed to Colorado in the fall.  First rifle season, for my first ever elk hunt. I will likely grab a bear tag since they appear to have dropped them to $100. Is that a decent time of year to come across a bear??

I have been putting it off for a while, and finally realized I am not getting any younger, and neither are the guys I grew up hunting with.

I have been reading up on the subject for a while, but much more intensely, now that it is a reality.

I should have just about everything I need, except data on my 300 win mag which will be gathered over the next few months.  I am going to use this as an excuse to spend a pile of money on a really good set of boots.  I'm thinking of having my feet scanned/measured by a running shop??  It was mentioned to me, and sounds like a good idea, so I know which way to steer when boot shopping.

Any little things that may seem trivial, that may make my trip better??

Also, is there anything you guys have found to help with the altitude??  Cardio, in general, is not much of an issue, but I have never been anywhere near the 8000' plus mark.  I heard about something a dr can prescribe for it?  No idea what its called.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#1]
You might want to do some research on altitude sickness.........from Ohio to 8000'  Colorado is pretty harsh --- and sudden--- change.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DanaHillen:
You might want to do some research on altitude sickness.........from Ohio to 8000'  Colorado is pretty harsh --- and sudden--- change.
View Quote
This.  Planning on arriving a few (3+) days early to acclimatize.  During those days especially, get a full nights sleep each day, stay fully hydrated, don’t over eat , and don’t over exert.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#3]
We are fat on bears.  Get that tag and smoke one, I see several during archery.  The sows will still have Cubs, look for a big boar.
One killed a game cam I had on a wallow, just chewed the hell out of it.  It probably smelled like beef jerky that was in my pack.

Practice shooting from field positions, most of my elk have been shot well under 100 yards, but know your setup.   Sometimes you end up reaching out 3-400.

The boot thing is totally an individual choice.  Waterproof and breathable of course, I don’t like a heavily insulated one.
Gaiters are awesome when it is wet/snowy, otherwise I don’t wear them.

The altitude thing, other than being in shape not much you can do.
Low dose aspirin might help, not drinking a lot of alcohol and pounding water will help.

Just come out, have fun and clean up your trash.  Don’t forget chapstick and sunscreen.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 8:50:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#4]
First poster is correct about the altitude issue.  You didn't say where you are hunting.  We always hunted first season as well  because it was usually before much serious snow where we hunted.  That could mean you are at 8,000 ft all the way up to near 10,000 feet.   It could also mean that you have to do quite a bit of vertical elevation change when hunting or not.  Going early is a good idea but you need to slowly increase your physical activity over those days as well.  It isn't just the altitude but the physical exertion at altitude that is a bitch.

My father, brother and I used to hunt around Vallicito Reservoir, east of Durango.  Every year I would fly in from Virginia two days before the hunt.  I would feel a little lightheaded and not sleep all that well at 8,000 in the hotel.  Next morning we would load out the horses with with the outfitter we used to haul our equipment and ride up the mountain to camp which was right around 9,000 ft.  Once we got there we would dump our crap, pitch the the tent and set up the rest of camp.  I would be winded just from that and at the time I was in reasonable shape.

The first night on the mountain at about 2 AM was when I would get really sick.  Pounding headache, nausea, vomiting..completely miserable for several hours despite a staying hydrated.  I tried most of the common meds for altitude sickness.  None worked very well for me to prevent it so I just resigned myself to spending a few hours puking on opening day.  On the plus side I killed my biggest bull within 50 yards of camp at about 10 AM because I felt too shitty to go to my normal spot early and had just hauled my ass out of the tent and propped up by a tree when some hunters lower on the mountain pushed up a couple of cows and a nice bull out into the park.

Regardless, go once and you will get hooked.  Best hunting experiences of my life, but then again I love the mountains and killing an elk while being there in the fall was just a bonus.

Originally Posted By 3BP:

Also, is there anything you guys have found to help with the altitude??  Cardio, in general, is not much of an issue, but I have never been anywhere near the 8000' plus mark.  I heard about something a dr can prescribe for it?  No idea what its called.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote
The med is probably acetazolamide (Diamox).  Didn't do crap for me to prevent it.  I ended up just using ondansetron after the fact for the nausea.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
The altitiude is definitely my biggest concern.  Never been exposed to it, so I have no clue what to expect.

I stay in decent shape, don't drink, and ususally don't over eat, so hopefully all that wil help.

Chapstick is something I never leave home without, but never thought about suncreen!

Area will be NW Colorado.  GMU 22 mostly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Tire chains.  I know 22 well, anything can happen weather wise but it’ll probably be nice.    The worst is when you get a dump of heavy wet snow and the roads turn to gumbo.

This pic was from a second season in 22, setting up camp a few days earlier we were stripped down to the waist.   I wouldn’t have gotten out without chains.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top