Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/11/2019 3:59:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye]
Put in for Wyoming tags and somehow drew with only 1 preference point. Wasn't expecting to draw, so now I am trying to prepare and need some advice.

There will be a group of 4 of us (3 have tags and 1 is coming to help out). This will be self guided so we are going to have to learn as we go. Also, this will be a public land rifle hunt.

I'm mainly looking for suggestions on gear. What have you brought that worked well? Anything that you brought that was useless?

Things I am looking into right now:

GPS: Looking at the Garmin Foretrex 601. It's nice and compact and can be worn on the wrist or attached to a pack.

Looking for a pack. I have no idea where to go with this one. Would something like the Eberlestock M5 Team Elk Pack be good? Anything else I should be looking at?

I'm going to pick up some new boots and start breaking them in now. Any suggestions? Would some Merril high top waterproof hiking boots be fine?

Looking at picking up a Kestrel possibly with the Applied Ballistics app. Is this necessary?

We are thinking of splitting up into two groups of two. I have some radios (Baofeng UV-5R) that aren't the best, but could be helpful if there is no cell service. Would this be helpful?

Spotting scope necessary? Or would binos be fine?

Also need a new range finder. Was thinking about picking up a SilencerCo Radius to mount to the gun. Would I be better off just buying a hand held? What would you suggest?

Anything else you can think of that would help out a first timer?
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 4:26:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ag04blast] [#1]
I'll start that I havent Elk hunted in Wyoming, but:

1) Radios - be careful many states have restrictions on electronic measures to aid in hunting and use of radios can be viewed as one.  For emergency/etc. make sure you have planned times and met up locations, etc.

2) GPS - many great units out there, I am still using a 10yr old Garmin.  Know how to use it and, again state dependent, make sure your maps show private land!

3) Pack - Eberlestock is GTG but pricey.  I use a Crooked Horn pack, which I dont think they make any more.  If you pack out meat your needs may vary. I use 2 different packs - a bow hunter style hip pack with shoulder harness to my long day treks and then a large internal frame Crooked Horn pack for carrying meat out (retrieve it after a kill).

4) Kestrel - would be nice but not worth the money.  Use a good ballistic app and know your distances and holds.  Depending on terrain I find a good range finder with angle capability much more important.

5)  Boots - I used to be a merril fan but their quality isnt what it used to be.  BE CAREFUL with anything labeled waterproof, because it may not be.  Pre-test your gear.

Other general comments:

-layers are always better than high dollar fancy single specific use clothing
-I always have two sets of boots a lighter weight par and a heavy snow boot for days that we get a big hit of snow - again I dont know what your weather will be like
-be smart about your gear, all sorts of shit sounds great on day one but a couple extra pounds gets heavy if you are doing lots of hiking
-dont know how you will hunt but typically he who covers the most ground sees the most elk
-I dont mess with a spotting scope, rather stick with good binos with a nice chest rig (I use the Crooked Horn and it has been great for the last 8yrs)
-dont be discouraged, elk are smart and hard to find
-we typically rent a sat phone for camp, prices are pretty cheap and we are always 2hrs from cell service
-we use ATVs to cover more ground as we are unable to pre-scout.  Despite our best efforts of using sat images to find good places we want to hunt when we get there a lot can have changed or be different and ATVs work well to not mess with moving camp and be able to travel to other locations before we hit out on foot.
-I like a safari sling, you can carry in a number of positions which helps based on the terrain and if you get fatigue with certain shoulder positions

Again I dont know what Wyoming is like but we do a lot of miles on foot, and as tough as it is, I love it.

Our crew is completely self taught over the years.  I would say read lots, leverage websites for info, talk to locals if you can (even the game warden), and have fun.

Ill add, Here I posted our typical camp setup.  We starting in regular dome tents yr one and froze our asses off!
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 4:45:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye] [#2]
Thank you for the response!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
1) Radios - be careful many states have restrictions on electronic measures to aid in hunting and use of radios can be viewed as one.  For emergency/etc. make sure you have planned times and met up locations, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I didn't even think about radios aiding in hunts. I will definitely check into that.

-dont know how you will hunt but typically he who covers the most ground sees the most elk
This is our plan. Going to pick up some new boots and start hiking with pack with some weight in it.

-we typically rent a sat phone for camp, prices are pretty cheap and we are always 2hrs from cell service
What is the best way to go about renting one? I think it would be good to have one.

-we use ATVs to cover more ground as we are unable to pre-scout.  Despite our best efforts of using sat images to find good places we want to hunt when we get there a lot can have changed or be different and ATVs work well to not mess with moving camp and be able to travel to other locations before we hit out on foot.
We have a crew cab Polaris Ranger that we are thinking about putting on the trailer and bringing out.

Our crew is completely self taught over the years.  I would say read lots, leverage websites for info, talk to locals if you can (even the game warden), and have fun.
This is our plan. We decided to do self guided and learn on our own. Luckily I do know someone who lives out there and might be able to help us out and maybe guild us a little.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Spring for a Garmin Montana or equal.  And then the extra hundred for the satellite/hi quality map chip.

You could alternatively use the OnX app on your phone.  Most new phones will work well as a gps running that app or a similar one, even out of cell coverage.  And count on being out of cell coverage.  About 100 bucks for the good app.  Either of these will have land ownership overlays, critical out west.    Get caught on the wrong side of the property line and it can get pretty bad with the law.

The detail of the maps will be valuable, and will save a lot of time.

The little wrist gps might make a good backup.

Packs are like holsters, one rarely works for everybody.   I cheaped it out with less expensive badlands and such for years.  
Spring for a good one.  Stone glacier, eberlestock, etc.  I bought a Kuiu a few years back and wish I had done it sooner.  Great pack.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 4:56:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ag04blast] [#4]
Originally Posted By sbye:

I didn't even think about radios aiding in hunts. I will definitely check into that.

This is our plan. Going to pick up some new boots and start hiking with pack with some weight in it.

What is the best way to go about renting one? I think it would be good to have one.

We have a crew cab Polaris Ranger that we are thinking about putting on the trailer and bringing out.

This is our plan. We decided to do self guided and learn on our own. Luckily I do know someone who lives out there and might be able to help us out and maybe guild us a little.
View All Quotes

I rent Sat phones from these guys: here. Usually get the "weekly globalstar phone".  Dont try to purchase through the website, give them a call and order via phone, they will prorate the week down to specific dates.

I forgot to add- bring comfortable camp shoes!  After hiking all f-in day you want to relax your dogs in some comfy shoes.

Make sure if you bring an ATV/SxS you know the rules of where you can drive.  Many states require you to purchase an off highway vehicle sticker (usually pretty cheap) and there are many time rules about how you can carry your "hunting rifle".  In CO you can carry a loaded gun on you such as a pistol, but on your ATV your hunting rifle must be in a hard case and unloaded, not in a rack or bag.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want us to help you spend your money, get a Kuiu, something in the 3000ci range.   Mine is a ultra 3000, holds plenty for a long day, with room to stow clothes as you peel off layers.

Room to sling an elk quarter in too, if you get lucky.  Don’t forget game bags, get the canvas ones or use some big pillow cases.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Porters to pack in the camp and pack out the quartered elk. At least two shotgunners for bear.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate all the advice! Does anyone have a good boot recommendation? There shouldn't be any snow where we will be.

Spring for a Garmin Montana or equal.  And then the extra hundred for the satellite/hi quality map chip.
View Quote
Checking these out. Seems like the most recent one is the Garmin Montana 680t. I've found the 600's for quite a bit cheaper, so I am going to try to do some research on the differences and chip compatibility. I noticed that it says to pick a state for the chip.. Can it only be used for one state?

Make sure if you bring an ATV/SxS you know the rules of where you can drive. Many states require you to purchase an off highway vehicle sticker (usually pretty cheap) and there are many time rules about how you can carry your "hunting rifle". In CO you can carry a loaded gun on you such as a pistol, but on your ATV your hunting rifle must be in a hard case and unloaded, not in a rack or bag.
View Quote
Good advice. This I am still checking into.

Porters to pack in the camp and pack out the quartered elk. At least two shotgunners for bear.
View Quote
There are 4 of us, so we will be packing everything out.

I don't think we will be hauling around shotguns due to weight. However, we will all be carrying sidearms (I still need to confirm that this is legal).
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, with the Garmin you have to pick a state.  The OnX app is pretty nice and gives the same detail, but it has been buggy on my phone.  It works most of the time thought.

Boots are going to be a personal choice, I have to buy whatever fits since my feet are 12eeeeee.   Been wearing the keen low tops for archery and gaiters when needed.

OnX app pic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 6:55:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#9]
OP, a spotting scope is a good have especially for elk, its not just a matter of finding them, its also being able to judge from a distance weather they are worth pursuing or not...As with all optics..money equals clarity...  but for a cheaper,  easily packable scope for hiking, it would be hard to beat the vortex nomad..it is under 4 bills if you look around, it has excellent glass for the price and its light enough to not hate packing it along on foot...same with the vortex summit tripod..very light,  very compact, very capable tripod that doesn't suck to carry all day..I have the nomad 20-60-65 and the new razor2  27-60-85 spotter..the nomad is surprisingly good for the price...I would never pack the razor on foot, but have packed the nomad years ago..it was great...

As for a kestrel and BC app,  depends...how far can you shoot? if you need to reach much past 3-4 hundreds yards, unless you all know your rifles/ammo like the back of your hand,  then I would want one, but I would combine it with a range finder..so for me a Sig Kilo 2400 which has weather/BCC app/ range finder all in one... Which as long as you input accurate info will spit out extremely accurate dope for your rifle..good thing is it will hold 4 different rifles at once so you could have one for each hunter...It will quantify for everything, distance/temp/pressure/altitude/angle/even direction for corolais  and spin drift..But if you plan to shoot long,  you need to make sure you, the rifle and the ammo are 100% dialed...I go so far every year as to bring a crony and make the boys shoot over it when we check zero's at hunting camp,  just to make sure we have accurate velocity for the RF app...

I  would also bring a good Garmin gps with topo on it..make sure you way point the parking lot, the trail in, camp and your daily hikes so if you have to return in the dark you can use the GPS to get back...My buddies bought the handheld Garmin radio/gps deals..they have had nothing but issues with them...I  have an ancient old Garmin V that still chugs right along and still saves the day once in a while...
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Anything else you can think of that would help out a first timer?
View Quote
I'm sure the gear will get covered.  What I recommend is getting in shape by walking varied terrain and eventually carrying a weighted pack.  Depends on what Area you drew the terrain can be demanding.

As I live in the flatland's of Florida I'll start my training in April when turkey season ends.  I drew a tag in Area 35 which I hunted before and will be ready.  Good luck OP on your adventure.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
I'll start that I havent Elk hunted in Wyoming, but:

2) GPS - many great units out there, I am still using a 10yr old Garmin.  Know how to use it and, again state dependent, make sure your maps show private land!

3) Pack - Eberlestock is GTG but pricey.  I use a Crooked Horn pack, which I dont think they make any more.  If you pack out meat your needs may vary. I use 2 different packs - a bow hunter style hip pack with shoulder harness to my long day treks and then a large internal frame Crooked Horn pack for carrying meat out (retrieve it after a kill).

4) Kestrel - would be nice but not worth the money.  Use a good ballistic app and know your distances and holds.  Depending on terrain I find a good range finder with angle capability much more important.

5)  Boots - I used to be a merril fan but their quality isnt what it used to be.  BE CAREFUL with anything labeled waterproof, because it may not be.  Pre-test your gear.

Other general comments:

-layers are always better than high dollar fancy single specific use clothing
-I always have two sets of boots a lighter weight par and a heavy snow boot for days that we get a big hit of snow - again I dont know what your weather will be like
-be smart about your gear, all sorts of shit sounds great on day one but a couple extra pounds gets heavy if you are doing lots of hiking
-I dont mess with a spotting scope, rather stick with good binos with a nice chest rig (I use the Crooked Horn and it has been great for the last 8yrs)
-dont be discouraged, elk are smart and hard to find
-I like a safari sling, you can carry in a number of positions which helps based on the terrain and if you get fatigue with certain shoulder positions

Again I dont know what Wyoming is like but we do a lot of miles on foot, and as tough as it is, I love it.

Ill add, Here I posted our typical camp setup.  We starting in regular dome tents yr one and froze our asses off!
View Quote
I agree, I hunt Montana, the radios would get you a confiscated rifle.

You don't need a wrist GPS, you aren't going to be looking at it that much if you have any sense of direction.

LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT gear, if it is like montana, you are up and down hill allot.

Layers

Good luck, learn signs and tracking, pray for new snow and shoot straight !
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:07:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#12]
He said light. 3x.   Believe him.   One reason  I went Kuiu for a pack.

Damn camelbak full of water is near 10#.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:19:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#13]
I am using zamberlin guide boots and really like them. I would buy them again.

A pack is a very personal fit. Try many to find the right one. Kuiu, stone glacier, mystery ranch are all tops. I have a mystery ranch Metcalf and like it. The question of a spotting scope depends on what you want to shoot. Any bull elk? Good binos will work. If you want to higrade a bull then you will want a spotter. It can save you miles and a lot of vertical if you don’t want to shoot a rag horn. Kestrel will just be extra weight in the pack. Hand held rangefinder for sure. I use a Garmin 650 and onX. Liking onX more and more.

Other stuff: don’t pass on an elk the first day that you would shoot on the last. Figure out which electrolyte drinks and gu products your body likes. They can keep you going. I use Gu, Hammer gel, cliff blocks, heed and recoverite. French press in camp. Experiment now with freeze dried foods, some will make your gut bind or blow. Get one of the replaceable blade razor knifes. I use one of those and a nice custom to get through an elk. Good sock like smart wool are your friend. Hike with your pack on to train. Shoot 3 times as much as you think you need to. Lots of field position shooting off your pack. Water filter.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Capt_Jerry:

I'm sure the gear will get covered.  What I recommend is getting in shape by walking varied terrain and eventually carrying a weighted pack.  Depends on what Area you drew the terrain can be demanding.

As I live in the flatland's of Florida I'll start my training in April when turkey season ends.  I drew a tag in Area 35 which I hunted before and will be ready.  Good luck OP on your adventure.
View Quote
Don't know where the OP is coming from but yeah, tons of exercise. The altitude can kick your ass even if you're in fairly good shape if you''re coming from sea level. Elk hunting can be damn hard work, especially if you're hunting an area with restricted vehicle access.

Hunting areas out west are spotted with private, State, BLM and National Forrest land, a GPS with onX is very handy. Years before GPS I have passed on many shots because there was a question whether it was on public or private land (fence lines and markers can be off by quite a lot).
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Do not waste your money on a dedicated GPS if you don’t already own one. Get OnX Hunt app for your phone and a 4000+ mIlliamp battery pack (less than 1lb and $25ish). I have a Garmin GPS I take purely as a backup and haven’t even turned it on once in the last three seasons.

Buy good game bags and a replaceable blade knife (Onyx EDC is only about $25).

EXO 3500 pack

Binoculars on a tripod unless you’re hunting an extremely open desert-type unit then take binoculars on a tripod and a spotting scope. Even then you’ll probably not use the spotter.

Handheld rangefinder. Much more versatile and carries in a pouch. Rifles get heavy as it is in the mountains.

If no snow (even with snow for me) Keen Targhee II boots). You’ll need gaiters anyway if there is snow so taller boots don’t accomplish anything but being heavier.

Kenetrek gaiters because there will probably be snow

Always carry an ultralight silnylon tarp as an emergency shelter. Weighs about 9oz and has saved me from wind, rain, and hail storms several times.

Have a horse packer lined up before season. Start calling now. Best $500ish you’ll spend on your hunt if you need him.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:20:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: researchanddestroy] [#16]
Knowing nithing of specifically where you will be, here is some of my generic advice. This is mostly stream of consciousness, so excuse the wierd format. Also on my phone. PM me if you want to talk more details, and I may be able to help with more specifics for your area.

As a former flat lander I have learned all these lessons the hard way.

Buy the lightest, quality gear you can. Did I mention light? Very, very light. Dont skimp on your pack, boots, and socks especially. Get gps with detailed maps or onx.

Buy a set of gaiters to go over your boots to keep mud and snow out. Essential gear in my area.

I'm digging the Kifaru pack I lucked into. Kuiu, mystery ranch, stone glacier are also good. Be prepared for sticker shock, but you and your back will think its worth it after hauling out a massive animal

Check Sierra Trading Post's website for awesome deals on boots, socks, layers, etc.

Consider something like the garmin montana. Think about a spot or inreach.

One thing I learned: your gear doesnt need to be all one make and your underbritches dont need to be camo. Mountaineering/outdoorsy base/mid layers can be cheaper and more efficient. I like to layer synthetic fabric and then merino for the underlayers.

Smartwool makes awesome socks.

This may seem obvious, but don't forget your hunter orange (or pink now too). My best luck has been a ball cap and beanie. The two can be combined for a warm combo, and take up less space/bother than a vest or something. Also, I damn near blinded myself forgetting sunglasses season before last.

Get a good set of rain gear. My kuiu set weighs nothing and works pretty dang well. Their cheapest model I believe. Works for bad snow too.

Soft shell jacket and pants made my life so much easier. Rain layers over that if the weather is dicey. Puffy stuff for insulation. I skipped the hard shell gortex jacket after my first morning because I sweated way more than I thought I would at 18 degrees and 10000 feet. My hard shells only come out for bad weather now.

Start getting in good shape. If you are in good shape, then get in better shape. Get used to walking up and down steep grades with a heavy pack. A trecking pole or two for packing out your animal may be useful. I have ditched my metal frame gear hauling pack for something expandable and light with a good suspension.

Shoot your first legal elk. You may not see another.

Dont get caught up in mega calibers, .308 and 7mm-08 work plenty, are easier to practice with, lighter, and still kill elk dead, unless at super long range. Kestrel would be sitting st camp after the first morning. SiCo radius would be sitting next to it.

I have two sets of boots, insulated and uninsulated. Make sure both fit well, are broken in, and fit with your thickest socks on. They dont need to be camo or hunting specific, but buy the best quality you can and be on the lookout for deals.

Depending on your sleeping accommodations, you may need a warmer sleeping bag than you think. I have been playing catch up to my buddies super warm cabelas bargain basement $30 sleeping bag, and my expensive down deals just aren't as warm. Waking up with an inch of ice on your bag sucks, as do cold feet, butts, and zipper area. Still looking for the best answer here.

I have had frozen nalgenes and camelbaks before, and it sucked. Keep your water from freezing. I got an insuled hydration bladder/tube that seems to work well. Blow air into the tube when you are done drinking to keep it from freezing. Store your nalgene upside down at night and in the severe cold because the frozen portion will be at the bottom when you drink. A cooler also can keep your water above freezing during a hunt. Sometimes if its really cold, the little single water bottles can freeze solid on opening due to pressure and some sort of physics alchemy. Its scary and I didn't like it lol.

The nights will be beautiful.

You will probably cover more ground than you thought.

I had no idea what to expect my first time, and my area was different than I imagined. I rarely see elk past 50 yards due to heavy timber and blow downs. Lots of hiking, stalking, and elevation changes. I imagined 1000 yard shots and doing lots of sitting and glassing. My big binoculars and spotting scope stay home. But you may need them.

Hope some of this helps.

ETA, forgot about game bags. Seriously don't forget those.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:38:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: J-L] [#17]
Great info above , as my gear has progressed over the years
I’m of the opinion but once cry once
Some of tips (again a lot of this has already been mentioned)
- zamberlan boots
- if you’re a first responder or mil register for guidefitter. Lots of great pro deals
And where I got the zamberlans
- sig kilo 2400 , trust me on this spring for one
- I just use the onX app on my iPhone I back packed in for three days kept my phone in a zip lock at all times
Carried two batteries and it worked perfect, don’t even use my Garmin anymore
- I do plan on buying a wrist mount Suunto this year for a back up
- if you get binos don’t get huge ones unless you’re trying to count length of tines etc
- Black ovis game bags - again worth it - after I got my bull this year I soaked them in bleach water then machine washed them
My wife bitched a little bit whatev
And they look new now
- havalon piranta knife with a bunch of spare blades from amazon, multi tool
To switch out blades when they dull so you don’t cut yourself
- see if you know anyone who has a Epi pen , try and get an old case to throw
The dull blades in
- I carry two nalgenes and and a msr filter so I can top off when I’m out in
The field and I don’t need to carry 15 pounds of water , and some iodine
Tablets for insurance , Gatorade powder in a zip lock baggie to
- head lamp with red lense and Dimmable

If I think of anything else I’ll post it

Humble Brag

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:42:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: J-L] [#18]
DVCER is spot on on everything

- gaiters

- you don’t have to buy the newest camo pattern Gucci shit

- I just just buy all my stuff from outdoor research In neutral colors
So I can use it outside of hunting

- several merino wool base layers in different weights

- and again spring for a good down jacket I wear my skiing as well
And throughout the winter - it’s a northface black jacket and the elk didn’t
Seem to care
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:55:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye] [#19]
Wow. I hadn't looked at this thread in over 12 hours and you guys gave me a ton of great info. Thank you!

One thing... What do you guys recommend on learning how to quarter an elk? I have done whitetail deer, but never an elk. Kind of similar, but on a larger scale? lol

I didn't quote everything, but I do plan to layer my clothes. I like the softshell idea with separate rain gear.

As for a kestrel and BC app,  depends...how far can you shoot? if you need to reach much past 3-4 hundreds yards, unless you all know your rifles/ammo like the back of your hand,  then I would want one, but I would combine it with a range finder..so for me a Sig Kilo 2400 which has weather/BCC app/ range finder all in one... Which as long as you input accurate info will spit out extremely accurate dope for your rifle..good thing is it will hold 4 different rifles at once so you could have one for each hunter...It will quantify for everything, distance/temp/pressure/altitude/angle/even direction for corolais  and spin drift..But if you plan to shoot long,  you need to make sure you, the rifle and the ammo are 100% dialed...I go so far every year as to bring a crony and make the boys shoot over it when we check zero's at hunting camp,  just to make sure we have accurate velocity for the RF app...
View Quote
I have a 1,000 yard range 1.5 hours from my house, so I am comfortable shooting pretty far... I think my comfort level is going to depend on how confident I am in my dope when I am actually in Wyoming. I do have a Magnetospeed V3 Chrono that I plan to bring with me, but I need to find a range for when we first get out there so I can confirm that my ballistic chart is correct.

I am in Michigan, so my altitude is only about 920 feet. Wyoming is going to be a bit different lol.

I'm sure the gear will get covered. What I recommend is getting in shape by walking varied terrain and eventually carrying a weighted pack. Depends on what Area you drew the terrain can be demanding.

As I live in the flatland's of Florida I'll start my training in April when turkey season ends. I drew a tag in Area 35 which I hunted before and will be ready. Good luck OP on your adventure.
View Quote
Yeah, getting in shape is one of my priorities. I'm not too out of shape, but right now the only thing I have been doing is playing hockey 2 times per week. Definitely going to have to get out walking/jogging and pick up a pack now to start carrying.

View Quote
This is good to know. I think we will just end up renting 2 sat phones. There are 4 of us, but the plan is to split up into two groups of two. Then if someone is able to take an elk, call the other group and have them come help.

View Quote
Thanks! I am going to check them out. I have never heard of them.

A pack is a very personal fit. Try many to find the right one. Kuiu, stone glacier, mystery ranch are all tops. I have a mystery ranch Metcalf and like it. The question of a spotting scope depends on what you want to shoot. Any bull elk? Good binos will work. If you want to higrade a bull then you will want a spotter. It can save you miles and a lot of vertical if you don’t want to shoot a rag horn. Kestrel will just be extra weight in the pack. Hand held rangefinder for sure. I use a Garmin 650 and onX. Liking onX more and more.
View Quote
I drew a general tag, so I need to confirm the zones and dates I plan to hunt. I was looking at zones 15 & 21 in Southern WY because I have a friend who lives out that way & will probably be able to help us out quite a bit if he is available. My plan is to shoot a bull elk, and I don't plan to be very picky on what I take. This would be my first elk, so I am just hoping to learn a lot. I can start being picky as I get more experience.

I did check out the Metcalf. It's pricy, but looks awesome. I don't mind spending more to get something nice. I just need a pack to get in with everything I need and get out carrying meat.

I definitely plan to bring a handheld range finder. I just need to figure out which one.

I am going to get OnX. I just need to figure out if I will use a GPS or my phone. I will probably end up using my phone because I will be carrying it anyway, and I have a 20,000mah battery that I can bring.

Other stuff: don’t pass on an elk the first day that you would shoot on the last. Figure out which electrolyte drinks and gu products your body likes. They can keep you going. I use Gu, Hammer gel, cliff blocks, heed and recoverite. French press in camp. Experiment now with freeze dried foods, some will make your gut bind or blow. Get one of the replaceable blade razor knifes. I use one of those and a nice custom to get through an elk. Good sock like smart wool are your friend. Hike with your pack on to train. Shoot 3 times as much as you think you need to. Lots of field position shooting off your pack. Water filter.

Good luck!
View Quote
This is great advice that I didn't think of. I will start looking into some foods and drinks. I will also get a water filter.

I do need a new knife.

Don't know where the OP is coming from but yeah, tons of exercise. The altitude can kick your ass even if you're in fairly good shape if you''re coming from sea level. Elk hunting can be damn hard work, especially if you're hunting an area with restricted vehicle access.
View Quote
Yeah, I am from MI. Elevation of only 920 feet.

Do not waste your money on a dedicated GPS if you don’t already own one. Get OnX Hunt app for your phone and a 4000+ mIlliamp battery pack (less than 1lb and $25ish). I have a Garmin GPS I take purely as a backup and haven’t even turned it on once in the last three seasons.
View Quote
This is what I am leaning toward. I have a 20k mah battery that should give me plenty of battery life. I think I will grab a Garmin Foretrex 401 as a backup.

Binoculars on a tripod unless you’re hunting an extremely open desert-type unit then take binoculars on a tripod and a spotting scope. Even then you’ll probably not use the spotter.
View Quote
I am leaning toward binos, plus it should save a little weight.

If no snow (even with snow for me) Keen Targhee II boots). You’ll need gaiters anyway if there is snow so taller boots don’t accomplish anything but being heavier.

View Quote
Thanks, I will check these out!

Originally Posted By researchanddestroy:
View Quote
Tons of good advice, thank you! I will be hunting in Southern Wyoming. Most likely areas 15 & 21.

I will pick up smartwool socks. Everyone is recommending them.

I will bring a hunter orange hat

I am shooting a 308. My father will be shooting a 300 win mag.

For sleeping accommodations, we're not going to rough it. The plan is to get a hotel somewhat nearby and make our way back to the vehicle before dark. I kind of want to rough it for the experience, but my old man isn't going to be having that lol.
I still need to talk to my friend about this to get a better idea of the area we will be hunting. My concern with the hotel is that we won't be able to cover as much ground and see as many elk...

For terrain, I honestly have no idea what to expect. I need to get some more info from a friend of mine who lives there.

sig kilo 2400 , trust me on this spring for one
View Quote
I will check it out

havalon piranta knife with a bunch of spare blades from amazon, multi tool
View Quote
I will check this out. I need a new knife.

View Quote

I am planning to do this as well

Humble Brag
View Quote
That is awesome! Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 11:07:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye] [#20]
This is the elk my friend got the year before last. Hopefully he can find some similar ones for us lol
He took this with a bow.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn that's a nice bull.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:52:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: researchanddestroy] [#22]
Wow. I hadn't looked at this thread in over 12 hours and you guys gave me a ton of great info. Thank you!

One thing... What do you guys recommend on learning how to quarter an elk? I have done whitetail deer, but never an elk. Kind of similar, but on a larger scale? lol

I didn't quote everything, but I do plan to layer my clothes. I like the softshell idea with separate rain gear.

I have a 1,000 yard range 1.5 hours from my house, so I am comfortable shooting pretty far... I think my comfort level is going to depend on how confident I am in my dope when I am actually in Wyoming. I do have a Magnetospeed V3 Chrono that I plan to bring with me, but I need to find a range for when we first get out there so I can confirm that my ballistic chart is correct.

I am in Michigan, so my altitude is only about 920 feet. Wyoming is going to be a bit different lol.

Yeah, getting in shape is one of my priorities. I'm not too out of shape, but right now the only thing I have been doing is playing hockey 2 times per week. Definitely going to have to get out walking/jogging and pick up a pack now to start carrying.

This is good to know. I think we will just end up renting 2 sat phones. There are 4 of us, but the plan is to split up into two groups of two. Then if someone is able to take an elk, call the other group and have them come help.

I drew a general tag, so I need to confirm the zones and dates I plan to hunt. I was looking at zones 15 & 21 in Southern WY because I have a friend who lives out that way & will probably be able to help us out quite a bit if he is available. My plan is to shoot a bull elk, and I don't plan to be very picky on what I take. This would be my first elk, so I am just hoping to learn a lot. I can start being picky as I get more experience.

I did check out the Metcalf. It's pricy, but looks awesome. I don't mind spending more to get something nice. I just need a pack to get in with everything I need and get out carrying meat.

I definitely plan to bring a handheld range finder. I just need to figure out which one.

I am going to get OnX. I just need to figure out if I will use a GPS or my phone. I will probably end up using my phone because I will be carrying it anyway, and I have a 20,000mah battery that I can bring.

This is great advice that I didn't think of. I will start looking into some foods and drinks. I will also get a water filter.

I do need a new knife.

This is what I am leaning toward. I have a 20k mah battery that should give me plenty of battery life. I think I will grab a Garmin Foretrex 401 as a backup.

Tons of good advice, thank you! I will be hunting in Southern Wyoming. Most likely areas 15 & 21.

For sleeping accommodations, we're not going to rough it. The plan is to get a hotel somewhat nearby and make our way back to the vehicle before dark. I kind of want to rough it for the experience, but my old man isn't going to be having that lol.
I still need to talk to my friend about this to get a better idea of the area we will be hunting. My concern with the hotel is that we won't be able to cover as much ground and see as many elk...

For terrain, I honestly have no idea what to expect. I need to get some more info from a friend of mine who lives there.

I will check it out

View All Quotes

I'm sure the gear will get covered. What I recommend is getting in shape by walking varied terrain and eventually carrying a weighted pack. Depends on what Area you drew the terrain can be demanding.

As I live in the flatland's of Florida I'll start my training in April when turkey season ends. I drew a tag in Area 35 which I hunted before and will be ready. Good luck OP on your adventure.

Good luck!

I do need a new knife.

sig kilo 2400 , trust me on this spring for one
I will check it out

havalon piranta knife with a bunch of spare blades from amazon, multi tool

Humble Brag
Just keep in mind this is going to be a more "technical" hunt than you are likely accustomed to, along with the associated gear and price tags. You are pretty damn close to mountaineering at this point, and a bunch of the gear crosses over. Dont sweat getting the latest camo stuff, focus on good gear over camo patterns. Tons of dudes just hunt in regular solid color clothes and are very successful.

Sierratradingpost.com is my go to place for discount gear. You can find good deals this time of year on a lot of hunting stuff different places too.

I agree on the havalon type knife, great piece of kit. Bring a few spare blades. I also bring a leatherman and a small fixed blade. Sometimes (ok most of the time) not even the leatherman.

As others have said, headlamp is great.

Drink mix is spot on, I like cerasport. Very well studied and proven to work well.

I'll second or third or fifth Zamberlain for boots, look at Asolo as well. Full leather boots even with goretex can get waterlogged if not treated propperly. Make sure your boots are really well broken in first. As has been said, don't go for the big, full length boots, too much weight. You will need gaiters to cover them up, so standard hiking boot height is fine.

Pack an extra insulating layer in your backpack. I have a down jacket that is very warm, weighs nothing, and squashes down to the size of a soda can. Synthetic primaloft type stuff is a good option too.

Kennetrek, Kuiu, and Outdoor Research make very good gaiters.

I'll ask around on 15 and 21, but the zones you are planning to hunt are adjacent to mine. We will be pretty close lol. You may have some much farther sight lines. Expect Medicine Bow to be very rugged country. Watch out for dead trees falling in the wind in timber, pine beetle kill is a huge problem in our area.

There aren't really too many four legged critters in this part of the state to worry about, so you can think about packing a small, light sidearm. I went from .44 to .357 to 10mm, and settled at a 9mm p365 that doesnt weigh anything. My hunting partner has been hunting this part of the state for 20 years and he packs a .380 and no reload. Moose will be your biggest threat. Don't mess with them. Also don't accidentally shoot one. As weird as it sounds, people have accidentally shot moose or mulies thinking they are elk. Mountain lions are next on the list. Bears arent too big of a deal here.

Give yourself some time to acclimate, you ate coming in from basically sea level. Don't over do it the first few days. Stay really well hydrated and don't hit the booze too hard. If you find everything seeming really funny, you may be hypoxic lol.

Hunting with a buddy you can split some essential gear between yourselves.

There wont be great (or maybe any) cell service where you are. My experiences with sat phones on several contine3 has been generally very negative. They are heavy and finicky. Unless tech has gotten better lately, you will be better served with a spot type device. Preset messages and such. Depending on price and plan you maybend up spending the same for a sat rental. You can drive closer to Rawlins to make a cell call if needed. I have no idea on local lodging, but dont expect the Ritz. I have only camped out up here, or done a pop up camper.

Be prepared for random storms and snow, and potentially not being able to drive back to a motel. See our recent storm here for reference. So maybe sleeping stuff and a tent and space heater in the trucks. Also food in the truck. Freeze dried camp stuff takes up no room and is easy to prep.

Good snacks are essential on the mountain. I like fatty stuff to keep me going, like the jerky meat stick stuff, peanut or almond butter, and things like m+m's.  Entirely personal preference but you will get hungry. There may be little to no places to top up a nalgene at, not a whole bunch of water to find but i still pack a little sawyer water filter just in case.

Bring some paracord. I wind up using some for something every year. A small roll of duct tape around a pencil or shapie wouldn't hurt either. Bring a light emergency tarp that can double as an emergency blanket. SOL makes some decent ones that are small and light. Obviously some way of making fire.

As to butchering the elk, its the same as a really big deer with more hair and a tougher hide. Google the gutless method, and watch a few videos on it. It will save you tons of heart ache. Be aware WY is strict on taking with you most all of the meat. Quarters, backstrap, and tenderloins or youbare breaking the law. Dont cut yourself. I did it last year. It sucked. Bring some bandaids for foot blisters and your fingers lol.

Retain sone sort of proof of sex, easy if its a bull. You will likely have to stop at a fish and game check station. Be nice to the game warden and poor biologists they have out there. They have to deal with some a holes and some courtesy goes a long way.

ETA forgot a couple of things:

Radios are just fine. You may not get great range out of a walmart type walkie talkie, but its better than nothing. Using it to communicate for safety or letting your party know you have an elk down will make it a complete non issue with LE. You may have extreme delays or connectivity issues with satellite communications in the area due to weather or terrain, but redundancy is a good thing, take both if you can. One guy can carry the radio and the other your sat phone or something.

Check the weather religiously, from multiple sources. Local radio stations tend to be more accurate in my experience than the online forecasts for some reason. Trust your gut, and if the weather starts to turn call it a day. My smart watch has a barometer that sets off an alarm if the pressure drops. Something that receives weather alerts or has a band for the noaa weather band is a good idea too. That wpuld be good to have back at your truck or lodging.

I also wouldn't worry too much about ballistics unless we are talking some extended ranges. Checking zero when you get up here is a good idea though. Use a decent app for a table and print out a few dope cards before hand for varying conditions. Temperature will be the biggest variable regarding your ballistics. Not sure on ranges in the area. Some decent ones in Cheyenne and N. Colorado. I'm happy to provide some recommendations if you are coming from that direction.

Shooting where you hunt may be hard to pull off and might piss some people off. During antelope season while we were trying to hunt some guy with the stickers still on his gun and scope was cranking off 30 rounds to try and zero his gun. It was annoying and spooked some game. I know sometimes it can't be helped, but try not to be that guy.

You WILL have an awesome time if you keep it safe. Tired, sore, and out of breath, but it will be awesome! Thus is the kind of experience that gets folks hooked for life. I helpd a group of old timers from MN two years ago whose truck got stuck on a trail. They have been coming to WY every year for ages for elk. Elk rifle season is the pinnacle of my year for hunting, the experience is unrivaled. Take some time to enjoy the scenery and gaze at the stars. This is about as good as hunting gets, elk or no elk.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 3:40:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye] [#23]

Just keep in mind this is going to be a more "technical" hunt than you are likely accustomed to, along with the associated gear and price tags. You are pretty damn close to mountaineering at this point, and a bunch of the gear crosses over. Dont sweat getting the latest camo stuff, focus on good gear over camo patterns. Tons of dudes just hunt in regular solid color clothes and are very successful.

Sierratradingpost.com is my go to place for discount gear. You can find good deals this time of year on a lot of hunting stuff different places too.

I agree on the havalon type knife, great piece of kit. Bring a few spare blades. I also bring a leatherman and a small fixed blade. Sometimes (ok most of the time) not even the leatherman.

As others have said, headlamp is great.

Drink mix is spot on, I like cerasport. Very well studied and proven to work well.

I'll second or third or fifth Zamberlain for boots, look at Asolo as well. Full leather boots even with goretex can get waterlogged if not treated propperly. Make sure your boots are really well broken in first. As has been said, don't go for the big, full length boots, too much weight. You will need gaiters to cover them up, so standard hiking boot height is fine.

Pack an extra insulating layer in your backpack. I have a down jacket that is very warm, weighs nothing, and squashes down to the size of a soda can. Synthetic primaloft type stuff is a good option too.

Kennetrek, Kuiu, and Outdoor Research make very good gaiters.

I'll ask around on 15 and 21, but the zones you are planning to hunt are adjacent to mine. We will be pretty close lol. You may have some much farther sight lines. Expect Medicine Bow to be very rugged country. Watch out for dead trees falling in the wind in timber, pine beetle kill is a huge problem in our area.

There aren't really too many four legged critters in this part of the state to worry about, so you can think about packing a small, light sidearm. I went from .44 to .357 to 10mm, and settled at a 9mm p365 that doesnt weigh anything. My hunting partner has been hunting this part of the state for 20 years and he packs a .380 and no reload. Moose will be your biggest threat. Don't mess with them. Also don't accidentally shoot one. As weird as it sounds, people have accidentally shot moose or mulies thinking they are elk. Mountain lions are next on the list. Bears arent too big of a deal here.

Give yourself some time to acclimate, you ate coming in from basically sea level. Don't over do it the first few days. Stay really well hydrated and don't hit the booze too hard. If you find everything seeming really funny, you may be hypoxic lol.

Hunting with a buddy you can split some essential gear between yourselves.

There wont be great (or maybe any) cell service where you are. My experiences with sat phones on several contine3 has been generally very negative. They are heavy and finicky. Unless tech has gotten better lately, you will be better served with a spot type device. Preset messages and such. Depending on price and plan you maybend up spending the same for a sat rental. You can drive closer to Rawlins to make a cell call if needed. I have no idea on local lodging, but dont expect the Ritz. I have only camped out up here, or done a pop up camper.

Be prepared for random storms and snow, and potentially not being able to drive back to a motel. See our recent storm here for reference. So maybe sleeping stuff and a tent and space heater in the trucks. Also food in the truck. Freeze dried camp stuff takes up no room and is easy to prep.

Good snacks are essential on the mountain. I like fatty stuff to keep me going, like the jerky meat stick stuff, peanut or almond butter, and things like m+m's.  Entirely personal preference but you will get hungry. There may be little to no places to top up a nalgene at, not a whole bunch of water to find but i still pack a little sawyer water filter just in case.

Bring some paracord. I wind up using some for something every year. A small roll of duct tape around a pencil or shapie wouldn't hurt either. Bring a light emergency tarp that can double as an emergency blanket. SOL makes some decent ones that are small and light. Obviously some way of making fire.

As to butchering the elk, its the same as a really big deer with more hair and a tougher hide. Google the gutless method, and watch a few videos on it. It will save you tons of heart ache. Be aware WY is strict on taking with you most all of the meat. Quarters, backstrap, and tenderloins or youbare breaking the law. Dont cut yourself. I did it last year. It sucked. Bring some bandaids for foot blisters and your fingers lol.

Retain sone sort of proof of sex, easy if its a bull. You will likely have to stop at a fish and game check station. Be nice to the game warden and poor biologists they have out there. They have to deal with some a holes and some courtesy goes a long way.

ETA forgot a couple of things:

Radios are just fine. You may not get great range out of a walmart type walkie talkie, but its better than nothing. Using it to communicate for safety or letting your party know you have an elk down will make it a complete non issue with LE. You may have extreme delays or connectivity issues with satellite communications in the area due to weather or terrain, but redundancy is a good thing, take both if you can. One guy can carry the radio and the other your sat phone or something.

Check the weather religiously, from multiple sources. Local radio stations tend to be more accurate in my experience than the online forecasts for some reason. Trust your gut, and if the weather starts to turn call it a day. My smart watch has a barometer that sets off an alarm if the pressure drops. Something that receives weather alerts or has a band for the noaa weather band is a good idea too. That wpuld be good to have back at your truck or lodging.

I also wouldn't worry too much about ballistics unless we are talking some extended ranges. Checking zero when you get up here is a good idea though. Use a decent app for a table and print out a few dope cards before hand for varying conditions. Temperature will be the biggest variable regarding your ballistics. Not sure on ranges in the area. Some decent ones in Cheyenne and N. Colorado. I'm happy to provide some recommendations if you are coming from that direction.

Shooting where you hunt may be hard to pull off and might piss some people off. During antelope season while we were trying to hunt some guy with the stickers still on his gun and scope was cranking off 30 rounds to try and zero his gun. It was annoying and spooked some game. I know sometimes it can't be helped, but try not to be that guy.

You WILL have an awesome time if you keep it safe. Tired, sore, and out of breath, but it will be awesome! Thus is the kind of experience that gets folks hooked for life. I helpd a group of old timers from MN two years ago whose truck got stuck on a trail. They have been coming to WY every year for ages for elk. Elk rifle season is the pinnacle of my year for hunting, the experience is unrivaled. Take some time to enjoy the scenery and gaze at the stars. This is about as good as hunting gets, elk or no elk.
View Quote
Thank you! I have added a tent and sleeping bags to the list in case we get stuck. We will be coming across on 80 through Cheyenne, so I will get in touch with you about a range there. Also, good to know that radios are good.

You all have given me a ton of great advice that has made me feel a lot more comfortable about this trip. We had not planned on drawing tags on only our second time applying, so I had not put any thought into this hunt yet. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to help me out and give me a lot of info. I am going to be spending a lot of money on gear now lol.

Now I need to get in contact with my friend there and start figuring out the areas he suggests, and figure out a hotel and some other details.

Edit:
Here is a basic list that I have put together so far of things I need to buy or do more research on:

Navigation/communication:
OnX - $120
Garmin Foretrex 401 as a backup? - $130
Sat Phones or radios
Polaris Ranger – Check laws

Tools/quartering:
Knife
Multi-tool

Gear:
Pack
Handheld Range Finder
Ultralight Silnylon Tarp
Game Bags
Coolers
IFAK & bandaids
Headlamp
Paracord
Tent & Sleeping Bags for the truck

Clothing:
Boots
Pants
Jacket
Gloves
Rain gear
Gaiters
Smartwool Socks

Optics:
Binoculars

Food/Hydration:
Gatorade Powder/drink mixes
Water Filter
Nalgene Bottles
Iodine Tablets
Freeze dried food
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Creeping on your thread.  Gonna come in handy if I get drawn for NM.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Looking good OP.  If you are only taking one knife. Have something to sharpen it with.  Very few blades make it thru one elk without going dull.  That change blade thing is getting a second look,from me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Looking good OP.  If you are only taking one knife. Have something to sharpen it with.  Very few blades make it thru one elk without going dull.  That change blade thing is getting a second look,from me.
View Quote
the havalon is so bad ass , I deboned that elk so quick with it and went through a few blades but is so nice. just be careful they are surgical blades and will slice you open quick if your are not careful

op this is where I got my bino case from

https://alaskaguidecreations.com/pages/packs
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn, that is a nice bull he got.   I took a friend from Iowa in my camp for a week last archery.  We humped in every nasty drainage within 8 miles of camp.  Saw lots of elk, but couldn’t close the deal.

I left camp to run home for a couple nights, I’d been up there for 2 weeks.  Pull into the drive and got this pic.  He arrowed the bull 700 yards from the tent, right after I left.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Lots of good advice in this thread OP. Fiancée and I are going Mule Deer/Elk hunting in CO this October for our honeymoon. I’ve been researching this stuff for a few years as it’s been a long time dream. We are out camping right now testing some of our new gear while it’s still somewhat cold.

Start watching stuff on YouTube. Randy Newberg is a good source of info and has a lot of “how to” videos. You can also use the promo code, Randy, to get 20% off OnX.

Check Sierra Trading Post, BackCountry.com and Steep & Cheep for gear. Most of our stuff has come from those three online vendors.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By J-L:
the havalon is so bad ass , I deboned that elk so quick with it and went through a few blades but is so nice. just be careful they are surgical blades and will slice you open quick if your are not careful

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By J-L:

Yeah, I'm planning on bringing one knife that I can change blades on. I'll probably end up with the Havalon. There was another one recommended too that I will check out.

I'll look into that bino case as well. I forgot to put that on my list. Thanks!

I'm going to go through this thread and take down all off the recommendations and check them out. I really appreciate everyone's help!
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 10:28:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye] [#30]
Damn, that is a nice bull he got.   I took a friend from Iowa in my camp for a week last archery.  We humped in every nasty drainage within 8 miles of camp.  Saw lots of elk, but couldn’t close the deal.

I left camp to run home for a couple nights, I’d been up there for 2 weeks.  Pull into the drive and got this pic.  He arrowed the bull 700 yards from the tent, right after I left.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/6A98700D-4CD0-4293-9DE9-2A0C53FC1418_jpeg-879002.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/6A98700D-4CD0-4293-9DE9-2A0C53FC1418_jpeg-879002.JPG
That's a nice bull. I just hope I get a chance to see one like that.

Originally Posted By clharr:
Lots of good advice in this thread OP. Fiancée and I are going Mule Deer/Elk hunting in CO this October for our honeymoon. I’ve been researching this stuff for a few years as it’s been a long time dream. We are out camping right now testing some of our new gear while it’s still somewhat cold.

Start watching stuff on YouTube. Randy Newberg is a good source of info and has a lot of “how to” videos. You can also use the promo code, Randy, to get 20% off OnX.

Check Sierra Trading Post, BackCountry.com and Steep & Cheep for gear. Most of our stuff has come from those three online vendors.
Yeah, I'm going to be spending the next few months acquiring a bunch of stuff and try to get using as much of it as I can.

Thanks for the discount code! I will check out his YouTube videos.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Sig makes excellent range finders.

I like the radius, but I probably wouldn't want to pack the extra weight.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Here's my list for my annual Montana Elk hunt in the high country.  In the woods for 10 days without outside world contact or conveniences.

Used to take a lot more but after doing it for 10+ years I've whittled the list down a bit.  Otherwise LIGHTWEIGHT EVERYTHING...the lighter the better.  I hunt with a Model 7 308 with synthetic stock but I'm in the heavily wooded high country and hike a lot.

Clothes suggestions:
Lowers:
•20-30 degrees – long johns, fleece hunting pants
•20 degrees and below – long johns, LW BDUs w/elastic waist, fleece hunting pants
Uppers:
•20-30 degrees – long johns, camp fleece jacket, red fleece jacket, mad bomber hat
•20 degrees and below – same as above plus heavy hunting jacket

Hunting Boots (good ones)
Muck Boots (if it snows like a MOFO)
Zip up boot shoes (for camp)
Ass wipes (for you know what)
Small can spray gun oil (for chamber and gun when you fall in a snowbank or fall off side of mountain)
Nail clippers (come in handy for that pesky hangnail)
Cell Phone and charger (if it works out there)
Lighters & Smokes (for me anyway)
Water proofing spray (really dont use it much but just in case)
Lint free rags (cleaning optics, etc)
Orange vest
Rifle/Ammo/sling (Lightweight all the way)
Bore Snake & Gun Wipes (for after you fall in the snowbank or fall off side of mountain)
Rifle Case
Antibiotic ointment
Vaseline (comes in handy for chafing issues if you hike/walk a lot of miles and dont take a shower for over 5 days)
Camo Tape (for quieting slings and better grip on gun if wet)
batteries
Flashlight
Hat
Washcloth
Sunglasses
FLIR thermal spotter (if you got one, comes in very handy)
Backpack
Alieve pain reliever
Gum
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Op, I forgot a couple of things...again. The bino harness suggestion has been covered. I ended up with Kuiu. Alaska guide creations is awesome as well. There is a Vortex branded one that is made by Alaska guide creations as well, and may very well be cheaper some places.

Bring a small ammount of orange flagging tape or the like for potentially trailing a wounded animal. Can come in very handy. A small amount of reflective tape might not be a bad idea of it is getting dark.

Wipes, especially good quality ones are essential in the field, for hands, used as TP, or whatever. It can be nice to wipe off your hands after quartering an elk. They do freeze sometimes, so be aware. If you aren't using them on your ass, hand sanitizer squirted liberally in the package makes them not freeze up into a solid block.

Chapstick, the weather, altitude, and dry air will punish your face and lips. Can also work on feet for hot spots/blisters in boots and to start an emergency fire. Consider a small stick of sun screen as well. Nothing too scented. Lotion type sunscreen tends to run into my eyes with sweat.

A very thin pair of liner socks can help if the weather gets too cold, and can also prevent blisters and the like. I rarely use them any more but something to consider.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#34]
I have that vortex/Alaska guide bino harness.  Favorite piece of gear.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:22:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: moreammoplz] [#35]
I hunted KY for Elk last years so different environment.  I bought a pair of 11 inch tall leather Irish Setter Boots and they worked great for me.  I also bought a Primos three leg shooting stick and was happy I had it.  My Pentax Binos broke during the trip so couldn't use them.  I would recommend going with a nice set 10x40 my new set is Vortex.   Don't go cheap on ammo, make sure you get a bonded load.  I shot mine twice before it fell and while skinning it we found pieces of bullet in the hide.

To prepare I walked every day wearing my boots and my pack to get in shape.  I would also practice shooting at different yardages and would run in place before taking a shot to help get your heart rate up.  You heart really pumps when you spot your elk.

My KENTUCKY ELK 2018...............

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Thank you! I have added a tent and sleeping bags to the list in case we get stuck. We will be coming across on 80 through Cheyenne, so I will get in touch with you about a range there. Also, good to know that radios are good.

You all have given me a ton of great advice that has made me feel a lot more comfortable about this trip. We had not planned on drawing tags on only our second time applying, so I had not put any thought into this hunt yet. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to help me out and give me a lot of info. I am going to be spending a lot of money on gear now lol.

Now I need to get in contact with my friend there and start figuring out the areas he suggests, and figure out a hotel and some other details.

Edit:
Here is a basic list that I have put together so far of things I need to buy or do more research on:

Navigation/communication:
OnX - $120
Garmin Foretrex 401 as a backup? - $130
Sat Phones or radios
Polaris Ranger – Check laws

Tools/quartering:
Knife
Multi-tool

Gear:
Pack
Handheld Range Finder
Ultralight Silnylon Tarp
Game Bags
Coolers
IFAK & bandaids
Headlamp
Paracord
Tent & Sleeping Bags for the truck

Clothing:
Boots
Pants
Jacket
Gloves
Rain gear
Gaiters
Smartwool Socks

Optics:
Binoculars

Food/Hydration:
Gatorade Powder/drink mixes
Water Filter
Nalgene Bottles
Iodine Tablets
Freeze dried food
View Quote
Packable saw.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:01:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckeyeRifleman] [#37]
Don’t have time to make a big post, did my first western hunt last year, doing elk this year.

OP, spend some time on rokslide.com, it’s the arfcom of western hunting.

They have gear lists for most of their pro staff.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#38]
You say you probably won't have to deal with snow. I don't know where you are from, but I would seriously revisit that.

OnX on your phones.

Make sure you break in your boots. Everyone. No really, break in your boots.

How well do you know the people you are going with? Can you count on them to do their part and not break down? It's really common.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Really, be ready for snow, and mud.  Bring chains and any vehicle extrication gear you can.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SanchoCobb:

Packable saw.
View Quote
spot on - forgot to mention that , my three items when I back pack in too hunt that are sharp

1. ) havalon with a bunch of blades
2.) gerber or leatherman
3.) packable saw I have this cheap primos one but it is bad ass and I love it , will probably buy another
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:05:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: J-L] [#41]
Really, be ready for snow, and mud.  Bring chains and any vehicle extrication gear you can.
View Quote
highly recommend chains even that early ... especially Wyoming  they often get worse weather than CO

and....do yourself a favor put the chains off and on a few times in your driveway so your familiar with them and your not trying to put them on for the first time in 16" of mud and snow

and in my experience one set for the rears is usually fine
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Never been hunting in Wyoming, but I've hunted in Idaho and done quite a bit of fieldwork here as well.

Depending how well you know your location, a GPS is useful. For personal and professional use I always use a Garmin 64s.

In my experience Merrills won't last, I wore through a pair in less than 6 months. I would rather spend a bit extra on a pair of Lowa's that last me a few years rather than have to get new boots 3x a year. I always waterproof my boots with waterproof spray, works great and never had a problem

Make sure to dress for the weather, but make sure you can take off layers if you get to hot, which can happen with hiking around.

Rifle's can get heavy when hiking, make sure it is something you can carry. My hunting rifle is a kimber montana and only weighs about 7lbs with an optic

Bino's work better for hunting IMO, spotting scopes are bulky and take up to much space

Depending on terrain it wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in a shooting stick, helpful for getting a good shot off at times

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#43]

That's a nice bull. I just hope I get a chance to see one like that.

Yeah, I'm going to be spending the next few months acquiring a bunch of stuff and try to get using as much of it as I can.

Thanks for the discount code! I will check out his YouTube videos.
View Quote
I hunt Idaho and Washington so I can't speak on WY specifically but will this hunt be during the rut?
If so, and you're calling, you might end up with way closer shots than you're expecting.
Learn to bugle. Learn to cow call, mew, etc.
This plan of going back to the truck and hotel every night could end up being much more work than you're expecting, too. Again, this depends on where they're at in the rut cycle and where the bulls will be.
Go check out Elk101 on YouTube.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Pretty much all has been covered,  but I would add in regards to replaceable blade knives, look at Outdoor Edge’s version.

I have both the Havalon Piranta and the Outdoor Edge.  I prefer the OE simply because I find the thicker blade better suited for gutting and skinning.  OE provides more blade support and I have yet to break a single blade.  Admittedly, the only time I have broken a Havalon blade was on the last moose I was field dressing after dark in the middle of a snow storm, so we were in a little bit of a hurry to get the job done.  Broke 3 blades during that exercise.

I do think the Havalon blades are a little sharper but the ease at which the OE blades can be changed puts it over the top in my book.

Also, depending on the time of year when we are out after big game in addition to some good game bags we pack a spray bottle and some lemon juice.  We spray the quarters/game bags with a 50/50 mix of lemon juice and H2O, which keeps most of the flies off and raises the PH of the skin and prevents flies from laying eggs.   Does nothing to the flavor of the meat.  Some folks use black pepper for the same reason, but lemon juice is cheaper.

One last thing, a lot has been mentioned about electronic maps and they do have their place. I would recommend a good set of old fashion topo quads of the area(s) you plan to hunt.  Easier for a group of guys to sit around a table and study a large quad than to huddle around a small electronic display and plan the next day’s hunt.  Guess I am old school but at the end of a days hunt I like to relax with a glass or 2 of whiskey, study a map and make a plan.

Never hunted WY but I have been chasing big game in MT and ID for the last 35 years, you will have a blast regardless of tagging out or not.

Good luck and take lots of pictures.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 2:37:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye] [#45]
So I think I have decided on a pack. I decided that I want to go with one that I can throw my rifle in. My gun is way too heavy for this, but I am going to make it work lol. Instead of having it in a sling all day I like the idea of throwing it on the pack. I think that will make the weight more manageable. Also, this pack has wings that fold out and allow you to strap meat in there and carry it out.

I'm looking at the Ebelrlestock X2 Daypack rifle combo package. It has the ability to attack a bow to it as well for future hunts. LINK

Eberlestock X2 Pack Review (Favorite Day Hunt Pack)

What do you guys think? Anyone used one? Or does anyone know of anything better that does the same thing?
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't know anything about the, but I saw this video today. Thought it was pretty cool.

As far a carrying a rifle I use Kifaru gunbearer. May not be ideal for a heavy rifle though. Mine weighs 8.5# and it carries like a dream.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By flinch08:
I don't know anything about the, but I saw this video today. Thought it was pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU7lymMLPjM

As far a carrying a rifle I use Kifaru gunbearer. May not be ideal for a heavy rifle though. Mine weighs 8.5# and it carries like a dream.
View Quote
That's pretty wild.

I've been reading on their packs and now I'm thinking this might be a better option. LINK

Gear 101: Eberlestock Team Elk M5 Pack
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#48]
My thoughts on packs is that you should be able to carry out a bunch of weight and still be able to hunt comfortably. We are not able to hunt elk yet, but when we do it will probably be even more important to be able to carry out a load on the first trip back.

Both my packs will carry an entire deer or antelope out in one trip. To me that matters. I want to be able to chop up an animal where he falls, bag it, and carry it out. Now. Not fuck around with it at all. When I leave the truck I expect to come back with a full pack, so day pack setups just don't work for me.

This is not my idea. I do nothing original. A solid pack, kill kit, small shelter, emergency supplies, and food/water are about all I carry.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By flinch08:
My thoughts on packs is that you should be able to carry out a bunch of weight and still be able to hunt comfortably. We are not able to hunt elk yet, but when we do it will probably be even more important to be able to carry out a load on the first trip back.

Both my packs will carry an entire deer or antelope out in one trip. To me that matters. I want to be able to chop up an animal where he falls, bag it, and carry it out. Now. Not fuck around with it at all. When I leave the truck I expect to come back with a full pack, so day pack setups just don't work for me.

This is not my idea. I do nothing original. A solid pack, kill kit, small shelter, emergency supplies, and food/water are about all I carry.
View Quote
Yeah, I want to be able to pack a lot out right after the kill, so that is why I thought that second link was a better idea. The M5 has an exterior shelf to strap meat to. Plus is has large interior space to pack more meat in.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#50]
My first trip to Colorado I wore heavy wool and carried an Eberlestock Blue Widow pack. The mountains kicked my ass.
Upon my return from trip I weighed my gear. My clothing and pack weighed close to fifty pounds. The pack alone was nine pounds empty. The contents of the pack weighed about ten pounds. My wool pants, shirt, jacket and long johns made up the rest. This does not include my 8-9 pound rifle. It never occurred to me that my clothing weighed so much.
After much consideration and research I decided to spend the money and drop the weight. I have replaced all my clothing and my pack with products from Kuiu. My entire load out including rain gear and jacket now weight less than 25 pounds. Even less if the weather is warm.
My pack is about four pounds empty. My clothing including jacket weights less than my wool pants.
The point here is to keep your weight low. Every ounce matters when you are covering 7-8 miles a day at 11k feet.

My boots are mainly Salomon. For snow and mud I change to 200g Irish Setter Elk Trackers.

Our group carries radios to stay in touch. With five of us doing our own thing within a few miles of each other its nice to make sure everyone is safe.
We use the Baofeng BF-F8HP radios with 3800mAh batteries and the Nagoya-24j antennas. We also have a mobile set up as a base radio in camp (we all have our ham lic). These radios work much better than we expected given the terrain.

I don't know how far you are traveling. Our group travels from SC to Colorado by truck and drag a trailer to haul all our crap.
We decided to cut our processing and shipping cost by butchering and packaging our elk in camp. We also added a chest freezer to the trailer. We can now prepackage much of our food, freeze it, and take it with us. We can also get our elk home with no worries.

A GPS with onxmaps is worth its weight in gold. We also have a 2x3' laminated topo/arial photo map of the area we plan to hunt. It is invaluable for planning the days hunt. Each person marks where they plan to go so we know were to look if they don't come back on time.

I use 10x50 binos. I have a spotting scope but where we hunt it's useless. The forest is too dense.

Start getting in shape now. I find that climbing stairs with my pack works well. We also do 5-10 mile rucks throughout the summer.
Get to the range. If possible practice from improvised positions. You will never shoot an elk from the bench. I just finished loading 150 rounds of practice ammo and may need more before the season starts.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip! Be forewarned, elk hunting is a disease. Once you get it you're hooked for life.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top