Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2023 9:19:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: extractr]
The last few weeks a fox has been taking out mine and my neighbors chickens and ducks.   I have lost over a dozen birds and my neighbor has lost 5 or 6.   We have set traps with no luck.  The neighbor missed him with his AR as it was chasing a bird.   My wife was out in the backyard a few days ago when it came out of the woods running directly towards a chicken.  I was in the house and heard her yelling.  By the time I grabbed the gun and got outside,  I just caught a glimpse of him as he was headed back into the woods.

I get home last night from work and see 2 different feather piles.   He got my guinea hen and another chicken.   So I waited until dark and sat on my back porch with my thermal topped 6.5 CM.  I put my call out by the coop 40 yards away and started playing chicken distress noises.   Nothing happened for about 30 minutes.  I was getting ready to go back inside when I did one more scan of the area.  I suddenly notice two pointy ears emerging from behind a small hill about 35 yards away.   At that point he stops, and all I can see is the top half of his head.   I put the crosshairs between the eyes and down he went.  

I was going to put his head on a post to warn other foxes,  but that was no longer possible.  

Feels good to get the little sucker.  Problem is,  is I am sure there are more to follow.

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Mr. Fish Cop:  That will be $5000 fine, forfeiture of your truck and guns, and a week in jail for taking a furbearing animal out of season.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
Mr. Fish Cop:  That will be $5000 fine, forfeiture of your truck and guns, and a week in jail for taking a furbearing animal out of season.
View Quote

Nuisance animals can be taking anytime on your own property if they are killing livestock.  I already checked with the DNR on that one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Dang little bastardized caused some havoc between you and you neighbor.

Good shoot OP.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Night vision is where it's at.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By extractr:

Nuisance animals can be taking anytime on your own property if they are killing livestock.  I already checked with the DNR on that one.
View Quote
I figured as much.  Just commentary on how much they can screw you if they want to.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#7]
OP I had a fox getting our chickens. It turned out to be two of them, a male and female. I called the DNR and one of the guys issued me a permit, not sure if I needed it or not. More of a CYA thing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 220:
OP I had a fox getting our chickens. It turned out to be two of them, a male and female. I called the DNR and one of the guys issued me a permit, not sure if I needed it or not. More of a CYA thing.
View Quote

That is what I am worried about.  This was a male, but I am sure there is a female with kits somewhere.  I may have to do a few more night hunts if birds keep vanishing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:12:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#9]
Lol, 6.5 CM for a fox. I like it.

Front most certainly fell off.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By extractr:

That is what I am worried about.  This was a male, but I am sure there is a female with kits somewhere.  I may have to do a few more night hunts if birds keep vanishing.
View Quote

That's what I found out as well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Lol, 6.5 CM for a fox. I like it.

Front most certainly fell off.
View Quote

Quite a bit of an overkill, but.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:52:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bootleg15] [#12]
Go big or go home.

Woodchcuck Blown In Half 50 Cal. Rifle
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bootleg15:
Go big or go home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Ej3CSRlBM
View Quote

I would have used my .50 if the thermal scope was rated for it.   I really wanted to get rid of this fox.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 220:
View Quote

Not sure where OP is but in Indiana the only way to get a written permit is if you are a commercial, for-profit farmer and you can demonstrate that the loss is significant. However, when catching an animal in the act it is a nuisance and permit is not required. Coyotes specifically can be harvested on your own land or on other private land with written landowner permission year 'round for any reason at all.

Thermal, suppressors, cannons, all legal.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#15]
No fence or what?

We have a lot of coyote in the area (that don’t want to come in to my call), and chickens. We have 4ft chainlink around the yard, and 6ft wire around the coop. Also a section of 2ft wire all the way around, 1ft up and 1ft on the ground, with 1/2” rebar tied in at the corner of fence/ground as dig protection. We lock the birds in for the night.

I think the coon population has been “checked” by me. Shot a couple hanging out nearby, napping, watching the birds, probably waiting for dark.

We frequently let the chickens range the back yard, sometimes sun up to sun down. No daytime predators have been successful.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Good kill OP, but they’ll be back.

And I wouldn’t involve the DNR in anything.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I've lost 2 chickens this year to coons. Very frustrating.

Finally killed one of 'em last night. Trapped about 10 so far and gave them to a coon hunter to train his dogs. The one last night bypassed the traps and got a lethal case of lead poisoning.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice hide...I could think of a couple of dozen neat projects for a hide like that.  A Russian Ushanka hat, Scottish sporran, gloves, collar on a coat, or the ruff around a parka hood...and on and on.  Please don't let that beautiful hide go to waste.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#19]
So far, I have not lost another bird since taking out this guy.  Looks like he was the culprit.  FAFO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top