Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2018 9:11:04 PM EDT
I passed my Tech exam today.
Pretty excited about getting on the air in the Ham world. I've had my gmrs license for about 6 months now, and have met quite a few friends over the airwaves in my area. One of my buddies has offered me a Yaesu FT 2600 radio for $25 to get my feet wet. Of course I jumped on the offer. Just need an antenna, and my callsign from the FCC to get going now. My plan is to get involved in the ARES/RACES organization in my area, as well as SKYWARN. Both require ametuer radio above gmrs comms.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent!!  Keep pushin for General at least, WorldWide is a lot more fun!
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats. I got my tech two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Excellent!!  Keep pushin for General at least, WorldWide is a lot more fun!
View Quote
Yeah, I plan on getting my general. The next test session in my area is in July. I had 3 days to study for my Tech exam, and felt that I could pass it ( 2 wrong ).
The examiner offered to have me take the general exam today as well. I didn't feel confident enough to try it. I have til July to study and test for General.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, I plan on getting my general. The next test session in my area is in July. I had 3 days to study for my Tech exam, and felt that I could pass it ( 2 wrong ).
The examiner offered to have me take the general exam today as well. I didn't feel confident enough to try it. I have til July to study and test for General.
View Quote
By all means do get into digital modes, it’s stupid easy and more reliable than voice comms.

Don’t neccessarily have to be sitting at the radio to get your message either... you can even use email via ham now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations!  

You could start your ham radio venture by making your antenna. We hams are big into "homebrewing".
Simple Ground Plane: http://www.hamuniverse.com/kc0ynr2metergppvc.html
"Copper Cactus" J-pole: http://www.instructables.com/id/J-Pole-Antenna-For-2-Meters/
"Copper Cactus" Dimensions: http://www.hamuniverse.com/jpole.html
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Congradulations
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 11:57:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats on passing the test!  I took the technician exam in Feb and upgraded to General this weekend. There is a ton to learn and enjoy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top