Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2018 9:57:19 AM EDT
Ok.  I have 4 acres of land and it is all flat and grass.  Wanting to keep it fertilized.  Plan on hitting it with fertilizer 3 times a year but don't want to use a walk behind spreader.  I got a John Deere 318 garden tractor as well as a Kubota 2360 I believe compact tractor that has the class 1, 3 point hitch.  Want something decent that doesn't break the bank.  I see rural King carries a PTO driven spreader for about $450 or a pull behind for about $250.  Anyone have any experience with rural king's or any other suggestions.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#1]
PTO powered will make the fertilizer go further.  And if you keep it clean (clean it after use as fertilizer is corrosive to metal) it will probably last longer.

Tow behind you would be able to use with either tractor. But the axles will be problematic after a while.  They sorts beat themselves to death.

Both will work.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:56:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Is this a somewhat square, flat, contiguous 4 acres?  What are you doing with the ground?  Why not fertilize once per year and just put more on?  Reason I ask is have you talked to a local coop or fertilizer dealer?  Most all of them have carts for rent and some will have carts that will have either gas powered or ground driven fans so you could pul, them with a small tractor or even a pickup.  They usually don’t charge much per acre rent but there is probably a minimum.  If you could possibly spread all of your fertilizer at one time, you wouldn’t spend much per year in cart rent and you wouldn’t have to worry about upkeep and storage of your own.   On the flip side, I completely understand wanting to own your own piece of equipment and then you can use it whenever and however you want.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this a somewhat square, flat, contiguous 4 acres?  What are you doing with the ground?  Why not fertilize once per year and just put more on?  Reason I ask is have you talked to a local coop or fertilizer dealer?  Most all of them have carts for rent and some will have carts that will have either gas powered or ground driven fans so you could pul, them with a small tractor or even a pickup.  They usually don’t charge much per acre rent but there is probably a minimum.  If you could possibly spread all of your fertilizer at one time, you wouldn’t spend much per year in cart rent and you wouldn’t have to worry about upkeep and storage of your own.   On the flip side, I completely understand wanting to own your own piece of equipment and then you can use it whenever and however you want.  Just a thought.
View Quote
I wouldn't want to be dragging a fertilizer cart through my yard.  Let alone neither of the tractors he has listed would be big enough to do it.  So using a pick up to drag a heavy fertilizer cart I a yard... For a few hundred pounds of fertilizer? Ehh...
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PTO powered will make the fertilizer go further.  And if you keep it clean (clean it after use as fertilizer is corrosive to metal) it will probably last longer.
View Quote
That^

Take a look at Agrex if you can, great unit.  Everything Attachments will ship them for free if you don't have a dealer nearby.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I have not looked at agrex.  I will though.  So far the best I've seen is a unit from landpride which is owned by Kubota and their small PTO driven unit is designed specificically for my tractor.  It's runs about 100 more than other units I've seen on the internet that are compatible. But it has all stainless gears and plate.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Landpride are adequate for what you are looking for.  I would highly recommend a PTO mounted type of spreader.  Clean it good after use.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Ended up getting the land pride PTO driven unit.  It's the smaller of their three units but still holds 350lbs.   Thanks for all the input.  Guess I'll see this spring how well it works
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#8]
It's too late now but I fertilize 3-4 acres with a tow behind type. No issues at all. Think I paid $100 at either Lowe's or a local farm store (can't remember which).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top