Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2020 9:18:48 AM EDT
Was looking to get some nylon/spandex pants that stretch. Looking at prana Zion, wrangler outdoor pants, Sitka territory and back forty pants, or first lite corrugate. What’s your pick? Want them to fit over boots. I love the cell phone pockets on the Sitka and FL. Prana Zion pockets seem to suck.

Are these type pants viable in winter for running errands and town stuff? Or are they to cold? Pair of jeans are fine for that but I’m not sure how these compare in the cold? I live in the south east.

The back forty pants are 47% cotton 37% spandex 16% cordura. Anyone have experience with those? Would those be better than that nylon spandex?
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a pair of Patagonia Field Pants that I absolutely love. Breathable, not too hot in the summer even with the heavy reinforcements, warm in the winter with silkweight baselayer pants, and with plenty of stretch. The entire front of the pants are reinforced from crotch level down, as is the seat. The bottom 2 inches at the backs of the legs are double layered as well. They shrug off thorns and stickers like you wouldn’t believe. They’re very soft and feel nothing like jeans against your skin. I wear them snowshoeing all the time, usually with tall gaiters but not always. Drawbacks? Only one hip pocket and one cargo pocket (both zippered), the hip pocket is large but shifted to the left so it basically starts at your buttcrack, and the reinforcement panels pick up EVERYTHING. Lint, pet fur, you name it. I’ve had them coming up on 4 years and haven’t bought another pair because I haven’t needed to.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I recently picked up a pair of UnderArmor pants that are quickly becoming my favorite. Super comfortable, flexible and breathable, but with a little thickness to them. May need to get some more!
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recently picked up a pair of UnderArmor pants that are quickly becoming my favorite. Super comfortable, flexible and breathable, but with a little thickness to them. May need to get some more!
View Quote
Do you remember what the name of them are?
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been happy with prana stretch zion. They flex just right and are fairly water repellant. If you are planning for snowy outdoor work, wear some silkweights under them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Kuhl Ryders

Under Armour Enduro

Kuiu Sierra
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Duluth. I have both the firehouse and fly on the dry. The fly on the dry are lighter and a little more stretchy. The firehouse are still very comfortable and have stretch so well as being a heavier material
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#7]
About all I wear is the Prana stretch Zion pants and shorts. Very comfortable and they stretch/move with you... no plumbers crack.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 3:49:52 AM EDT
[#8]
One of my pet peeves about "outdoor" pants are their small pockets.
I prefer some of the thinner 5.11 pants for this reason.
I understand that they aren't exactly known as hiking or outdoor clothing.

If it's cold weather, layer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like Duluth Firehose Flex pants.

Don't pay full price for them. Sign up for Duluth's emails. They have 20-40 off sales pretty often.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I have four pairs of the Wrangler Outdoor synthetic pants. Very breathable and stretchy enough.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a couple different styles of the Wrangler outdoor pants. They’re great for the price. Right around $20.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the Duluth "dry on the fly" pants. They are comfortable, a bit stretchy and wear reasonably well, although not as well as the firehose pants. But they are too light for a winter pant. Perfect for summer, and reasonable for spring and fall.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Hands down, it's now my Montbell Cliff-Light pants.

I can't roundly recommend them to others, because they are a rather specialized pant by today's standards - slim fitting (it's a Japanese brand), just two hand pockets and one zippered rear pocket, and a stretch nylon weave with an integrated belt.  Oh, and they have a big diamond logo on the right calf that would probably be a no-go for a casual wear pant for most people.

These turned into my go-to backcountry pants on a recent trip up North.  Being a thin, stretch nylon fabric like some of the other pants mentioned, they will need a thermal base layer under them for cold conditions (cold being a combination of temperature, level physical exertion, and time spent stationary; there is no number for cold, just the cumulative integration of what you are doing in the cold).  5 weeks, scores of miles of hiking and snowshoeing and almost 4000 feet of ice climbing.  These pants have supplanted my Patagonia and Outdoor Research pants for backcountry use.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a couple of pairs of Kuhl pants. I recently discovered the Wrangler stretchy pants. I actually prefer the inexpensive Wranglers to the Kuhls.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Kuhl Slax are my favorite.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a couple of pairs of Kuhn pants. I recently discovered the Wrangler stretchy pants. I actually prefer the inexpensive Wranglers to the Kuhls.
View Quote
I made the same switch. I had five pairs of the Kuhl Slax, and they all wore out on the inner thigh within a year. The waists also stretched quite a bit, so there was no way I could wear them without a belt. The Wranglers are half the price and have proven more durable AND more breathable, both being very important here in AZ.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:11:09 AM EDT
[#17]
The Prana Zions are great from about 50f to 30f.  Strong winds can get through them, and below 30 and outdoors I'm gonna wear a layer under them.  Love them as an all around winter pant though.  Decently warm, but nice and breathable.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Kuhl Slax are my favorite.
View Quote
I was looking for some Slax recently. Out of stock everywhere except some shady sellers on ebay. Hope they aren't discontinued.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe they are the Enduro.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was looking for some Slax recently. Out of stock everywhere except some shady sellers on ebay. Hope they aren't discontinued.
View Quote
Man i hope not.  I wear them for everything.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Man i hope not.  I wear them for everything.
View Quote
Are they a decent replacement for everyday blue jeans?  I'd like something I can wear around the house, or out in the yard, but not look like a bum if I go to the store or the trap club.  I really dislike jeans with faded knees and threads hanging out of the cuffs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:12:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Duluth flex fire hose.

They have enough flex to wear climbing.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#23]
My favorite for backpacking and on-trail hiking: Columbia Silveridge

They are light and breathable, but not heavy. If you're doing off-trail bushwacking, get something else.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Not a huge fan of 5.11, but their Apex pants are really good.  They strike a good balance of durability/mobility that other stretch pants don't really hit, come in a bunch of colors, pretty much just look like hiking pants, and aren't crazy expensive.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Are they a decent replacement for everyday blue jeans?  I'd like something I can wear around the house, or out in the yard, but not look like a bum if I go to the store or the trap club.  I really dislike jeans with faded knees and threads hanging out of the cuffs.
View Quote
Absolutely. I wear them to work (accountant) , social gatherings, hunting, fishing, literally everything. Super comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Absolutely. I wear them to work (accountant) , social gatherings, hunting, fishing, literally everything. Super comfortable.
View Quote
Prana Stretch Zions are my favorite hiking pants.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Eddie Bauer Ascent Pant
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Not really spandex but I recomend fjallraven vidda pro.  Expensive but worth it.  If your looking for more stretch I would look at Kuiu attack though they are more geared towards being a fall hunting pant that work in the snow with layers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#29]
yoga pants
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Prana Stretch Zions are my favorite hiking pants.
View Quote

I have the shorts version of Zions. Like them a lot, but cargo pocket is kind of weird. Prana makes a jean-cut trouser that I have a couple of, same material as the Zion. Bus. Casual they are great.

Favorite hiking pants are OR Voodoos. Can wear them 12 months a year, just add long johns in winter.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Upon the advise in this thread, I ordered a couple pairs of Duluth Trading Post pants. I ordered a pair of relaxed fit and a pair of standard fit. I noticed a couple things. I haven’t gotten a chance to wear them outside yet but they do seem to be very comfortable. The relaxed fit is....very relaxed. Almost baggy. The standard fit feels more like relaxed fit to me. I won’t be buying any more relaxed fit but will buy some more standard fit.

They run on the long side. I normally wear a 32 inch inseam for most types of pants. I ordered 32 inch length. They are definitely on the long side and I’ll have to have them tailored. If they offered a 31 inch it would be perfect.....but they don’t. If I had a store near me, I’d try a pair of 30s but since I don’t, I’ll just keep ordering the 32 inch length and have them shortened by one inch.

Look forward to seeing how durable they are. They feel like they are very well made.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#32]
5.11 defender flex
Kuiu Attack
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Was looking to get some nylon/spandex pants that stretch. Looking at prana Zion, wrangler outdoor pants, Sitka territory and back forty pants, or first lite corrugate. What’s your pick? Want them to fit over boots. I love the cell phone pockets on the Sitka and FL. Prana Zion pockets seem to suck.

Are these type pants viable in winter for running errands and town stuff? Or are they to cold? Pair of jeans are fine for that but I’m not sure how these compare in the cold? I live in the south east.

The back forty pants are 47% cotton 37% spandex 16% cordura. Anyone have experience with those? Would those be better than that nylon spandex?

View Quote

Two kind of casual pants in the winter.  Wrangler jeans and lined jeans. Shorts the rest of the year.
Dress up with khakis.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have a couple different styles of the Wrangler outdoor pants. They’re great for the price. Right around $20.
View Quote

This is what I’ve been wearing to work lately. They stretch and are super comfortable. At $20 a pair if you ruin them it’s no big loss.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:35:00 AM EDT
[#35]
My TAD pants are pretty nice so far, they're not cheap though.

Earthseasky.nz has some interesting stuff in the same line.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#36]
I bought these and like them, but not as much as my Tru-Specs.

They are a bit stretchy but good weight.  I really like the pockets- deep and little pockets in the pockets.  Stitching is good and reinforcements on the bottom cuff.  

Seem to be a bit low-rise, so belt is mandatory.  Waist might be a bit big, as per reviews.  Khaki is a bit dark, and they have a darker brown.  Belt loops are plenty big and wide.  

Good pants cheap
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Mountain Hardwear AP pants are the best pants ever made (when they are on sale)

Wearing a pair right now in the office. Just as comfortable hiking, shooting, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top