Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2018 8:45:47 PM EDT
With colder weather setting in, what do you use to stay warm when working outside in the winter. I’ve been wearing Duluth pants and a Patagonia jacket and they aren’t holding up or keeping me warm. Shenandoah Valley for context.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#1]
When I lived in Mexico I wore jeans and a tee shirt.
Now in NM I wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thermals, red lined, or black lined carharts, polar gloves, bomber hat, bunny boots.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Usually some fleece lined jeans, a hoody, and a condor fleece hat

if it gets really cold I will put on a pair of carhart insulated bibs and a carhart coat, but the bibs keep me so warm I usually end up taking the coat off and just wearing the bibs and hoody.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Starting about November I add a base layer, either lightweight or medium weight poly or merino wool, top and bottom. My favorite is Patagonia Capilene, but I've used Cabelas MTP, Smartwool, and others.

Then usually Carhartt jeans and jacket.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Carhartt's and Blundstone boots with good wool socks.  I like the Carhartt flannel lined pants.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I like layers since temps change during the day and various levels of exertion have a big effect.

Good socks and boots to start with.

Long underwear then jeans and a long sleeve t shirt.

I have a nice set of bibs and matching coat with a hood. I wear one or both depending on temps and exertion. I would not have coat/jacket without a hood. Makes a big difference keeping wind and precipitation off the back of your neck. I also like a good pull over stocking cap.

Gloves are always a problem when it is cold. I did some chainsaw work last winter when the temp was 12 degrees when I started. I had to quit because my hands where so cold and hurting. Hurt even worse warming them up. I bought a pair of nice highly rated gloves since then. Wore them one day with temps in the upper 20s and my hands still got cold.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Good socks and boots to start.

Then, for real bs, carrhart on top.

Txl
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Pair of jeans long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt down to about 40. Colder then that i’ll put on my carhartt and some wool socks. Carhartt has a hood I hate hats.  If it gets real cold or if it’s blowing snow I’ll put some bibs on.  As for gloves I wear a thick leather glove.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nobody things females actually DO anything outdoors except stand around or ski, I guess.
View Quote
I'm not on Duluth's email list anymore, but a few years back, it seemed like they were trying to make a push to get into the working outdoor woman market.  If you see anything you are interested in on their website, sign up for their emails and wait for a 20% off coupon (they used to come at least once a month IIRC).

My chore clothes are nothing fancy for the most part, but my favorite piece of work clothing is my unlined Carhartt bibs.  They are light enough that I can wear them with a short sleeve shirt in warm weather (80* is about max), but they layer great and I'll wear them down to 25* with long johns and another pair of pants underneath.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Usually a base layer of thermals then whatever I normally wear (i.e. jeans, t-shirt, hoodie) after that it's a carhartt hooded jacket. I will add the carhartt bibs if it's cold enough.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Standard issue for me - I change styles about as often an Menudo.

Carhartt pants or bibs without lining and LL Bean fleece-line flannels for standard around the house and shop. If I want warmer, I add silk long johns.  If I am running around town and the fleece-lined flannel is too warm as a regular mid layer, I wear LL Bean chamois shirts or Scotch plaid flannels.

Outside Arcteryx Atom LT hoody under a Carhartt chore coat, or my Woolrich hunt coat if the bulk isn't in the way.  Smartwool PhD socks with Danners outside and Smartwools with Chacos or Crocs inside.   If it's real wet and I'm not too active, HH coat with LaCrosse Alphaburly pros.  It its wet and I'm active, REI element jacket and pants.  If its real snowy, the Woolrich with longjohns, Carhartt pants and Sorel Mavericks.

If it's down around zero, Yukon rabbit fur hat with the floppy ears, whatever those are called.  Otherwise a smartwool beanie or wool buff in beanie configuration.

My favorite gloves are Outdoor Research Sensors with the leather palms and fingers.  I have a couple of pairs and swap them out when wet.  If it is wet snow and I'm rooting around in it for some reason, I will wear some old OR Santa Ana shells over the Sensors.  I happened to find out a few years ago that my Santa Anas circa 1990s will actually work with touch screens when I wear the Sensors under them.  This combo turns out to be pretty handy when I need to take a call or Google a how to question in cold/wet weather.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Carhartt insulated bid overalls and jacket.  It has to get in the 20's for that gear.  Normally wear a fleece pullover and jeans.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
snip
Danners outside... If it's real wet and I'm not too active... LaCrosse Alphaburly pros.  
snip
View Quote
That's my boots of choice as well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't even look at jeans anymore.  They are sad.

Duluth fire hose cargo pants are my current outside work pants.  Loose enough to allow a couple layers of long johns if I want, or a pair of sweat pants.  Reason they are loose is I am back to losing some weight.

Good socks are more important though.  Same with good boots.

Jackets, I got a lot of sizes and some light jackets are kind of a like a heavy shirt to some extent.  Got some surplus stuff and some stuff amazon clearanced for 10 bucks for a big size.  I can layer and layer and layer some more if I need to do so.  Kinda nice depending on the weather.

I also finally own a pair of insulated bib coveralls again.  Nice to be able to put em on when going outside for something.  They won't handle lots of work that is rough on the fabric but if you carry things in a way that the stuff is always rubbing the fabric it will wear on the fabric.

Gloves, Boy have I got gloves and mittens.  Some surplus odds and ends.  Some just thin leather that are skin tight when put on.  Got some mechanix as well.  I layer gloves.  Pull the warm one off when working on something and the mechanix or leather glove helps somewhat but won't keep you all that warm.

Need to find all my winter watch caps as well.  I got a bunch of em.  Got a scarf or two as well.

Here in east tn we don't have super duper cold but I am traveling north more often these days and will assemble a winter kit shortly.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I like Berne insulated duck bibs, and the matching jackets.

https://bernedirect.com/collections/mens-bib-overalls

Their CCW jacket is awesome,

https://bernedirect.com/collections/mens-ccw/products/ccwj01
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Insulated Carhartt bibs, Carhartt jacket.

Or maybe this winter a Miluakee heated jacket
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Insulated Carhartt bibs, Carhartt jacket.

Or maybe this winter a Miluakee heated jacket
View Quote
I hadn't really given the heated jackets much thought as I thought they were a bit gimmicky.  However, the idea is starting to growing on me for days when I am working for hours and hours in the NW rain (my favorite weather, but my bones are getting old and chilly).  Might also be nice for those mornings waiting for an elk or nights sitting on a frozen bench in a stadium in 20 degree weather.

The vest might be the way I go if I try one.   Has anyone had any experience with these heated jackets or vests?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The vest might be the way I go if I try one.   Has anyone had any experience with these heated jackets or vests?
View Quote
Not personally, but my boss loves his heated jacket.  I thought they sounded gimickey.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not personally, but my boss loves his heated jacket.  I thought they sounded gimickey.
View Quote
My brother in law loves his.

Usual winter loadout is good socks, jeans, t-shirt and a sweat shirt with a lightweight Carhart jacket.  Extra cold snaps add long johns and another sweat shirt.  Really cold (or running the tractor) add insulated bibs.  If you see me in my army surplus bunny boots too it is really freaking cold.

My favorite gloves are Kincos.  Insulated pigskin and blue canvas.  Not super waterproof but enough, not super insulated but enough and still has good flexibility.  Lost one at the junkyard and the place that sold them doesn't sell them anymore.  All I can find now is uninsulated.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My favorite gloves are Kincos.  Insulated pigskin and blue canvas.  Not super waterproof but enough, not super insulated but enough and still has good flexibility.  Lost one at the junkyard and the place that sold them doesn't sell them anymore.  All I can find now is uninsulated.
View Quote
I've been through a lot of those Kinco insulated gloves, you can still find them online. I like them, they are a decent compromise. When you get the pigskin wet it is still flexible when it dries out. They don't stand up well to abrasion, like working with firewood. For that I like split leather, cow or deer, with pile lining. They are not created equal though. I bought one pair that disintegrated in a couple hours. The best ones I've found are at the local metal scrap yard that also takes deer hides. Basically swap a deer hide for a pair of gloves.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've been through a lot of those Kinco insulated gloves, you can still find them online. I like them, they are a decent compromise. When you get the pigskin wet it is still flexible when it dries out. They don't stand up well to abrasion, like working with firewood. For that I like split leather, cow or deer, with pile lining. They are not created equal though. I bought one pair that disintegrated in a couple hours. The best ones I've found are at the local metal scrap yard that also takes deer hides. Basically swap a deer hide for a pair of gloves.
View Quote
I figured I could get them online but I can't make out what size I have.

I have plain ol' leather ones for fencing, I don't do much with firewood.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#28]
In wisconsin I love merino wool base layers and then wool midlayers. then some kinda of carhart type over it for durability. I have not found any of the carhart's that warm without good midlayers under.

I have an old k-mart wool flannel that is my favorite work short for fall/winter. Paid $5 at thrift store. I used to work in the outdoor industry and have closets full of name brands (north face, moonstone, patagonia,etc). They are light but do not hold up for work outside.

What I wear working for a day I would never wear in the mountains for a camping trip though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In wisconsin I love merino wool base layers and then wool midlayers. then some kinda of carhart type over it for durability. I have not found any of the carhart's that warm without good midlayers under.

I have an old k-mart wool flannel that is my favorite work short for fall/winter. Paid $5 at thrift store. I used to work in the outdoor industry and have closets full of name brands (north face, moonstone, patagonia,etc). They are light but do not hold up for work outside.

What I wear working for a day I would never wear in the mountains for a camping trip though.
View Quote
That’s my problem I’ve destroyed 3 down and nano fill Patagonia and Montbell jackets in the last 2 years doing house and homesteading stuff. Rabbit cage shredded my down parka.

I’m determined this year to buy heavier duty outerwear
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Schaefer makes some great ranch work clothes, made in the US (El Paso) as well.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:46:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Carhartt arctic outerwear, hooded sweatshirt, jeans, tshirt, long underwear and another fleece if needed.  Add fleece hat, and a fleece facemask for the head, Kinco insulated gloves, Thermax liners, hand warmers for hands, Muck Arctic Pro Safety Toe boot and heavy wool socks and toe warmers for feet.  This is outdoors all winter long in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
With colder weather setting in, what do you use to stay warm when working outside in the winter. I’ve been wearing Duluth pants and a Patagonia jacket and they aren’t holding up or keeping me warm. Shenandoah Valley for context.
View Quote

My partner gave me a Berne CCW coat a couple of years ago.  It's toasty warm!  Granted I'm a Yankee transplant so I'm the kind of person who just wears that coat with a t-shirt, but for others it may be better to layer with some flannel if it's not enough for them.  Plus, it never hurts to have a coat that has velcro break-away pockets to hold holsters - on each side.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#34]
OST.

This unseasonable cold here has me reevaluating my outdoor gear, and in my case, the times I'd use it, I NEED good gear.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:24:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Cold weather doesn't really bother me. I love it. Jeans,  boots, long sleeve shirt, hoodie, and a light Columbia jacket is typically all I need. On the colder days I might toss on a heavy jacket in the morning or evening.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Depends if the wind is blowing or not. Right now, we are mostly in the mid to upper 20's, occasionally cooler, sometimes warmer. I wear a Sitka merino wool base shirt, duluth firehose pants, long sleeve t-shirt, duluth Alaskan hardgear parka, and a gortex beanie. If the wind isn't blowing, I switch the parka for a firehose jacket. That duluth gear is working well for me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Stormy Kromer wool hat.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm a carhartt fan.   This is me helping arf member Safe1 with firewood.  First picture, black coat with my MS661

Second picture sitting on my excavator loading logs out.

I wasn't wearing my bibs that moment, since you're essentially sitting on the engine and the seat gets warm.   Plus, I had chaps on.

Boots, typically with how wet Ohio is, 800gr Lacross AlphaBurleys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top