Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2017 2:41:02 AM EDT
Recently picked up a 16.5” Remington 700 in 308. I’m going to be running an AAC SDN-6 suppressor on it, so I opted for the 16.5” barrel over the 20” barrel to keep overall length and weight down. This is going to be my deer and elk rifle for at least a season or two. Mountain lion, as well.

From my research thus far pertaining to a 16/16.5” 308 for elk, I seem to see a lot of recommendations for 165, 168, and 180 grain loads. 150, too, but I’ve already kinda weighed out going that light. Don’t intend to take a shot beyond 300 yards with the 16.5” barrel, unless it’s not too much more of a stretch, and I’m feeling real confident about the scenario at hand.

Anyways, what factory load would you folks recommend I go with? Mostly curious if there’s a particular factory load these days that has proven to be dang lethal on elk from shorter 308 barrels at distances not too far out there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 4:56:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Might want to look at Federal's 150gr Nosler Partition load or the 165gr Bonded Tip load.

Fwiw, I think the 308 is best with 150 or 165gr bullets.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Man up and go with 100 grain slick tricks with a 70 lb pull weight and a 30" draw. Silent as hell and the elk will fall over dead within 100 yards.
Jk, I always loved the nosler partition bullets for elk or deer. Got to find what Flys best out of your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Barnes. 

I have had good luck with their off the shelf stuff. Make sure your twist rate will jive with some of the bullet OALs if you choose heavies.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#4]
150-165 fly real good outa my short barreled 308's.Just need to see what shoots the best out of your rifle,use Bonded or Partition bullets.

If It were me I'd try 165 to get the extra kinetic energy for the thicker bodied elk.150's do work on elk though.
Good luck and let us know how it goes
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Anything with a premium 165 gr bullett. My choice is the 165 Barnes Triple Shock or if you can still find any the old Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in the same weight.

Personally I would buy a box of every 165 gr premium load I could find and use the one that shoots the best.

As far as range goes for me it would be 300 yards max and preferably 200-250. I want 2400fps at the animal. I could care less f muzzle velocities. I look for what it is doing at th critter.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Two elk were taken this weekend with my 308 tikka t3 with a 16.5” barrel.

165gr federal BTSP. Farthest one went 88 yards and dropped. 1 shot each
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#7]
What are thoughts on the Federal Premium 165 Trophy Bonded Vital-Shok? Seems to be a solid candidate, but Federal recommends it for medium sized game like whitetail and mule deer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for Barnes Tipped TSX.  You can step down a weight when using copper bullets so I would grab a box of 150 and a box of 165 and use whichever shoots better.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another vote for Barnes Tipped TSX.  You can step down a weight when using copper bullets so I would grab a box of 150 and a box of 165 and use whichever shoots better.
View Quote
What is the logic here? I'm not being sarcastic. I've just not heard this before. That said, I only use Barnes in my 55gr 5.56 coyote loads.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#10]
You've got a slight problem....  Bullets that work wonderfully in faster cartridges aren't going to behave the same way out of your little 308.  You've got an already modest cartridge, and its been neutered by that 16.5 inch barrel....

I've used a 20" Remington Model Seven on deer and caribou for about 25 years.  It works.  However, I have come to realize that velocity losses due to the 20" barrel mean I need to be careful with bullet selection.  this will be even more important for your 16.5 incher....

Hard, deep penetrators like the Barnes ttsx are great bullets.  However, they really need speed to open well.  they work wonders in various 300 magnums and similar 3000 fps+ cartridges.  I suspect you'll likely have a hard time topping 2500 fps with a 165 ttsx out of your gun.  If this is the case (and its likely) you'll find those fantastic TTSX bullets simply aren't going fast enough at 150, 200, 250 yards to really open up and act like they usually do.  Expect miserable, disappointing results.  Its not the bullet.  Its a case of inappropriate use of the bullet.

Given your initial muzzle speeds (due to barrel length), you need something that will open better at reduced speeds.  I've have decent luck with Nosler Partitions.  Fortunately, you've got new developments in bullets, thanks to the long range shooting crowd.  The problem with long range impact is, you guessed it, reduced impact speeds.  Sounds familiar?  The Nosler Accubond LR and the Hornady ELDX are designed to expand well at reduced impact speeds, which is exactly what you need.

Don't worry about bullets "breaking up".  Yes, old school cup and core bullet would break up at high  impact speeds and close ranges.  Your 308 simply won't drive one fast enough to be a real issue.

I'd grab a 165-168 weight, in one of the long range variants, and call it good.  Remember...  since you've got a 16.5" barrel, you are already at a SIGNIFICANT velocity disadvantage.  While many 165 grain 308 loads are rated at 2700 fps, many will only get an actual 2650 or so out of a 24" barrel.  I'm getting low 2600's/high 2500's out of a 20 inch.  You'll likely get something closer to 2450-2475.  In other words, your initial muzzle velocities at powder burn distances are already reduced to what impact speeds would be out of a 24" 308 at 150 yards or so.  Or 200 yards for the same bullet out of a 30-06. In plain english, when you sight in on that bull at 250 yards with your little rifle, the bullet will act much like the same bullet would out of an 30-06 would at 400 yards....  Odds are, even if you can reliably high the target at 300 yards with your rifle, you simply don't have enough real velocity left for the bullet to open hard, expand, penetrate and get it done reliably.      

Hard bullets won't work well at any reasonable range.  You cannot push them fast enough.  Opt for something softer, and easier opening.  the ELD X and Accubond LR should be ideal....  they are designed to expand at reduced speeds....

for what its worth, I've been using 165 grain Ballistic tips out of my 308 for most of those 25 years.  Yup.  they are a fast and fragile bullet.  I would not dream of using one in a fast gun.  However, at the modest short-barrelled 308 speeds of my model Seven, they work WONDERFULLY.  Absolute hammers on deer and caribou.  They work MUCH faster and more reliable than other bullets of harder, more controlled expansion.  The reason?  My 308 isn't fast enough to really work the magic with a hard, deep penetrator but those Ballistic Tips are damned near ideal at the 2500-2450 fps impact speeds I usually end up shooting my game at.  

Match the bullet to your impact speed and it all works well
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info.

And for the record, I’m very comfortable with a 16.5” 308 at 300 yards. I’ve taken a few multi day 1000 yard precision courses with my 16” 308 gas gun. With a 10x scope, I’m still sub MOA out to 600 yards on the regular.

Just need to start breaking in and working out my DOPE on the new 700.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#12]
whoa dude...  Did you read any of what I wrote?  Comfort at 300 yards is largely irrelevant.  The issue isn't skill, ability or training.  The issue is physics.....

With a regular 308, your 300 yard shot is just a 300 yard shot.  With the short 16.5" barrel, the 300 yard shot has all the actual 'inside the elk" terminal ballistics of what would be a 450-500 yard shot.  You've "lost" 200 yards worth of velocity and energy because of the short barrel....

Plan accordingly.  You can get bullets on target. The issue is, will the bullet do the job with the speed it has left when it gets there....

No pissing match intended.  OP asked for input.  I'm trying to help.  The 308 is a capable cartridge. Out of a super short barrel, it really isn't going to act like a 308.  its going to be a whole lot more like a .300 Savage.  Its physics.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh. I both read it, and understood it.

Most my shots on larger game (elk in particular) will be within 200 yards to begin with. I prefer to hunt more densely wooded areas.

I was just pointing out that I generally know where my round is going to hit, as well, so that certainly helps the case.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Most my shots on larger game (elk in particular) will be within 200 yards to begin with. I prefer to hunt more densely wooded areas.

I was just pointing out that I generally know where my round is going to hit, as well, so that certainly helps the case.
View Quote
Knowing how much our bullet is going to drop is a huge asset, but there's more to it than that when it comes to hunting.  I know you're outdoorsy but I don't know your level of hunting experience so I'm going to say this:  There is a big difference between shooting at paper from the prone on a nice flat range and shooting at an animal up or down hill, with the wind swirling, your heart pounding, and your lungs and legs on fire because you just climbed 1000 vertical feet out of a canyon while carrying a bunch of gear.  A 300 yard shot on an animal the size of an elk isn't an especially trick shot, but it still won't be as easy as punching paper.  

As for your original question, I would try to find something loaded with 150 or 165 gr. Nosler Partitions.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 4:39:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Knowing how much our bullet is going to drop is a huge asset, but there's more to it than that when it comes to hunting.  I know you're outdoorsy but I don't know your level of hunting experience so I'm going to say this:  There is a big difference between shooting at paper from the prone on a nice flat range and shooting at an animal up or down hill, with the wind swirling, your heart pounding, and your lungs and legs on fire because you just climbed 1000 vertical feet out of a canyon while carrying a bunch of gear.  A 300 yard shot on an animal the size of an elk isn't an especially trick shot, but it still won't be as easy as punching paper.  

As for your original question, I would try to find something loaded with 150 or 165 gr. Nosler Partitions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh. I get it. Beyond my hunting experience (most of which admittedly was in my younger years - I recently got back into it a couple years ago), I have taken extensive courses and training on all forms of long range precision shooting. One you may personally know of is Glen’s (rizzo) from Independence Training and the AZHTF. His 3 day 1000 yard precision course runs you through the ringer in every aspect. Shooting atop mountains in incredibly awkward positions at extreme angles from up to down, side to side, over or around all kinds of obstacles or objects, and everything in between. I expect MOA or better from myself in most scenarios, and I’ve been consistently capable of that more often than not. I make a point to stay sharp, and spend a lot of time shooting at far more than paper from the prone head on. I’m also quite fit, and just 34. I know my way around wooded and mountainous areas, and don’t fatigue easily. That’s the kinda stuff I most love doing in my free time. I’ll surely bring the endurance and accuracy needed for an elk hunt with me.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m likely gonna go 165, but still considering 168 as well.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like you're well on your way.  Where will you be hunting?  Do you have a tag for this year or are you going to try to draw one next year?  If you can't draw an AZ tag, I can personally vouch for Idaho as a good backup.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I didn’t draw in AZ this year, unfortunately. Here’s to next year, again...

And, you and I are on the same page regarding Idaho. So much so that my father recently returned from about a month up there looking at potential properties/land for a family hunting/vacation cabin.

There’s a good chance that I’ll soon be doing a decent bit of hunting up there.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Idaho really is such a beautiful state.  I did my first elk hunt up there last year and I plan to return every year I don't get drawn for AZ and have the time and money to go.  

Unfortunately I started a new job right before the season this year so couldn't go but I'm already planning a trip for next year if I end up with another AZ bonus point.

I might try Colorado at some point but frankly I'm willing to drive a bit further to support freedom.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Right on, brother.

Perhaps we meet up for an outdoor adventure sometime...
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Right on, brother.

Perhaps we meet up for an outdoor adventure sometime...
View Quote
I'm always up for an adventure, as long as it doesn't involve banjos.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
whoa dude...  Did you read any of what I wrote?  Comfort at 300 yards is largely irrelevant.  The issue isn't skill, ability or training.  The issue is physics.....

With a regular 308, your 300 yard shot is just a 300 yard shot.  With the short 16.5" barrel, the 300 yard shot has all the actual 'inside the elk" terminal ballistics of what would be a 450-500 yard shot.  You've "lost" 200 yards worth of velocity and energy because of the short barrel....

Plan accordingly.  You can get bullets on target. The issue is, will the bullet do the job with the speed it has left when it gets there....

No pissing match intended.  OP asked for input.  I'm trying to help.  The 308 is a capable cartridge. Out of a super short barrel, it really isn't going to act like a 308.  its going to be a whole lot more like a .300 Savage.  Its physics.
View Quote
Agree completely with what your saying.  OP asked about factory options, I would look real hard at the 165 hornady superformance ammo.  Probably a interbond but maybe even a sst.  The superformance is rated at 2840 out of a 24" barrel.  With a 20" they are typically around 2750 or a tad higher.  But according to hornady they will lose a lot more once you go bellow 20", still I would think they will be around 2600 to 2650.  Your max range will be at the point the bullet drops below 2000 with the sst(stops expanding at 1800 but at 2000 will open nice and wide) and around 2200 with the interbond.    I think that will get you close to 300 yards.  As frozen pointed out your not really shooting a 308 your shooting a 300 savage because of the short barrel.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 2:42:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I ended up ordering some of the Nosler Trophy Grade 165 grain Partition ammo. The most I’ve ever paid per round on anything below 338 Lapua, but seems like it will do the trick.

And, Corporal Chaos, no banjos or squealin, I promise.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 3:03:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I run the 150g ttsx out of my 20" right under 2800 fps.   A suggestion for your shorter Barrel would be the fusion MSR 150g, it's a great bullet and you will have better velocity than most factory ammo as its designed for 16-20" barrels.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#25]
My 308's love the Nosler 165gr. Accubond factory loading. Buy it when it goes on sale. I bought a lifetime supply a couple years ago for $18/box.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My 308's love the Nosler 165gr. Accubond factory loading. Buy it when it goes on sale. I bought a lifetime supply a couple years ago for $18/box.
View Quote
This....only I handload my accubonds.  Taken two elk thus far, 16” AR pattern gun, but my range was well under 100 for both.

I load them to factory velocities, have gotten perfect expansion and dropped the elk DRT.  One little 4x4 took a round right thru the shoulder bone that went on and shattered his heart.  Most impressive performance.

I have some graphic pics on photobucket I have to get.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Might want to look at Federal's 150gr Nosler Partition load or the 165gr Bonded Tip load.

Fwiw, I think the 308 is best with 150 or 165gr bullets.
View Quote
This...I would go with 165gr bonded or partition. Monolithic is a great choice as well.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#28]
This is the accubond after breaking a front shoulder and blowing up the heart.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top