Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JIMBEAM:

Thanks
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Beowulf:

If I was buying cans today specifically for gasoline storage I'd get these and save myself the trouble of painting them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valpro-NATO-Jerry-Can-5-gal-20L-Red-Made-in-Europe/233550925631?hash=item3660b84f3f
View Quote

I didn't want red cans but if I did, that's probably the best price around for red Valpro/Wavian cans.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the heads up on this.  I have been looking for a good place to buy some.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 4:17:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DD1801] [#4]
Still making my way through this thread, and there is some great info in here.

When I'm out on the trails in my 4x4, I bring some extra diesel fuel along.  Previously, I had used the 5 gal yellow Blitz containers (from their last run before they went out of business).  They both had the stupid spouts with the Pour/Store switch.  Trying to hold up 35ish lbs of fuel, activating the switch, and pour into a funnel without spilling was always a pain in the butt.  Not to mention a slooooooow process.

Also, on trips into the mountains in Colorado I really never knew to "vent" my containers as I gained altitude.  So like a dummy I'd have some diesel leaking out into the bed area of my truck, getting on whatever I had stored back there.  If it were gasoline it would evaporate quickly, but diesel just stays there, then with all the dirt in the air it would make everything extra dirty.  I was never able to fully clean off one of my coolers (luckily I just use it for extra drinks; my food is brought along inside my rig in my ARB Fridge Freezer).  On my last trip to Colorado I made sure to vent my containers frequently (using my standalone GPS all day, I would take note about every 1,000-2,000 feet of elevation), no leaking in the tailgate/bed area this time.  

If you are climbing in altitude, make sure you vent your containers every 1,000 to 2,000 of elevation change.  

I was also able to finally use my Rotopax containers. I got two of the Rotopax 2-gallon containers, along with the self-venting spout (available separately).  My wife treated me to these two years ago and they are awesome.  Holding 14 lbs of fuel up is quite easy, and with their spout I was able to safely and cleanly pour out the fuel very quickly.  But the Rotopax containers are awesome.  They absolutely do not leak, even with all the bouncing around on the trails.  They have a super tight and secure lid.  For those saying they are expensive, I agree, at full retail price they are expensive.  I used their ebay store and offered them 1/2 price for 2 containers plus a $8 spout at full price.  They accepted.  

I didn't mount them with any of their mounts, I just ratchet strapped them in my bed next to a large heavy tote (filled with extra vehicle fluids).
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:13:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Get some NATO cans and don’t worry about fuel leaking again.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]

If I was buying cans today specifically for gasoline storage I'd get these and save myself the trouble of painting them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valpro-NATO-Jerry-Can-5-gal-20L-Red-Made-in-Europe/233550925631?hash=item3660b84f3f
View Quote

Ordered 2 of those for longer term storage if ethanol free fuel.
Tracking went active the day after order but it hasn't been given to UPS in the 5 days (3 business days) since it went active. Hoping I don't have to dispute.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

Tracking went active the day after order but it hasn't been given to UPS in the 5 days (3 business days) since it went active. Hoping I don't have to dispute.
View Quote

Did you contact the seller?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I did, they quickly responded, they show it left their faculty and are double checking. Hopefully not bs, but I'll update once resolved one way or another
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#9]

I did, they quickly responded, they show it left their faculty and are double checking. Hopefully not bs, but I'll update once resolved one way or another
View Quote

Please do, if this vendor starts having problems that's something we all need to be aware of.  I know other folks have gotten their orders from them so hopefully this is just a UPS issue.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Please do, if this vendor starts having problems that's something we all need to be aware of.  I know other folks have gotten their orders from them so hopefully this is just a UPS issue.
View All Quotes

Apparently, I've ordered from them previously also. I guess it had been a while. They finally accepted that the cans never left the warehouse after they didn't arrive on the estimated arrival date which was 2 weeks after the ship date. I now have a new tracking number that is active and in UPS possession and not just generated. And it should be delivered Thursday. I'll update on can condition when they arrive. So it appears they are making it right.

My theory is they ran out of the red cans. There were 9 remaining on the site inventory. eBay policy allows them to wait until the estimated delivery date before any action can be taken. They got in a new shipment and actually shipped it this time. I just can't buy the line they fed me that "our warehouse indicates the package left our warehouse and UPS didn't scan it." If that had happened it would have gone active within a day or two. I waited a week to contact them about the tracking.

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Apparently, I've ordered from them previously also. I guess it had been a while. They finally accepted that the cans never left the warehouse after they didn't arrive on the estimated arrival date which was 2 weeks after the ship date. I now have a new tracking number that is active and in UPS possession and not just generated. And it should be delivered Thursday. I'll update on can condition when they arrive. So it appears they are making it right.

My theory is they ran out of the red cans. There were 9 remaining on the site inventory. eBay policy allows them to wait until the estimated delivery date before any action can be taken. They got in a new shipment and actually shipped it this time. I just can't buy the line they fed me that "our warehouse indicates the package left our warehouse and UPS didn't scan it." If that had happened it would have gone active within a day or two. I waited a week to contact them about the tracking.

View Quote

Thanks for the follow up and I think you’re probably right about the shipping.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
Heads up....Atlantic British has Valpro/Wavian 20L cans in stock. I got two for a little over $100 shipped. Nice cans. Funny part about them....they say Petrol Highly Flammable engraved in the bottom but then they also come with a red sticker on the top the says Non Potable Water. Funny way to beat CARB importation rules. I peeled the sticker off and filled them up yesterday. I’ll probably pick another two cans up giving me a total of 5 NATO cans full of gas. I have a 4 pack of NATO cans I got from Deusche Optik maybe 10 or so years ago. They are green but have the caps and area around the caps painted yellow so it seems best to use those for diesel.
View Quote

How well will these hold up with gas in them in the Florida heat in a garage?  I have some of the softer plastic 5gal Scepter's and they have started bloat and leak.   They are only two years old.  How well do the Valpro's hold up when it comes to summer bloating?
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MHeemeyer:

How well will these hold up with gas in them in the Florida heat in a garage?  I have some of the softer plastic 5gal Scepter's and they have started bloat and leak.   They are only two years old.  How well do the Valpro's hold up when it comes to summer bloating?
View Quote

I have had no issue with diesel in mine for years in the shed in South Florida.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#14]

I have had no issue with diesel in mine for years in the shed in South Florida.
View Quote

I am on the fence between the Valpro or the Scepter .mil ones.  I am having trouble finding the Scepter's.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
Heads up....Atlantic British has Valpro/Wavian 20L cans in stock. I got two for a little over $100 shipped. Nice cans. Funny part about them....they say Petrol Highly Flammable engraved in the bottom but then they also come with a red sticker on the top the says Non Potable Water. Funny way to beat CARB importation rules. I peeled the sticker off and filled them up yesterday. I’ll probably pick another two cans up giving me a total of 5 NATO cans full of gas. I have a 4 pack of NATO cans I got from Deusche Optik maybe 10 or so years ago. They are green but have the caps and area around the caps painted yellow so it seems best to use those for diesel.

I have had two that bloated and flexed with the temperature changes and ended up developing pinhole leaks after several years. They’ll get what looks like a pinch in the metal, usually the broad side of the can.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 5:11:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#16]

View Quote

Very very well. Do a search on YouTube for Valpro gas can tests. The one where they fill one like halfway with gas and then light a fire around it....it’s impressive.

The ones where they pressurize them are also impressive.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By alphabavo:

I have had two that bloated and flexed with the temperature changes and ended up developing pinhole leaks after several years. They’ll get what looks like a pinch in the metal, usually the broad side of the can.
View Quote

This happened with Valpro cans?  That’s remarkable as the cans are designed to flex with temperature changes.  Stored outside?  Have any pictures?
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 1:39:16 AM EDT
[#18]

This happened with Valpro cans?  That’s remarkable as the cans are designed to flex with temperature changes.  Stored outside?  Have any pictures?
View All Quotes

Stored in almost direct sun in the Phoenix heat. Certainly not ideal conditions, probably the worst you could find. Just reporting what I’ve dealt with. I’ll continue to use them, I have 12 more that are still in good shape.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Stored in almost direct sun in the Phoenix heat. Certainly not ideal conditions, probably the worst you could find. Just reporting what I’ve dealt with. I’ll continue to use them, I have 12 more that are still in good shape.
View Quote

I guess if anything will kill a can that will.  Not just the heat but the cold as well.  I spent some time in west Texas and at certain times of the year the difference between the daytime high and the nighttime low could be spectacular.  That’s a lot of flexing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Finally received today.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Didn't read through the WHOLE thread, so hopefully I'm not trying to reanimate a dead horse...
I bought a number of the NATO cans from Ohio Prep supply a few years back. I need to replace gaskets, and neither the Wavian, Atlantic British, or generic Chinese off Amazon fit my cans / spout.

Since Ohio Prep supply seems to be deadded, anyone have any suggestions on gaskets that might fit my cans?
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Maybe (probably?) these.  Ohio Prep sold mostly Gelg cans.  

https://www.jerrycan.com/shop/gelg-jerry-can-gasket/
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Question for those smarter than I (figured this might be the best place to get an answer).

I'm picking up a used flammables cabinet today - I have to store my fuel in an attached garage.  I typically keep Jerry cans: 2x 20L and 3x 10L cans full (with a few empties that I would fill up in case of a storm etc).  My bigger question- can I store my spare BBQ propane safely in the same cabinet?  Obviously a cage outdoors would be bet, but not feasible on my property.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#24]
It’s never safe to store anything larger than 1lb propane tanks in an enclosed space. Realistically, it’s unlikely anything would happen but if something did....it’s bad....really bad. Do you have a deck you could store them under? Cable lock them to a post maybe?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#25]
It’s never safe to store anything larger than 1lb propane tanks in an enclosed space. Realistically, it’s unlikely anything would happen but if something did....it’s bad....really bad. Do you have a deck you could store them under? Cable lock them to a post maybe?
View Quote

That's what I figured.  Currently store outside next to the house, not locked up or anything, but probably best to keep them out like that rather than the garage.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#26]
https://www.roverparts.com/flashsale/

Atlantic British / rover parts is having a sale on ValPro cans. Mine came marked wavian.

Nmg
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By echo6:
Didn't read through the WHOLE thread, so hopefully I'm not trying to reanimate a dead horse...
I bought a number of the NATO cans from Ohio Prep supply a few years back. I need to replace gaskets, and neither the Wavian, Atlantic British, or generic Chinese off Amazon fit my cans / spout.

Since Ohio Prep supply seems to be deadded, anyone have any suggestions on gaskets that might fit my cans?
View Quote

You may have the large mouth "oil" cans from Valpro with a large V on the side and "BUND" imprinted below.

Mine leak at the mouth and haven't used them in years. I have emailed Valpro in Latvia looking for gaskets, no response yet.

http://valpro.lv/en/products/metal-cans/military-line/Oil-can-military.html
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Finally received today.
View All Quotes

Finally received today.

Filled up 2 with corn free gas. Forgot to take them out of the truck bed afterwords. Daughter distracted me for something and never got around to putting them in the shed. I had them bungeed in, but they were still bouncing around for a week. Seal held great, no spillage. Very good cans.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Hi guys.  Glad to see this thing still going strong!  I had no idea it would go this long!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:00:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By FordGuy:
Hi guys.  Glad to see this thing still going strong!  I had no idea it would go this long!
View Quote

You used to post a lot around here but kinda fell off the radar
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Looked through the oracle and maybe I missed it but...did we ever decide on what spout works best with scepter mpc?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:19:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#32]
Originally Posted By futurerancher:
Looked through the oracle and maybe I missed it but...did we ever decide on what spout works best with scepter mpc?
View Quote

This one in my opinion is the best for the MFC.  It's not cheap though.  The hose will need to be replaced eventually but replacement parts are available on ebay.  

https://www.scepter.com/products/military-products/military-accessories/military-fuel-can-spout-3-4-19-mm-04856/

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By wasrman:

That's what I figured.  Currently store outside next to the house, not locked up or anything, but probably best to keep them out like that rather than the garage.
View Quote

Here pretty soon I’m going to get a large job site tool box for storage of fuel cans.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-in-W-x-24-in-D-Steel-Job-Site-Tool-Box-in-Black-H60JSB/309019895
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:53:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shooter_gregg] [#34]
Has anyone had experience with Jerrycan.com?
I ordered from them and they screwed up my order. I can't get them to answer the phone and they aren't helpful on email.

ETA: Spelling.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got a call back from Jerrycan.com. Turns out they are swamped with orders. They are sending the rest of my order. I'll be buying from them again.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#36]
It has been some time since I ordered some of the scepter fuel cans. Are there any good deals on them these days? I really like them, but I can't see paying $100 for a gas can plus shipping.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 6:02:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
It has been some time since I ordered some of the scepter fuel cans. Are there any good deals on them these days? I really like them, but I can't see paying $100 for a gas can plus shipping.
View Quote

Unless you can talk a Canadian to bring you some, you are stuck paying absurd prices on eBay for used cans. I have a few but since I’ve switched to NATO cans I might “price gouge” them on eBay.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Unless you can talk a Canadian to bring you some, you are stuck paying absurd prices on eBay for used cans. I have a few but since I've switched to NATO cans I might "price gouge" them on eBay.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

Unless you can talk a Canadian to bring you some, you are stuck paying absurd prices on eBay for used cans. I have a few but since I've switched to NATO cans I might "price gouge" them on eBay.

Well, that might be an option at our annual car convention this year. Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I thought the borders were closed to Canada? Has that changed?
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SR712:
I thought the borders were closed to Canada? Has that changed?
View Quote

I'm assuming by the summer things will be open. Perhaps I'm overly optimistic.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:26:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Milsurpninja] [#41]
How well do the heavier plastic “U-Jugs” hold up long term?  Rural King has them for $20 and they feel a lot heavier than the typical red plastic can.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Milsurpninja:
How well do the heavier plastic "U-Jugs" hold up long term?  Rural King has them for $20 and they feel a lot heavier than the typical red plastic can.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102025/C1661346-268D-4616-94CB-C19CD5967A6F_png-1912477.JPG
View Quote

I was wondering the same when I went through the store this last weekend. I would imagine that they hold up very well, but I doubt they keep out moisture as well as other cans.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:20:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WrightP] [#43]
I've got some Wavian can's I've had for about 5 years. I went to fill them up recently and I was very disappointed when I looked at the bottom and found the paint flaking off and rust underneath. These can's have always been stored elevated and never site in water. Has anyone else experienced this?

Two different cans.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Wow, that's odd. I just moved 12 of my cans from 2009 (?) onto a new rack, and they look fine. Stored in a garage that gets humid at times, too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:12:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WrightP] [#45]
Originally Posted By SR712:
Wow, that's odd. I just moved 12 of my cans from 2009 (?) onto a new rack, and they look fine. Stored in a garage that gets humid at times, too.
View Quote

No kidding. If the outside looks like that I’m sure the inside is rusting as well. I’m not contemplating going with the racing jugs.

Edit: Whelp that's it no more metal cans for me. Went to the plastic racing jugs. I'm sure they will be ok for the year or so I keep the fuel.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:53:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bassackwards] [#46]
I scored these!

$40

Attachment Attached File

Who knew that Briggs & Stratton sold these?
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 12:58:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Bit of an odd thing I'm seeing with several Wavian cans, 20L and 10L size.    

Happens with all of them, oldest can is 9 years old (but has a new gasket), newest cans are about 7 months old.

All of them have seemed to leak a bit, starting from the first fill.   I'm getting thick orangeish fluid slowly seeping out under the front bottom of the cap, then running down the front of the can.  Smells like gas, but not as strongly as straight gas.

I do have Stabil in the gas; only thing I can think of is that something in the Stabil is wicking out around the seal.   Seals are tight; I can turn the cans upside down and shake them around without any apparent leaking.

Cans have not been subjected to temp extremes, none have been poured from without a nozzle (and the newer ones haven't been poured at all, only had gas in a couple for ~2 months)
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By boltcatch:

Happens with all of them, oldest can is 9 years old (but has a new gasket), newest cans are about 7 months old.

All of them have seemed to leak a bit, starting from the first fill.   I'm getting thick orangeish fluid slowly seeping out under the front bottom of the cap, then running down the front of the can.  Smells like gas, but not as strongly as straight gas.

I do have Stabil in the gas; only thing I can think of is that something in the Stabil is wicking out around the seal.   Seals are tight; I can turn the cans upside down and shake them around without any apparent leaking.

Cans have not been subjected to temp extremes, none have been poured from without a nozzle (and the newer ones haven't been poured at all, only had gas in a couple for ~2 months)
View Quote

I don’t think I’d trust the gas until you figure it out.  Maybe try a Mr Funnel and see if it separates anything from the fuel?  Or shake up a can and then pour some into a clear container and let it sit.  Maybe something will separate out.  The one thing that jumps out is the fact that the lining of the can is orange so maybe the Stabil is reacting to that?  How it would be leaking out from a good seal is baffling.  Please keep us posted.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 12:18:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: boltcatch] [#49]
Yeah I'm still stumped; haven't seen anything else come out since I cleaned them off.   The gas has always seemed fine - ran small engines, generators, and trucks on it without any hiccups.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By boltcatch:

View Quote

Do you mind sharing where you sourced the cans? Have you mentioned it to the seller to see if they have any ideas? It definitely sounds like an unusual issue based on how highly everyone speaks of wavian cans.
Page / 38
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 34 of 38)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top