NEW Brand of feed

small mouth bass, perch, cats dead

bull frogs and turtles no deaders??

kept as natural as possible but with some care
has aeration for oxygen
pond is over 10 years old, had one bad algae bloom 5 or 6 years ago
algae is brown and slimy
fish are dead and dying
no idea, wife's gonna call extension service monday, i hate having the man on my land but;
this has to be stopped if possible..

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Any chance the heavy rain brought something in? Is any part of the drainage area that fills the pond ag land? There are many residual ag chems today that can last in the soil for long periods of time, heavy rains can wash the chems or chem laden soils away (sometimes leading to a pond).

You may keep your place natural but the neighbors may not.

Outside of that I would be looking heavily at the new fish food introducing a toxin or illness/fungal thing to your water. Have you called the manufacturer? I would expect many manufacturers to deny that such a thing could occur but a reputable one may acknowledge the possibility and request some tissue samples and water samples to try to help you figure it out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks stinky.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#3]
How deep is the pond? If past 18 19 feet your o2 may have flipped and created a dead zone.

read about it here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Time to dredge maybe?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How deep is the pond? If past 18 19 feet your o2 may have flipped and created a dead zone.

read about it here.
View Quote

Exactly what I’m thinking
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it fair to say it's the edium and larger sized fish that died?  I know you said you aerate the pond, but at first glimpse sounds like low 02.  Hot weather after heavy runoff can definitely trigger O2 depletion.  Have an carp in your pond?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks to me like you had some algae weed die off that lead to O2 depletion. And it could be years of nutrient buildup and the pond turned just at the right time. We have settlement pond from the coal mine that every ten or so years has a fish kill. It’s nutrient rich shallow and ducks absolutely love it. It gets enough duck waste to cause a catastrophic loss and induce a fish kill.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#8]
that sucks, I'd knock off the new feed for sure.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

read about it here.
View Quote

15 to 18 ft at center
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any chance the heavy rain brought something in? Is any part of the drainage area that fills the pond ag land? There are many residual ag chems today that can last in the soil for long periods of time, heavy rains can wash the chems or chem laden soils away (sometimes leading to a pond).

You may keep your place natural but the neighbors may not.

Outside of that I would be looking heavily at the new fish food introducing a toxin or illness/fungal thing to your water. Have you called the manufacturer? I would expect many manufacturers to deny that such a thing could occur but a reputable one may acknowledge the possibility and request some tissue samples and water samples to try to help you figure it out.
View Quote

heavy rain last week
no run off from neighbors, no ag with in a mile or more

food?? maybe, it's my thinking..but its been 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is it fair to say it's the edium and larger sized fish that died?  I know you said you aerate the pond, but at first glimpse sounds like low 02.  Hot weather after heavy runoff can definitely trigger O2 depletion.  Have an carp in your pond?
View Quote

all under 7 inchs only spotted maybe 3 or 4 larger fish and none have floated yet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks to me like you had some algae weed die off that lead to O2 depletion. And it could be years of nutrient buildup and the pond turned just at the right time. We have settlement pond from the coal mine that every ten or so years has a fish kill. It’s nutrient rich shallow and ducks absolutely love it. It gets enough duck waste to cause a catastrophic loss and induce a fish kill.
View Quote

so an algea die off can cause dead fish? hmm.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

15 to 18 ft at center
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

read about it here.

15 to 18 ft at center

I assume you have a fountain aerator?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Pond probably turned over.  Oxygen poor water came up from bottom of pond with the heavy rain. Been there done that.  It sucks.
Aerators would help in the future.

Head to Pond Boss to learn more.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Fish look to have large eyes and thin bellies.  That usually means too many fish/too little nutrition.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#16]

aerator
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#17]
nitirites?  water test?
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

That appears to be a fountain which isn't adequate at preventing pond turnover according to the article linked above.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#19]
You got a lot of bull rush in that pond?    Could be dying and that causes blooms and algae that may be it…….any woods close by? Run off from woods?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:52:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That appears to be a fountain which isn't adequate at preventing pond turnover according to the article linked above.
View Quote

possibly not, the pump is 6' below the surface. i've been reluctant to run electric that far under water to center it
if thats the case, its a summer project..but it's been going for 10 years and this is the first time i have had any kind of die off..
can count on 1 hand the number of dead fish i have pulled from the pond in those 10 years.

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:52:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You got a lot of bull rush in that pond?    Could be dying and that causes blooms and algae that may be it…….any woods close by? Run off from woods?
View Quote

no bullrushes, no cattails.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:54:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
nitirites?  water test?
View Quote

trying to get local agent to get us the test kit to send to the state lab..
no over flow from crops near me, horse and cattle and only run off is from my yard and it
has fed the pond the same way for all its existance.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Fish look to have large eyes and thin bellies.  That usually means too many fish/too little nutrition.
View Quote

once they've come out of dormacy, around march 1 we start feeding every other day until we see a lot of activity
then it's an every other day feed..until june 1 then daily..
as has been for the last 10 years
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:50:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I feed mine year round.
Water Temp?

Usually lack of oxygen or heat.  But since you had a big rain, may be something in the run off.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#25]
If it were an O2 problem fish would be at the surface and probably be "gulping" to get air.  

Have you done a sein survey?

I know you said you hate involving the man but a fisheries biologist can probably give you a diagnosis very quickly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:52:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If it were an O2 problem fish would be at the surface and probably be "gulping" to get air.  

Have you done a sein survey?

I know you said you hate involving the man but a fisheries biologist can probably give you a diagnosis very quickly.
View Quote

no comprende..

water test kit on the way from the state to send to the lab
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

possibly not, the pump is 6' below the surface. i've been reluctant to run electric that far under water to center it
if thats the case, its a summer project..but it's been going for 10 years and this is the first time i have had any kind of die off..
can count on 1 hand the number of dead fish i have pulled from the pond in those 10 years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should look at bottom diffused aeration.  As mentioned a fountain won't cut it to prevent a fish kill. You do not need to run electricity to the pond.  Just the airline.  The pump can be at a convenient and covered electrical source.  Take a look here Stoney Creek Equipment
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Dying algae consumes O2, that's why we used to apply algaecides a section at a time.

Also ran Powerhouse brand aerators, didn't center them, usually placed in deeper area.
Or as far as extension cord would go.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

no comprende..

water test kit on the way from the state to send to the lab
View Quote
A sein is a net with small holes that do not hurt the fish.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You should look at bottom diffused aeration.  As mentioned a fountain won't cut it to prevent a fish kill. You do not need to run electricity to the pond.  Just the airline.  The pump can be at a convenient and covered electrical source.  Take a look here Stoney Creek Equipment
View Quote

This

Air bubbles diffusing up through the lower levels of the water do much more to move and stir the water. A water pump only moves the gpm it is rated for and if it's only 6' down it's not pulling any water from deeper than that so you can still have a thermocline or stratification in the pond water. Air bubbles change the density of the water and therefore creates an entire column of low density water that rises to the surface (and oxygenates the water at the same time), turning over hundreds of gallons per minute.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You haven't applied aquatic weed killer to the pond by any chance have you?
View Quote

no
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This

Air bubbles diffusing up through the lower levels of the water do much more to move and stir the water. A water pump only moves the gpm it is rated for and if it's only 6' down it's not pulling any water from deeper than that so you can still have a thermocline or stratification in the pond water. Air bubbles change the density of the water and therefore creates an entire column of low density water that rises to the surface (and oxygenates the water at the same time), turning over hundreds of gallons per minute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

so, IF I ran a "hose" or PVC Piping from the pump 6' below the surface to the center of the pond 18' below, with a diffuser on it. this will work?..??
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't know about ponds, but know a little bit about aquariums, so scale might make a difference but basic concepts should be similar.

One thing I see is your water pump looks like it's falling on the dock. Aeration occurs when you aggitate the water's surface allowing gas exchange to occur.

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Algae blooms and die offs would be really big sudden changes in the cycling of the pond.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 4:36:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I don't know about ponds, but know a little bit about aquariums, so scale might make a difference but basic concepts should be similar.

One thing I see is your water pump looks like it's falling on the dock. Aeration occurs when you aggitate the water's surface allowing gas exchange to occur.

View Quote

about 10% is hitting the dock. there are multiple heads in 3 directions
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:24:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Results yet?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top