Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 6:31:12 PM EDT
LINK

Do not commit crimes with your radios, comrades!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
LINK

View Quote

What do they define as a "crime"?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Amateur radio operators warn FCC to respect victimless freedom of speech.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Well there ya go! All we gotta do is remind people not to commit crimes with guns. See how simple that is.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I had no intentions of transmitting outside of the frequencies I'm licensed for, nor would I ever use foul language when I transmit. I have said WTF a few times while receiving.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I feel safer listening to to my radios now. Thanks fcc!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
LINK

View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/FCC-Advisory-17-Jan-2021/22-699154/
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What do they define as a "crime"?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]

"We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to say write 'fuck' on their aeroplanes the radio because it's obscene!"

Apocalypse Now Colonel Walter E Kurtz
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Somebody got a new hat. Is that a promotion?

Did I hear that now it's illegal to do illegal stuff on the radio?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well there ya go! All we gotta do is remind people not to commit crimes with guns. See how simple that is.
View Quote

I like the way you think!  You may be on to something here... there is many applications to this logic.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:38:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Send that memo to Jeff Bezos and the folks at eBay...maybe the flow of those dangerous Baofeng radios can be stopped.

WTF...the regulatory nonsense of the FCC is only just starting. Now if FCC could run that nutty Canadian from 14.313 Mhz, maybe all will be right with Amateur Radio world.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#12]
VE7KFM is a fixture on 14.313.  He's "the last man standing."  "It's a matter of honor."

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Wait a minute......when did illegal stuff become illegal?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wait a minute......when did illegal stuff become illegal?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Send that memo to Jeff Bezos and the folks at eBay...maybe the flow of those dangerous Baofeng radios can be stopped.

WTF...the regulatory nonsense of the FCC is only just starting. Now if FCC could run that nutty Canadian from 14.313 Mhz, maybe all will be right with Amateur Radio world.
View Quote

That’s probably the reason for the $35 license fee - to chase those desperadoes from the airwaves...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Amazon and eBay have been selling cheap Chinese rubber dog crap radios years. This is the real issue. The nonsense that preppers, militias, and others wacko (Antifa,BLM) groups have been advocating by using these cheap HT's for their TEOTWAWKI fantasies has put amateur radios under harsh scrutiny. You can't have anything nice because people are stupid.

The DC incident has all of the Congress Critters freaked out, so in typical government style....all radios and operators are now enemies of the state.  It won't be long before we all have to produce a license to buy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:19:06 AM EDT
[#17]
True enough.Trouble is that the unwashed have already shown up on a local repeater requesting a radio check on 144.700 then calling on 145.370 with no callsigns. Went on for about 30 minutes. None of the usual guys on the system acknowledged then so I kept quiet.

Here we go.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:44:14 AM EDT
[#18]
While them sending out the notice annoyed me...  I did notice while studying today that using amateur radio to facilitate a crime was already a prohibited activity - kind of like broadcasting radio or obscene language...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Dang, right when I was ready to key up with 2,000 watts too! Ohh well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#20]
This has always been the case, or at least as long as I can remember from back in the '50s.

The problem is, the FCC is now under control of the Democrats, and we all know how they are going to define "crime". Say anything at all critical of their government and you'll have your license revoked, radios confiscated, bank accounts raided, and spend time in prison.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#21]
so it's MORE illegal now?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Bills are running behind and I was going to use my rig to rob a local bank.

Guess I'll just have to try something else.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bills are running behind and I was going to use my rig to rob a local bank.

Guess I'll just have to try something else.
View Quote
Do you own a Baofeng and a tube sock?? That's constructive intent. And probably more usefully than 99% of the Chinese HT's sold to preppers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
True enough.Trouble is that the unwashed have already shown up on a local repeater requesting a radio check on 144.700 then calling on 145.370 with no callsigns. Went on for about 30 minutes. None of the usual guys on the system acknowledged them so I kept quiet.

Here we go.
View Quote

That's the correct procedure.  Its against FCC reg for licensees to communicate with unlicensed operators in non emergency situations; that would include telling them to get off the frequency
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#25]
All I use my radio for is discussing baking recipes.  I'm good.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah fun stuff today, on the WIN system, right about the time the installation of the oligarch was taking place, someone was transmitting bits of sound of the tragic event.....then some fucktard came on and said "congratulations president joe.....WOOO HOOOO!"

And you know what?  More voices came on....one said "remember, YOU voted for this" ominously....some lady said "I didn't vote for this"...another guy said "fuck that motherfucker"...then some guy said "amen to that"...followed by another "I second that motion!".

I was surprised.  Highly irregular, all the non-identifying comments....but it made my day.  Lot of libtards on the air, as we all know...but 5 voices against, vs. 1 for...there's hope for America after all!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
VE7KFM is a fixture on 14.313.  He's "the last man standing."  "It's a matter of honor."

View Quote

He's essentially a propagation beacon.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been a propagation beacon for a week or more, just wish I didn't need to tie up the radio to do it lol.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I say it's time the FCC hold these Chinese radio manufacturers accountable for their crimes, along with those who sell them.  For the children, and all.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laugh, you bastards but I have used him for one.

One of our Washington guys wanted me in his logbook. We tried a couple of times. No dice.  So I told him to wait until I could hear Karol.

A couple of hours later he came up with a good signal. I IM'd him, we tried again and BINGO! QSO!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#31]
OP, what just came to mind is James Cagney on top of a gas ball with a Tommy gun in one hand and a Chinese HT in the other.

ETA I wonder how many people have bought HF rigs and when they arrived they said, "Now what? Power supply? Antenna tuner? Antenna? I thought you could just plug it in!"

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's the correct procedure.  Its against FCC reg for licensees to communicate with unlicensed operators in non emergency situations; that would include telling them to get off the frequency
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
True enough.Trouble is that the unwashed have already shown up on a local repeater requesting a radio check on 144.700 then calling on 145.370 with no callsigns. Went on for about 30 minutes. None of the usual guys on the system acknowledged them so I kept quiet.

Here we go.

Had someone with a GMRS call try to check in to our big (seasonal) daily weather net last year. Net control said something about that not being a valid amateur call sign and the he "forgot" their call and suggested they forget the repeater frequency before everyone remembers their call...
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#33]
One of the things these unlicensed people forget is that practically ALL net controls and most other hams have a laptop next to them and the QRZ page open.

Someone tried to check in on a local repeater and when asked for his call sign gave a Chinese call sign. Some hilarity ensued.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
One of the things these unlicensed people forget is that practically ALL net controls and most other hams have a laptop next to them and the QRZ page open.

Someone tried to check in on a local repeater and when asked for his call sign gave a Chinese call sign. Some hilarity ensued.
View Quote

OK.  I'm pretty good friends with xxxx.
clock starts ...now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Amazon and eBay have been selling cheap Chinese rubber dog crap radios years. This is the real issue. The nonsense that preppers, militias, and others wacko (Antifa,BLM) groups have been advocating by using these cheap HT's for their TEOTWAWKI fantasies has put amateur radios under harsh scrutiny. You can't have anything nice because people are stupid.

The DC incident has all of the Congress Critters freaked out, so in typical government style....all radios and operators are now enemies of the state.  It won't be long before we all have to produce a license to buy.
View Quote

Well, none of those guys want to get a license so why whine about it to hams?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

OK.  I'm pretty good friends with W9XA.
clock starts ...now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK.  I'm pretty good friends with W9XA.
clock starts ...now.

OK, assuming I am on the air with an open laptop, about three seconds because I am a slow typist.

Bingo.Some guy in IL.

Because I keep a paper log and am going by memory I think he's in my log book but am not too sure.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#37]
It's time to lock the ham forum down to only licensed amateurs. The "no license needed" preppers and the stupid need to find another forum to call home.

Encouraging people to get a license is fine, but the ridiculous never ending stupid posts from the unwashed about secret squirrel unlicensed world wide communications is just plain exhausting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top