Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2018 8:40:42 PM EDT
What is a good study guide for the extra test?
Do I need to learn code?
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I used and liked the ARRL study guides, including extra. I checked them out from my local library so no cost was involved.

Eta: code is no longer required.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I used the qrz.com practice tests, no code anymore but glad I've picked it up and used it
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do I need to learn code?
Thanks
View Quote
I thought Gordon West’s were very good.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do I need to learn code?
Thanks
View Quote
Sucks to be you, you should've gotten your extra ticket last year. Starting 1-1-2018, the FCC requires you have to be able to send/copy at 20wpm.

Wait a min. I just realized I'm full of crap. Dang it. Being dishonest for comic effect is a character flaw that I've been procrastinating working on.

Gordon West study book.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Hamtestonline
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want to learn the material rather than just memorizing Q&A, get this: http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Extra-Class-License-Manual-11th-Edition/

CW is no longer required, but there is a lot of activity on the mode, including the old-fashioned way with straight keys and bugs: www.skccgroup.com
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I did not use a study guide for either General or Extra.  I used the online question banks to grind the questions and answers for both tests for a month or two, then passed both tests.

Since I'm kind of a chucklehead, I think anyone can do it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#8]
There are many study guides that work well.  I used the gordon west to review all of the questions.   Then I made a goal to read and understand 70 questions a day for 11 days.. Was brutal and was braindead for sure.. Being that I kept the material on me I could pull it out and review a question all day long when I had a second.   Between this review I worked fast thru the questions with the ham test prep android app.  HAM TEST PREP APP It was a good tool to show me what sections I needed to review..  Screw a bunch of smith charts, that is some voodoo that I skipped understanding and memorized the answer.  Being that I know basic electronics it made the tech/gen easier to me.. The Extra was a PITA.. With something like 770 questions it was a challenge..  To be truthful you will prob forget the test material in a couple months, but you will learm more setting up and maintaining a hf station..  The biggest motivation was the ssb DX just below 14.225 that was always there, just out of reach...  Passed the test, thats all I can say..  Prob was close to failing but I did it..  Funny how much pleasure I had when they said  I passed..  Just find a date that you want to shoot for, break down the questions and knock out so many a day..   If a redneck like me can do it, anybody can.. BTW,  good luck and Blessings..

Prosise
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought Gordon West’s were very good.
View Quote
Hey @Gulfdiver I'll send you this if you're interested....IM me!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#11]
This study guide made all the difference for me: http://hamclass.org/ExtraStolen.pdf

I had failed every practice test online, so the day of the test I woke up about an hour early and found this PDF. Even though I hadn't passed any of the practice tests I figured I'd wing it anyway, and ended up walking away with like an 83%.

Hope that helps!Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#12]
QRZ.com and eHam.net

Worked for me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used

https://hamstudy.org/
View Quote
Also worked great for me...
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 1:13:15 AM EDT
[#14]
There are a lot of good smartphone apps. I was able to go from tech to extra, I went through the General questions section by section. When I didnt know something I would google it. Then went through the Extra questions, the app i used gave me a score on each section so I know where I needed to study more.

For me the smart phone was nice I could practice whenever I was waiting restaurant, airport ...ect
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top