Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2019 5:08:33 PM EDT
Hi Guys....

It seems that lately ammo companies have been putting a lot of time, energy and money into bullet development, and there are ever more supposedly decent bullets on the market.   One of those new bullets is Winchester's PowerMax.

I've recently found a rifle I've been seeking for a very long time:  It's a circa 1989 Marlin Model 30 TK, made specifically for Kmart.  Basically, its just a basic Marlin 336, only the barrel has been shortened to about 18", equipped with a 2/3 length magazine, and a straight stock. In other words, its a somewhat shortened and lightened.  And of course it's in 30-30...  So its time to investigate 30-30 loads.  I know I simply cannot go wrong with an old school round nosed soft point from any of the big companies, but hey, there are new advances in ammo technology.

Obviously there is Hornday Lever Revolution stuff, with the 160 gummy tip bullet.  Fantastic development apparently, but pretty much irrelevant when the absolute longest shot I can take (Adirondack BIG woods) is 90, maybe 100 yards...  This is where I'm wondering about PowerMax.  While I am decidedly NOT a huge fan of any hollow point bullet for use on big game, and "Bonded" is of dubious value in a bullet that plods along at 2200 FPS, Winchester supposedly designed this bullet for VERY violent expansion on deer...

One thing I've learned is this:  Marketing hype does not always equal actual on-deer performance.  Has anyone used the new Powermax, in any cartridge, on deer???  Or on anything else?

Thanks

Fro
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I use it in 30-06 for hogs, works great. Always breaks the shoulder and sadly destroys the opposite shoulder before passing all the way through.

Effective bullet and highly accurate in my T3x. I’ve never felt the need to use anything bonded on something like deer, they just aren’t that tough to kill.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It's my go-to for .30-30 hunting. Federal blue box for plinking at the range or shooting cans and the power Max for hunting.

I bought a bunch of Leverevolution when I picked up my Marlin and was very disappointed. Accuracy was okay but didn't match Federal blue box or power Max. LE is acceptable enough for hunting and I used LE for exactly one year. Lost one deer in the rain. The shot was 220 yards and there was no blood trail whatsoever. Deer fell at the shot kicked for a couple of seconds and got back on its feet only to run off as if nothing happened. I won't use LE again. Power Max gives dramatic wounds. I consider it the best of what's available for the .30-30.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top