Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2019 8:46:49 PM EDT
This came a lot earlier than I had planned, but I've found myself in a situation where I may be able to acquire some 1970s-1980s-vintage underground mining equipment for a very, very good price. This stuff has been in outdoor cold storage in central New Mexico since the late 80s. There look to be several underground diesel trucks and loaders in unknown condition; I presume most of them were operable when parked. I will be making a site visit this weekend to assess. My interest is primarily in a loader, rock drills, and possibly a compressor to run the drills if a small trailered unit is present.

As someone who is familiar with industrial maintenance and operating but not working on mobile equipment beyond basic troubleshooting and pre-operation inspections, what do I need to know? What should I be looking for? What should I run away from?

I'm assuming that all tires and hydraulic hoses will need replacement. Fluids, filters, and batteries are all a given. Injector and glow plug work wouldn't surprise me either. Based on a conversation with the caretaker, it sounds as if there are extensive spares on site that are also available for purchase. If possible, I will look through maintenance records as well.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
that age would they even have glow plugs?

my 79 Detroit doesnt
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not quite sure. I've got some suspicions about what the loader(s) are based on proportions and dimensions, and tracked down the shop manual for the OEM-installed engines. I'll need to review the manual to see what I can figure out.

The engine operation manuals are $150 on eBay; I hope I can find a copy at the site. Still no luck in finding equipment parts/operation manuals online.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I have: 1948 IH T6 crawler with a 1952 Bucyrus Erie blade package, 1952 Farmall Super C, 1949 IH TD6, 1957 CAT D4 7u, 1961 CAT D6B, 1964 CAT D4D, 1961 CAT 12 grader. All in running / usable condition.

Your technical manuals are worth their weight in gold.  The old CAT and IH technical manuals had everything broken down for repairs. They had part numbers, which are typically obsolete but you can cross them to newer parts. (Especially anything electrical.)

Get familiar with your local hydraulic shop. Having cylinders taken apart, re-chromed and repacked.  Don't expect much new support for drivetrain or under carriage parts.  However in today's world of machine shops, most things can be recreated rather well, out of the same or better materials.

Find junk yard sources and be willing to make due with used parts that aren't exactly right. I replaced the tracks on my T6 crawler a few years ago.  Ended up buying wider pads and cutting them down to fit.  Bolt pattern was still the same.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Misc. good info.
View Quote
I agree with the above.  If a person wants an all original type perfect restoration, things get really tricky.  If you just want a usable machine that mostly looks original, you have to get a little creative with piecing together old half wore out parts and having new stuff fabricated when necessary.

-Guy That Has No Experience With Mining Equipment
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have: 1948 IH T6 crawler with a 1952 Bucyrus Erie blade package, 1952 Farmall Super C, 1949 IH TD6, 1957 CAT D4 7u, 1961 CAT D6B, 1964 CAT D4D, 1961 CAT 12 grader. All in running / usable condition.

Your technical manuals are worth their weight in gold.  The old CAT and IH technical manuals had everything broken down for repairs. They had part numbers, which are typically obsolete but you can cross them to newer parts. (Especially anything electrical.)

Get familiar with your local hydraulic shop. Having cylinders taken apart, re-chromed and repacked.  Don't expect much new support for drivetrain or under carriage parts.  However in today's world of machine shops, most things can be recreated rather well, out of the same or better materials.

Find junk yard sources and be willing to make due with used parts that aren't exactly right. I replaced the tracks on my T6 crawler a few years ago.  Ended up buying wider pads and cutting them down to fit.  Bolt pattern was still the same.
View Quote
Thanks! I will definitely farm out any cylinder work to a proper shop; that is beyond my current hillbilly engineering skill level. Hopefully the on-site spares and manual situation is satisfactory.

Regarding hydraulic hoses, would you recommend having them made by a shop, or spending the $500+ for a crimping tool?

Quoted:

I agree with the above.  If a person wants an all original type perfect restoration, things get really tricky.  If you just want a usable machine that mostly looks original, you have to get a little creative with piecing together old half wore out parts and having new stuff fabricated when necessary.

View Quote
The goal is, first and foremost, operable equipment. Ideally, it can be made to fit MSHA regulation should I acquire a suitable deposit and take it beyond the exploration and rehabilitation stage. I'd plan on selling rather than operating, though, so MSHA would not necessarily be involved.

An all-original restoration is not necessary at this time. Pieced-together and new-manufacture parts are 100% acceptable!
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks! I will definitely farm out any cylinder work to a proper shop; that is beyond my current hillbilly engineering skill level. Hopefully the on-site spares and manual situation is satisfactory.

Regarding hydraulic hoses, would you recommend having them made by a shop, or spending the $500+ for a crimping tool?

The goal is, first and foremost, operable equipment. Ideally, it can be made to fit MSHA regulation should I acquire a suitable deposit and take it beyond the exploration and rehabilitation stage. I'd plan on selling rather than operating, though, so MSHA would not necessarily be involved.

An all-original restoration is not necessary at this time. Pieced-together and new-manufacture parts are 100% acceptable!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have hydraulic hose presses... so I'm biased.

But probably just get them made at a shop.  Because there will be a lot of different fittings and not worth stocking everything.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have hydraulic hose presses... so I'm biased.

But probably just get them made at a shop.  Because there will be a lot of different fittings and not worth stocking everything.
View Quote
I would second this.  We have way more money tied up in our stocked fittings than we do in the crimper itself.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Bit biased, (I work at a steel foundry who's main business is making steel castings for mining equipment) but I would make sure all of the castings on the equipment are good.  ESPECIALLY any of them that are not a wear part.  If any of the non wear part castings need replaced the chances of them being available are probably pretty slim.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bit biased, (I work at a steel foundry who's main business is making steel castings for mining equipment) but I would make sure all of the castings on the equipment are good.  ESPECIALLY any of them that are not a wear part.  If any of the non wear part castings need replaced the chances of them being available are probably pretty slim.
View Quote
For sure! I think anything I'd be looking at has been out of production for at least twenty years, so non-wear parts of any variety are not going to be easy (if even possible) to find.

I'll probably upload a metric assload of photos here after I wrap up the on-site inspection, to see if anyone catches something I missed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Me running the 1948 T6 crawler. (I've lost about 110lbs since the picture.)

Runs like a champ. Has the same gas engine as the Farmall M at the time. So engine parts are pretty easy to find.

Problem I'm running into, on the old dozers are the clutches. There are some engineering firms that re-line clutch parts. I'll probably have to look into it.  The left foot clutch is shot. The left hand clutch you really, really have to pull on...

CAT equipment, you can find alot of cross over parts on if you're good at looking.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice!!! I think most LHDs in this size class are hydrostatic drive; hopefully that simplifies working on them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nice!!! I think most LHDs in this size class are hydrostatic drive; hopefully that simplifies working on them.
View Quote
You should be able to get the pumps rebuilt at least at a decent cost.

My next project I want to get, once I finish the TD9 crawler, is an old drag pan for the TD9.  That should be easy, all mechanical.

Then a Bucyrus Erie 10b or so cable shovels.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

CAT equipment, you can find alot of cross over parts on if you're good at looking.
View Quote
CAT also spun up a division at their Mapleton foundry that can make most obsolete castings.  They dropped a few million on binderjet 3D printers and can print sand molds to make the castings.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
CAT also spun up a division at their Mapleton foundry that can make most obsolete castings.  They dropped a few million on binderjet 3D printers and can print sand molds to make the castings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, so I kind of cheated.

My 1964 D4D and my 1961 D4B, I bought 100% restored at an auction from a guy my dad knew.

His family made a fortune between mining in the 50s-70s, as well as building i80 in areas. Then made millions off of oil and gas rights from the mining areas. He unfortunately passed away early from a heart attack.

But for the last 15 years of his life, all he did was restore his family's equipment - with all original CAT parts. I'm talking down to CAT stamped nuts and bolts, etc.

You can order most things from CAT, just might take months to a year to get.

He had completely restored CAT D9s, huge cat pans, a dozen restored cat D7s. Was restoring an original CAT 980.

The auction was sad an amazing.  I wish I would of bought one of the pans. But I couldn't even move it.  Way too big for my equipment. Let alone where would I put it. Or do anything with it.  Takes a football field to turn it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Are you guys buying these as a hobby or to used as they were intended?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are you guys buying these as a hobby or to used as they were intended?
View Quote
Mostly hobby.

The D6 and D4D get toyed around with doing dirt work on the farm.

The d4 7u and T6 go to antique equipment shows 1-2 times a year.  One year I'll drag them out to bowling Green Ohio, which is the home of the historical equipment association. (Which, OP, I'd recommend you look into. I'm a big sponsor of it.)

Edit

The 12 grader gets toyed with at the office. Plowing snow piles and such.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My 1964 D4D and my 1961 D4B, I bought 100% restored at an auction from a guy my dad knew.

His family made a fortune between mining in the 50s-70s, as well as building i80 in areas. Then made millions off of oil and gas rights from the mining areas. He unfortunately passed away early from a heart attack.

But for the last 15 years of his life, all he did was restore his family's equipment - with all original CAT parts. I'm talking down to CAT stamped nuts and bolts, etc.

He had completely restored CAT D9s, huge cat pans, a dozen restored cat D7s. Was restoring an original CAT 980.

The auction was sad an amazing.  I wish I would of bought one of the pans. But I couldn't even move it.  Way too big for my equipment. Let alone where would I put it. Or do anything with it.  Takes a football field to turn it.
View Quote
That is cheating

Sounds like he did some awesome work!  You don't see too many guys restoring big stuff anymore.  It's an expensive hobby  I about fell out of my chair recently when I saw what restored Rumley Oil Pulls are selling for now.  Then you have Kory Anderson dropping 7 figures to build an all new Case 150 of which there are no original survivors...
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'll probably upload a metric assload of photos here after I wrap up the on-site inspection, to see if anyone catches something I missed.
View Quote
Look forward to seeing them!
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That is cheating

Sounds like he did some awesome work!  You don't see too many guys restoring big stuff anymore.  It's an expensive hobby  I about fell out of my chair recently when I saw what restored Rumley Oil Pulls are selling for now.  Then you have Kory Anderson dropping 7 figures to build an all new Case 150 of which there are no original survivors...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is cheating

Some people like boats.

Some people like planes.

Some people like cars.

Some idiots like me, enjoy antique equipment.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Some people like boats.

Some people like planes.

Some people like cars.

Some idiots like me, enjoy antique equipment.
View Quote
I can understand that.  Dad had a steam traction engine hobby, definitely a labor of love.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Waiting for picts.    Couple boxes of old equip manuals.

Lot of years underground mining.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 7:14:22 AM EDT
[#22]
In for the pictures. I'm also kinda curious as to how your gonna source torque converters? Most mining equipment had a hodgepodge of different components such as engines and drive hydraulic motors and pumps.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In for the pictures. I'm also kinda curious as to how your gonna source torque converters? Most mining equipment had a hodgepodge of different components such as engines and drive hydraulic motors and pumps.
View Quote
Ass-uming that I'm dealing with what I think I am, it should be hydrostatic drive, so no torque converter to deal with, but I'll have the transmission hydraulic system to worry about. Much of the equipment from that period used Deutz engines, for which parts and replacement engines are readily available. Will probably be an F3L912W or F4L912W, air-cooled and naturally aspirated.

This stuff may well be fairly low-hour; the mine was not operated for long.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ass-uming that I'm dealing with what I think I am, it should be hydrostatic drive, so no torque converter to deal with, but I'll have the transmission hydraulic system to worry about. Much of the equipment from that period used Deutz engines, for which parts and replacement engines are readily available. Will probably be an F3L912W or F4L912W, air-cooled and naturally aspirated.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deutz is really good for support. We run one for the chicken house generator and four Deutz tractors. I knew some of the odd ball stuff had detroits and Cat engines along with some oddball perkins and Wakashaws. I don't think I spelled that right.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#25]
As promised, photos!

Looks like a Le Roi Tractair; I presume the "125" in 125TA indicates 125 CFM flow.

Wagner HST1A...this is the big draw for me, but nearly the entire engine bay is missing.

There's a small pile of Deutz engines. Plus oil filters, cylinder heads, starters, old v-belts, and more in a semi trailer that was set up as a parts room.

Last but not least, a Young Buggy 5-ton haul truck. This one isn't missing much other than a single fuel line.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#26]
..and they're paying you how much to take these????

J/K...Good luck!

ETA:  If you procoeed.....Be sure to send us some project picks as things progress.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
..and they're paying you how much to take these????

J/K...Good luck!

ETA:  If you procoeed.....Be sure to send us some project picks as things progress.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure that the Young Buggy is salvageable. The company is still around, and still making the things! Without a loader, it's not very practical, but would be a good start.

I've reached out to the company that bought Wagner to see if they have any parts manuals available. I won't even bother making an offer on the HST1A if I can't get a manual. That breaks my heart, because a 1-yard LHD is exactly what I'm looking for. As-is, that Wagner isn't worth much more than scrap value.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I've run alot of those small loaders.

Yes that equipment is relatively low hours. Lol
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've run alot of those small loaders.

Yes that equipment is relatively low hours. Lol
View Quote
I've seen plenty of stuff in operating mines that isn't in much better shape.

Planning on making them an offer on the Young Buggy, the LHDs are too far gone. I'll find another LHD in good time. One of the owners also has some jacklegs that may be for sale.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Gardner Denver 83  or seecans

I'll check the box of manuals I have.

Was funny to me low hours, nice machine.  I have been told that all my life from bosses and mechanics.

And sometimes it would look very similar in shape as those.

Drill,blast,muck
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Not sure, I'm waiting to hear back. I've only worked (minimally) with MWS/Gardner Denver 83s. No experience with Seecans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top