Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/13/2019 3:36:34 PM EDT
Wanting to see would this work? What do you all think?

Link
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I sure as heck would do a better plumbing job.
That will screw with engine perf.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Ignorance on display.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like it would work right up to the end of your life.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell no
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#5]
OP manages to somehow survive running an engine in the house and burns it down with spilled gas instead
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hell no
View Quote
I would just build an outside secure (well as secure as possible) enclosure and run the cables inside or to a transfer switch.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]
For what purpose would that serve?

A huge maybe on an apartment complex in a bad neighborhood... You know, one of those where your life may be taken by a drive by anyway, and your living on the edge...

Other than that? Figure out how to secure it and keep it quiet.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For what purpose would that serve?

A huge maybe on an apartment complex in a bad neighborhood... You know, one of those where your life may be taken by a drive by anyway, and your living on the edge...

Other than that? Figure out how to secure it and keep it quiet.
View Quote
Are Canadian drive-bys a major issue now?

But the author of that page forgot to mention a critical detail of "why" you need outside air for the generator to suck on. Because if you don't, it will compete with YOU for oxygen.

Kind of a big deal.

And that guy is crazy, even with the Rube Goldberg exhaust set up. Wonder what will happen if the author installs a wood burner, gets a nice roaring fire going, then decides to re-fuel the generator.

Fire Marshal will probably be able to solve that one on his lunch break.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#9]
What's the worst that could happen?  What are the stakes?  Do you love your family enough to risk killing them?  Risk/reward?  cost/benefit?
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#10]
1.3) Totally inadequate testing. As of 2008-June-01, I've only tested my system one half hour, and that was a few days ago (i.e. in perfect conditions: the weather was warm and sunny, I was rested and calm, all of my equipment including the generator was brand new, etc.). I'll have to wait until the next serious winter power outage, to give it a real test.

1.4) I'm not a mechanical engineer. A mechanical engineer would have calculated expected pressures, gas flow rates and temperatures, researched appropriate materials, done a FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis) and made sure the equipment failed gracefully and safely, etc.

1.5) I'd rather not use it. We all laugh at an inventor who is afraid to use his own invention, but this is exactly the case here: I'm somewhat afraid of my "invention", and I won't use it unless there is a serious winter emergency (in the summer, of course, I'll put the generator outside).
View Quote
Taken straight from his own page.

Pass
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Uhhhhh, not just no, but HELL no
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.zombie-box.com/

ZombieBox is a portable, weatherproof, noise reducing enclosure for portable or standby generators, compressors, industrial equipment, pumps, vacuums, blowers, electronic, medical and laboratory equipment. Collapsible and weatherproof, it reduces noise by up to 5X or 99%, it increases the life cycle and efficiency of your equipment, and improves overall comfort and safety.

ZombieBox is the WORLD'S FIRST, and only, patented noise reducing portable noise control system. The unique universal design allows anyone with equipment the ability to reduce the noise intensity of portable generators and other machinery without inhibiting airflow or cooling requirements.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would just build an outside secure (well as secure as possible) enclosure and run the cables inside or to a transfer switch.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#16]
The complete guide to operating your generator inside your home or garage:

Don’t.

Just fucking don’t.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#17]
It can be done, but I would NEVER try it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#18]
It's possible. I work in an industry where running numerous diesel engines underground is commonplace and raises no questions.

Thing is, it requires serious ventilation to both exhaust CO and DPM, and supply fresh air. This is not something you attempt without CO meters and robust mechanical ventilation.

Is it worth it in a residential setting to provide electricity that the vast majority of people can live without? No.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I've seen indoor generators in commercial settings, but not that kind of generator or in a bathroom.

If it was my life on the line, I'd have the room designed and generator installed by a professional.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#20]
If properly engineered and with adequate safety monitors, his system will likely work.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If properly engineered and with adequate safety monitors, his system will likely work.
View Quote
"...Will likely work."

I'll pass on those odds.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Danger will Robinson
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Link
View Quote
Do you and your family want to leave behind cherry red corpses?  Because that is how you leave behind cherry red corpses.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#24]
We have a 20KW at work that is installed indoors.   A) the generator was DESIGNED to install/run indoors.   B) the exhaust pipes are sealed.    C) the township made us install 8 foot square air vents to ensure that the generator won't reduce the air pressure inside the building to cause an issue.   Since the building is over 300,000 square feet I seriously doubt that little engine could create a pressure differential sufficient to cause a problem but what do I know?   A house or apartment could be a different story.

When I was in the Marine Corps we had an exhaust system in our maintenance shop that allowed us to run engines indoors.    It as basically a vacuum system where you put the hose on the vehicles exhaust pipe and it sucked the exhaust out of the building.   It was no where near sealed and it reduced the exhaust smell significantly when we used it.

Interesting stuff.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Thinking out loud, I wonder if you could just rig some eye bolts near the top of the window outside of the house and use that to support a shelf that connected to the bottom of the window ledge. If it was strong enough to support the generator seems like that may work better? Not sure how much CO gas risk there would be from the cracked open window to bring power cords in though.

One plus (if it doesn't kill you) generator is hanging off a 2nd story window and is harder to steal.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't! Not worth it. Last hurricane that tore through central FL my department alone had 3 co death calls from people trying to run gennys in the house. One was a family of 6. Find another option to meet your needs. I run my genny more then 10 feet from the house. I took a very heavy chain. I filled a 5gal bucket full of cement and sunk one end of the chain down to the bottom let that dry. Then I buried the bucket in the ground a few feet. Leaving me about 3.5 ft of chain above ground (top of the bucket is about 2ft down) I leave the chain coiled and buried until I need it. Then I just dig a few inches, find it, pull it up and use that to secure my genny in the yard.

Don't fu*k with co!
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't! Not worth it. Last hurricane that tore through central FL my department alone had 3 co2 death calls from people trying to run gennys in the house. One was a family of 6. Find another option to meet your needs. I run my genny more then 10 feet from the house. I took a very heavy chain. I filled a 5gal bucket full of cement and sunk one end of the chain down to the bottom let that dry. Then I buried the bucket in the ground a few feet. Leaving me about 3.5 ft of chain above ground (top of the bucket is about 2ft down) I leave the chain coiled and buried until I need it. Then I just dig a few inches, find it, pull it up and use that to secure my genny in the yard.

Don't fu*k with co2!
View Quote
Or CO either!

Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:16:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

"...Will likely work."

I'll pass on those odds.
View Quote
Most of the scardy cats prolly couldn't repair an extension cord.

Perfectly understandable.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:24:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Beach, Florida man killed.by CO from generator
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 1:27:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Yeah.

My dad died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

He had rigged up some janky shit like that.

I’ve been in buildings with proper generators in them. The amount of ventilation and number of CO detectors was amazing.

That is the dumbest idea I’ve seen all day.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Link
View Quote
Just don't.

That's fucking retarded.  Rube Goldberg bullshit when a longer cord is the damned answer.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#32]
There was a very wealthy lady in the metro area that died along with her maid from CO poisoning caused by running a generator indoors.

Besides CO dangers, gasoline generators can catch fire.  My Dad had two generators, and he used to run them for 30 minutes each month.  He was running one of the generators two years ago when somehow the gas leaked and caught the generator on fire.  Which then caught the other fully fueled generator on fire.  He ended up losing both generators, 30 feet of privacy fence, and $5000 worth of pool filter, pump, electrical lines and PVC pipe.  Fortunately, the generators were far enough away from the house so that it didn't catch the house on fire.

The best defense against generator theft is to make people want to steal your neighbor's unsecured generator instead of your's.  Right now, the anchor point (a heavy duty wooden log playhouse/swingset) for my generator is about to be torn down.  After its torn down, i'm going to dig a 3 foot hole in the ground where we run the generator.  I'll then bend a six foot piece of rebar into a hairpin shape, put it in the hole with a couple of inches sticking out and then fill the hole with concrete.   A six inch sprinkler valve box will cover the anchor point when not in use.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There was a very wealthy lady in the metro area that died along with her maid from CO poisoning caused by running a generator indoors.

Besides CO dangers, gasoline generators can catch fire.  My Dad had two generators, and he used to run them for 30 minutes each month.  He was running one of the generators two years ago when somehow the gas leaked and caught the generator on fire.  Which then caught the other fully fueled generator on fire.  He ended up losing both generators, 30 feet of privacy fence, and $5000 worth of pool filter, pump, electrical lines and PVC pipe.  Fortunately, the generators were far enough away from the house so that it didn't catch the house on fire.

The best defense against generator theft is to make people want to steal your neighbor's unsecured generator instead of your's.  Right now, the anchor point (a heavy duty wooden log playhouse/swingset) for my generator is about to be torn down.  After its torn down, i'm going to dig a 3 foot hole in the ground where we run the generator.  I'll then bend a six foot piece of rebar into a hairpin shape, put it in the hole with a couple of inches sticking out and then fill the hole with concrete.   A six inch sprinkler valve box will cover the anchor point when not in use.
View Quote
Why not recess it into the ground a few inches so no one trips on it and gets hurt?

What sort of equivalently strong anchor point will you have on your genny that you secure to the rebar?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why not recess it into the ground a few inches so no one trips on it and gets hurt?

What sort of equivalently strong anchor point will you have on your genny that you secure to the rebar?
View Quote
Only a scardy cat worries about getting hurt right?

Seriously OP, don't even think about running a generator indoors. Yes it's possible to do it right but the history of post disaster indoor generator running has demonstrated that your odds of dying increases exponentially if you run it indoors. Just don't do it. There have been plenty of ideas posted here so far on how to secure a generator from theft. Use one of them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Or CO either!

View Quote
Lol... don't post sleepy..
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Only a scardy cat worries about getting hurt right?

Seriously OP, don't even think about running a generator indoors. Yes it's possible to do it right but the history of post disaster indoor generator running has demonstrated that your odds of dying increases exponentially if you run it indoors. Just don't do it. There have been plenty of ideas posted here so far on how to secure a generator from theft. Use one of them.
View Quote
I know nothing about that and I thought the guy sounded a little crazy. I heard all the how to keep from theft but none will work were I'm at chain will not work when every other house that has a truck have bolt cutters or welding gear on it.

I live in a oil boom town! Oil companies rent the townhomes they don't know who the people are that live in them and it changes every 3 to 6 months.

These oil workers are so cheap a such SOB's they have stolen in the year I have lives here one cheap $99 grill and several propane tanks. I can only keep watch for so long.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I know nothing about that and I thought the guy sounded a little crazy. I heard all the how to keep from theft but none will work were I'm at chain will not work when every other house that has a truck have bolt cutters or welding gear on it.

I live in a oil boom town! Oil companies rent the townhomes they don't know who the people are that live in them and it changes every 3 to 6 months.

These oil workers are so cheap a such SOB's they have stolen in the year I have lives here one cheap $99 grill and several propane tanks. I can only keep watch for so long.
View Quote
Thinking out loud:  If you have dogs then chain them to the generator.   You would have to be willing to shoot the dog to consider trying to steal the generator.  Plus the dog will likely make noise any time someone gets close.    When the dog makes noise, you would need to make sure that everyone sees you investigate and see that you are armed doing so.

If that is not acceptable then if your electricity usage is as you described before then you only need to run a genset for 30-60 minutes while you recharge your batteries.   You CAN watch for that long and the dogs can still help.   As soon as your batteries are charged, shut the generator down and carry it back into the house.    That is the nice thing about the Honda EU2K series.   They weigh about as much as the battery so you will be balanced carrying both at the same time.   :)
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
https://www.zombie-box.com/

ZombieBox is a portable, weatherproof, noise reducing enclosure for portable or standby generators, compressors, industrial equipment, pumps, vacuums, blowers, electronic, medical and laboratory equipment. Collapsible and weatherproof, it reduces noise by up to 5X or 99%, it increases the life cycle and efficiency of your equipment, and improves overall comfort and safety.

ZombieBox is the WORLD'S FIRST, and only, patented noise reducing portable noise control system. The unique universal design allows anyone with equipment the ability to reduce the noise intensity of portable generators and other machinery without inhibiting airflow or cooling requirements.  
View Quote
Yea... Not for 2G's. My generator only cost $900.00
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then move. Better than killing yourself or your family.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Easier said than done! Not going to throw away a federal job because I can't have a generator at my townhome! Throwing away an $80k job for a $30k job in civilian world! Tell me could you afford or even think of giving up half the money you make per year so you could own one generator? Or would you look for another way to make it work?

You must never have lived in an oil boom town where your $500 one bedroom apartment is now $1000! Easy to say move but WHO will pay for this move? Is paying $2000+ for a move worth leaving a job that pays 50%- less than where I'm at? Can't deduct it on taxes can I now?

So take a 50%+ pay cut and have to pay $2,000+ out of pocket to move someplace else and take the chance my spouse might find a job? Right there that's another $50k if my spouse can't find a job.

We are happy here just can't do a generator right now not only do we have fear of it being stolen but also we have no place to store gas or propane and I do not want to keep that in my house with my family!

Would you be willing to keep 20+ gallons of gas in your house where your family sleeps? That is even if I move to some other place I will have to rent and most places to rent don't have a place to run a generator without the fear of theft and store gas in an outdoor area or where you don't have to worry about it.

An old saying I can $hit in one hand and hope in the next and we will see what hand fills first! I'm dealing with the cards that are dealt to me in my life right now!
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 6:36:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

We are happy here just can't do a generator right now not only do we have fear of it being stolen but also we have no place to store gas or propane and I do not want to keep that in my house with my family!
View Quote
As I said before, can own, run, and benefit from a generator without storing extra gas or propane at your house.    You just cannot do it as conveniently as some of the other people on this forum.   Without knowing more about your environment, access to offsite storage, access to friends, etc I cannot offer any better advice.

You appeared to come into these threads with your heart set on solar.   So do solar.    Accept the limitations and make it work the best for you that you can.

Let us know what you decide to do.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Extended his exhaust system is easy and reliable.
Fire is the biggest issue, not exhaust gases.

I personally know an decent PE who burned his house down with a garage refueling.
He was burned pretty good
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 8:38:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Extended his exhaust system is easy and reliable.
Fire is the biggest issue, not exhaust gases.

I personally know an decent PE who burned his house down with a garage refueling.
He was burned pretty good
View Quote
Exactly.

The exhaust gases can be dealt with technically, fairly easily with intelligence and good engineering.

The fire hazard from gasoline in-house is a big issue.

Maybe consider running from an external regulated and restricted/limited propane source to considerably reduce the fire hazard.

Running on propane would reduce the CO emissions as well.

Consider the BTU's of propane burned by a small genny to the same from a non-vented gas stove and oven, operated indoors.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's what I was planning on doing.  It will be below ground, so I don't hit it with the lawnmower.  The sprinkler valve box will also keep people from popping an ankle stepping in the hole.

The frame of my generator is welded.  I run the cable through the frame.  Unless the thugs have a battery operated cut off wheel, they aren't going to get it.  They'll most likely look for someone who doesn't have their generator secured, like my next door neighbor.

The generator is also a big, heavy son of a gun.  It will take two of them to lift it, and they'll have to demolish the fence to get it out.  Again, the plan is to make it too much work for them to steal, so they will move on to easier pickings.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Easier said than done! Not going to throw away a federal job because I can't have a generator at my townhome! Throwing away an $80k job for a $30k job in civilian world! Tell me could you afford or even think of giving up half the money you make per year so you could own one generator? Or would you look for another way to make it work?

You must never have lived in an oil boom town where your $500 one bedroom apartment is now $1000! Easy to say move but WHO will pay for this move? Is paying $2000+ for a move worth leaving a job that pays 50%- less than where I'm at? Can't deduct it on taxes can I now?

So take a 50%+ pay cut and have to pay $2,000+ out of pocket to move someplace else and take the chance my spouse might find a job? Right there that's another $50k if my spouse can't find a job.

Would you be willing to keep 20+ gallons of gas in your house where your family sleeps? That is even if I move to some other place I will have to rent and most places to rent don't have a place to run a generator without the fear of theft and store gas in an outdoor area or where you don't have to worry about it.

An old saying I can $hit in one hand and hope in the next and we will see what hand fills first! I'm dealing with the cards that are dealt to me in my life right now!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/16/2019 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
So you can't have a generator due to fears of theft and fuel storage. Ok. You aren't unique in that issue. But, why ask about generators then?
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So you can't have a generator due to fears of theft and fuel storage. Ok. You aren't unique in that issue. But, why ask about generators then?
View Quote
he has done this for years, ask for information about things he wont/cant change.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

he has done this for years, ask for information about things he wont/cant change.
View Quote
Well in his defense, he started asking about solar in another thread but multiple people (including myself) said that a generator was a better option.   Since then he has provided small and dispersed details about specific challenges to having a generator in his environment.   Unfortunately these details are spread between multiple threads.   Personally I think that it would be better to have continued the same thread but the topic has shifted as time has gone on so it may have been better to contain each topic shift in its own thread.

With the information that I have I think that he is better off with a generator.   He just needs to decide how he wants to source fuel for them and how he is going to prevent them from being stolen.   My $0.02.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#49]
You would be better served rigging up a car muffler to the exhaust and enclosing the genny in an enclosure with the exhaust pointed straight up.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Many years ago another crew was powerwashing something just outside the large work bay.  Garage door ooen all the way.  It didnt take more than two minutes before I had a splitting headache from the CO.  I was probably 60 feet away, and the bay had a high ceiling.

I did run a gas engine inside once after that, for 15 seconds.

Something longer term like a generator? Outside.  Put a piece of plywood on top if it is pouring rain.  Or a tarp on some sawhorses.  Not inside.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top