Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2018 11:33:47 PM EDT
While out fishing today, I was running my modest radio, a Garmin 5” plotter/FF, and a new Minn Kota 55LB trolling motor. When I set the TM to full speed it caused my Garmin to display a low voltage message, voltage below 10.7 volts. When I set the TM to a speed that was one step lower than full, the alarm would go away. This happened right when I got on the water. My boat is configured with a starting batt which only runs the engine and a house batt that runs all else (including electronics, lights, radio, trolling motor, etc.). I just tested the voltage on the house batt and it reads 12.59/12.6. This is 5 hours after getting off the water. I have a 17’ length of 4 gauge cable running to the TM, so that should be fine. Battery is a Walmart Everstart G29 battery that is 3 yrs old but has been maintained. Fluid is levels are good and I have used a battery minder charger on it.

Hoping one of our resident guru’s can tell me how I should go about chasing down this gremlin... my first inclination is to buy a new battery but if possible I’d like to know how to determine what the cause is before spending the money.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Putting a large load on the battery is going to pull down its voltage. If you want to get technical its called internal resistance of the battery but is technically the rate at which it can chemically produce current. If it didn't happen prior its probably just the battery showing its age or possibly it wasn't completely charged. I don't think its anything to be alarmed about.

Maybe use a marine battery to run your trolling motor. Your standard car batteries don't have a whole heck of alot of capacity and are mainly built to produce enough high current for short durations to start your engine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Putting a large load on the battery is going to pull down its voltage. If you want to get technical its called internal resistance of the battery but is technically the rate at which it can chemically produce current. If it didn't happen prior its probably just the battery showing its age or possibly it wasn't completely charged. I don't think its anything to be alarmed about.

Maybe use a marine battery to run your trolling motor. Your standard car batteries don't have a whole heck of alot of capacity and are mainly built to produce enough high current for short durations to start your engine.
View Quote
Thank you for the info. The house battery is a group 29 deep cycle. It’s one of the Walmart ever star batteries, dated 2015.

I just called minn Kota. They said the trolling motor should have its own dedicated battery. Right now my trolling motor runs off the house battery which also runs a modest radio, lights, pumps, etc. The other battery is the starting battery which only runs the engine. There is only two batteries in the boat. It is a small 16’ flats boat.

So should I (a) add a third battery and dedicate one to the trolling motor, (b) keep things as they are or (c) move some/all devices to the the starting battery and leave the second deep cycle all or mostly dedicated to the trolling motor? I am reluctant to add devices to the starting battery for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The GPS uses almost no battery, you can run it off your starter battery, or even a small 12v UPS battery and it will be fine. The voltage of the trolling motor battery dropping under load is pretty normal...

Amazon Product
  • Genuine ExpertPower Battery - The Most Trusted And Highest Reviewed Sealed Lead Acid Batteries On Amazon
  • Battery Type - 12 Volt 5 Amp/20 Hour Sealed Lead Acid Battery With F1 Terminals.
  • Compatibility - Perfect Fit For A Wide Variety Of Applications Including Home Alarms, Electric Scooters, Ion Block Rockers, UPS Systems, and Much More.

Eta: is the everstart g29 a marine deep cycle?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The GPS uses almost no battery, you can run it off your starter battery, or even a small 12v UPS battery and it will be fine. The voltage of the trolling motor battery dropping under load is pretty normal...

www.amazon.com/dp/B0010Z4MDKEta: is the everstart g29 a marine deep cycle?
View Quote
Yes, it is a group 29 marine battery. Maybe I should just change it to run off the starting battery... I could also slide a small battery (like the one pictured) into one of the existing battery box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top