Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2021 8:55:19 PM EDT
Feeling burnt out on listening to the local net, I downloaded Echolink this evening.

I have the program running as it should, but I'm curious as to how one goes about making contacts.

Is it normal to just que up a repeater in Austrailia, and start gabbing it up?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see why not. IDK about other countries though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Just get on there, give your call sign and say "This is America calling, any of you wankers listening?"
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Assumed it would be okay, might be feeling a little weird about it because it doesn’t feel like actual radio, since I’m just using a laptop over the internet. Only had tech ticket for a year, still figuring out what I want to get out of radio as a hobby. Local repeaters are not my cup of tea, neither is talking basically over the internet.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Assumed it would be okay, might be feeling a little weird about it because it doesn’t feel like actual radio, since I’m just using a laptop over the internet. Only had tech ticket for a year, still figuring out what I want to get out of radio as a hobby. Local repeaters are not my cup of tea, neither is talking basically over the internet.
View Quote

Upgrade to general and get on HF.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I would just say, "this is callsign from nowhere USA via EchoLink" and see what you get.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah man upgrade to general, I got tested for tech and general at the same time and idk if I would be as into the hobby if I had only got tech. Theres a lot you can do with a radio, power supply, coax and wire. I've got echolink on my phone and I personally don't care for it much.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I've gone on a couple repeaters using EchoLink. It is very strange/awkward. I don't know why. It really isn't any different than calling CQ on HF. I guess cause repeaters while not supposed to be kinda end up territorial.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#8]
One of the local UHF repeater owners linked to echolink. Surprising the traffic from all over, I think he's verry happy with that. Build it (link it) and they will come.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I have talked to people in other countries by using a local echolink repeater, dialing into a foreign repeater and just saying

"Callsign from the USA listening on your repeater, good morning / afternoon"

Helps to get the time of day correct.

Have also done it across the country to talk to people I know.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've gone on a couple repeaters using EchoLink. It is very strange/awkward. I don't know why. It really isn't any different than calling CQ on HF. I guess cause repeaters while not supposed to be kinda end up territorial.
View Quote

I always thought it seemed awkward too, not exactly sure why....its not a lot different than hopping on a random WIRES-X room, which I do occasionally.

Friend of mine that owned a repeater had it hooked to Echolink.  I'd use that to talk to my local buddies if I was out of state sometimes, other than that, I haven't used it a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top