Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2018 5:05:01 PM EDT
What do you guys recommend for blocking, re-channeling, or cleaning up EMF pollution for a home?  We're close to some power lines, and I would like to protect the home.  Ancillary benefits would be cleaning up appliance pollution.

I've researched earthcalm - seems to be a conversion kit, Vivobase as a blocker, Stetzerizer filters, MemonizerCOMBI, Brimhall...

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What do you guys recommend for blocking, re-channeling, or cleaning up EMF pollution for a home?  We're close to some power lines, and I would like to protect the home.  Ancillary benefits would be cleaning up appliance pollution.

I've researched earthcalm - seems to be a conversion kit, Vivobase as a blocker, Stetzerizer filters, MemonizerCOMBI, Brimhall...

What do you guys think?
View Quote
Might look into main electrical entrance surge protectors and RFI filters, and remove any external antennas.

Remove all cell phones, transmitting equipment, and microwaves, from inside the house if it uses insulation with a metal foil backing.

All RF signals ordinarily entering the house by wire and coax, should be converted to optical prior and enter/leave the house via fiber.

Eliminate phone land line if is there is one.

Convert all appliances using more than 100 watts, average, to manual operation, and not to exceed 100 watts consumption, per device. Converted devices should be limited to 50 watts peak.

If your power meter uses RFID for remote reading, isolate it with metal foil, on surfaces between it and your living space, extending in a plane at least 6 feet radius from the meter, parallel to the house. Distance from house surface isn't important and can be on the actual surface or under the siding.

Install an emergency main electrical EMP disconnect, that will isolate you from the grid shortly after an event and/or nearby lightning strikes.

Remove RF 433 MHz based remote door openers and replace with coded optical controls.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:01:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What do you guys think?
View Quote
As an EE, I think that worrying about EMF "pollution" in your home ranks right up there with worrying about climate change on Mars.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As an EE, I think that worrying about EMF "pollution" in your home ranks right up there with worrying about climate change on Mars.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you guys think?
So you don’t subscribe to its negative effects for kids especially? We have one of those larger towers on a greenbelt next to our home, for more context
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Might look into main electrical entrance surge protectors and RFI filters, and remove any external antennas.

Remove all cell phones, transmitting equipment, and microwaves, from inside the house if it uses insulation with a metal foil backing.

All RF signals ordinarily entering the house by wire and coax, should be converted to optical prior and enter/leave the house via fiber.

Convert all appliances using more than 100 watts, average, to manual operation, and not to exceed 100 watts consumption, per device. Converted devices should be limited to 50 watts peak.

If your power meter uses RFID for remote reading, isolate it with metal foil, on surfaces between it and your living space, extending in a plane at least 6 feet radius from the meter, parallel to the house. Distance from house surface isn't important and can be on the actual surface or under the siding.

Install an emergency main electrical EMP disconnect, that will isolate you from the grid shortly after an event and/or nearby lightning strikes.

Remove RF 433 MHz based remote door openers and replace with coded optical controls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you guys think?

Can you detail the whys for your direction? Looking for education as an ancillary benefit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think Chuck from Breaking Bad is the OP.  I just repair printers in the basement, but I have been doing it for a long time. 

If you really think electro motive force is a danger, go out side and pull that meter off the panel and throw it out in to the street. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Used to come standard on old houses.

Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Being no expert, but wouldn't grounded steel roofing and siding effectively shield you? Of course that doesn't stop what you have in your house, but its the outside elements that you can't control.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree all the evidence is showing EMF is bad for you but outside of going primitive I don't see how we can get rid of it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I agree all the evidence is showing EMF is bad for you but outside of going primitive I don't see how we can get rid of it.
View Quote
I'm doing things such as

a wired LAN network so we don't need wifi in the house.
Cell phones are put on airplane mode or shut off at night, along with other small wireless devices.
Routing the main bulk of electrical wires under the hallway instead of under the bedrooms (easier method) in the basement.
Installing main service panels away from sleeping areas.
Modern appliances (smaller compressor motors). Also keeping all appliances away from sleeping areas.

Its not perfect, but its what I can do.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the feedback so far.  It's interesting to see the polarity of opinions on EMFs...some say relatively harmless and some say they cause cancer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure about cancer but it does effect mitochondria in negatives ways and I definitely don't need any more mutated genes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#12]
High EMFs cause insomnia for my youngest.

Anecdotal, but turning off wifi, cell phones,etc., and he is sleeping MUCH better.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#13]
You could move here :

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think Chuck from Breaking Bad is the OP.  I just repair printers in the basement, but I have been doing it for a long time.

If you really think electro motive force is a danger, go out side and pull that meter off the panel and throw it out in to the street.
View Quote
AH, you mean Better Call Saul, took me a minute to figure it out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#15]
A little like worrying about chlorinated water.  Benefits > risks.

We won't live long enough for it to matter.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Not on my list of things to worry about
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Another concern may be re-radiation from ATOMIC clocks...

Isolation by distance or elimination...
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Anecdotal, but turning off wifi, cell phones,etc., and he is sleeping MUCH better.
View Quote
Just switch to 5GHz...it is much higher frequency that they can't hear....
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't pretend to know how or why, but turning stuff off we went from him up all night 3-4 times per week to maybe once a month and only for an hour or so instead on 4-6.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A little like worrying about chlorinated water.  Benefits > risks.

We won't live long enough for it to matter.
View Quote
I filter it out before drinking ...
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Context, again, are HV power lines... not leaving a cell phone on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 1:12:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm also an EE and I can tell you with certainly that your Vivobase product is complete nonsense.  There is no way a device like that can "block" an EM field.

These people may have stumbled on the perfect product.  It does nothing, so it can never be broken.  No need for a warranty.  Never a customer return because it stopped working.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 1:29:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I went and looked up the rest of your EMF protection gadgets.  To a device, with perhaps the exception of the Stetzerizer filter (which I'll come back to) each and every one is utter horseshit.  And expensive horseshit at that.

There is no way that a device such as these can at a single point even in theory cancel out the random and arbitrary EM fields present in your home.  The EM fields present in your home will have multiple complex overlapping 3D geometries.  The shape and intensity of these fields can not be derived from a measurement at a a single point in space.  The physics simply does not allow what they are claiming.  And if you could actually generate a 3D map of these overlapping fields, no single point RF transmitter could generate the complex fields required to cancel them out.  Finally, even if it were physically possible (which again, it definitely is not) the FCC would not allow the sale of such an actual working device since it would be a powerful wideband RF transmitter in it's own right.

I would suggest that these companies should be prevented from selling such devices, but I'm a firm believe that the foolish should be parted from their money.

The Stetzerizer filter might actually be a filter for all I know.  It is possible to filter out AC harmonics above 60Hz and any EMI generated from things like switched mode power supplies.  But, it'll do nothing for external EM fields penetrating your home from power lines, radio transmitters, and the sun for that matter.  Likewise, it will not in any way affect any fields generated internally in your home from cell phones, electronics, motors, WiFi routers, etc.  Compared to these sorts of sources, any EMI riding in from the power utility will typically be minor.

If EM fields concern you, I would suggest wrapping your home in conductive foil, disconnecting your utility service, tossing your smart phone, and for goodness sakes step away from that computer you're tying on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I went and looked up the rest of your EMF protection gadgets.  To a device, with perhaps the exception of the Stetzerizer filter (which I'll come back to) each and every one is utter horseshit.  And expensive horseshit at that.

There is no way that a device such as these can at a single point even in theory cancel out the random and arbitrary EM fields present in your home.  The EM fields present in your home will have multiple complex overlapping 3D geometries.  The shape and intensity of these fields can not be derived from a measurement at a a single point in space.  The physics simply does not allow what they are claiming.  And if you could actually generate a 3D map of these overlapping fields, no single point RF transmitter could generate the complex fields required to cancel them out.  Finally, even if it were physically possible (which again, it definitely is not) the FCC would not allow the sale of such an actual working device since it would be a powerful wideband RF transmitter in it's own right.

I would suggest that these companies should be prevented from selling such devices, but I'm a firm believe that the foolish should be parted from their money.

The Stetzerizer filter might actually be a filter for all I know.  It is possible to filter out AC harmonics above 60Hz and any EMI generated from things like switched mode power supplies.  But, it'll do nothing for external EM fields penetrating your home from power lines, radio transmitters, and the sun for that matter.  Likewise, it will not in any way affect any fields generated internally in your home from cell phones, electronics, motors, WiFi routers, etc.  Compared to these sorts of sources, any EMI riding in from the power utility will typically be minor.

If EM fields concern you, I would suggest wrapping your home in conductive foil, disconnecting your utility service, tossing your smart phone, and for goodness sakes step away from that computer you're tying on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you feel the folks that end up sleeping better are mistaken or a placebo effect?
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Do you feel the folks that end up sleeping better are mistaken or a placebo effect?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no feelings about that one way or the other.  I'm only telling you that as an degreed electrical engineer with decades of hardware design, that those devices can not possibly do what they claim to do.

You asked. I gave you my professional opinion.  Spend your money as you see fit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have no feelings about that one way or the other.  I'm only telling you that as an degreed electrical engineer with decades of hardware design, that those devices can not possibly do what they claim to do.

You asked. I gave you my professional opinion.  Spend your money as you see fit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're saying not a concern like those in the "causes cancer" camp.  I'm particular worried more about the kiddos
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So you're saying not a concern like those in the "causes cancer" camp.  I'm particular worried more about the kiddos
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm an engineer, not a biologists nor a doctor.  Whether I am concerned or not about EM fields causing cancer is quite beside the point.  I'm just telling you that these expensive devices that claim to protect you from ambient EM fields can not possibly do what they claim to do.

Use some logic.  One of these companies is selling a product that you put on your WiFi router to protect you from its EM emission.  Think about that for a moment .... if it worked your WiFi router would not.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Dude, I'm an EE too. The only way to protect yourself from electromagnetic radiation is to turn your house into a Faraday cage. If properly done it may cost half the value of the house or even more. You can turn one room into a Faraday Cage by properly covering all walls, ceiling and the floor with conductive material. The door should also be made of or covered by a conductive material. All gaps must be sealed with special conductive mesh gaskets. All incoming power, communication, control wiring should be RF decoupled as well. This won't completely eliminate EM radiation but will  attenuate (reduce) it to a low level.
I seriously doubt that a nearby cellphone tower puts out enough radiation to cause any health issues unless you have a Doppler Weather radar next to it, or a TV broadcast tower. Most communication towers radiate very little power compared to a radar or a TV broadcast systems.
Major power lines in very close proximity to your house may cause undesirable health effects but it depends on distance and power carrying capacity. I would never buy a house located near any high voltage power lines because I'm a ham radio operator. Power lines can radiate a lot of interference, harmful to radio communications.
BTW, people have been exposed to EM radiation long before radio waves or electricity were discovered. A thunderstorm puts out lots of EM radiation. The Sun radiates a lot of RF energy in a wide spectrum of frequencies. I seriously doubt you can be sensitive to RF radiation from a wireless router unless you strap it to your head permanently. Yes, electromagnetic radiation can harm a human body when it exceeds a certain level. Eyes are more sensitive than other body parts. Safe exposure levels have been established long time ago. Read about it on the Internet.
PLEASE don't waste money on "miracle" gismos that protect you from radiation. If they really did, you would not be able to use your phone or have any radio reception near the device. Some of the sellers even pay doctors to "confirm" the device's ability to "block" RF radiation. Some doctors will do anything for money. Some people will believe anything.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:30:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dude, I'm an EE too. The only way to protect yourself from electromagnetic radiation is to turn your house into a Faraday cage. If properly done it may cost half the value of the house or even more. You can turn one room into a Faraday Cage by properly covering all walls, ceiling and the floor with conductive material. The door should also be made of or covered by a conductive material. All gaps must be sealed with special conductive mesh gaskets. All incoming power, communication, control wiring should be RF decoupled as well. This won't completely eliminate EM radiation but will  attenuate (reduce) it to a low level.
I seriously doubt that a nearby cellphone tower puts out enough radiation to cause any health issues unless you have a Doppler Weather radar next to it, or a TV broadcast tower. Most communication towers radiate very little power compared to a radar or a TV broadcast systems.
Major power lines in very close proximity to your house may cause undesirable health effects but it depends on distance and power carrying capacity. I would never buy a house located near any high voltage power lines because I'm a ham radio operator. Power lines can radiate a lot of interference, harmful to radio communications.
BTW, people have been exposed to EM radiation long before radio waves or electricity were discovered. A thunderstorm puts out lots of EM radiation. The Sun radiates a lot of RF energy in a wide spectrum of frequencies. I seriously doubt you can be sensitive to RF radiation from a wireless router unless you strap it to your head permanently. Yes, electromagnetic radiation can harm a human body when it exceeds a certain level. Eyes are more sensitive than other body parts. Safe exposure levels have been established long time ago. Read about it on the Internet.
PLEASE don't waste money on "miracle" gismos that protect you from radiation. If they really did, you would not be able to use your phone or have any radio reception near the device. Some of the sellers even pay doctors to "confirm" the device's ability to "block" RF radiation. Some doctors will do anything for money. Some people will believe anything.
View Quote
Very helpful.  the lines near us are the larger grey HV lines.  My MiL used a meter to measure our home and it read as maxed on the side of my home near the lines.  hence the thread kickoff and worry about the kids
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#30]
I used to discount it too. Then my ego was exceeded by my knowledge.

Eliminating is not financially possible for most, but you can reduce it.

Attic insulation using reflective foil. Run the sheets to cover the floor, then use conductive adhesive copper or aluminium tape to connect.

Metal anywhere between you and the source. Like aluminium foil on the inside of Sheetrock panels for your walls. Grounding as much as possible.

Ferrite snap on cores on electrical and cable lines. Alluminium window screens, not fiberglass. Don't go for the emf fabrics, too expensive.

Cat 5 cable, no wi-fi.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#31]
how to survive EMF:
1) buy the largest, safest car you can afford.
2) eat a balanced, nutritious diet low in salt, low in sugars, low in fat, and low in cholesterol.
3) exercise regularly, at least 150 minutes per week.
4) quit smoking, avoid excess alcohol, and maintain a healthy weight.
5) don't commit suicide.

the above takes care of the most common causes of death, so that you can concentrate on surviving EMF.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I used to discount it too. Then my ego was exceeded by my knowledge.

Eliminating is not financially possible for most, but you can reduce it.

Attic insulation using reflective foil. Run the sheets to cover the floor, then use conductive adhesive copper or aluminium tape to connect.

Metal anywhere between you and the source. Like aluminium foil on the inside of Sheetrock panels for your walls. Grounding as much as possible.

Ferrite snap on cores on electrical and cable lines. Alluminium window screens, not fiberglass. Don't go for the emf fabrics, too expensive.

Cat 5 cable, no wi-fi.
View Quote
Could the Op maybe construct a foil suit or helmet or such to mitigate the thing he is trying to shield from? Might be cheaper than wrapping your home in aluminum foil. Of course if you have neighbors you might draw attention to yourself so you probably better not go outside with the suit and helmet thing on. Just trying to be helpful.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Could the Op maybe construct a foil suit or helmet or such to mitigate the thing he is trying to shield from? Might be cheaper than wrapping your home in aluminum foil. Of course if you have neighbors you might draw attention to yourself so you probably better not go outside with the suit and helmet thing on. Just trying to be helpful.
View Quote
I would caution not wearing a conductive garment -unless two protective resistance wires of at least 43.5 kilo-ohms each, connect it to a nearby water pipe, a grounded electrical outlet, or circuit connected to a ground rod.

An ordinary electrical plug can be modified to quickly connect to grounds all over a house.

PLEASE be careful and use common sense when putting conductive materials on your body to protect from EMF fields.

PLEASE don't drop your grounding wires into a bathtub, sink or toilet.

PLEASE go inside during lightning storms.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd just move.  An old colleague lived under FPL wires (big towers) here in Miami and his brother worked for FPL.

That was his advice, if you're worried about it.

Don't buy next to crack heads, don't buy under high voltage power lines and don't buy down wind of a dump, or hog farm.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

how to survive EMF:
2) eat a balanced, nutritious diet low in salt, low in sugars, low in fat, and low in cholesterol.
5) don't commit suicide.

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:

how to survive EMF:
5) don't commit suicide.

ar-jedi
Part one makes sense.
Can I still wear my tinfoil hat?

Quoted:

Don't buy next to crack heads, don't buy under high voltage power lines and don't buy down wind of a dump, or hog farm.

Chris
Part two also makes sense!

And don't forget your tinfoil hat!
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'd just move.  An old colleague lived under FPL wires (big towers) here in Miami and his brother worked for FPL.

That was his advice, if you're worried about it.

Chris
View Quote
Need more equity in the home to make sense for a move
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 3:16:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Living next to transmission power lines can mean a lot of things. Do you hear the lines? How many KV do they carry? how many lines are there? Have you metered the lines at different distances?

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Trifield-100XE-EMF-Meter/dp/B00050WQ1G

We had our towers updated about 8yrs ago. I found out some "truths" about what was going on. The old tower close to us (85yds) was removed and replaced with a taller tower carrying more wires. In actuality it is much less miliguass than before. The old was three wires carrying 44kv. We could hear it early in the morning fighting off the dew or when summertime draw was high. The new tower carries 12 wires (six pair) of 22kv and it must be shielded. No noise at all. My meter reads under 3mg when directly underneath the tower/lines. The old tower hit 8mg when directly under it. Our house reads more inside than  out. Those are hard facts. The screen I'm staring at is putting off about 3mg.

WSS
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Living next to transmission power lines can mean a lot of things. Do you hear the lines? How many KV do they carry? how many lines are there? Have you metered the lines at different distances?

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Trifield-100XE-EMF-Meter/dp/B00050WQ1G

We had our towers updated about 8yrs ago. I found out some "truths" about what was going on. The old tower close to us (85yds) was removed and replaced with a taller tower carrying more wires. In actuality it is much less miliguass than before. The old was three wires carrying 44kv. We could hear it early in the morning fighting off the dew or when summertime draw was high. The new tower carries 12 wires (six pair) of 22kv and it must be shielded. No noise at all. My meter reads under 3mg when directly underneath the tower/lines. The old tower hit 8mg when directly under it. Our house reads more inside than  out. Those are hard facts. The screen I'm staring at is putting off about 3mg.

WSS
View Quote
Any favorable effects to the family when the newer reduced lines were in place? Better sleep? Less anxiety?
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#39]
What I think is that there has to be more pressing problems to spend time and money on.  Folks tend to WAY over think things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top