Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/12/2022 10:35:26 AM EDT
]
Looking for a new EDC knife, have good folders I like and use but want something substantial that will be of sufficient size to carry out both EDC and outdoors tasks. Think non permissive environments when I can't carry a pistol or have a pocket clip showing. Looking for one and done here, no real budget but I don't want or need shiny and flashy, this is 100% about function. Rather put money into great steel and handles than flash.

Leaning hard towards one of the ESEE models but have never had the oppotunity to handle them in person. Certainly not opposed to other brands and have utilitarian stuff from companies like Ontario, Cold Steel, TOPS, Buck, Kershaw, and pre-chopfest Benchmade (plus a bunch of Moras, of course) - perhaps that helps give some ideas as to what would be s good fit. Also not opposed to a custom make (actually would be preferred to support our own) and some of the stuff I've seen from our resident makers on here is awesome.

So, here are my thoughts/requrements:
Utilitarian first, built tough - would be at home striking a fire starter, cleaning a deer, or for bushcraft uses, but not too massive to carry IWB.
No foreign junk steel
IWB sheath, kydex or kydex/leather hybrid
Somewhere in the 4" ish blade range I suppose

All thoughts and opinions welcome. Guys making custom stuff, I'd love to hear from you if you're not swamped with fancy projects. Cross posted from GD as well.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/EDC-a-small-fixed-knife-Pocket-carry-only/5-2597300/
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the idea of a fixed blade, but for non permissive carry you're probably better off with a tactical flashlight.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#4]
ESSE RB3
Aftermarket kydex sheath
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#5]
ESEE Izula 2 is on me right now. I like them & 3 and 4. I use factory sheath IWB and Armatus for horizontal.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I carry a ESEE Izula and a 3. Great knives.
Also a brand to look at is TOOR.
I also carry an anaconda in their concealed sheath.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By adversor:
I like the idea of a fixed blade, but for non permissive carry you're probably better off with a tactical flashlight.
View Quote

Flashlight needs are already covered
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#8]
ESEE Izula, ESEE Izula 2, ESEE RB3, ESEE 3, ESEE 4
Blade length from shortest to longest (Izula and Izula 2 have the same blade, the 2 has a longer handle).
Armatus sheath for whichever you chose.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#9]
ESEE-3HM has been my EDC knife for several years of everything from opening paint cans and boxes to chopping up chickens. I love it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh heck, treat yourself to something special.  My EDC.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 11:08:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vap0rWav3r] [#11]
As others have mentioned, my brother has an ESEE Izula 2 to fill this role, he likes it. It seems like a solid knife and won't break the bank, he found a decent kydex sheath on eBay that allows for scout/horizontal carry on his belt line.

I'm going to study some smaller fixed blade knives and make a small EDC knife for myself next year probably.

A 4" blade in a "non-permissive" environment is going to be almost as hard to conceal as a compact pistol IMO though, 4" of blade will need at least 4-4.5" of handle to balance it out and make it feel good in the hand so you're at 8+" OAL. I personally have my bigger Moras in the car in my get home bag if I need an outdoor knife.

I'll probably go somewhere between 2.5-3" for my fixed blade.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:37:22 AM EDT
[#12]
ESEE 4
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 1:41:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Bradford Guardian 3
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:47:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#14]
OP, are there any "legal" restrictions on knives in your AO, or in any AOs to which you are likely to travel while toting the knife?

Here in "Worker's Paradise of Rhode Island" longest legal knife has a blade length of 3" or less.  Importantly, this is measured from tip of blade to the bolster/guard of the knife which is always longer than the sharpened edge of the blade.

This is entirely aside from any knife being of a "prohibited" type of construction, such as "Switchblades" and so forth.

Sad that honest citizens need to take this into account, but there it is.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I really like the Old Timer Sharpfinger.  Not claiming it's the best knife on the market but I really like the knife.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Get six Morakniv knives and get one or two of the survival ones with the magnesium rod strikers in the hilt.

Less than $150.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Get six Morakniv knives and get one or two of the survival ones with the magnesium rod strikers in the hilt.

Less than $150.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Get some Birchwood Casey Gun Blue if you don't like the blade shiny.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:10:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#18]
For a good concealed carry sheath, you'll likely have to go custom, but for more popular knives like ESEE, there are a lot of off-the-shelf options.

I can appreciate having a good utility fixed blade carried discreetly. Size matters as some are easier than others to conceal. Slightly on the smaller side, I still find Bradford, ESEE (3), and the White River Model 1 all excellent utility-EDC knives and able to easily conceal.

Take a good look at TOPS CUT 4.0; it's quite under-rated in my opinion and is both a good defensive-utilitarian design:

Along the same lines, but only made it batches is the BRKT JX4 Bush Bat:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 2:32:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:18:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#20]
ESEE 3 ... budget choice
Busse Combat Active Duty or Leaner Meaner ... professional's choice

ETA: Skeleton knives work great for "neck carry".  ESEE Izula or Swamp Rat Warden
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 1:01:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#21]
Originally Posted By lew:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/1587095316660-489.gif

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Less than $150.

BC Bluing will work on most carbon steel blades, but not so much on most Stainless steels.

Glass-bead-blasting the blades can reduce shine, but roughens the surface making the blade harder to clean.  OTOH, glass-bead blasting is perfect surface prep for coating the blade in a durable finish, such as ceracoat .
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Wolfpack... anecdote from the first North Carolina Tactical 3 gun match I shot in 1995.... a young  Delta trooper was looking at the prize table, and there was a Randall #1 as one of the prizes... he had no idea of the quality of a Randall knife, or its value...

my #10 5" salt fisherman still sees use... you can appreciate it's age as I paid $35 for it... regards
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:
For a good concealed carry sheath, you'll likely have to go custom, but for more popular knives like ESEE, there are a lot of off-the-shelf options.

I can appreciate having a good utility fixed blade carried discreetly. Size matters as some are easier than others to conceal. Slightly on the smaller side, I still find Bradford, ESEE (3), and the White River Model 1 all excellent utility-EDC knives and able to easily conceal.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20220820_085821.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20220820_085352.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20220820_084958.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

Take a good look at TOPS CUT 4.0; it's quite under-rated in my opinion and is both a good defensive-utilitarian design:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/EDC/.highres/20180906_094424_zpsik62jnx1.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/EDC/.highres/20180809_051454_zpsrsvg7rxx.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

Along the same lines, but only made it batches is the BRKT JX4 Bush Bat:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/EDC/.highres/20170421_070804_zpsru1ux6cy.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/EDC/.highres/20170421_070653_zpsxaz3k49b.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/EDC/.highres/20170421_070857_zpsuvme3y64.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote

You're a gear whore!  
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
You're a gear whore!  
View Quote

We all have our faults in life...thanks for pointing mine out
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
You're a gear whore!  

Not a problem, I don't have hardly any gear myself.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By raf:
OP, are there any "legal" restrictions on knives in your AO, or in any AOs to which you are likely to travel while toting the knife?

Here in "Worker's Paradise of Rhode Island" longest legal knife has a blade length of 3" or less.  Importantly, this is measured from tip of blade to the bolster/guard of the knife which is always longer than the sharpened edge of the blade.

This is entirely aside from any knife being of a "prohibited" type of construction, such as "Switchblades" and so forth.

View Quote

I would say move to a free starte but after doing serious thought on if I lived in a commie one and had already established deep root's then it wouldnbe extremely difficult to just upnamd move.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

He beat me too it.

At least you're a W with taste.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

No restrictions here, sad that even needs to be considered.

It's an easily forgivable one
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Less than $150.

Already have some Moras and have patina'd the blades. I like them but am looking for something nicer. I use an SRK for rough tasks, moras live in my packs.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Esee 3 for life
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

Already have some Moras and have patina'd the blades. I like them but am looking for something nicer. I use an SRK for rough tasks, moras live in my packs.
View Quote

Head over to the Armory section and take a look in the Blade forum.  There are several people that make knives on the site.  Shoot them a message describing what you are looking for and asking what it would cost
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By dcs12345:

Head over to the Armory section and take a look in the Blade forum.  There are several people that make knives on the site.  Shoot them a message describing what you are looking for and asking what it would cost
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dcs12345:
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#33]
ESEE 4 and a 3
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Less than $150.

Soaking in hot white vinegar will give the carbon Morakniv an almost black finish. It also helps protect it from rust.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jeepnik:
Oh heck, treat yourself to something special.  My EDC.
https://i.imgur.com/vWKESFt.jpg?1
View Quote

Nice.  How long was your wait?  When I was in Afghanistan, I was going to order one, as they expedited shipping for folks in theater.  But alas, I was pulled out of there before I could do it.  My loss.  One day.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#36]
There are several folks who stock Randalls. Googled them. They may not have every model but if you look you can find something you like. Wait time on my last two were a couple of days.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Dynamis
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Just obtained a Gerber "Applegate/Fairbairn" Covert Assisted folding knife on ebay.  Fully satisfactory.  Also ordered its big brother, the Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn folding Combat Knife.  

I'm sure better knives/steels are available, but both these knives seem to be well-recommended, well reviewed, and pretty decent for what they are.

I have invested in both the tools and knowledge/skill to sharpen both these knives.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Just obtained a Gerber "Applegate/Fairbairn" Covert Assisted folding knife on ebay.  Fully satisfactory.  Also ordered its big brother, the Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn folding Combat Knife.  

I'm sure better knives/steels are available, but both these knives seem to be well-recommended, well reviewed, and pretty decent for what they are.

I have invested in both the tools and knowledge/skill to sharpen both these knives.

YMMV.
View Quote

I like the secondary one but more than I need to spend on gear right now!   Ammo just got stupid expensive in NY with the new laws, because apparently the 2nd amendment doesn't exist here anymore.

My favorite large folder is the Cold Steel pocket bushman.

If I had to pick one of my fixed blades to EDC I would go for the Cold Steel SRK Compact Fixed Knife SK5 with a high ride custom kydex sheath.  I don't have such a sheath though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#40]

I like the secondary one but more than I need to spend on gear right now!   Ammo just got stupid expensive in NY with the new laws, because apparently the 2nd amendment doesn't exist here anymore.

If I had to pick one of my fixed blades to EDC I would go for the Cold Steel SRK Compact Fixed Knife SK5 with a high ride custom kydex sheath.  I don't have such a sheath though.
View Quote
We all have "personal" choices, and I reckon most "decent" choices would serve most of us well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#41]
We all have "personal" choices, and I reckon most "decent" choices would serve most of us well.
View All Quotes

Well put!  Problem for me & arfcom is all the like minded folks post epic gear and more often then not I always want to try one, or this or that out.  I struggle with the will to not buy gear, because I too am a gear whore!  
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 7:49:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#42]

Well put!  Problem for me & arfcom is all the like minded folks post epic gear and more often then not I always want to try one, or this or that out.  I struggle with the will to not buy gear, because I too am a gear whore!  
View All Quotes

I think the "trick" is to recognize "trusted" posters and also to understand that their "trusted" opinions might not "exactly" suit any particular user.  That said, most recommendations from "trusted" users are likely to be very decent items, if not exactly "ideal" for a particular user.

Call it something of a "filter" if you will.

By the same token, it's on the OP to precisely define what they want. Most often, this is not well defined.

I own, kinda by accident, some "collectible" knives.  I've "retired" them and have substituted similar knives for "field" use.

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:47:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lungbuster] [#43]
@Rock6

What knife is this? I want a new ring knife.

Attachment Attached File

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 8:44:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#44]
Most folks have not trained in "knife-fighting" with Expert guidance, pistols being the referred item nowadays.

For the most part, a "fighting knife" is far longer than most "utility" knives, and a somewhat specialized item.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#45]
@Lungbuster
It’s a pretty simple fixed blade Karambit, made by Black Fox Knives (relatively inexpensive when on sale):

Black Fox Karambit, fixed blade

Most folks have not trained in "knife-fighting" with Expert guidance, pistols being the referred item nowadays.

For the most part, a "fighting knife" is far longer than most "utility" knives, and a somewhat specialized item.
View Quote

This needs a little context. I don’t think too many are thinking of it as “knife fighting” so much as it’s just defensive use or used to create some space. A lot of people are killed by unskilled “knife fighters” every day, but fighting with a knife isn’t something I focus on.

An expert doesn’t need to teach you how to stab, but it does help to have an expert show you where to stab. Slashing is the same thing. I only practice a few ice-pick slashes and “punches” or stabs from my weak-hand, and my only purpose is to create space for a gun or break contact.

What I’ve found the biggest challenge is that if I’m really in a position to use a knife, I likely have very little space. Many of the knife fighting techniques that require maneuver and swinging space are just not useful to me. I need something out with less than six inches to maneuver, jab and slash at face or tendons. I don’t want to be an expert, I just was to be efficient at accessing under stress and focusing on breaking contact and creating space for a much more effective defensive tool that I do train with and with experts.

I do find the irony that every knife I’ve seen in combat, oh, let’s say several hundred, have been used for utility far more than combat. As much as I like dedicated fighting knives, I also realize I’m far more likely to use them for utility purposes if I don’t have another tool available.  

I’m not against professional defensive knife training, but I would recommend training that incorporates having a handgun as well.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Like others here, I like an ESEE 3 variant however, I recently purchased this Falkenkniven G1 Garm Fighter. It’s a handy little knife that has strong steel, razor sharp, and a grippy hilt.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#47]
@Lungbuster
It’s a pretty simple fixed blade Karambit, made by Black Fox Knives (relatively inexpensive when on sale):

This needs a little context. I don’t think too many are thinking of it as “knife fighting” so much as it’s just defensive use or used to create some space. A lot of people are killed by unskilled “knife fighters” every day, but fighting with a knife isn’t something I focus on.

An expert doesn’t need to teach you how to stab, but it does help to have an expert show you where to stab. Slashing is the same thing. I only practice a few ice-pick slashes and “punches” or stabs from my weak-hand, and my only purpose is to create space for a gun or break contact.

What I’ve found the biggest challenge is that if I’m really in a position to use a knife, I likely have very little space. Many of the knife fighting techniques that require maneuver and swinging space are just not useful to me. I need something out with less than six inches to maneuver, jab and slash at face or tendons. I don’t want to be an expert, I just was to be efficient at accessing under stress and focusing on breaking contact and creating space for a much more effective defensive tool that I do train with and with experts.

I do find the irony that every knife I’ve seen in combat, oh, let’s say several hundred, have been used for utility far more than combat. As much as I like dedicated fighting knives, I also realize I’m far more likely to use them for utility purposes if I don’t have another tool available.  

I’m not against professional defensive knife training, but I would recommend training that incorporates having a handgun as well.

ROCK6
View Quote

Thanks. Looks like they are OOS on most websites. I’ll keep an eye out for one.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#48]
@Lungbuster

ROCK6
View Quote

Thanks. Looks like they are OOS on most websites. I’ll keep an eye out for one.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Not being an "Expert", I think there is much to discuss and evaluate.

For example, common Kevlar "soft" armor is OK for small Arty fragments, but not so "OK" for rifle bullets.

Same Kevlar soft armor is usually good for "slashing" knife attacks, but not nearly so good for a sharply pointed knife, or worse, a Spike.

I understand that there are "Stab-Resistant" vests, mostly used by Cops and Prison Guards.  IDK what level of bullet protection such "Stab-Resistant" items might offer.

Adding bullet-resistant plates certainly renders areas covered by the plates invulnerable to knife/spike attack.

I'm posing questions without knowing answers.  Hopefully some actual Experts can provide answers.

Link Posted: 3/14/2023 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#50]
I understand that there are "Stab-Resistant" vests, mostly used by Cops and Prison Guards.  IDK what level of bullet protection such "Stab-Resistant" items might offer.
View Quote

There are some real lightweight, thin Level IIIA plates on the market that will defeat stabs as well as pistol and shotgun buck. I have a set of Spartan Armis Level IIIA Plates in a First Spear (evidently not made anymore) thin, slick plate carrier that is almost thin enough to wear under a T-shirt.

It's simply part of my protection system where the threat level is elevated, but not to the point of bunkering at home and donning the full plate carrier. I could still wear it for trips to work, getting gas, groceries, etc., and not draw any attention.

ROCK6
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top