Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2019 11:59:59 AM EDT
I used to own an old gen woodland camo outershell and the rainproofness left a lot to be desired.

I am looking for a new gore tex shell for winter layering and rain use and I have heard that the newer gens are much better in this regard.
Is this true?

The issue I am having is that I have found in a local surplus place a desert pink camo shell, where the cut and the style are identical to the old woodland I used to have,  but I dont know if its really a newer gen with better water resistance.

They also had a shell in what appeared to be the air force blue tiger type pattern, but the cut and pattern was totally different. It didn't have the nylon inner liner but it seemed to be very heavy duty gore text with visibly taped seams, etc and seemed to run a little smaller.

I hate that pattern but it seemed to be newer and better in terms of water resistance.

Which generation is which, and can newer styles be had in anything other than air force camo?
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I used to own an old gen woodland camo outershell and the rainproofness left a lot to be desired.

I am looking for a new gore tex shell for winter layering and rain use and I have heard that the newer gens are much better in this regard.
Is this true?

The issue I am having is that I have found in a local surplus place a desert pink camo shell, where the cut and the style are identical to the old woodland I used to have,  but I dont know if its really a newer gen with better water resistance.

They also had a shell in what appeared to be the air force blue tiger type pattern, but the cut and pattern was totally different. It didn't have the nylon inner liner but it seemed to be very heavy duty gore text with visibly taped seams, etc and seemed to run a little smaller.

I hate that pattern but it seemed to be newer and better in terms of water resistance.

Which generation is which, and can newer styles be had in anything other than air force camo?
View Quote
First Gen ECWCS GoreTex parka had serious flaws, due to "through-stitching" of the parka at many points.  For the most part, this can be remediated by the user.  The first step is to thoroughly launder the garment, using appropriate chemicals.  There can be NO question that using detergents/laundry cleaners suitable for military use on GoreTex garments MUST be used. IOW, Don't use your usual laundry detergent; It won't work well, and will likely make you an instant target, since such detergents contain "Brighteners".  I HIGHLY suggest detergents specifically intended to clean GoreTex garments.  Mil says that improperly laundered GoreTex garments can lose their water-shedding capability, and this is true.  Use detergents and other chemicals specifically intended for your item.

1st Gen ECWCS parkas and pants NEED to have "Seam-Sealer" applied to ALL stitching points, both inside the garment, and outside.  This is a PITA, but necessary, so don't skip anything.  Doing so seals-off the  "sew-throughs" more-or-less permanently.  Modern, water-based Seam Sealer will do the job, if applied to BOTH sides of the "Sew-Through".  After that is done, then apply copious amounts of DWR (Durable Water Repellant) to the garments.

Doing this right will give a 1st Gen ECWCS garment that is fully up to spec, and far better than new.  Maybe better than some later iterations, as some features on 1st Gen ECWCS garmants were deleted on later gens.  YMMV.

FWIW, I have done all this stuff to my 1st Gen ECWCS GoreTex shell and pants, and since I was painstaking, I have good results to report.  Without all this re-work, I don't suggest 1st gen Mil ECWCS garmants at all--go for later generations when the initial problems were fixed from the start.

OTOH, good condition 1st Gen ECWCS are sold at low cost. Your call if you want to spend $15 or so for the proper seam sealer needed for 1st gen ECWCS.  You will need the same amount/cost of proper detergent/DWR for later versions of the garments, vice the same 1st Gen garments.

Later generations of GoreTex ECWCS included fixes that solved many 1st Gen problems.  Their laundering is exactaly the same, as well as is the necessity to treat them on a regular basis with DWR.

No expert, but I would NOT suggest dyeing garments containing GoreTex or other micropourous membranes.  The reason for this caution os that the dyeing chemicals might clog the pores of the GoreTex membrane, thus rendering it useless for its intended purpose.  NO explicit advice on this, just being cautious.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#2]
How about the British MTP on the market?

I think I can a set for $80 (a good chunk of that being shipping from UK).
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First Gen ECWCS GoreTex parka had serious flaws, due to "through-stitching" of the parka at many points.  For the most part, this can be remediated by the user.  The first step is to thoroughly launder the garment, using appropriate chemicals.  There can be NO question that using detergents/laundry cleaners suitable for military use on GoreTex garments MUST be used. IOW, Don't use your usual laundry detergent; It won't work well, and will likely make you an instant target, since such detergents contain "Brighteners".  I HIGHLY suggest detergents specifically intended to clean GoreTex garments.  Mil says that improperly laundered GoreTex garments can lose their water-shedding capability, and this is true.  Use detergents and other chemicals specifically intended for your item.

1st Gen ECWCS parkas and pants NEED to have "Seam-Sealer" applied to ALL stitching points, both inside the garment, and outside.  This is a PITA, but necessary, so don't skip anything.  Doing so seals-off the  "sew-throughs" more-or-less permanently.  Modern, water-based Seam Sealer will do the job, if applied to BOTH sides of the "Sew-Through".  After that is done, then apply copious amounts of DWR (Durable Water Repellant) to the garments.

Doing this right will give a 1st Gen ECWCS garment that is fully up to spec, and far better than new.  Maybe better than some later iterations, as some features on 1st Gen ECWCS garmants were deleted on later gens.  YMMV.

FWIW, I have done all this stuff to my 1st Gen ECWCS GoreTex shell and pants, and since I was painstaking, I have good results to report.  Without all this re-work, I don't suggest 1st gen Mil ECWCS garmants at all--go for later generations when the initial problems were fixed from the start.

OTOH, good condition 1st Gen ECWCS are sold at low cost. Your call if you want to spend $15 or so for the proper seam sealer needed for 1st gen ECWCS.  You will need the same amount/cost of proper detergent/DWR for later versions of the garments, vice the same 1st Gen garments.

Later generations of GoreTex ECWCS included fixes that solved many 1st Gen problems.  Their laundering is exactaly the same, as well as is the necessity to treat them on a regular basis with DWR.

No expert, but I would NOT suggest dyeing garments containing GoreTex or other micropourous membranes.  The reason for this caution os that the dyeing chemicals might clog the pores of the GoreTex membrane, thus rendering it useless for its intended purpose.  NO explicit advice on this, just being cautious.
View Quote
@raf
What detergent and DWR do you recommend. My goretex stuff is fairly new but I'd like to have everything ready for when its needed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Local hiking store such as REI will have the appropriate products.
Mcnett revive is one such product designed to clean goretex.
Gearaid is another brand.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Local hiking store such as REI will have the appropriate products.
Mcnett revive is one such product designed to clean goretex.
Gearaid is another brand.
View Quote
Concur.  Mcnett, Nikwax, and GearAid all make the proper chemicals.  Gore sells them as well.  For laundry detergent suitable for this application, Woolite is fine.  Rinse very thoroughly--2-3 full rinses.

The problem with Gen 1 ECWCS Gore-Tex outer gear is that they were not seam-taped at the sew-throughs at/by the factory/mfr.  How this idiotic omission occurred is beyond my understanding, as it was well-known at that point in time that tape-sealing sew-throughs was essential to deter water ingress.

The point is that the flaws due to sew-throughs and non-taping of such on Gen 1 ECWCS garments can be remediated by the user.  This is a pains-taking process, requiring some user time and effort, but little expense.   The garments should be in good condition, and properly laundered prior to remediation.  The general details of the remediation process are laid out above.  Done properly, the remediation of the garment is a one-time process, although the re-application of DWR is an ongoing thing, as with all similar garments.

I am no expert on the differences between the different generations of the Gore-Tex outer garments (Coat and pants).  No doubt details vary between the various generations, but I am not qualified to speak on such.

Those on a budget might consider the Gen 1 garments (in good condition) as relatively inexpensive items to buy, and remediate.  Those not wishing to do so, for various reasons, might want to consider the later generations of the garments, and carefully inspect their different features.

The coat and pants should be considered as a set, as they were intended to be so worn.  Any ECWCS garment, being bought in used condition, MUST be properly laundered, and then DWR liberally applied.

Some of the differences between the different generations of ECWCS are discussed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Cold_Weather_Clothing_System

As previously discussed, any Gore-Tex garment relies on being clean and having a sufficient amount of DWR on it to be effective.  The manufacturing defects of the 1st Gen garments being user-remedied, then they are worth comparing against later Gen ECWCS garments.  Absent such remediation, the Gen 1 garments are UNSAT.  I have used Gen 1 ECWCS garments, personally remediated.  They work as intended, and no soak-throughs at the seams.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Having just received my Gen 3 ECWCS pants, and awaiting the coat, I can say that they are thoroughly taped inside the garment.  However, there are still some sew-throughs, mostly covered by the coat, that can use some user-applied seam-sealer.  Most users will find this procedure unnecessary, at least on the pants.  We'll see how things work out with the coat.

As suspected, the Gen 3 ECWCS is a very dumbed-down garment, compared with the Gen 1 ECWCS; a simple, very lightweight rain/wind shell.  It is a LOT lighter than the Gen 1 garment; but I reckon the Gen 1 garment is a lot more durable.

As mentioned before, can't directly comment on Gen 2 ECWCS garments.

In any case, GI-type suspenders are HIGHLY recommended for all these type pants.  The reason for this is that the pants can be worn with a fairly loose waistband when using appropriate suspenders, and so the moisture/heat can vent from the pants into the jacket, which has better provision for venting than do the pants.  In short, if wearing this pants garment with a belt, your legs are certain to get hot and sweaty.  I reckon the suspender method of wearing the garment was seldom included in the (usually non-existent) training for such garments, along with many other valuable points.

No idea if the pants were issued with suspenders.  Heaven help the troops who lacked the suspenders, and who did not receive adequate training.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Having just received my Gen 3 ECWCS pants, and awaiting the coat, I can say that they are thoroughly taped inside the garment.  However, there are still some sew-throughs, mostly covered by the coat, that can use some user-applied seam-sealer.  Most users will find this procedure unnecessary, at least on the pants.  We'll see how things work out with the coat.

As suspected, the Gen 3 ECWCS is a very dumbed-down garment, compared with the Gen 1 ECWCS; a simple, very lightweight rain/wind shell.  It is a LOT lighter than the Gen 1 garment; but I reckon the Gen 1 garment is a lot more durable.

As mentioned before, can't directly comment on Gen 2 ECWCS garments.

In any case, GI-type suspenders are HIGHLY recommended for all these type pants.  The reason for this is that the pants can be worn with a fairly loose waistband when using appropriate suspenders, and so the moisture/heat can vent from the pants into the jacket, which has better provision for venting than do the pants.  In short, if wearing this pants garment with a belt, your legs are certain to get hot and sweaty.  I reckon the suspender method of wearing the garment was seldom included in the (usually non-existent) training for such garments, along with many other valuable points.

No idea if the pants were issued with suspenders.  Heaven help the troops who lacked the suspenders, and who did not receive adequate training.
View Quote
I got lucky and read somewhere (maybe here) about the suspenders. There is not way I would be able to wear them without.

My pants were new and the jacket was used. I washed them both but treated the jacket with Revivex just to be sure.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Coat arrived, and it is very well sealed with internal taping.  As I suspected, having inspected the similar pants, it is a simple rain/wind shell.

Users of this garment need to know that the zippered openings on both the pants and coat are not only for access to internal garments.  The zippered openings in both pants and jacket are PRIMARILY intended as user-configurable venting.  Using them as venting devices is extremely important.

In addition, leaving the zippered front of the coat un-zipped, and securing the Velcro zipper flap closures allows the front of the coat to vent through the un-zippered opening, and through the openings between the velcroid closures.  Leaving the cuffs at their loosest will be of help.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I just bought a set of Tru-Spec's "H2O Proof, Gen 2 ECWCS" Parka and Pants.  I cannot compare them to GI-Issue Gen 2 ECWCS gear, but I can compare them to Gen I and Gen 3 ECWCS gear.

The features on the are similar to those on the Gen 1, with pit-zips, internal snow collar, and differ from Gen 1 mainly in the collar and its' enclosed hood, which is much like that on the Gen 3.  the hood on this unit has good provision for user-adjustments.  The material is, as claimed, somewhat softer and quieter than the stouter fabric on the Gen 1, but it's not silent, but a long shot.
So, from what I have heard, this parka fairly closely mimics the GI Gen 2 unit.

Tru-Spec also makes zip-in/out Polar Fleece Parka liners, which can be used independently.  On order.  No idea if that feature was available on the GI Gen 2 version.  IIRC, not a feature on either the GI Gen 1 or Gen 3 Parkas.

Pants have a partially elasticized waistband, and belt loops.  No built-in provision for suspenders, so tie a loop of thin GI accessory cord between two belt loops  or install two grommets in  the waistband, and use suspenders.   For some reason, the pull-tabs on the lower leg zippers were twice the length needed, so I removed them, cut them in half, seared the cut ends, and used the resulting 4 segments of material to re-attach one each to the leg zippers, and one each to the "pass-through" zippers on the front/sides of the pants, which heretofore lacked any pulls at all.  Nice the way that worked-out.

After careful examination, both articles seem to be well-made; Time will tell, but reviews seem universally positive.  Both Parka and Pants seemed to be adequately "taped" over their seams, so there ought not be any water-ingress problems as with the unmodified, Gen 1 version.  See above for the Gen 1 Mod.

As mentioned, I have no personal experience with the Gen 2 ECWCS, BUT these Tru-Spec items seem to address the primary issues with unmodified Gen 1 garments, while retaining the useful features of same.  The "pit-zips" should go a long way towards providing venting/user comfort in warmer weather.

I'm happy with my purchase, and hope it will hold up.  From the appearance, it should; We'll see.

If these items are of interest, DO shop around.  Tru-Spec has, not surprisingly, the widest range of sizes and colors.  Other vendors have a lower overall, as-shipped price.

Suggestions:
Gen 1:  If you already have this ensemble, or can get a set that fits you properly for cheap, then modify it as I outlined above, following the steps to the letter.  It will be the least expensive alternative, albeit the heaviest/most durable.  Use suspenders.

Gen 2: Probably the way to go, particularly if you can find a used set in good condition.  Launder properly, and re-treat with DWR.  Use suspenders.  Tru-Spec alternative will be more expensive, but new.

Gen 3:  A simple, lightweight rain Parka and Pants.  Lacks some features found on earlier Gens, mostly to save weight and expense.  We'll see if the existing venting is an adequate replacement for the pit-zips, I suspect not.  Use suspenders.

Disclaimer: No financial interest in  any product/vendor.

Submitted for consideration.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I honestly can't think of a case where I'd want to wear the goretex pants.   In fact, I don't think I've ever owned a personal purchase pair.   I still have my ECWCS hardshell - I haven't worn it in a few years, as it rides along in my truck as a "just in case" sort of deal - but I'd use it more often if I spent more time out in the snow.

If it's warm enough to rain, it's warm enough that having damp legs while wearing the level 5 pants is fine.   They shed water well and dry quickly, even while wearing them, as long as you're not getting poured on.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:03:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the entire system pretty much daily and I can attest that the rain garments do keep you dry for long periods of time.  Levels 4+5 are water resistant to a point, but they will become saturated in relatively short order.  Used the “Level 6” jacket and pants (first ABU/USAF Digital and now MC) extensively in FL where it rains a shit ton and use the whole system up here in ND.

Admittedly I don’t have much experience with any “higher end” cold weather gear, but using alternating pieces down to -25* F while remaining active, I have yet to be disappointed or left wanting for something else.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I honestly can't think of a case where I'd want to wear the goretex pants.   In fact, I don't think I've ever owned a personal purchase pair.   I still have my ECWCS hardshell - I haven't worn it in a few years, as it rides along in my truck as a "just in case" sort of deal - but I'd use it more often if I spent more time out in the snow.

If it's warm enough to rain, it's warm enough that having damp legs while wearing the level 5 pants is fine.   They shed water well and dry quickly, even while wearing them, as long as you're not getting poured on.
View Quote

The Mil noted that in some cases, water on one's pants could migrate into the coat, and so cause problems.  In short-duration rain, this might not be a problem, but during lengthy rain such water ingress might cause problems later on.

The ECWCS system was intended, primarily, for climates other than Tropical, hence the name.  I don't think many people will be wearing the ECWCS system in the jungle.  As against that, The pants would seem to be a valuable part of the system.  It seems that some complaints concerning the ECWCS system were due to troops who were not trained/instructed to don the ECWCS pants at the first opportunity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top