BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2020 11:40:11 PM EDT
Just worked E44CC Palestine on 80m FT8.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#1]
yeah, but have you worked them on ham radio yet ?

Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:11:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I think they have a local QRN issue, so no I haven't been able to work them on any other mode.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:34:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll be watching for them on the spotter

Not seeing them now

Thanks for the "heads up"

Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Shots fired!
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 2:53:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Shots fired!
View Quote
Derek is old an friend, but sadly bit of an anti-computer type ham operator. CW and SSB is the only real type of radio for him....and he hates Windoze.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Derek is old an friend, but sadly bit of an anti-computer type ham operator. CW and SSB is the only real type of radio for him....and he hates Windoze.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shots fired!
I can understand where he comes from .

I've mentioned before that digital modes feel like cheating compared to the difficulty and time required to get ssb contacts.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw them spotted on 40 & 80 cw last night

didn't hear them on either, just the occasional Lid calling them without setting up there split.

Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Ham Radio Curmudgeons hate FT-8.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not hate, it's boredom.

And the only skill involved is knowing how to plug in a USB cable.

Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's not hate, it's boredom.

And the only skill involved is knowing how to plug in a USB cable.

View Quote
I don't hate FT8, but I agree it's not something I "enjoy".  I fire up WSJT-X a couple times a week, but it's mostly just to look for odd DX stations and to throw out a few CQs to test propagation with a larger set of listening stations.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't hate FT8, but I agree it's not something I "enjoy".  
View Quote
I hear you.  I suspect my comments are often taken as "hate" for the digital modes, but I really don't hate them.  I think there is room for everyone in amateur radio.  The first time I earned WAS was on the digital modes, and I have been participating in the digital net for years.  One of my favorite QSO's of all time, was when I managed to snag BigDaddy while he was out camping in the woods.  And I also managed to make contact with elcope when he put on his informal survival contest.

But overall, I find them somewhat boring, and my favorite mode is definitely CW, even though I'm not very good at it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:10:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Sadly FT8 is working much better than phone or CW right now. Until the solar cycle improves, FT8 is my go to mode. I have DXCC on 8 bands and as you can see...I use whatever mode it takes to put a new one in my logbook. CW by far has been my most productive mode.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I heard them earlier today on 20m CW, too weak to work though.

Will watch spots for them on the low bands tonight.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:35:43 AM EDT
[#14]
As a relative newbie to HAM radio, I have to admit ft8 is sorta my go-to mode.

I'm just not comfortable trying to talk over everyone else to exchange callsigns and a signal report.

It just feels...  odd.  I guess it's the introvert in me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As a relative newbie to HAM radio, I have to admit ft8 is sorta my go-to mode.

I'm just not comfortable trying to talk over everyone else to exchange callsigns and a signal report.

It just feels...  odd.  I guess it's the introvert in me.
View Quote
@TinLeg

well, that's the beauty of CW.

it's such a thin signal, when the DX sends "up",  you try to figure out how far up he's working them, and find a nearby quiet spot to be heard.

on SSB, you just set your split, and dive in.

either way, working DX is a short exchange.

Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Just worked them on 18.096 FT8 F/H mode.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#17]
tried to work them last night, but only heard another station on the same freq spotted

callsign “upup” didn’t find them on QRZed

[shrug]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#18]
For some reason, that part of the world is very difficult for me, even in the best of times.  I'm not holding out any hope of working them now, with any mode.

I guess I have a dead spot in my antenna.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Worked them late last night on 40 meter phone.  They were running split on 7.150, listening up 7.190. They were calling CQ and no one was in line. Exchanged the usual 59’s but they were way down in the weeds.  This was the first time i could actually hear their spot. My rig is an Icom 7300 with an AL80B amp through a 43’ vertical.

It was nice as I’ve been off the air for over a year and just put my shack back in some operational order this weekend.

Cheers

BJD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top