Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2018 6:16:14 PM EDT
I just got a new St. Croix Trout Series rod and it has an extra little guide up close to the handle.  I've never seen this before.  What's the purpose?
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#1]
To put your hook. That's what I always assumed it was for. I usually hook up on the bottom guide though
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh yeah, thanks.  Kind of a nice feature.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TRRiverdude:
Oh yeah, thanks.  Kind of a nice feature.
View Quote
I further recommend to loop your line around the guide and hook it on a guide higher up your rod. That way, those hooks are located directly where you will be grabbing your rod!
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
If you use a guide instead of the hook keeper, make sure to put the hook on the guide frame, and not on the guide ring.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pagoda:
If you use a guide instead of the hook keeper, make sure to put the hook on the guide frame, and not on the guide ring.
View Quote
This! Your hooks will scratch and damage the ceramic inserts of a guide and eventually your line will start fraying and breaking for no apparent reason. To check your guides run a cotton ball through the guides. If the cotton gets hung up then you've got issues with the guide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top