Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2022 1:44:45 PM EDT
It's the same I have been warning about (and LOL at) in GD.  People here seem more aware that our monetary (actually currency) system is dying.  

https://21stcenturywire.com/2022/09/08/vernon-coleman-heres-how-theyll-bankrupt-you/
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm glad the wife and I are debt free, live well below our means and live in a low cost of living area.

I've been reading about the number of evictions and car repos that are about to explode. Crime is going to explode with those things too. Normally " good" people will do anything when they desperate, homeless and their kids are hungry.

JMO but we are on the precipice of a total economic and social disaster.

Link Posted: 9/10/2022 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I read it. I don't agree with it.

People may see some rough times, but probably not much worse than 2008/2009. At least in America we have plenty of energy we can reach. Britain and Germany are going to have more issues as they can't get enough gas, solar and wind are unreliable and they closed up too much coal and nuclear.

Rising interest rates are a problem for people who want to sell their homes or buy new homes. Sellers can end up underwater as increawed interest rates drop home prices. Buyers get forced into smaller and less expensive homes because so much gets eaten by interest.

If you are genuinely worried about power issues, take a loan out for solar and make yourself independent.

We may all see some reduction in lifestyle but it's not the end of the world.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

People may see some rough times, but probably not much worse than 2008/2009. At least in America we have plenty of energy we can reach. Britain and Germany are going to have more issues as they can't get enough gas, solar and wind are unreliable and they closed up too much coal and nuclear.

Rising interest rates are a problem for people who want to sell their homes or buy new homes. Sellers can end up underwater as increawed interest rates drop home prices. Buyers get forced into smaller and less expensive homes because so much gets eaten by interest.

If you are genuinely worried about power issues, take a loan out for solar and make yourself independent.

View Quote

If you had to do it with borrowed money that not being independent. Plus many areas suck for solar or wind ( or both) so it's not feasible for everyone.

Energy is a global commodity so if one area is hurting and are willing to pay inflated prices to get it, the price everywhere goes up. If it cost twice as much to heat a home this winter, where will the majority of people who are already living paycheck to paycheck and already dealing with inflated food and housing costs going to get that money ?

Another article I just read said that more than half of Americans don't have enough savings to pay for a $400 " emergency".

Another said that in a survey, half of US companies are looking at layoffs within the next year, alot of people who thought they had secure jobs may be in for a rude awakening soon.

Reduction in lifestyle ? Maybe for a few fortunate ones near the top. I wish I had your level of optimism but that would require a total disregard for facts.

Link Posted: 9/10/2022 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Another said that in a survey, half of US companies are looking at layoffs within the next year, alot of people who thought they had secure jobs may be in for a rude awakening soon.

View Quote

I want to see this survey! That doesn't reflect what I am actually seeing with my own eyes. There are help wanted signs EVERYWHERE I look. A friend of mine runs a fab business, around 200 employees, he can't get enough help and he's paying good wages and is a great employer to work for. In slow times he pays his employees to go out and pick up trash and serve the community before he will lay them off. He still can't get the help he needs to meet demand for his products.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have faith in fiat currency.  I don’t.  However I do agree that it’s not the end of the world.  I see weiji (crisis/opportunity).
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you had to do it with borrowed money that not being independent. Plus many areas suck for solar or wind ( or both) so it's not feasible for everyone.

Energy is a global commodity so if one area is hurting and are willing to pay inflated prices to get it, the price everywhere goes up. If it cost twice as much to heat a home this winter, where will the majority of people who are already living paycheck to paycheck and already dealing with inflated food and housing costs going to get that money ?

Another article I just read said that more than half of Americans don't have enough savings to pay for a $400 " emergency".

Reduction in lifestyle ? Maybe for a few fortunate ones near the top. I wish I had your level of optimism but that would require a total disregard for facts.

View Quote

Relative to the cost and ability to transport that fuel.  Costs will go up, however, America has lots of natural gas, but lacks the ability to ship the majority of it oversees.  
1) compression facilities are limited in the volume they can compress & store.
2) There is not enough shipping volume (boats) currently available.
3) The countries that need the fuel lack the ability to unload (from the boats) and distribute that fuel in their countries.

So, while other countries are willing to pay a lot for the fuel, it is because there is limited supply available in their area.  They can't get a majority of it from the USA, there is simply not the infrastructure to transport it.  There is also the issue about the unknown length of this shortage.  It could last days, years, or decades.  No company wants to invest great amounts of money in a boat or compression facility that may set unused tomorrow because Russia turned on their taps again.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Regardless of what happens, this demonstrates the need to prepare.  Fuel prices, both for vehicles and to heat homes, fluctuate.  We all hate paying high fuel prices but high fuel prices aren't all bad.  High prices spur exploration and investment and increase supply.  Increased supply means lower prices.  

Overall, it's an interesting time to be alive.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I want to see this survey! That doesn't reflect what I am actually seeing with my own eyes. There are help wanted signs EVERYWHERE I look. A friend of mine runs a fab business, around 200 employees, he can't get enough help and he's paying good wages and is a great employer to work for. In slow times he pays his employees to go out and pick up trash and serve the community before he will lay them off. He still can't get the help he needs to meet demand for his products.
View Quote

Google is easy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2022/08/20/expect-layoffs-at-half-of-us-companies-according-to-new-survey/amp/
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#9]

It's not my job to Google for the survey you brought up.

Forbes is teetering on the edge of what is a trusted source, they sensationalize everything they write and they definitely don't tell the whole truth. Did you look at the survey itself? There were 13 questions about employee retention or downsizing, 9 about retention. It's obvious from the actual responses that the majority of companies are still fighting to retain employees. Furthermore, those listed by the Forbes article and the cited tech article as laying off or downsizing are doing so for valid reasons. Companies routinely go through changes. Layoffs, even during strong economic conditions, still occur regularly. I'm not surprised the cited companies are laying people off. IE, Pelaton is struggling with marketing and coming down from a business high that saw people forced to do their workouts at home. Now that gyms are open and Uncle Sam's free handouts (to the people) dried up (reducing their sales significantly) is it surprising to you that they have had to lay people off?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just scanning the article-

One of the BIG reasons we (survivalists aka "preppers") take food storage seriously should be economic collapse. This can be for the Macro scale (whole nation, etc) or the Micro sale (oh crap I just lost my job!). As someone who's family lived off of our LTS for years supplemented by what we grew and raised, I can tell you that savings helped us get out of debt.

Unfortunately, few take food storage seriously, or they think "2 weeks" is enough. It's not going to be. And even if you aren't concerned for all the "TEOTWAWKI stuff", common sense tells you that packing some food away (properly) a few years ago and rotating it even now means you are saving a metric butt ton of money. So it makes ECONOMIC SENSE as well to store a quantity of food.

And of course, since food has been used as a WEAPON since Biblical times, people who value their freedom of action, store food so the lack thereof cannot be used to control them.

See above.

Also having a well rounded approach to preparedness is key. You don't just have two connex containers full of ammo and LTS and a pile of debt, you have some supplies , become debt free, own what is yours and have some cash set back.

Yet we have had morons on this very forum say if you have "more than $50. cash your a drug dealer." How tremendously stupid and lacking foresight!

Until cash is absolutely outlawed all together or nukes hitting dozens of cities creates the same effect, there will be a need for some cash (FRNs) in hand. As the economy gets worse, bribes will become more common. Hell I always get some kind of discount for paying cash. Folks that never carry cash, don't have some "people skills" regarding negotiating, networking, etc. are going to have it worse. Read the accounts of life in the USSR- when shops got something in, it was a big deal and lining up for hours to get it. People learned to do each other favors and reciprocate to get the most out of the system. Unfortunately Amerika today is largely made up of "takers"- most people don't understand the concept of reciprocating a favor, little gifts to show respect, etc. We are just used to going and paying for what we want, and screaming and acting like a child when we don't get what we want (or don't understand, etc).  That last trait needs to be ditched before things get worse.

As to energy situation, even people supposedly "stuck" in the suburbs can do some things now to mitigate this- rain gutters and rain catchment should be #1. Every house should have a wood stove. You can upgrade insulation, etc.  

If you have a "smart" thermastat, you should by now realize just how "inconvenient" this "convenience" device really is, and get rid of it.

View Quote

All of the above.  The more self-reliant you are, the better.  

5 B's (beans meaning food & water), bandaids (be able to care for yourself in medical emergencies or know others who can), bullion (to preserve wealth for the rebuild and we will rebuild), boolits (to protect the first three B's) and buddies (b/c no man is an island and the tighter your community of skilled individuals, the better).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top