Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2018 4:26:11 PM EDT
I'm planning on starting to do some western hunts most likely next year. I want to start accumulating the gear I'll need to eventually do some backcountry elk hunts. I'd like to get stuff that will work for whatever I decide to hunt out west, so general use over specialized where possible. I keep seeing packs without an external frame recommended, but it seems like you'd want a solid frame for hauling that much meat. Are these packs so well designed that an external frame isn't necessary anymore?
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The old school stuff like aluminum external frames have been losing popularity to the newer internal frames.    They would work fine, and are a lot cheaper.

The offerings from places like kifaru, Kuiu, mystery ranch, etc are really nice.  The entry fee is $$$.  But they work as a day pack, then allow a quarter to be put in via a sling load system.

This is a Kuiu.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Good stuff here for packing out heavy.
Exo Mountain Gear
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:47:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Along with good equipment, you'll benefit immensely from good technique. There's no benefit to packing out unboned "quarters" of big-game carcasses --- butcher and bone  in the field, and save the fuss, mess, bother, and packing weight of unusable bones, etc., and avoid dealing with blood and guts. Even a big bull elk is handily reduced to manageable portions by boning it from the outside in. The best you-tube videos I've seen which illustrate the technique are those of the Japanese heart surgeon/deer hunter/knife collector using the nom de theatre "virtuovice".
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The old school stuff like aluminum external frames have been losing popularity to the newer internal frames.    They would work fine, and are a lot cheaper.

The offerings from places like kifaru, Kuiu, mystery ranch, etc are really nice.  The entry fee is $$$.  But they work as a day pack, then allow a quarter to be put in via a sling load system.

This is a Kuiu.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/70DDBA5A-3064-4342-AC3D-A09D69DF800A-425543.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/1B2F6199-AEAD-4AD3-A8D6-AA712309B9B9-425544.JPG
View Quote
I’ve been looking at all of the ones you mentioned. If I can skip the external frame and save the 3-4lbs of an external frame that would be great.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’ve been looking at all of the ones you mentioned. If I can skip the external frame and save the 3-4lbs of an external frame that would be great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a Kuiu.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/70DDBA5A-3064-4342-AC3D-A09D69DF800A-425543.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/1B2F6199-AEAD-4AD3-A8D6-AA712309B9B9-425544.JPG
Yeah, the new stuff is light years ahead.  Mine is a carbon fiber frame, with suspension and bag, just over 3 lbs.

Plenty of similar choices.   I wanted a kifaru, but $$$$$.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#6]
It depends on if you are doing archery or rifle and how close to a basecamp you are.  My buddy has  kifaru and loves it, but I still use a generic daypack.  The backstraps and tenderloins go out in the first load then I grab my 20 year old aluminum frame pack to get the other 4 qiarters.  I believe my buddy paid $800 for the frame and pack he uses.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It depends on if you are doing archery or rifle and how close to a basecamp you are.  My buddy has  kifaru and loves it, but I still use a generic daypack.  The backstraps and tenderloins go out in the first load then I grab my 20 year old aluminum frame pack to get the other 4 qiarters.  I believe my buddy paid $800 for the frame and pack he uses.
View Quote
I plan on hunting with a rifle for my first few hunts just to give me a better chance at success while I'm learning the basics. I don't know how far from basecamp I'll be, but I don't have a problem with covering the miles to get away from everyone else.

That just made me think of something else. I guess I should figure out whether it makes more sense to camp closer to the truck and cover the miles while hunting or camp further in and hunt closer to camp.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Ive been using an internal frame for 7yrs.  All you really need is something that has a large opening (if internal frame) and that can carry a lot of weight easily (relative).
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ive been using an internal frame for 7yrs.  All you really need is something that has a large opening (if internal frame) and that can carry a lot of weight easily (relative).
View Quote
Yep.  Hauled a lot of elk out in this one, a cheap kelty with the internal frame stays.   It will get hot against your back with no air space though, but during Rifle season it is usually cold out, and not an issue.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool. So it sounds like I can save the $200 and 4lbs. Would it be any help to get a pack that can use an external frame, haul the pack without the frame for my daily hunts, and use the frame with a small pack to haul the meat out? If that isn't something that would be helpful, I'll skip the frame all together.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Just a day hunter here - we hunt with day packs and keep pack frames and a game cart in camp or in the truck.  My pack frame is a kelty frame with a hydration bladder pocket and a lower shelf that folds out - specifically built to pack out animal parts.  Getting an elk out on foot is going to take several trips any way you do it.  If you get an animal down, take care of it - take out what you can in your day pack, get the game cart and pack frame and head back out.

I don't like hunting with the frame - bulky and catches on branches (i.e. noisy), interferes (to a degree) with mounting your rifle.

This is the frame I use:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I plan on hunting with a rifle for my first few hunts just to give me a better chance at success while I'm learning the basics. I don't know how far from basecamp I'll be, but I don't have a problem with covering the miles to get away from everyone else.

That just made me think of something else. I guess I should figure out whether it makes more sense to camp closer to the truck and cover the miles while hunting or camp further in and hunt closer to camp.
View Quote
I did my first elk hunt in '16.  I came to the conclusion that for the area I was in (Gospel Hump Wilderness; i.e. very limited road access) the best option is to set up a based camp at the vehicle and then pack in about 5 miles and setup a spike camp to hunt from for 3-4 days at a time.

Walking in 5 miles in the morning and out again in the evening every day sucks.  To maximize prime hunting time, you'll be hiking in and out in the dark which makes it suck even more.

Much better to setup a low footprint camp in the vicinity of where you want to hunt.  Keep it tidy and hidden so as not to disturb the elk.

As for a pack, the newer internal frame options are really nice but expensive.  Another option is to get a frame hauler like the Kelty above and use it to pack in your day pack and camping gear, then ground everything at your spike camp and just carry your day pack while hunting.

If you don't have horses and road access isn't very good, keep distance in mind while hunting elk.  It's not that difficult to hike in 10 miles from the nearest trailhead when your fresh and have elk on the mind.  4-6 twnety mile round trips to pack an elk out is a different story.

It's personal preference but I don't like boning out quarters in the field.  I'll take the weight penalty for the ease of handling a bone in quarter.  In fact, I like taking my animals out in tact (but field dressed) whenever possible.  That's very rarely an option with something the size of an elk though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Get some game bags too op.  No matter what pack you get, they will help keep everything cleaner.   Even Big pillow cases work.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a Cabela's Alaskan frame with a day pack and a Kifaru Gunbearer. I can carry a whole deer out on it.

Attachment Attached File

Money gets you a much better back that doesn't do anything this one doesn't. Kill kit, water, food, first aid/emergency, lighting/tech. Whichever direction you go having a solid setup will allow you to hunt all day and deal with animals once they are down.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Mystery Ranch CrewCab
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#16]
So have you made a list of all the gear you will need, OP?

A pack is just one piece, and an inexpensive option can do plenty of work. Footwear? Probably not a place for inexpensive options. Binoculars? Should spend some money. Rain gear? Better have some of that too, and Frogg Toggs probably won't work.

Just wondering. You may have deeper pockets than I do. Our stuff gets better every year, but the first couple seasons it was pretty rough.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I use the Eberlestock X2 pack. Works great on all day hunting in the back country and can be easily made to carry out a quarter after you make the shot.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:37:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So have you made a list of all the gear you will need, OP?

A pack is just one piece, and an inexpensive option can do plenty of work. Footwear? Probably not a place for inexpensive options. Binoculars? Should spend some money. Rain gear? Better have some of that too, and Frogg Toggs probably won't work.

Just wondering. You may have deeper pockets than I do. Our stuff gets better every year, but the first couple seasons it was pretty rough.
View Quote
I’ve decided to use this year to get ready and plan my first hunt out west for next year. I know the right boots are probably the most important purchase you can make. Binoculars and probably a spotting scope are also huge. I’ve been reading up on this stuff. I just couldn’t tell about the pack frames. A lot of the stuff I’ve read has mentioned having an external frame, but I haven’t seen one in a lot of the pics.

That being said, I carried an ALICE pack enough to know I want a good pack if I’m going to be hauling gear and a dead animal. You could do a lot of work with those old ruck sacks, but you pay for it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I got ya.

To answer your initial question, yes, modern internal frame packs are awesome. Cinch down for a day pack and are designed to carry more weight than you can. Just have to spend the money. I really like my setup, but there are options that are much nicer. I use FHF for my binocular, and a Kifaru Gunbearer. I can climb with both hands, glass anytime without having them swing around, and still be able to get my rifle out quickly. I highly recommend a similar setup regardless of which pack you carry.

I am not a buy once cry once person. Taking the time to research your purchases ensures that the mid-level stuff you buy actually works is important. Have moved over a lot of miles in Keen Targhee boots. Not ideal for steep country, but a solid option for most low country hunts. Those and a pair of gaiters work well. While I would love to have a $500 pair of Schnees, that is just not happening. I guess the point I am making is that there are a lot of purchases to be made, and a bunch of less fancy, but solid options are out there. Most will not have a corresponding sticker for your truck.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got ya.

To answer your initial question, yes, modern internal frame packs are awesome. Cinch down for a day pack and are designed to carry more weight than you can. Just have to spend the money. I really like my setup, but there are options that are much nicer. I use FHF for my binocular, and a Kifaru Gunbearer. I can climb with both hands, glass anytime without having them swing around, and still be able to get my rifle out quickly. I highly recommend a similar setup regardless of which pack you carry.

I am not a buy once cry once person. Taking the time to research your purchases ensures that the mid-level stuff you buy actually works is important. Have moved over a lot of miles in Keen Targhee boots. Not ideal for steep country, but a solid option for most low country hunts. Those and a pair of gaiters work well. While I would love to have a $500 pair of Schnees, that is just not happening. I guess the point I am making is that there are a lot of purchases to be made, and a bunch of less fancy, but solid options are out there. Most will not have a corresponding sticker for your truck.
View Quote
There's another one of those things I haven't made sense of but haven't really dug into yet. What's with the gaiter recommendation? I see that everywhere. It seems like water would just come up under the bottom of the gaiter. Is there some magic that prevents it or is there some other purpose for waterproof gaiters?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#21]
They are primarily for water moving the other direction. Water follows gravity. When your pants and socks get wet it runs down into your boots which makes life suck.

I have spent my whole life in the woods. Really. And I am 48. Just started wearing gaiters last year and won't leave home without them. Even in the desert they provide protection from crap getting into your boots and laces. They really are an awesome tool. I have a low pair from Cabela's and a tall pair from some mountaineering outfit. Just overall protection and support in a really critical area.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Gaiters always for me , unless it is really warm and dry.

I learned the hard way, gore Tex boots full of water from walking thru knee deep wet grass.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They are primarily for water moving the other direction. Water follows gravity. When your pants and socks get wet it runs down into your boots which makes life suck.

I have spent my whole life in the woods. Really. And I am 48. Just started wearing gaiters last year and won't leave home without them. Even in the desert they provide protection from crap getting into your boots and laces. They really are an awesome tool. I have a low pair from Cabela's and a tall pair from some mountaineering outfit. Just overall protection and support in a really critical area.
View Quote
Oh ok. I was picturing crossing a creek with them. It didn't seem like they'd be much protection from that situation.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Gaiters are for snow and wet grass.  Wet grass soaking your pants and the tops of your socks will drench the inside of a pair of gortex boots faster than falling in a creek.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#25]
https://player.fm/series/the-western-bowhunter-podcast/wbh-ep-58-gear-and-public-lands

Here is a great podcast on gear and mentality.  Putting off hunting to buy a $500 pack, matching clothes, and expensive boots is nonsense. Hunt. This year. Deer or antelope to start. What you learn by going and doing far outweighs anything else.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://player.fm/series/the-western-bowhunter-podcast/wbh-ep-58-gear-and-public-lands

Here is a great podcast on gear and mentality.  Putting off hunting to buy a $500 pack, matching clothes, and expensive boots is nonsense. Hunt. This year. Deer or antelope to start. What you learn by going and doing far outweighs anything else.
View Quote
That is solid advice.  I know it’s not easy if you don’t live here, but I have been chasing and killing elk for years in CO.   Did fine with cheap gear and old surplus bdu for a long time.   Just go.  You probably won’t die .
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Am I understanding this correctly; you want to pack out your elk meat on a backpack?
You’re looking at probably 500-800 lbs of meat?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Am I understanding this correctly; you want to pack out your elk meat on a backpack?
View Quote
I was under the impression that’s how it’s done out there. I’m sure it would be easier with multiple people, but I’ve heard of people doing it solo.

The trips got postponed anyway. In the last 6 months I’ve torn my calf muscle, had a severe ankle sprain, and messed up my shoulder. I haven’t been able to train like I wanted.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
We do it all the time.   It is a lot of work, I bone out the quarters and it helps, but even a boned hind is a lot.  Not usually that much meat tho, more like 200/400 lbs of meat.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was under the impression that’s how it’s done out there. I’m sure it would be easier with multiple people, but I’ve heard of people doing it solo.

The trips got postponed anyway. In the last 6 months I’ve torn my calf muscle, had a severe ankle sprain, and messed up my shoulder. I haven’t been able to train like I wanted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I’ve never hunted Elk, I just assumed it was always packed out or at the minimum sleded out.
You guys are some pretty tough hombres I guess.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#31]
We use plastic sleds when there is snow, and a trail.

The deer cart things suck mostly.

Often we are far enough off trail, a pack is it.

This is your best case scenario.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#32]
This is what I'm using for a pack have 48lbs of wool blankets and sledge hammer heads in it for summer workouts. When there is snow I pull it out on a sled.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/US-Military-Molle-ACU-Large-Ruck-sack-Field-Pack-Complete-w-Frame-Pouches-VGC-/371976013996
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This is what I'm using for a pack have 48lbs of wool blankets and sledge hammer heads in it for summer workouts. When there is snow I pull it out on a sled.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/US-Military-Molle-ACU-Large-Ruck-sack-Field-Pack-Complete-w-Frame-Pouches-VGC-/371976013996
View Quote
Too funny. Bought one of these off Craigslist this summer for $25. Added a Kifaru Cargo Panel to the frame and a couple bags. Should work really well.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Too funny. Bought one of these off Craigslist this summer for $25. Added a Kifaru Cargo Panel to the frame and a couple bags. Should work really well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really like it I used the old style molle to pack a lot of elk out but I didn't like how it had the sleep system part separate so went to this
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:17:43 AM EDT
[#35]
I have two frame packs and two internal frame packs. If you are experienced in loading a heavy pack a good internal frame pack can carry as well as or better than a frame pack. A frame pack has the advantage of being able to haul unusual loads. But even at that if you are going to carry a 100lb load your pack needs to be properly designed. I have used external frame packs that sucked sweaty balls when they were loaded over 80lbs. Buy quality no matter which you choose or you will pay the price in the long run.

I would not shy away from a quality internal frame pack. The biggest advantage they offer is often carrying a load closer to your back. On a long haul that can really add up.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I really like it I used the old style molle to pack a lot of elk out but I didn't like how it had the sleep system part separate so went to this
View Quote
I had always wanted one and a local guy bought a pile and was selling them off. I just have no use for a massive bag like that. I'm always trying to make my pack smaller while still maintaining  the ability to carry 100#. This one seems pretty comfortable, and with the changes small and affordable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top