Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2022 10:23:32 PM EDT
I am more of a rifle guy and I have a couple tactical shotguns (benelli m4 & 870). Recently I have recently been looking to round out my collection and capabilities with a few hunting shotguns.

Last year I got the turkey bug so I have purchased a Franchi affinity 3 turkey in 20ga after seeing so many turkey hunters sing the praises of the 20ga TSS loads and  the lighter weight 20ga guns. I also plan to buy a 20ga O/U for dove, grouse, rabbit, quail and skeet.

All that brings me to my question……. I would like to get a semi auto 12 gauge for the occasional duck and goose hunt as well as just having a second gun that can cover all the same bases as the O/U but run heavier loads if needed. The question is will a 3” 12ga be sufficient for ducks and geese from time to time (not a serious waterfowl guy) or should I go with the 3.5”?

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I hunted ducks & geese for years with a 2-3/4 Win Model 12. It seemed to do ok.But I also have a theory. Never get between someone and a gun they want Good Luck
Mark
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s been a long time since I actively hunted anything but deer but I noticed last fall when shotgun shells were few and far between that there were some 3 1/2 in steel waterfowl shells on the shelf and no 3 in or 2 3/4 in .  I would suggest you pick up a REM 870 Mag 3 1/2 in just to have that base covered. Your anticipated use should guide your choices. If you have good access to a specific type of hunt let that be your guide. Migratory Birds means non toxic expensive hard to find shot….plan ahead.
Keep in mind you could kill all the game you can carry with a single shot 12 ga. Also look at  chamber inserts on eBay and Short Lane that can allow pistol calibers to fire in a shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:17:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I told myself I’d buy a 10g vs a 3.5” 12g
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eugunieum:
I hunted ducks & geese for years with a 2-3/4 Win Model 12. It seemed to do ok.But I also have a theory. Never get between someone and a gun they want Good Luck
Mark
View Quote

I like your style! You won’t be standing between me and a new gun.   I’m getting one, the debate is between the a 3” and 3.5” 12 gauge, I’ll add to the safe either way.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
I told myself I’d buy a 10g vs a 3.5” 12g
View Quote

I can see some of the logic there other than the added weight and lack of gun and ammo options. But a 10 gauge does have that novelty level of cool
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#6]
No you don't need a 3.5" gun for waterfowl, I have not shot one of those shells in a LONG time and still somehow manage to kill alot of ducks and geese per year.  With todays modern shells, the long 12 is really not needed (especially for the way I hunt waterfowl) and just increases your recoil.  That saying, you don't need to shoot 3.5 shells in a 3.5 chambered gun, but you always have the option if needed.  I hunt with both a Benelli M1 S90 and SBE and a Beretta 20ga.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
It’s been a long time since I actively hunted anything but deer but I noticed last fall when shotgun shells were few and far between that there were some 3 1/2 in steel waterfowl shells on the shelf and no 3 in or 2 3/4 in .  I would suggest you pick up a REM 870 Mag 3 1/2 in just to have that base covered. Your anticipated use should guide your choices. If you have good access to a specific type of hunt let that be your guide. Migratory Birds means non toxic expensive hard to find shot….plan ahead.
Keep in mind you could kill all the game you can carry with a single shot 12 ga. Also look at  chamber inserts on eBay and Short Lane that can allow pistol calibers to fire in a shotgun.
View Quote

Thank you for all the input! I will say an 870 is not in the running for this particular slot in the safe. More than likely going to get a Franchi Affinity 12ga the debate is mainly between the 3 or 3.5” model. I am going to look at a few other brands before I make the final decision though
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By VTDuckGuy:
No you don't need a 3.5" gun for waterfowl, I have not shot one of those shells in a LONG time and still somehow manage to kill alot of ducks and geese per year.  With todays modern shells, the long 12 is really not needed (especially for the way I hunt waterfowl) and just increases your recoil.  That saying, you don't need to shoot 3.5 shells in a 3.5 chambered gun, but you always have the option if needed.  I hunt with both a Benelli M1 S90 and SBE and a Beretta 20ga.

View Quote

So do you lean towards the 3” since the 3.5” isn’t necessary or towards the 3.5” just to keep the door open?
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SoVa:

So do you lean towards the 3" since the 3.5" isn't necessary or towards the 3.5" just to keep the door open?
View Quote
I guess if the price is similar and the gun fits you I would go with the 3.5.  I figure it is better to have it and not use it, especially if it is your main/only hunting gun, like I said it has probably been close to 15 years since I shot a 3.5 shell, but I have an option to.  If there is a huge difference in price, and that means something to you, I would be happy with the 3" and not look back.

Last summer I bought an identical M1 Super 90, just to have parts compatibility, I did not get a matching SBE as the M1 is my "go to gun"
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Need?  No.  Nice to have?  Yes.
1.  Get a semi-auto from one of the high quality brands.  Pumps generate way too much recoil.  beretta, benelli, browning/winchester, Franchi.  Skip the mossbergs, remingtons, etc.
2.  Pattern.  Doesn't matter what gun/ammo/choke you use, you should know how your gun performs.  You might be content with a load of 2 3/4" 6's or a 3 1/2" BB for your application.

I shoot plenty of 3.5" in larger shot sizes for ducks and geese every fall and for snow geese in the spring.  I also shoot plenty of ducks and geese with 2 3/4" steel 6's and 4's.  I select my ammo based on the hunting style and also how windy it will be.  Unpressured birds decoying tight in a small water hole?  2 3/4" light loads.  30 MPH winds in a SD cornfield with mallards that have been hunted for 2 weeks?  3.5" 2's.  Pass shooting snow geese?  3.5" BB.  decoying snow geese?  3" 1's.  Just depends.  
I'll continue to shoot a fair amount of 3.5" loads, as about 50% of the cases of steel shot I've got left are 3.5", mainly bought for pennies on the dollar from walmart clearance sales.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes
They are awesome
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I use 3.5" BB for geese.  I don't shoot 3.5" at ducks.

One of my hunting partners uses 3" #4 steel for geese.  He knocks down a lot more birds than I do.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

This hits the mark. I have an original Benelli SBE and never use 3.5 anymore.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to use my SBE2 with 3.5 buckshot for coyotes.
Mine is a 26” barrel and it just fits me well and swings great. I sold my 28” M2 because they were so close in feel. Now I can use anything in terms of shells for any animal or clays game.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Ignore everyone saying no availability of 3-1/2 shells

Plenty of it can be found and I’ve been able to order cases of it ever since I picked up my A400.

Get the 3-1/2 gun
Shoot 3 inch shells
Use 3-1/2’s when you need them
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JustinRyan:
Ignore everyone saying no availability of 3-1/2 shells

Plenty of it can be found and I’ve been able to order cases of it ever since I picked up my A400.

Get the 3-1/2 gun
Shoot 3 inch shells
Use 3-1/2’s when you need them
View Quote

I agree. I have a super x2 in 3.5 and I can shoot any size shell i want for the situation.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I use a Super Vinci because it fits me well and don’t care about shooting 3.5 inchers
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:20:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VeritatisUnus] [#18]
3” with Bismuth (BOSS) is great for waterfowl, 3” steel works too.  However, I still like 3.5” for when it’s the only thing on the shelf. The general wisdom is 3.5” will pattern worse because of the long shot column, and while that may be true to an extent, I have found that load/choke combinations (like always) is what’s more important. I have produced some really nice patterning 3.5” loads.

I would summarize it like this: 3” is fine. 3.5” just adds another ammo option based on availability.

I did shoot a duck last year at easily 60+ yards with a 3.5” TSS turkey load… but that’s not the point here. ;)

ETA: Get a semi for recoil reduction. I shoot a Benelli SBE3 and love it. Really love it. A pump will beat the shit out of you with stiff loads, I shot a Mossberg 835 for 15 years before I splurged.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By VeritatisUnus:

ETA: Get a semi for recoil reduction. I shoot a Benelli SBE3 and love it. Really love it. A pump will beat the shit out of you with stiff loads, I shot a Mossberg 835 for 15 years before I splurged.
View Quote

This is the way.

I shot 3 boxes of mixed 3.5" 2's and BB last saturday on snows.  Never once bothered by recoil, and at least a half dozen times I shot 7 or 8 times per flock in rapid succession.  SX2/SX3/SX4/Gold/Maxus gas system really takes the recoil out of shooting heavy loads.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I have always had shotguns. I hunted waterfowl, while a young buck, with a Remington 870 2 3/4". The duck and geese seemed to drop from the sky just fine. That said, I have never had an itch to have a 12 gauge larger than the 3" variety I own. I'd have to think the recoil of that scatter gun would be worse than my Remington Model 700 with 200gr 338 RUM.

GBB
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I hunted many years with a super-mag loaded with 3.5 #3s for everything, now I have a Silver and use 3" #3s for everything. My body likes it better, I accidentally handed my super-mag with 3.5 BBs to my youth duck hunter last fall, I was goose hunting and forgot I had 3.5s, we had swimmers @40 yards and my smaller break action seemed out of range. He handled it well and his dad got a good laugh.
Can't wait for bird season.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:50:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buckshot_jim] [#22]

View Quote

Heavy 3.5 inch magnum waterfowl loads have almost twice the recoil of big magnum rifles such as 338 win mag etc. I agree with every word this man says. Personally I use 2 3/4 #5 Boss shotshells until late season and then switch to 3 inch #3 Boss. I am a duck and Sandhill crane guide in the fall and winter. I hunted 71 days last year. 3.5 inch shells will cause more misses than hits IMO.
ETA: I use a Beretta A400 Extreme Plus with Muller chokes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#23]
A 3.5 in a O/U is a bruiser. In a beretta or Benelli it’s not a big deal.

I like my Super Black Eagle 3.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#24]
How is a 10 gauge compared to the 3.5”?  Just curious.  Obviously I’ve done no research on the subject.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I have seen a couple recent replies in this thread so I thought I would update those of you that shared your thoughts. Since posting this thread I have purchased a Benelli m2 12ga and Tristar trinity 16ga, those with my Franchi affinity turkey pretty much cover all my hunting shotgun needs.

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#28]
No.

Every single hunter I know that owns a 3.5" shoots 3" only through them. In fact, one of the older guys stepped down to a 20ga, and is having good success.

Link Posted: 10/10/2023 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SoVa:
I have seen a couple recent replies in this thread so I thought I would update those of you that shared your thoughts. Since posting this thread I have purchased a Benelli m2 12ga and Tristar trinity 16ga, those with my Franchi affinity turkey pretty much cover all my hunting shotgun needs.

View Quote

Benelli M2 is "the" shotgun to have in my opinion. Congrats on a great purchase. You'll get so many years and memories out of that gun you won't know where to start with retelling them.  I've been using Benellis (M1, M2, M3) since January 1994, and will never be without one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Benelli M2 is where it’s at…. Good choice.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I’m assuming you have purchased by now, but….

I bought a 3.5 just to have it. I killed lots of waterfowl with 3.5s, and 3s as well. Where my 3.5 shines is with turkey loads. I tried a BUNCH, plus several chokes. I found it is an absolute monster with a particular choke and particular 3.5” turkey load. However it sucks with 3” turkey loads.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Plus nothing says I hate you more than cutting loose 3 1/2 buckshot loads in rapid succession.
Ideal for hunting coyotes with dogs.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 2:54:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 1245xx:
How is a 10 gauge compared to the 3.5"?  Just curious.  Obviously I've done no research on the subject.
View Quote

Makes 12ga look like 20ga.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Attachment Attached File

Only reason I picked up another 3.5" was all this for $200.
Slug barrel is rifled and 6 chokes.
I have been reloading some #2 1.5 oz Bismuth and it works well out to 60 yards for geese.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#35]
You don't need a 3.5" gun. It's not even nice to have as an option, it's just useless. You can turn a Canada inside out with a 3" load of bbs or 2s. You're not getting any extra range, you're just getting extra cost and recoil. And 3.5" gas guns tend not to work well with 2-3/4" shells, so it's kinda useless for shooting clays or doves. They were a stopgap measure when steel shot became mandated for waterfowl hunting, but that gap has been closed by new higher performing steel or heavy metal loads.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#36]
sort of lost it's reason (which came from Federal requirements for non-toxic shot for waterfowl hunting & the use of steel shot which was not dense as lead so larger pellets which took up more volume for equal throw weight thus the 3.5")

Today, not many waterfowlers or Turkey hunters still use 3.5" since more effective non-toxic loads like bismith & tungsten are available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top