Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2021 3:22:14 PM EDT
https://www.dewalt.com/products/outdoor/chainsaws/20v-max-xr-compact-12-in-cordless-chainsaw-tool-only/dccs620b

Somebody got my this chainsaw as a gift , and I just want to make sure I get the correct Stihl 2 in 1 file/sharpener for it.  The specs listed on the Dewalt website show the pitch as "3/8".  Stihl offers 2 different 2 in 1 file/sharpeners in 3/8 pitch (standard and "P" which I believe is for low pitch).  I know my Dewalt 20v pole saw uses the 3/8 "P" chain and sharpener, which I already have.  My Husqy chainsaw uses the 0.325" pitch, so I'm really hoping I don't need to buy a third Stihl 2 in 1, lol.    (When I went to the replacement chain on Dewalt's website:
https://www.dewalt.com/products/outdoor/chainsaws/12-in-chainsaw-replacement-chain/dwo1dt612, I didn't see specs listed, but when I looked at the specs on the replacement bar (https://www.dewalt.com/products/outdoor/chainsaws/12-in-chainsaw-replacement-bar/dwzcsb12) it did say "Low profile", so that leads me to believe the chainsaw uses the "P" version of the 3/8.)

Thank you.

Edit - fixed links
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know, but relevant to my interests.
I got one for my birthday last year, used it several times, including a couple decent trees. Great little lightweight saw for limbing.
I keep it in a toolbox in the back of my FJ with an extra battery, in case a tree goes down across the road or something.
Make sure and store it on its side like below if you don't want oil everywhere

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Need to look up the chain,  the file size will be dictated by the cutter not the chain pitch.

ETA;  that small of a chain will probably be 5/32" ETA#2 looks to be 3/16"
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
This is how to determine the 'pitch' of the chain.  If you're using a file tool, buy Pferd instead of Stihl, they are a German company who's been selling sharpening files to Stihl for generations.

Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#6]
It should use the same sharpener as your pole saw. The P calls out "Picco", which I believe is their callout for narrow kerf, lo-pro "small saw" chain.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Bailey's should have what you need in their chainsaw chain filing kits and guides.

They carry a wide assortment of files too.

I have the Granberg File-N-Joint filing guide.

Others, swear by the Pferd, the Sthil 2 in 1 filing guide looks to be made by Pferd.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
The "P" stands for PICCO which is how Stihl identifies their low-profile 3/8" pitch chain.  It's typically found on one-handed saws designed to be used in the tree.  

And don't follow any generic guides on file size.  For regular 3/8" pitch, Oregon mostly uses a 7/32' file, while Stihl uses a 13/64.  Of course, once you filed it for a while, it won't matter much.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Tag for later reading
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Searching Oregon Chain it looks like your saw takes 90PX chain.

Per TreeStuff

Description

90PX chain is part of a Micro-Lite™ narrow-kerf cutting system that requires less power from the saw to cut than standard cutting systems.90PX is a .043" gauge narrow kerf chain found on smaller chainsaws. 90PX chain is 3/8" pitch, .043" gauge (1.1mm), low profile. 90PX will fit saws using Stihl 61 PM chains. Sharpens with a 5/32" round file or 1/8" grinding wheel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top