Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2020 1:36:05 AM EDT
Hello all

I'm looking for a good quality headlamp to be used mainly to walk to and from my deer stand but secondarily for general tasks around my house. I started looking at the Fenix HM50R and the Zebralight H32. I'm not really excited about buying Cr123a's, but in reality it would only be a few every year and the Fenix provides a rechargeable option.

The zebralight website has the H32 listed as back order but they have a lot of H600 models on sale. This led me to thinking that maybe now is a good time to make the jump. I don't currently have any lithium-ions but I've read some stuff and and comfortable with the risks but have a couple of questions.

1- How do these cells handle short term storage in high or low temperatures? Basically it will stay in my hunting pack. This pack is normally kept in the house but could be left in my truck for a day or two during the season. This could lead to extremely high temps in August and low 20s at night in December. This isn't a practice, but could happen.

2- At what temperature (low end) will I start having performance issues? Again, I could be hunting in the 20's.

What do you all think? Should I go with the H600 or stick with the CR123A lights? Is there another light you recommend that I haven't mentioned?
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 1:50:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Petzl

The zebra looks good if weight isn't a huge issue but oz on your head are very noticeable
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:07:36 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.zebralight.com/H53w-AA-Headlamp-Neutral-White_p_197.html

Using eneloops (NiMH)

Or a neutral white h600

This says that nimh do better than lion in cold temps- saying they are good down to -5.  It sounds like temps in the 20s shouldn’t be an issue for either nimh or lion.

https://www.batteryuniverse.com/help/battery-chemistries

Zebralight makes some of the lightest and most efficient headlamps out there.  Those are the two most important things I look for in a headlamp along with a warm tint.  I don’t think they can be beaten.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/headlamp/zebralight-h600w-mk-iv
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:18:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I've used Black Diamond Re-Volts for years, in all kinds of conditions. They hold up. Swap the batteries when they stop holding a good charge.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out the Sofirn SP40.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Petzl

I prefer AAA but also have some 2032 because they fit in the pocket really easy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I started converting my hurricane lighting to AA Eneloops after the 2004 season and the Black Diamond Icon series was just upgrading their format... I bought one of the older models at close out...at the time there were not too many options for AA

the battery compartment on the rear balances pretty well... it has served well since purchased, but there are a lot of options today
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Can’t go wrong with a zebralight AA light.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had good experiences with the Black Diamond Storm and Black Diamond Spot.

Also just bought this Streamlight for the car:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078BHZQHF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still waiting for it to show up but will give an update.

Edit: The linked light is only IPX4 rated, so water resistant. When hunting, at least around here, I would probably pay more for something waterproof.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for the zebralight.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been rocking these as primary headlamps for about a year https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B51NRPH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_i3xyFbT64T53W

Rechargeable, solid battery life, and white and red light.  Even using them in my off grid place I only charged one every week or so, either from a battery bank or solar.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 12:07:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't buy any light that uses a non-replaceable, or proprietary battery.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I would seriously consider something that takes 18650 Li-Ion batteries (single battery lights aren't too bulky or heavy).  I used a couple of Army-Tek lights in Afghanistan, left one in my truck a few times with 100+degree temps in the summer and single digits in the winter.  I have three of these headlamps and they have been used the most with zero issues.

I have a few Zebra lights, but not their 18650 models.  They're all quite solid.  I had one failure of a CR123 model and they replaced it.  They are lighter, but the Army-Tek (and I assume the Olight) headlamps are extremely robust and well-tested.  

I recently added Olight's headlamp in 18650 and like it as well so far.  Best features of the Army-Tek are the moonlight modes as you can really have a low-output to avoid lighting up your cab, digging through your pack, etc.  Some of these higher voltage headlamps can heat up as they aren't really big enough for an efficient heat-sink, so those lower output modes are critical if you plan to actually wear it and hike or work with it during extended periods.  I actually prefer the lock-out method for the Olight as the Army-Tek requires you to unscrew the end cap (my least favorite feature).

They're well worth the investment and I just carry a spare battery and rotate/charge on a routine basis.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had good experiences with the Black Diamond Storm and Black Diamond Spot.

Also just bought this Streamlight for the car:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078BHZQHF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still waiting for it to show up but will give an update.

Edit: The linked light is only IPX4 rated, so water resistant. When hunting, at least around here, I would probably pay more for something waterproof.
View Quote

Just got it and tried it out. No lock function but plenty bright and, if it's built anything like other Streamlight offerings, pretty solid. $23.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Petzel with lithium AAA's.  

I have three, scattered through kits.  My main bag headlight sits in my truck, with wintertime conditions well below zero.  I swap them once a year and haven't had any issues yet.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 12:27:04 AM EDT
[#15]
If you decide to go with a 18650-compatible light, the WOWTAC A2S is almost unbeatable for the price.

The only major downside is that it doesn't accept non-rechargeable CR123's as an alternative battery.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 1:23:25 AM EDT
[#16]
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/178505/black-diamond-spot-325-headlamp

Waterproof 325 lumen for $20+shipping
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#17]
So far i have had good luck with energizer,petzl and coast headlamps.
All take aa or aaa batteries which are easy for me to get.

Also like the energizer headlamp that turns on to red first so i do not ruin my night vision.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/178505/black-diamond-spot-325-headlamp

Waterproof 325 lumen for $20+shipping
View Quote

NLA

I picked up the current version for ~$30 from Bass Pro a while back. So far, so good.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Suggest some general characteristics:  Waterproof, "Moonlight" low-output mode, simple controls able to be manipulated with gloved hands, and able to accept  non-proprietary batts, both standard and rechargeable.  Warranty and Customer Service from mfr/vendor certainly worth consideration.

Something not mentioned above is the suitability of the light to be worn in conjunction with a cap or other suitable hat, or even hood.  This can be useful in rain/snow.

Some lights, intended for very long running times, or use in extremely cold weather, have remote battery packs of various capacities which are connected to the headlight by a wire.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Suggest some general characteristics:  Waterproof, "Moonlight" low-output mode, simple controls able to be manipulated with gloved hands, and able to accept  non-proprietary batts, both standard and rechargeable.  Warranty and Customer Service from mfr/vendor certainly worth consideration.

Something not mentioned above is the suitability of the light to be worn in conjunction with a cap or other suitable hat, or even hood.  This can be useful in rain/snow.

Some lights, intended for very long running times, or use in extremely cold weather, have remote battery packs of various capacities which are connected to the headlight by a wire.
View Quote
Good points raf.

I have a headlamp with the long wire to the battery compartment.
It is the type dog mushers use. Sucker is bright and can go through batteries.
Do not use it but once a year if at all.

Since i wear glasses i use my headlamps with a baseball cap because of the light reflection into my glasses.

Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Eneloops in a AA Zebralight is the answer you seek.

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#22]
All the headlamps mentioned here are great.  I look at 2 considerations with headlamps.

-Batteries.  Lithium Ions work better in the cold, and I don't know where VIR is.  I like batteries that can be changed, not necessarily recharged.  In the cold you'll eat batteries like food, 'specially if you're a night walker.
-Flood vs Throw.  I like a headlamp that generally provides flood, but has an intense momentary Throw.  That strong throw will save you steps at night when you come to a braided trail.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had the Fenix HL50 for a few years now. I have a lot of CR123's, and it can run a looong time on one. It also has a AA adapter, with reduced lume. I like that I can just pop it off the headband and use it for a pocket light if I want. I've actually not bought new lights over the last few years after discovering how useful headlamps are.

Link Posted: 10/20/2020 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
All the headlamps mentioned here are great.  I look at 2 considerations with headlamps.

-Batteries.  Lithium Ions work better in the cold, and I don't know where VIR is.  I like batteries that can be changed, not necessarily recharged.  In the cold you'll eat batteries like food, 'specially if you're a night walker.
-Flood vs Throw.  I like a headlamp that generally provides flood, but has an intense momentary Throw.  That strong throw will save you steps at night when you come to a braided trail.
View Quote
I have not had good luck with lithium batters in the cold.
The standard batteries work the best for me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have not had good luck with lithium batters in the cold.
The standard batteries work the best for me.
View Quote

Alkaline batteries use a water-based electrolyte system, so once temps drop below freezing, so does their performance.  NiMH batteries such as ENE-loop don't fair much better.

Regular (non-rechargeable, CR123) Lithium batteries are typically the best choice for a wider range of temperature extremes (-40 degrees up to 140 degrees).  Sure, not all batteries are manufactured to the same standards, but a quality, reputable manufacturer of CR123 batteries offer the best performance for extreme temperatures.

Getting into the various Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries, the best chemistry I've found is Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistries do better, but there is just an enormous variation and inconsistent manufacturing of lithium ion cells that it's hard to nail it down.  So, if I'm looking for a single 18650 battery headlamp or light, I also want to make sure it can run off two CR123 batteries...or just go with a CR123 light if I'm doing camping/hiking in temps below freezing.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Alkaline batteries use a water-based electrolyte system, so once temps drop below freezing, so does their performance.  NiMH batteries such as ENE-loop don't fair much better.

Regular (non-rechargeable, CR123) Lithium batteries are typically the best choice for a wider range of temperature extremes (-40 degrees up to 140 degrees).  Sure, not all batteries are manufactured to the same standards, but a quality, reputable manufacturer of CR123 batteries offer the best performance for extreme temperatures.

Getting into the various Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries, the best chemistry I've found is Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistries do better, but there is just an enormous variation and inconsistent manufacturing of lithium ion cells that it's hard to nail it down.  So, if I'm looking for a single 18650 battery headlamp or light, I also want to make sure it can run off two CR123 batteries...or just go with a CR123 light if I'm doing camping/hiking in temps below freezing.

ROCK6
View Quote
I tried the cr123 batteries with little luck in the cold. Tried surefire brand.
Had to keep them close to my skin.
At least with the plain batteries I do not have to keep them as warm to worm.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top