Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2021 12:14:06 AM EDT
...but I'm clueless. I'm using hamexam.org to study. Since it's basically memorization I'm confident I can get through that part.

I know nothing about hardware. I'm a Jeeper so I'm mainly looking for better backcountry comms. Something handheld would probably be best so I could use it in the Jeep or tow rig. I already use a CB and have no problem mounting another antenna. Something portable for the truck would be great but semi-permanent is fine too.

Are there any other resources like Ham for dummies or something to look for?

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:17:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have any friends or off-road group acquaintances for example that use amateur radio currently? If so you might get with them to see what their current capabilities are to sort of guide your goals initially.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Handhelds (Handie Talkies or HT's) run about 4 to 5 watts output.  Mobile transceivers run about 25 to 75 watts output depending on the model.  That and a good antenna will make all the difference in being able to communicate with someone or hit a repeater when you need to.

Stick with the brand names.  Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom, Alinco, maybe a few others.  If it sounds Chinese and costs less than $50 new then avoid it.  Given the current ionospheric conditions until you upgrade to at least a General license you're going to be effectively limited to VHF and UHF.  That's the market the Chinese are trying to flood with cheap stuff.  And they are being rather successful because money talks.  A Chinese BaoFeng HT is about $12 while a Yaesu FT-60R is about $154.  You get what you pay for.

Good antennas are not small.  Even on VHF a 1/4 wave antenna will be about 20" long and a half-wave about twice that.  The little "Rubber Duckie" antennas on all the HT's are wound wire to simulate a quarter-wave antenna but they are not as efficient.  When / If you get into HF be ready for some really big numbers in antenna length or height.  We all have to deal with it.

Welcome to the club.  **THIS** site is a good resource!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:46:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Just decide what you want out of the ability/hobby/knowledge. The communication capability is there, within reason, but for off roading if no one else is a ham it will be sort of pointless. They could listen, but not respond to you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:31:43 AM EDT
[#4]
To answer a couple questions, the offroad community is moving more and more to Ham. I think it is inevitable with the cheap Chinese stuff flooding the market that the Ham will replace CB as the standard and it will happen quickly when it does.

There are a couple of people in my Jeep club now that are and that is what finally pushed me over the edge. I will certainly pick their brains about what type of hardware.

I'm mainly concerned about having something that had more range than CB when there is no cell coverage. I'm in Utah and cell is simply nonexistent in areas we travel.

It sounds like a handheld won't have to power to be effective at all so some type of head unit similar to a CB will be a better option. As for antenna, my CB antenna is mounted on the rear corner of the tub. I can mount another antenna on the opposite corner. I'd have about 3' of height before it cleared the fiberglass top. Is that something that is possible to work with? I'm pretty sure I've seen Ham(?) antennas around that size mounted on vehicles.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#5]
A Baofeng UV-5R Is THE BEST Radio You Can Buy And I Will Prove It - The UV5R Is The Best Ham Radio

Whats The Difference Between HAM and GMRS? GMRS VS HAM VS CB Radio - Why GMRS Is Better Than HAM
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I was in the same boat as you a month ago. Study and get your Tech and General licensees. YouTube has lots of hams doing great videos. Ham Radio Crash Course is a good one.  People have different opinions,  but there is some consistency that will help you. I’m setting up my first station and you will see the discussion in the HOA thread I created. Good luck and don’t be shy asking questions.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#7]
For occasional use in a mobile installation, the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) rule should definitely apply. Avoid the bells, whistles, coon-tails and fancy stuff. You want sometning that is easy to set up and operate, without having to tie it to a computer to get it programmed.

Don't let the power output be the deciding factor. The difference between 35 and 75 Watts will be barely perceptable on the S-meter. Increasing power by 4X only gets you an extra S-unit.

Most likely you'll want a 2 Meter single-band radio, but this will be determined by what others in your group are using.

Stick to the name brands and forget that ChiCom crap. Out in the wilderness is no place to find out you bought a piece of junk. Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu and Alinco are all good.
Kenwood's TM-281 is a good one, rugged, simple to operate. So is the Icom 2300. Personally, I like the 281's front-firing speaker. The Icom may need an external speaker to be heard in a noisy environment.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#8]
One of the things to seriously consider while you'r brain is in the study mode is to go for AT LEAST a General class license.

Many General questions are a rehash of Tech questions.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Do we really need this in every thread? I think it's half your posts on the board.

Quoted:
...but I'm clueless. I'm using hamexam.org to study. Since it's basically memorization I'm confident I can get through that part.

I know nothing about hardware. I'm a Jeeper so I'm mainly looking for better backcountry comms.

Who are you trying to talk to?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#10]

I went with gmrs. Mainly due to just talking to family up the road with no interest in ham, plus no test and no ham people who are trying to convert you to their wierd radio religion.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I went with gmrs. Mainly due to just talking to family up the road with no interest in ham, plus no test and no ham people who are trying to convert you to their wierd radio religion.
View Quote

Congratulations on finding a radio solution that works for you.
Ham radio is like any other hobby, not a religion. You can be as involved as you like.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why do y'all even come in here? It just becomes y'all bashing ham radio. If you want to be a ham, be one. If not, don't. I've never seen anyone bad mouth folks who decide that CB, FRS or GMRS works for them. Most everyone I know locally does all of it to some extent, radio is radio. Hell if they put up GMRS repeaters locally like some ham clubs(gasp!) plan to do, I'm gonna get that too.

Some of you say we, hams, have a chip when in reality it is you all with the chip.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I went with gmrs. Mainly due to just talking to family up the road with no interest in ham, plus no test and no ham people who are trying to convert you to their weird radio religion.
View Quote

Have you heard about our lord and savior, HAAT?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do we really need this in every thread? I think it's half your posts on the board.

Who are you trying to talk to?
View Quote

At least my post got some info

KNOCK IT OFF!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#15]

ENOUGH WITH THE BICKERING

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm in Utah and cell is simply nonexistent in areas we travel.
View Quote

Yep, I understand fully.  Where in Utah are you?  I have a Yaesu FT-2980R in my truck.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:08:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't just memorize questions and answers. Google arrl. They are the umbrella organization of ham radio. Get their study guide(s) for tech AND general.  Lots of info that could do you some good.
 About those little 5 watt HT's, it's all line if sight transmission and receiving.  They use them for satellite rx/tx. So distance is not an issue.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Lol, I'm not giving your bullshit videos any views. If you think the baofeng is the best radio ever, well you don't know shit about radios. If GMRS works for you, that is great. It is all some folks need or want.
View Quote

Videos not mine. Posted not for you. Your ego makes you sound like a
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep, I understand fully.  Where in Utah are you?  I have a Yaesu FT-2980R in my truck.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111848/4296759C-A25C-4DEC-91A3-13BEA38A9779_jpe-1843089.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in Utah and cell is simply nonexistent in areas we travel.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111848/4296759C-A25C-4DEC-91A3-13BEA38A9779_jpe-1843089.JPG
I'm in Herriman. We spend a lot of time in the swell, Moab area, west desert, Hanksville, etc. You know, all those big gaps in cell coverage maps. The funs doesn't start until the cell service ends.

That radio is one that is recommended a lot. I'm thinking of a mobile mount in the Jeep and a handheld. Maybe add one to the truck as well or just use the handheld with an external antenna or something.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Also, I'm watching W4EEY's videos on Facebook. He is covering the book very well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't just memorize questions and answers. Google arrl. They are the umbrella organization of ham radio. Get their study guide(s) for tech AND general.  Lots of info that could do you some good.
 About those little 5 watt HT's, it's all line if sight transmission and receiving.  They use them for satellite rx/tx. So distance is not an issue.
View Quote

ARRL bookstore
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know about your particular area, but I do know about 4 wheeling communications. It's likely you have a number of repeaters in your area.

You can find repeaters here:

RepeaterBook

For an off road rig I would want a VHF 2m mobile with a vehicle mounted antenna. Most repeaters tend to be 2m. If you have a number of UHF (70cm) repeaters in your area then I'd get a dual band mobile radio. IMO there are only 3 brands to consider: Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom. I'm a Yaesu fan, but they are the Ford/Chevy/Chrysler of the radio world.

2M 144 MHz Transceiver Yaesu FT-2980R

Icom 2m Transceiver IC-2300H

Kenwood Dual-Band Transceiver TM-V71A

There a ton of options for antennas for your application.

In addition, I would get 1 or 2 handheld transceivers (HT's) to go with your mobile. I would choose the same brand and frequency capabilities as your mobile radio and/or your group. I would stick with the same brand myself only because there is a learning curve to the radio operation and often the menus and terminology are similar.

Yaesu HT FT-60R

Icom 2m HT Transceiver IC-V86

Kenwood HT TH-D74A

I think a 2m setup is adequate, but if you have a lot of 70cm repeaters in your area I would consider dual band. 70cm also bounces off mountains and canyon walls better, so may work better if you're in a hole.

This will get you started. If you want true long range capability I would get a HF mobile rig and field deployable antenna. IMO the HF radio are too much to deal with from the driver seat and vehicle mounted antennas are often fragile for wheeling and a compromise performance wise.

Portable/Moble HF Radios:

Smallest

Yaesu FT-981

Largest, barely portable, but does have carry handle

Kenwood TS-590SG

Most popular HF radio right now

Icom IC-7300

This radio has U/VHF built in, so you could possibly forgo the mobile mounted radio and mount this instead. I still wouldn't bother with a vehicle mounted HF antenna.

Yaesu FT-991A

Example of field deployable HF Antenna Setup:

MFJ-1910 33' Telescopic Fiberglass Pole

6M-80M 100W HF Dipole

I have recently got back into ham radio and have been doing a ton of research. This month I have bought a FT-991A, TS-590SG and a used FT-857D. Love the Yaesu's.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#23]
What is 76cm?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What is 76cm?
View Quote

sorry meant 70cm, will correct
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:04:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What is 76cm?
View Quote

About 30 inches
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:04:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think a 2m setup is adequate, but if you have a lot of 70cm repeaters in your area I would consider dual band. 70cm also bounces off mountains and canyon walls better, so may work better if you're in a hole.

View Quote
This is significant. Around here we are just as likely to be in a canyon as not. Also a lot of hard, flat canyon walls and cliffs to bounce signals off. Sounds like dual band is definitely the way to go for me.

Leaning towards the *cough* Baofeng *cough* HT right now. Seems like an inexpensive way to get started. Also gives me an option in multiple vehicles. I'll look to add a mobile unit in the Jeep if it proves useful to what we do.

We're going to be in one of the more remote areas we travel in a couple weeks. I'll check repeaters while we are there with the repeaterbook app.

As a side note, likely taking the technician test online tomorrow. W4EEY's videos pulled the curtain back for me and I feel like I have a really good handle on it. Been through all the test bank questions on hamexam.org and rarely missing questions on the flash cards. We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:00:51 AM EDT
[#27]
The China crap kinda works, but it's crap. And a PITA. Mine are collecting dust. PM me your address and I'll send them to you. For me it's not worth the mental anguish and energy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:49:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't get it, my Chinese radios are working well. I use them alot.  

Take the free radio offer, OP.  Depending on type/model, it'll at least get you started.  Can't lose.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The China crap kinda works, but it's crap. And a PITA. Mine are collecting dust. PM me your address and I'll send them to you. For me it's not worth the mental anguish and energy.
View Quote
Wow. That is a great offer. PM sent. I might come to the same conclusion but at least it is something to play around with. This place is the best.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This place is the best.
View Quote

We try.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wow. That is a great offer. PM sent. I might come to the same conclusion but at least it is something to play around with. This place is the best.
View Quote

I hope you take whatever you would have spent on BF and buy you a FT-2980R.

This stuff will go out priority mail tomorrow. There's a mic and programming cable in there as well.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This stuff will go out priority mail tomorrow. There's a mic and programming cable in there as well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/4A8A2279-7242-40DF-A0FB-260355A92575-1845056.jpg
View Quote

If I knew you had a B5 I'd have been in line
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
They'll get you going cheap and see if it's something you want to do. But if you stay in it, you'll walk away from them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/4A8A2279-7242-40DF-A0FB-260355A92575-1845056.jpg

No doubt, the OP lucked out!  UV-B5 is actually a good radio in that class.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Passed my tech test tonight. 100% Should have a license in the next day or two. Wish I'd have studied for the general. Tried it afterwards and it didn't go too well. Oh well. Wasn't planning on that yet anyway.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Good job!
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Congrats
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:26:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Nice!
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:50:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Not to discourage you in your HAM Path (congrats by the way) but most of the off road groups i know of are using GMRS.  Sure, there's some intersection.

Are you sure you're not hamstringing (lol pun) yourself by only installing an amateur dual band radio?

Yes, you could MARS mod your amateur dual band radio.  But... there are issues with that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:48:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Passed my tech test tonight. 100% Should have a license in the next day or two. Wish I'd have studied for the general. Tried it afterwards and it didn't go too well. Oh well. Wasn't planning on that yet anyway.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In case anyone was wondering, radios showed up today. Can't thank you enough for sending free radios to a total internet stranger. I really appreciate it.
KJ7VIV
(Am I doing this right)

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 3:14:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In case anyone was wondering, radios showed up today. Can't thank you enough for sending free radios to a total internet stranger. I really appreciate it.
KJ7VIV
(Am I doing this right)

https://i.imgur.com/ZSNBC94.jpg

View Quote

niiiice!
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#44]
OP, looking forward to your progress.  Keep us appraised of how things go.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Way to pay it forward tyrex13!!!!  Good job!
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
One of the things to seriously consider while you'r brain is in the study mode is to go for AT LEAST a General class license.

Many General questions are a rehash of Tech questions.

View Quote

What's funny is I have been studying my fucking ass off for a month and I barely make 75% on the tests.

Unless this shit is physically in front of me and you are showing me the why, how, and because, I don't understand nor get it.

I almost didn't make it out of high school because of "standardized" testing fucking memorizing stupid shit.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#48]
If that is the case just keep drilling the tests to pass.  Take all the test questions and do the drill down areas on your week subjects on hamstudy.

If you don’t know why you will still learn the answers to pass the tests,  is it the best way?  Probably not but it is a way.

A lot of it once you pass the test you will never touch unless you get into building kits and repairing old out of date gear.

To operate you need only to learn the rules of the road.

ETA Just my two cents, I cannot say I will retain the electrical theory knowledge deeply.  some of it.  The other stuff like the unit components in the radios stick a little bit.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What's funny is I have been studying my fucking ass off for a month and I barely make 75% on the tests.

Unless this shit is physically in front of me and you are showing me the why, how, and because, I don't understand nor get it.

I almost didn't make it out of high school because of "standardized" testing fucking memorizing stupid shit.
View Quote

While I do not know your studying methods, you might consider HamsTestOnline (https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/).  They are proven and have a 100% refund if you fail the test.  Their online teaching methods incorporate the use of colors (a proven strategy), emphasis on areas tested, and easy-to-understand learning modules.  They actually teach you the material in an easy learning format that keeps track of your weak areas.  Many of their students don't even bother taking their practice tests and instead just focus on the material.  Matter-of-fact, their suggestion is exactly that, to focus on the material.

Edit:  eham.net speaks volumes as to their process and student's successes... https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=3412
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

While I do not know your studying methods, you might consider HamsTestOnline (https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/).  They are proven and have a 100% refund if you fail the test.  Their online teaching methods incorporate the use of colors (a proven strategy), emphasis on areas tested, and easy-to-understand learning modules.  They actually teach you the material in an easy learning format that keeps track of your weak areas.  Many of their students don't even bother taking their practice tests and instead just focus on the material.  Matter-of-fact, their suggestion is exactly that, to focus on the material.

Edit:  eham.net speaks volumes as to their process and student's successes... https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=3412
View Quote

I am using the hamstudyguide which is one of the most recommended.

I guess I'll just keep plugging along. I have my test next Saturday.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top