Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2024 7:51:18 PM EDT
Does one exist?

I can control my BTECH GMRS Pro from my android tablet via Bluetooth and the BTECH app while the ht is sitting across the room near the window where I keep my other radios/chargers/etc. Changing channels/volume/etc in real time.

Is there a ham ht that can do that? I know there are Bluetooth cat controls you can add on to other non ht models, but I want a ht.

A friend said to look at the AnyTone 878UVII Plus? As I'm still learning I can't do any TX until I get my license.

But I can certainly listen while studying. :)
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m not sure if this applies but found it interesting.

Radioddity SHORTWAVE
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#2]
You could most likely change the frequencies in the radio you have. Most of them can do either gmrs or ham frequencies.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard of people controlling the uvk5 over bluetooth, but I don't know specifically how they are doing it. I assume some kind of Bluetooth serial adapter.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By shooter64738:
I've heard of people controlling the uvk5 over bluetooth, but I don't know specifically how they are doing it. I assume some kind of Bluetooth serial adapter.
View Quote

I see this but I believe you have to use the programming cable to use it?

Quansheng Dock - Remote Control Your Quansheng UV K5 K6 Series Radio
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#5]
https://www.radioddity.com/collections/amateur-radios/products/radioddity-ga-5wb

Ham Radio DX (youtube channel) mentioned these might be features of this radio currently in pre-sale status
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:02:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shooter64738] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ZF-1:

I see this but I believe you have to use the programming cable to use it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbEFBB1haY4
View Quote

Correct. They use a wireless USB.

Radio side:
Radio->programming cable->wireless USB adapter.

Pc side:
Pc->USB device. (Shows com ports on your Pc, but actually connects to the remote usb device)

I have a wireless serial adapter, but I dont have a 'usb' type. I would need a usb to serial adapter on the radio side to try it. I was satisfied just using the cable, but I may order one and try it out. I've never actually seen this demonstrated, just people describing they did it on reddit.

ETA:
They are using a tiny pc to connect the radio to. Then remote desktop from their pc to the tiny pc. Wireless connections direct to the radio are problematic because it expects real time control and wireless has too much latency.

On the bright side a tiny pc is about $100, so you could go that route I guess. Seems like a pain though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:14:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZF-1] [#7]
Oh well look at that....

Radioddity GA-5WB APP Programming Radio | GPS & APRS | IP67 | UHF & VHF & Air Band | Type-C Charging

SECRET New Handheld from Radioddity

https://www.radioddity.com/products/radioddity-ga-5wb
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a few EFJ/Kenwood Viking radios optioned for Bluetooth. Some of the Bluetooth speaker mic options have enough programmable keys to permit significant remote control over the radio. Right now I use one of the AINA PTT VR mics with my VM5000 - it's great to have full mobile radio capability when stepping out of the truck to open/close gates, operate switchgear, or turn wrenches.

They're not ham radios, exactly, but VP5230s (VHF lower-tier portable physically identical to an NX5200) regularly show up secondhand for well below APX prices. The Bluetooth feature license is $100-ish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top