Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:51:42 AM EDT
[#1]
If I have a local repeater that has Fusion & WiresX can I access this talk group using the repeater?  Or would I need to have a hotspot?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:01:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pheenix11:
If I have a local repeater that has Fusion & WiresX can I access this talk group using the repeater?  Or would I need to have a hotspot?
View Quote

No the ARFCOM TG556 is not linked to Wires- X or any repeater.

It is a closed system (no links or bridges allowed) and is hosted on the TGIF DMR network. You would have to use a hotspot and cross mode from C4FM to DMR to to connect to the talk group.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It is a closed system (no links or bridges allowed) and is hosted on the TGIF DMR network. You would have to use a hotspot and cross mode from C4FM to DMR to to connect to the talk group.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I have a local repeater that has Fusion & WiresX can I access this talk group using the repeater?  Or would I need to have a hotspot?

But you can do it - I just got on within the last week with my Yaesu ft70 and hotspot!
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Using a GD-77 hotspot to access the talk group 556 on TGIF. Since the stuff is DMR limited,
I am parked there most of the time, while homebound due to social distancing.

I have an Anytone 878 that was collecting dust in the charger. There is hardly any traffic
on the talkgroup whatsoever, but I have fusion to keep me busy. So the radio sits there
and monitors most of the time.

If anyone is still interested....

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm interested in doing this. So I take it, I need a hotspot (I'm leaning towards a PiStar) and a radio that will do DMR... Is there anything else? When out and about, do most people connect their PiStar (or whatever they are using) to their cell phone via the hot spot feature on the phone and then talk using the radio?

Is there a way to get the PiStar as a kit? I can 3d print a case and am thinking this will work.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4325052
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought the piStar kit with the screen from Ham Radio Outlet.  I added the case and power supply for a small fee.  Overall, it was pretty inexpensive.  I’m using a FT 70, and cross-mode to YSF to DMR.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By rssc:
I'm interested in doing this. So I take it, I need a hotspot (I'm leaning towards a PiStar) and a radio that will do DMR... Is there anything else? When out and about, do most people connect their PiStar (or whatever they are using) to their cell phone via the hot spot feature on the phone and then talk using the radio?

Is there a way to get the PiStar as a kit? I can 3d print a case and am thinking this will work. 

View Quote

All you need is a radio which will do any flavor of VHF / UHF digital.  DMR, Fusion, DSTAR, etc.  The pistar will cross-mode from any to any.

If you want to learn about DMR and don't already have a digital capable radio of another flavor you might as well buy a DMR handheld.  They're the cheapest of the bunch anyway.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#8]
updated and reset my iphone 8 and it’s been working for about 2 hours now

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm interested in doing this. So I take it, I need a hotspot (I'm leaning towards a PiStar) and a radio that will do DMR... Is there anything else? When out and about, do most people connect their PiStar (or whatever they are using) to their cell phone via the hot spot feature on the phone and then talk using the radio?

Is there a way to get the PiStar as a kit? I can 3d print a case and am thinking this will work.

View Quote
And an internet connection... either home WiFi or through your phone as a WiFi hotspot.  Since you're posting here you already have that of course.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys. Is the Anytone 878 the best option for a handheld? In the reviews I've read it seems to stack up pretty well against the Yaesu FT3DR...I'm a newbie so a reasonably priced radio with feature and quality that punches above its weight sounds good. Having said that I culd spend more and buy a Yaesu if it makes sense (buy once...).
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. Is the Anytone 878 the best option for a handheld? In the reviews I've read it seems to stack up pretty well against the Yaesu FT3DR...I'm a newbie so a reasonably priced radio with feature and quality that punches above its weight sounds good. Having said that I culd spend more and buy a Yaesu if it makes sense (buy once...).
View Quote
I've heard good things about the Anytone but I ended up going with an Ailunce HD1, which is a little less expensive. I like it a lot.  Nice solid feel to it, and great audio quality.  Building the codeplug can be a challenge until you get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys. Is the Anytone 878 the best option for a handheld? In the reviews I've read it seems to stack up pretty well against the Yaesu FT3DR...I'm a newbie so a reasonably priced radio with feature and quality that punches above its weight sounds good. Having said that I culd spend more and buy a Yaesu if it makes sense (buy once...).
View Quote

FT-70 is GTG

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015655
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys. Is the Anytone 878 the best option for a handheld? In the reviews I've read it seems to stack up pretty well against the Yaesu FT3DR...I'm a newbie so a reasonably priced radio with feature and quality that punches above its weight sounds good. Having said that I culd spend more and buy a Yaesu if it makes sense (buy once...).
View Quote

I’m a big fan of the 878.  My next two radios will probably be their 578 mobiles.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I have just gotten into this aspect of the hobby.
I am using a hotspot (now 2) and Yaesu FT70 to access dmr repeaters - there are Yaesu system fusion 440 machines near me, but I cannot hit them with the rubber ducky and the HT, so I am hotspot only for now.

Since I am limited that way for now, I have a dmr radio I would like to get going since it appears to be way easier to access varied dmr repeaters without adjusting the pi star like I have to with the FT70. However, I cannot get the damn dmr radio to update firmware or software and interact with my computer(s), that is not working.

Either can work, I think dmr will be more flexible overall, but it can have a learning curve for sure!

Great support on here for most choices, and online. Its fun and a lot more activity than on the local repeaters!
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#15]
What radio do you have?

DMR does have a steeper learning curve than other modes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#16]
DMR is interesting as it separates the physical layer from the data layer.  Unlike Fusion and (i think) DSTAR in which they are one and the same.

Once you understand that it makes more sense.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TinLeg:
DMR is interesting as it separates the physical layer from the data layer.  Unlike Fusion and (i think) DSTAR in which they are one and the same.

Once you understand that it makes more sense.
View Quote

what does a DMR rig offer that's better than a Yaesu Fusion, when it comes to chatting on the ARFCOM DMR group ?

not being a smart ass, just curious

I keep hearing DMR guys talk about code plugs, time slots, etc.

with my FT70 & FTM100, I just key up and it automatically selects FM or C4FM.

done

I'm not seeing the appeal of a chi-com ebay rig that's harder to setup, vs a japanese Yaesu that's idiot proof.
what am I missing ?

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#18]
A code plug is the programming for the radio.  Since DMR started as commercial radios they have some of it left in their DNA.  While my Anytone 878 has a pair of VFOs it's meant to be programmed.

The time slots are a really interesting thing about DMR.  Each frequency has two time slots, called 1 and 2 (crazy I know).  These two time slots can be used to carry on conversations simultaneously.  This means that you can pack twice as many conversations into a single narrowband repeater pair.  What's particularly interesting to me is that the Anytone 578 (their mobile DMR offering) can cross-band, cross-mode, or cross-timeslot repeat.  That means on DMR one radio running on a simplex frequency can work as a repeater.

One thing that they are not as great at is traveling.  While radios such as the 878 can be programmed with roaming (which I do for all the local DRM repeaters) it isn't as simple or powerful as my IC-4100 where the radio is able to search its database for the closest DStar repeater and set the frequencies.

The last "that's neat" feature, if you have a business license of course, is that the new Anytone radios support 256 bit AES.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

what does a DMR rig offer that's better than a Yaesu Fusion, when it comes to chatting on the ARFCOM DMR group ?

not being a smart ass, just curious 

I keep hearing DMR guys talk about code plugs, time slots, etc.

with my FT70 & FTM100, I just key up and it automatically selects FM or C4FM.

done

I'm not seeing the appeal of a chi-com ebay rig that's harder to setup, vs a japanese Yaesu that's idiot proof.
what am I missing ?

View Quote

2 time slots so monitoring 2 TG at one time. Granted you can only talk on 1 TG at a time.

Once the code plug is made for DMR it’s idiot proof. Just turn it on and select the knob/TG you want to talk on and go. No pressing DX buttons and linking and u linking reflectors etc..

I have now played with DMR, Fusion and Dstar.

Fusion and Dstar sound the best.

I like DMR the best due to having a place to hang out ex: Georgia State wide  or Atlanta Metro or Arfcom.

But for me locally I have switch to Dstar as we have mostly Dstar repeaters in Ga and Ref 30B is essentially Georgia State wide.

Fusion has the best looking coolest radios but the lack of anything in my AO makes fusion worthless for anything other than hotspot usage. And Yeasu not making rooms for each state also seems to have hurt them. If you want your own room you have to buy a HRI200 and set everything up and run it on your own PC. DMR and Dstar is all based offsite on the repeater or cloud like DMR.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#20]

the 2 timeslots on one freq makes great sense for business band, or police and fire, but how does that help me, with one jumbospot, tuned to ARFCOM ?

the only repeater I can hit from home with an HT is a cludgy old FM machine run by hiram maxim's students

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Your hotspot can only do one timeslot at a time.  Although you may be able to do two with one on each.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Will this do the job? Is there anything else? What's the latest and greatest Hot Spot gismo?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Gyprat:
Will this do the job? Is there anything else? What's the latest and greatest Hot Spot gismo?
View Quote

That'll do the job pretty well.  You'll either need a DMR or Fusion radio.  To be honest I've never used the cross-mode capability of the Pi-Star so I don't know how well it works.

If you want latest and greatest it's probably the OpenSpot3 which can do about any digital mode to any other digital mode.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#24]

what does a DMR rig offer that's better than a Yaesu Fusion, when it comes to chatting on the ARFCOM DMR group ?

done

I'm not seeing the appeal of a chi-com ebay rig that's harder to setup, vs a japanese Yaesu that's idiot proof.
what am I missing ?

View All Quotes
DMR is interesting as it separates the physical layer from the data layer.  Unlike Fusion and (i think) DSTAR in which they are one and the same.

Once you understand that it makes more sense.

done

what am I missing ?

IMO, not a damned thing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

IMO, not a damned thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
DMR is interesting as it separates the physical layer from the data layer.  Unlike Fusion and (i think) DSTAR in which they are one and the same.

Once you understand that it makes more sense.

what does a DMR rig offer that's better than a Yaesu Fusion, when it comes to chatting on the ARFCOM DMR group ?

not being a smart ass, just curious

I keep hearing DMR guys talk about code plugs, time slots, etc.

with my FT70 & FTM100, I just key up and it automatically selects FM or C4FM.

done

I'm not seeing the appeal of a chi-com ebay rig that's harder to setup, vs a japanese Yaesu that's idiot proof.
what am I missing ?

IMO, not a damned thing.
chatting on arfcom 556, no difference. Ability to access other things, simpler with dmr is what I am seeing. However, I have not played with the fusion or wiresx zapabilities on my yaesu ft70 yet. I will have to go through my hotspot to do so as I think I am out of range of the YSF functional repeaters in my area, so its possible I am not fully informed!

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#26]
So I’ve found a local repeater that has the following listed:

Talkgroup 31665 = T.G.I.F. (PTT 30)

Does this mean I would be able to access all the TGIF talk groups from this repeater?

Couple side questions as well:

Once you get a DMR handheld do you need to sign up at RadioID before you start creating/uploading a codeplug?

A local ham mentioned that WiresX was shut off on a local repeater because people “left it running”.  Is there something similar to watch out for when using DMR Talkgroups?  I don’t want to step on any toes.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:27:30 PM EDT
[#27]
So I’ve found a local repeater that has the following listed:

Talkgroup 31665 = T.G.I.F. (PTT 30)

Does this mean I would be able to access all the TGIF talk groups from this repeater?

Couple side questions as well:

Once you get a DMR handheld do you need to sign up at RadioID before you start creating/uploading a codeplug?

A local ham mentioned that WiresX was shut off on a local repeater because people “left it running”.  Is there something similar to watch out for when using DMR Talkgroups?  I don’t want to step on any toes.

View Quote

I'm not sure what they mean with that talkgroup description.  Talkgroups can be static or dynamic.  A static talkgroup is always presented by the DMR repeater.  A dynamic talkgroup will (if repeater is configured) automatically connect to and begin rebroadcasting that TG if/when a client radio keys up on that TG.  Dynamic TGs will have a timeout value where if no local radio traffic is heard on that TG for a certain amount of time, the repeater will cease rebroadcasting that TG.

You do not need a DMR ID to create a codeplug, upload it to the radio, and to listen to DMR.  You will need it if/when you want to press the transmit key.

The WiresX repeater was badly configured.  No admin should depend on a client-user returning the repeater to it's default state.  I'm betting what he means is that users would connect, switch rooms, and then dissapear.  Repeater should've been configured to return to a default room on expiration of local traffic.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#28]
So I’ve found a local repeater that has the following listed:

Talkgroup 31665 = T.G.I.F. (PTT 30)

Does this mean I would be able to access all the TGIF talk groups from this repeater?

Couple side questions as well:

Once you get a DMR handheld do you need to sign up at RadioID before you start creating/uploading a codeplug? No you can go ahead and make one just hold off on TX. Wait and get the ID.

A local ham mentioned that WiresX was shut off on a local repeater because people “left it running”.  Is there something similar to watch out for when using DMR Talkgroups?  I don’t want to step on any toes. No unless you have a multi mode machine and even then most of those are setup to default back to FM or Dstar etc after X minuets. Most of not all DMR only machines will default back to the preconfigured TG after no traffic is heard.

View Quote

More than liley its the TGIF talkgroup which is the only TGIF TG that is allowed to cross the various networks as far as I can tell. I am assuming its a secondary TG on a TS and you will have to PTT it to activate it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#29]

The WiresX repeater was badly configured.  No admin should depend on a client-user returning the repeater to it's default state.  I'm betting what he means is that users would connect, switch rooms, and then dissapear.  Repeater should've been configured to return to a default room on expiration of local traffic.
View All Quotes

A local ham mentioned that WiresX was shut off on a local repeater because people “left it running”.  Is there something similar to watch out for when using DMR Talkgroups?  I don’t want to step on any toes.

The WiresX repeater was badly configured.  No admin should depend on a client-user returning the repeater to it's default state.  I'm betting what he means is that users would connect, switch rooms, and then dissapear.  Repeater should've been configured to return to a default room on expiration of local traffic.

I’m a total newb ham and this was the first thing that occurred to me.  I’m thinking there’s no way to configure it to time out after 10 minutes or something?  That doesn’t sound right.  Thank you for confirming.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:44:09 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought a jumbo spot and figured out how to get everything running right.

Can't wait to meet you all.

Is there any time people are meeting up on here lately?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Its pretty hit or miss. On the hf net right now, will go to 556 abt 8:30 eastern if u r around
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Its pretty hit or miss. On the hf net right now, will go to 556 abt 8:30 eastern if u r around
View Quote

Need to use the DMR TG in conjunction with the HF phone net. Will be pretty fun. Should have turned on my Ht. I have a hotspot at the house ready to go.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Finally got a MMDVM and set up a 556 channel.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Has anyone tried crossbanding DMR with a analog repeater using a Anytone 578?

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#35]
I think I have finally connected to the TG556.....is there anyone who can give a quick shout?

I’ll be monitoring for awhile if someone has the time for a quick contact.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#36]
MMDVM kit parts coming in Thursday (& already have a Pi Zero W) so I'll be trying to setup Pi-Star and see if I can get it talking with the GD-77.  We'll see if I can connect.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#37]
OK, I think I'm on, it shows me in the room, not sure if I'm making it out or not, since no one else is in the room.

Will be standing by.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OK, I think I'm on, it shows me in the room, not sure if I'm making it out or not, since no one else is in the room.

Will be standing by.
View Quote

This link might be helpful for YSF2DMR talk group changes.
https://tgifnetwork.createaforum.com/sytem-fusion-discussions/change-talkgroup-from-the-radio-in-ysf2dmr-mode/
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Will be standing by.
View Quote

Glad to catch you today, welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Just ordered this MMDVM device.

Hopefully this talkgroup is still a thing.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s a good deal. Cheapest I have seen a hot spot go for.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I spent a few bucks more and got one like that from a USA dealer.

I didn't want to wait til September

Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#43]
At purchase a message about deliver by 8/15 came up.  I have my doubts, however.  Maybe 9/15.  At any rate my first item of concern will be to re-image the SD card that it comes with.  Call me paranoid but the thought of running an OS provided on an image from China inside my own network just doesn't sit well with me.  I already got hit with the covid China-flu myself, don't need my network or PCs infected too with an e-virus from Red China.

US sellers I saw were looking at were $20 more.  I thought about ordering the components separately, but in my experience any time I try to piece something HAM related together on my own I spend more than had I just ordered something turn-key.  Plus I was digging on this one being silver.  I'm tired of spending time digging through dark drawers black bags for black components.  

Question for those in the know:  Can I configure the pi-star node for multiple wifi networks much like I can with my Allstar nodes?  Perhaps through direct editing the wpa_supplicant file if not through the GUI?
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Buying an assembled hotspot from HRO might have been the better option than buying Chinese MMDVM hotsot. Some like Derek45 have had good luck with the Chicom hotspots, but I usually buy Zumspot MMDVM boards, or those made by David N5BOC , as the quality is second to none.

It's usually a crap shoot on the China boards and being cheap as most hams are usually bites you in the ass with the China MMDVM hotspots. The frequency stability and quality of construction is outstanding on the US boards.

Pi-Star isn't rocket science to set up, but if you get in a pinch, there are many here that will we able to help you. Just post here and someone should be able to help.
Good luck!

My old eyes like the 3.5" screen hotspots I built using the C4 Labs case and Nextion screen.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Buying an assembled hotspot from HRO might have been the better option than buying Chinenes MMDVM hotsot. Some like Derek45 have had good luck with the Chicom hotspots, but I usually by Zumspot MMDVM boards, or those made by David N5BOC , as the quality is second to none.

It's usually a crap shoot on the China boards and being cheap as most hams are usually bites you in the ass with the China MMDVM hotspots. The frequency stability and quality of construction is outstanding on the US boards.

Pi-Star isn't rocket science to set up, but if you get in a pinch, there are many here that will we able to help you. Just post here and someone should be able to help.
Good luck!

My old eyes like the 3.5" screen hotspots I built using the C4 Labs case and Nextion screen.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/54857/IMG_0449_jpg-1539639.JPG
View Quote

I'm reading that in Thurston Howell III's voice

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Buy once...cry once pizza man.

Life is less stressful when you buy quality.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

But how does one know he's getting a quality US built board vs just one that's a Chinese re-pack as they appear to be?
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 3:05:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Jim McLaughlin, KI6ZUM makes the Zumspot MMDVM boards and David Dennis, N5BOC makes the Lonestar Electronics MMDVM boards. There is absolutly no comparison between these American designed and manufactured boards and the Chicom crap sold on Amazon or eBay.

You may pay less for a Chicom MMDVM board, but you will not find anything that is better that what these two US hams offer.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Buying an assembled hotspot from HRO might have been the better option than buying Chinese MMDVM hotsot. Some like Derek45 have had good luck with the Chicom hotspots, but I usually buy Zumspot MMDVM boards, or those made by David N5BOC , as the quality is second to none.

Good luck!

View Quote

Links to the C4 Labs case and the Nextion screen please?  I like C4 Labs cases, I have a bunch of their Zebra cases.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top