Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 84
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:45:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#1]
UPDATE FOLLOWS COMMENTS--

GENERAL NOTE: much thanks patience, and apologies in advance.  All is well.  Just split/divided/not always present.  Generally avoid
cross posting from other place, but in case of general notes, much information can be duplicated.  When time available try to catch
up on one forum, or another, still behind.  Continuing:

GENERAL NOTE (copy paste)-- all will have book well before you, or I, die. I am very sorry for delays. There are many reasons, some personal, some exogenous,
some values driven--for instance, a slow grind internal delay:

GENERAL NOTE: do not anticipate any proximate absences, but yea I did not predict the last, either. But. Should be on forum regularly for a while. Not making
any more predictions ( not for a week or two ) but please observe
99.9999 percent number. I need to make time now to get back to other
forum as well.

GENERAL NOTE: looking like I might have some control time shortly. That would be good. Also--have a Master Class proof reader who is a very senior web
developer/coder/Fortune 500 guru. Only intermittently available for
proofing/formatting/etc. Co-ordination an issue.  Might just skip it.  Many many mistakes/typos have been caught here.  I see a new voice /re "Sic Semper T." and yes entirely correct--but tilting to the bastardized "common" meaning--for the forensic language/historians, yes now a small look at choices made many many times: verisimilitude, or comprehension?  Accuracy,
or design/appearance on the page?  Lots of pain.

GENERAL NOTE: for elements of design/strategy a very close read on Tony/Sylvia should be revealing. Tony is a master class designer himself, but in a
different domain. Now he is/will be/adopted as/ a Librarian. This will
be shown in expanded book/final update this last scene. If I were a
faster/better writer, many of these characters would/should have their
own books/series: Maria, Brian, Byron York, Tony, even Binary. I have a
big chunk of Binary that "does not fit" the lay-out/meter/timing of this
story. Really ****es me off. Hopefully I can find a place for it
someday.

GENERAL NOTE: should have an expanded VERSION OF ( meaning with timing, activity, witnesses, expansion ) to last update fairly shortly. Expanded version
not formatted, therefore not finalized.

COMMENTS ON COMMENTS, then update:

--mnmiv--and all--very much appreciate patience.  Feels like time distortion. Two months past felt like a week.  Here.  Not a week.  Just FFF.

--PFfunk, purple, that is some funny shit.  Yes, lotta lotta testing.  Grim stuff.  No right answer.  All comments here very carefully studied .re cover.
PF ok looks like I will be....um....a few months past Christmas, yah?  But will happen.

--Designated, will try your changes.  Cover gave me/will give me fits.

--armstrong, very good to see you, no need to lurk, absent voices here and certainty of some like minds, this would have been a poem,
or a wood carving, or dialogue with friends of many years, and then forgotten.  Have a few friends who are watching this process closely.
Much amusement.  Some considerable alarm.  The general consensus is that I/we should just shut the fuck up.....ah.....not gonna do that.
Not yet, anyway.

--greyguy much thanks on cover and yes, this is much more professional--tech guru girl/wizard has pro-photoshop--I took the pic, my hand
my tool ( a Norinco, yep ), then drew/painted/colors/fonts and etc.--back seat driving--for many many hours.  I drew the bones in the hand.  Very difficult, many trials.  Very patient lovely girl to put up with the amateur: me.

--tigglesworth, have I missed you before? If so very sorry.  If not, good to see you.  Your comments are on point.  I have a kind of file of tech
comments .re cover--your note on audience expectation is a big deal--did you see posts on writing "against the genre..."?  Yes, this is not "normal"
PAW fiction.  Very significantly a "thriller" and not a "who" but a "why"dunnit/did it.  The series of reveals at the end, setting up, paying off, is very
very hard to do, and actually REQUIRES a long established genre convention(s), so that I can "flip"/reverse them.  I do not see any other opportunities
to do this in future stories/genres.

--highstepper good to see you and understood on tiggleworth's comments--further note: the "post apocalyptic" designation is very much a "placement"/visibility issue--Amazon arbitrarily places books in pre-existing genres--so one is forced to adapt/stretch meanings in the case
of a story like this.  There is no "pre-apocalyptic" genre, or a "how some smart motherfuckers manipulated their part of the apocalypse" genre, and so on.  On kindle store graphics/fingernails, agreed, would like/hope to fix/make it better.  A time/tech issue.

--mnmiv--obviously I am defficient at predicting my own schedule.  But the number 99.999 percent done WITH THE BOOK/STORY ITSELF is accurate.
Hang in there.

--GreenGiant thank you and yes I benefit from prompts.  Pretty irritated with myself.  If it makes you feel any better, this story is now about 163,000 words--about 10,000 more than "Salem's Lot" or I think...Firestarter?

--DFArm much thanks patience and hang in there.  Yes, STJ.  More knives!!!!!

--yearly FAL match....dude. Pics?  Then knives.  Ok.

--Timing0 very good to see you, and yes on Sic Semper, and....I think off of your comment I should probably make note of this in text.  Brian would look it up, off of Maria's coin, and note the transition from accuracy to common meaning.  This story is already long/dense enough.  Good call.

--greyguy, funny funny.  Yep.  When I look at this thing, I can finally understand how people can eventually build like....an aircraft carrier.

--PFfunk, kill me dude.  "bang out another quickly" oh shit.  What I am pretty sure about: progress.  Stepping VERY LIGHTLY: it is in the realm of the POSSIBLE, depending on some ok maybe some unwelcome phone calls/other shit nagging--this could get published in 'weeks' but I suck at predicting my own future, obv., WHAT I CAN SAY IS THAT I SHOULD BE REGULARLY PRESENT ON THIS/AND OTHER FORUM, at least once a week, until done.
A very minor recent distraction: I just loaded three tons of metal and tools into someone's vehicle.  Personally.  Because reasons.  That was nothing...
except my feet hurt.  And so on.

--Coontrapper good to see you here and everywhere.  "They."  Yes they do exist.  And they hate our fucking guts.  Nuff said at this time.

--zoe17 much thanks dude and I have you and your son on my mind.  Have not forgotten for one second.

--Coontrapper much thanks and yes way too much going on.

--mnmiv much thanks--

--Former11b much thanks as well--

--Pffunk ah jeez no harm no foul and....and....yeah I should stop here.

--StimpsonJ understood and water under the bridge.  And funny.  Now.  Sort of.

--Coontrapper much thanks and as I get up to speed consider that I have "a design" in mind for Gehr Waffen, and have for many
years.  Knives fit into/are a part of that design, and many other tools/talismans/artifacts.  Things that maintain value.  Endure.
I am very much looking forward to STJ's artifacts.

--BigDam good to see you and don't worry this story will continue/get done/and then more.  I'm just FFFFing slow, and not full time,
and juggling related issues/concerns/bullshit.

--STJ....grail tool!!!!!!  Please post promptly.  Eventually this thread as subtext should have dozens/hundreds of grail tools.  Time allowing
I intend to post....many.  Have stuff I rotate on and off my desk.  Pack rats can end up with some cool stuff....even by accident.

--PFfunk hang in there.

--STJ a freaking power hammer!!!!!!!!  Awesomeness is thine!!!!!!  Details please: how found, where, age, etc., when appropriate.

--dfarm oh yep power hammer.  Looks older than Moses.  Stj teasing us now.

--STJ more details please?  Age?  Looks freaking Victorian.

--Stj I see it, how much concrete/depth for that slab?  Hammer weight?

--GreenGiant, exactly.  Beautiful enduring artifacts.  That do stuff.  Forever.

--texasshark--I think a new voice?  Yes, much will happen.  Just...slower than anyone would like.  Including me.
Good to see you.

--Dfarm, yes, interesting, always, for many many years, Amazon not yet.

--Former11b, understand all concerns, I share them.  I know that publication is a big "tell"/confirmation.  But as a reader you can
see that the story, even as posted here, MUST BE at the very very end.  It is.

--PFfunk yeah the force is all FFFFed up.  Very.  Bigly.  Has been for decades.  Very astute 'poem' PFfunk.

--zOe17, status check, A/Ok.

--kOW, status check, A/Ok.

--GreenGiant, no, they have not got me.  Let's see how far I can go someday about they.  They have been creeping
into the light a bit lately.  We shall see.

-------TEXT REMOVED .RE EPUB TOS----------
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Are we there yet? Are we there yet?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#3]
(contented sigh)

Glad to know you've not been disappeared, DCB!

We were becoming . . . concerned.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#4]
  --grywlf--damned close.  Very seriously hoping I have a block of ( relatively ) uninterrupted time.

--Former11b, much much thanks hanging in there.  Exogenous/other events.  Massively fucked up, obv.
Yes we are the maximum un-good parties in this evolving world.  Also a bunch of shit kind of under the radar--
watch Africa.  I know that continental shithole pretty well.  Has always been a potential Afghanistan cubed.
Ooops.  Now it is.  Not fixable/managable culturally/economically/geographically and never has been and never
will be.  And just FFFFFing HUGE.

GENERAL NOTE: Gehr Waffen has a "Codex"--an explanation of first principles.  It will explain quite a bit.
First principles must by their very nature be "testable"/provable by "the layman"--meaning anyone with common sense.
I hope I have the time to write it someday.

Very much appreciate everyone hanging in on this.  Just huge.

Thank you.

DCB
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:11:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DCBourone:

--STJ a freaking power hammer!!!!!!!!  Awesomeness is thine!!!!!!  Details please: how found, where, age, etc., when appropriate.

Little Giant is still in business, and makes MOST of the parts for these, but not the frames.  I bought it off the current president of ABANA, 4 hour round-trip drive.  It took some interesting winching to get it into place in the shed.  Hammer was made around 1920.

--dfarm oh yep power hammer.  Looks older than Moses.  Stj teasing us now.  Yeah, you know nothing about teasing.

--STJ more details please?  Age?  Looks freaking Victorian.

--Stj I see it, how much concrete/depth for that slab?  Hammer weight?

The ram weighs 25lbs.  The complete hammer weighs just shy of 1000lbs.
View Quote
This project has suspended knife work though...sorry about that.  I had to remove every tool from the shed to do the install, and that yielded lots of things that needed maintenance and could be redone better than before.  I have only the die fitting left on the hammer and then I will FINALLY pour a base for my anvil and bolt it down, and then back on knives.

The update was like an awesome beer in too small of a bottle.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I know we aren't supposed to quote the text, so I'll just comment that the line about imagining people dissapearing at this very moment (and regarding rumors) is possibly the best line revealed thus far.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:31:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#7]
DC, glad to see that you are still around.

Great update.  It's entertaining to try to figure out who is having this conversation.

I'm excited for the discussion that I imagine will take place here after we can read the whole book.

Stimpy, what are the chances of you making a thread in another section about the upgrades to your shop and your work?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad to see you are okay DC. Thanks for the update. Enjoy the summer and good luck with Amazon.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

Stimpy, what are the chances of you making a thread in another section about the upgrades to your shop and your work?
View Quote
Sure thing...where?

There is still a raging argument over making a metalworking sub-forum going on in GD.        
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

Sure thing...where?

There is still a raging argument over making a metalworking sub-forum going on in GD.        
View Quote
I've been keeping up with that thread. I imagine it'd be welcomed in the blade section of the armory.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been keeping up with that thread. I imagine it'd be welcomed in the blade section of the armory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

Sure thing...where?

Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:18:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow just wow, by chance on another forum i found a reference to your book/story and i jumped on the thread to see what is it about. From the first paragraph i was hooked and in the last 48h i read almost all the updates you posted stopping on page 42 where you said there are massive spoilers. Now i can hardly contain myself but i want to buy the book so i can read it all in one sitting(in whatever form you decide to put it on amazon). Also after the first update i immediately bought "Injured reserves" and i cannot wait for the Soldier's Son.

I just had to register on the forum to tell you that you Sir have real skill in storytelling and i hope you will continue to write.

p.s. Please let the book be available soon ;)
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By lohi:
Wow just wow, by chance on another forum i found a reference to your book/story and i jumped on the thread to see what is it about. From the first paragraph i was hooked and in the last 48h i read almost all the updates you posted stopping on page 42 where you said there are massive spoilers. Now i can hardly contain myself but i want to buy the book so i can read it all in one sitting(in whatever form you decide to put it on amazon). Also after the first update i immediately bought "Injured reserves" and i cannot wait for the Soldier's Son.

I just had to register on the forum to tell you that you Sir have real skill in storytelling and i hope you will continue to write.

p.s. Please let the book be available soon ;)
View Quote
Don't forget to leave a review of IR on Amazon...it really helps get DCB exposure.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#15]
GENERAL NOTE: lots of housekeeping/formatting/titling/chaptering tech stuff.  "words on repeat": the pure size complexity
of this thing a bit humbling.  WARNING: for many reasons (see blog within...months?) THIS STORY DESIGN CANNOT BE
REPEATED IN THIS GENRE.  This is not a matter of "talent"--but the structures/expectations/design of the genre itself.
See "The Sixth Sense"--can there be another ghost movie, in which the protagonist is a ghost?  No.  Not for at least one generation.

GENERAL NOTE: Beginning of June every year, forum posts/clicks/looks plummet.  School is out.  Vacations begin.  Spring and summer,
the sun and wind call to us all.  Only somewhat relevant.  This book, and all others, will live or die on their merits.  I think they will live....
with how much vigor I do not know.

--STJ--"remove every tool from shed"--ouch.  I just moved a friend.  One of us.  Many many tons of stuff.  Two shipping containers.
It was quite the chore.  I admonish all who believe in some level of preparation to maintain the maximum level of fitness.  It would be absurd
for two ( normal ) people our age to do what the two of us did per day.  Simply not possible.  Friend has a fitbit/digital gizmo.  We both walked about 14 miles.  A day.  Carrying and stacking shit.  Very fffing heavy shit.  It was ridiculous.  STJ I see from your videos that you are
scrupulously attending to this issue.  Good FFFing job, dude.

--airsix very good to see you and yes thank you on the disappearing/rumors issue.  There are several deep/additional themes/issues which
were "buried" in the subtext, four years ago, and now have been elevated in the final text.  They will be easily recognized.  Also: it is quite clear at this point ( SEE BUT DO NOT QUOTE SPOILERS ), that the Gehr Waffen resources/game/data-sets are very very 'deep.'  How deep will be a final reveal/spoiler.  Truism: "To resist a state, one must have the resources of a state.  To have the resources of a state, one must lie within the state."
It is not commonly known that a certain Republic, before and during inception, had an exceptionally sophisticated and robust intelligence apparatus.
We have illuminated a failure: Nathan Hale.  There were many successes.

--DFarm, good to see you as always, and yes the discussion here should be interesting.  I am imagining a constant hysterical wail from myself on the issue of spoilers.  And the deletion of proper names/party names/faction names.  But yes, it will be a lot of fun.

GENERAL NOTE: of STJ/stimpy shop and blades: STJ's shop and blades deserve MAXIMUM DISTRIBUTION/VISIBILITY/PRESENCE.  Everywhere and anywhere.  I only beg STJ to maintain some presence here, for the shop and blades.  I love shops.  I love the fabrication will/talent/tools.  I love artifacts.  Knives are the first artifact.  Please keep us in the loop, STJ.  Oh.  And I have plans....

--zoe17 good to see you and well....summer is no different than anything in my zone, just a little bit hotter, depending on where I am.  This book is going to dominate pretty much everything, and the next everything, and 'promoting' it ( just FFFF me...), and starting the next one, and a bunch of postponed major fffing chores, for a very very long time.  Maybe I will get to splash around in a puddle, or something.

--LaRue I dig the sombrero dude.  What is he smoking?  And another fabricator/engineer.  Color me surprised.  Not.  Nice tools, engineer.  I bet Pop Gehr owns some of your gear.  In fact, I guarantee it.

--STJ, shop/tools/knives--Anywhere and Everywhere.  As long as some of it can be seen here!!!!!!!!

--DFArm/Coontrapper==blade section armoury, yep. Plus more.

--lohi, very good to see you, and thank you.  Can you tell me where you saw reference to this/any story?  If SBoards, understood, some cross pollination inevitable but I want to support and eventually refer to both forums.  Understood on spoilers.  Very sorry for delay.  Complicated life, complicated story, and etc.  Have been in the 99 percent and over end=game for many months.  Have some free time in June, looking good so far.
And yes, if possible and appropriate please post a review of Injured.  The reviews help for many many reasons: particularly the future, when this stuff is seen by others and will piss them the FFFF off.  Very nice beaches and cliffs and history you have, Lohi.

--STJ thank you for the prompt on review.

GENERAL NOTE: next up, expanded version of last update.  Still juggling a few things.  If/when I blog about this, people will be fried when
they understand how much has to be tossed/thrown away/deleted for formatting/pacing/timing/appearance on page issues.  And titling.  And setting up next book/s. And and and and....

Ok back to work.

"Combat is the control of your adversary in the three dimensions of space, across the fourth dimension, of time."
DCBourone Injured Reserves.  And thank you, DesignatedMarksman.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#16]
As requested then...

25lb Little Giant hammer Die fitting and lower dovetail fill/fix

And I got the basic brake bent up and installed tonight, seems to work fine.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#17]
--STJ JUST WATCHED your video--like watching white magic.  "And a sword shall be made, and it shall be called...."
"And then I got to thinking..." oh yeah I'm just going to pour some brass"--just FFF--Ok, the jeans and running shoes,
you will leather up at some point, yes?  Now I have to look up Little Giant, and try and figure out how you can be
buying brand new dies and chatting on the phone with some company that made power hammers for Queen Victoria.
Maximum cool, STJ.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:34:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Captain's log, June 7th 2017.

By all accounts, the thread's creator has resurfaced.

Judging on timing, content, and inflection, it does not appear to be an imposter.

What would a comma hammer cyborg sound like?

Could it keep the voice of the original man, while yet being partly machine?

Would the metallic heart beat of the machine pollute the voice of the original man, thus making his true voice impossible to counterfeit?

Rations are now plentiful.

It appears moral has been temporarily restored.

Hello?

Is there anybody in there?

Just nod if you can hear me.

Is there any one home?

Has the constant movement of the finish line affected mental constitution?

For I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.

Miles to go, before I sleep.

End of report.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:30:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#19]

Ok, the jeans and running shoes,
you will leather up at some point, yes? 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ok, the jeans and running shoes,
you will leather up at some point, yes? 
It was maybe half a cup of brass.  If it was a quart it would have frightened me and I would have put on boots and an apron.  The face shield is off camera.  You could see the gloves, but not that they are elbow length.

The wife had a similar reaction.
"Isn't that dangerous?"
...stimp destroys 2x4 with power hammer...
"Oh, I see."

I *do* try to keep the most dangerous threat in front of me.  It just seems to vary a lot.

--STJ--"remove every tool from shed"--ouch.  I just moved a friend.  One of us.  Many many tons of stuff.  Two shipping containers.
It was quite the chore.  I admonish all who believe in some level of preparation to maintain the maximum level of fitness.  It would be absurd
for two ( normal ) people our age to do what the two of us did per day.  Simply not possible.  Friend has a fitbit/digital gizmo.  We both walked about 14 miles.  A day.  Carrying and stacking shit.  Very fffing heavy shit.  It was ridiculous.  STJ I see from your videos that you are
scrupulously attending to this issue.  Good FFFing job, dude.
After the OK R-n-G    
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:48:54 AM EDT
[#20]
-PFfunk, killing me dude.  No not a machine.  Not yet.  Not really. I promise.  Rations restored, yes.
Constitution unaffected by moving finish line....debatable.  There is a 165,000 word version.  And
a 173,000 word version.  Many versions, in other words.  Will discuss in future.  The....stressors...
of this process are not "the story"--they are CHOOSING from infinite options how to tell the story,
down to the placement
of commas.  And so on.  Good to see you, PF.

--STJ destroys a 2x4 for wife, oh man...yes, dangerous.  Dying here.  What a brilliant image.  Briliant.
The run and gun number is outrageous.  Outrageous.  Let me sort through my knee braces and other
augmentations and see if I could manage....half of that.  I can limp/sprint/lift/push.  Sustained pounding...
that is another deal.  Outrageous, ST.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:43:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the update D.C. It looks like we're moving up the chain...
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:01:02 AM EDT
[#22]
--Hang in there, greyguy.  This thing is longer than "Salem's Lot" or "Firestarter" or a number of other King books.
A huge machine, clock, device, with many many tiny gears. 
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#23]
OK, I'm hooked and just finished page one of a 47 page and counting thread!
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:31:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#24]
Originally Posted By fp1201:
OK, I'm hooked and just finished page one of a 47 page and counting thread!
View Quote
Don't forget to read your scripture

Most of us envy you getting to read all of this without the wait(s).
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#25]
That's the truth!  Getting to read it all in one shot up to this point would be awesome.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#26]
--fp1201 thank you and the story here, while largely complete, benefits hugely from the attendant posts/expansions, and
the mass quantities of forum member "illuminations"--my/"The Plan" here is largely intact, with the notable exception of my
inability to predict/manage/write on a timely basis--it was very much my intention long ago for this thread to be/contain the
index/footnotes/expansion of what was already going to be a very very long book.

--STJ thank you on Injured--it also was/is my intention to drive readers "back" to Injured in this and all following books,
Injured is the condensed "master document"/mission statement for this story's generation of Librarians.

--DFarm thank you, and soon.

GENERAL NOTE: I wish there were a mechanism to print/e-book "before and after"/and--or/multiple versions of Soldier's--there is
not, as yet.  But the published version is both "exactly the same story"--and also massively altered/expanded/re-tooled--particularly
for "clarity"--if I observe the story through the eye of a new reader, I understand that my taste for "puzzles/mysteries" is not normal.
The 'reveals' of the last 100 pages will now be crystal clear, less obscure, less uncertain.

GENERAL NOTE: my formatter will be here this weekend.  (Actually, she is moving in....lucky me!) That should move things along, a bit.
I think.  Yes.  Hopefully.

GENERAL NOTE: there will eventually be a "real book"--the formatting issue, relating to titling/chaptering/headers/relevant quotes is
proving a monstrous obstacle for kindle/e-book pagination/lay-out.  I will have much more latitude to 'GET IT THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED
TO BE" in an old style print book.  Even fonts can be highly relevant, for enhancing meaning.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#27]

--STJ thank you on Injured--it also was/is my intention to drive readers "back" to Injured in this and all following books,
Injured is the condensed "master document"/mission statement for this story's generation of Librarians.
View Quote
The entire point of having disciples is that you don't have to explain yourself again.

So shaddup...I'm working here.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#28]
STJ Ok pretty damn funny keep working please post work product/process.  I will shut up for tonight.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:47:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#29]

Got some grinding work in today, and started on the swedge bevels...those are always annoying at first.

The camel bone scales showed up and I really like them and think they will work great with this design.

The larger hammer marks are not going to come out of the blade, so I am going to have to decide what to do to try to clean them up a bit.

Next up will be quenching, as any more grinding will be undone by scale formation during the heat/quench.  I plan to do several heats/quenches in increasing temps until I get the edge 'hard enough' as I have no idea how this stuff is going to behave.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#30]
--leave hammer marks, very cool, many iterations to come.  Needs stamp STJ Musso 1.
--Can see scales please?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#31]

--leave hammer marks, very cool, many iterations to come.  Needs stamp STJ Musso 1.
--Can see scales please?
View Quote
I'll try to get a pic of the scales next time the knife gets work done.  They are exceptionally pale, and will take polishing and scrimshaw well I think.

I think I will claim a side and dedicate the other side to the Gehrs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#32]

GENERAL NOTE: my formatter will be here this weekend.  (Actually, she is moving in....lucky me!) That should move things along, a bit.
I think.  Yes.  Hopefully.
View Quote
Congratulations man, just don't get too "busy".
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#33]
--STJ you have karmic permission to etch/scribe/stamp any Gehr Waffen derivative/text/logo anywhere on knife.  If appropriate
please include an STJ reference/stamp/signature/logo for future 'reference' and to provide a link between you and Gehr Waffen.
Gehr ~ Sohne Waffenfabrik ~ Design kind of cumbersome...I have a bunch of sketches/compressed versions same same for later,
meanwhile, ahem, yeah, holy FFFF get moving DCBourone....

--STJ it will be abundantly clear that Gehr Waffen subcontracts/enlists/incorporates contractors for any/all technologies in future
books--one title specifically refers same same--saving that title--hope nobody else grabs it, ouch--Gehr Waffen is after all a "design"
house--any and all artifacts "made to last/made to last....forever" and so on.  I have a plan.  Many.  We shall see.

--Designated/M good to see you and no won't get too busy, that stage passed several years ago,
although there are distractions, this is a very serious lady and does have some modest but peculiar
requests ( personal hygiene, wearing shoes in public, intelligible speech, air-conditioning, something called
"a bed" and then something called "a table" and also something called "some chairs" and also something
called "a washer and a dryer" and so on).  I have reviewed these requests and a few seem reasonable,
and even innovative.  There will be some adjustments.  I will adapt.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#34]

--Designated/M good to see you and no won't get too busy, that stage passed several years ago,
although there are distractions, this is a very serious lady and does have some modest but peculiar
requests ( personal hygiene, wearing shoes in public, intelligible speech, air-conditioning, something called
"a bed" and then something called "a table" and also something called "some chairs" and also something
called "a washer and a dryer" and so on).  I have reviewed these requests and a few seem reasonable,
View Quote
Jeez, you give some people and inch and they take a mile. 
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#35]
--Designated, I fully agree, although I am anticipating some compensating rewards for my compliance.  And I
am particularly intrigued by this automated cleansing of garments.  Fortunately in her relatively short life
she has managed to acquire all of these revolutionary technologies.  So the expense will be minimal. I am
however supposed to contribute some relevant manual labor.  This will be negotiated shortly.  We have some
experience at this: she suggested I wear more ( shoes, and socks, and so on ) and I recommended that in
exchange, she might wear less.  The discussion was amicable.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#36]
@DCBourone

Thy inbox overfloweth...
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#37]
--I see you, STj.  Knives.  Many many knives?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
Check out DC getting all domesticated...

In all seriousness though moving in is a big deal.  Congrats buddy, I hope the two of you have a long and happy life together. I learned about the difference between a "mattress" and a "bed," a "trunk" and a "coffee table," and the importance of not cleaning guns on the island in the kitchen when my wife moved in.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#40]
A 15 year old promise takes a lurching step.

It's a teaser, if you are subscribed to my channel something really cool will be up before dawn.

It's hard to explain how much I love this stuff.  It's just 'practice', of course, but dang it feels good to learn things so long forgotten.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#41]
--greyguy, I am afraid any appearances of domestication will be brief, and entirely cosmetic in nature.  I am historically
disinclined to remain in one place.   So/But a large step,
rarely taken, for many reasons.  And as everyone knows, incorporating a new life form into an otherwise stable environment
can create many challenges.  I am, for instance, considering various kinds of fencing, motion sensors, possibly a moat.
She in turn has only another very modest request: that I accustom myself to some kind of collar, and a leash.  Particularly
when we venture among the public.  As always, the discussion has been amicable.  Because this strange creature happens
to be highly symmetrical and  very photogenic, at some point a picture might be in order.  Another challenge then: she is also
agile, shy, and most active at night.

--Ctrapper, I see you have a keen eye for all the difficulties of managing a relationship between often incompatible species.
Imagine, for instance, living with a crow.  That is always trying to hide your favorite shiny things.  At least this creature
already speaks, quite brilliantly.  Not always the case, as everyone knows.

--STJ I can imagine how much you like this stuff.  See inbox.  And very nice watching the steam rise off your FAL.  And that business
in the cave run, loud, was it?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:14:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#42]
--STJ I can imagine how much you like this stuff.  See inbox.  And very nice watching the steam rise off your FAL.  And that business
in the cave run, loud, was it?
View Quote
Ha!  Failure conditions training...almost a success.

"Strange FALs, lying in pools, distributing bullets is no basis for a good match placement..."

Cave was shockingly quiet and crazy fun.

The aforementioned 'more impressive' video  Just look at the heat coming off that billet!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Here's hoping I look this good in 130 years. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#44]
--STJ, very pleasing to see the FAL assert itself.  A perfect Librarian weapon--archaic, overbuilt,
graceful, brutal.  Cave/quiet cave/not loud--what kind earpro/other?  Also wet/humid, or you
would have been blind by dust/crap from walls/roof.  Maybe you have done so, fire the FAL
in that cave and you will feel it in your lungs/heart/throat, even with your mouth open.

--Heat off of steel: more please.

--Designated/M, another Librarian tool, we collect these things, and save them for the future.
Beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:39:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PFunkk] [#45]
Looking forward to a book.

I like good books.

I think The Soldier's Son is a great story, and that it would be an excellent book.

If ever, it were offered as a book, I'd buy it. Because I like a great story, especially a story that would make an excellent book.

Finish the book, and let us read said book.

Hurry up.

I'd really like to exchange my money for your book.

Hurry up.

Edit: spelling
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#46]
--crack me up, PF.  You will have your book.  And books.  And coins.  And many other things.

Today I "helped" move two cats into a house with a dog.  The dog's wishful identity for many years
has been "Chief Assassin of Cats, Exterminator, Master Deleter of All Things Feline"....
But this dog is also insanely obedient, affectionate, trustworthy.  Now she crouches
several feet away from said cats, who are quite fierce, and very well clawed, whining,
whining for permission to put the universe into a proper balance: without cats.
And the answer is "no."
Hysterical.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#47]
The End must be Nigh!! Cats and Good Dogs TOGETHER under a Communal Roof?  What will happen next?  Will the Good Dog be Good and Obey or will the Good Dog be Great and find a way to Obey whilst "Deleting" said felines?  Or will the Good Dog simply CSS? (Chomp, Swallow, Shut up)?  Or will TSS just finally appear fully formed and Correct?  Nobody Truly Knows!!

We wait with baited (Dog) breath.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#48]
GENERAL NOTE: crawling forward, one letter, one quote, one indentation at a time. THERE SHOULD BE TWO MORE UPDATES. AFTER THE UPDATES there
should be a brief period while I wait for this thread to be modified per Amazon TOS and
test
the upload on Amazon. Nuff said at this time.

GENERAL NOTE: interesting to watch the seasonal "timing" of
reads/posts--this thread forum "very slow" since early June. Imagine the
databases other entities are building. They are. Most of them are not
our friends. By definition, no database of this/that nature is "our
friend" simply by the very nature of its existence.

GENERAL NOTE: I assume that everyone who has made it this far is a
diligent reader/skeptic/parser of public news feeds. Recent events over
the last six months are slowly, very slowly, forcing a kind of clarity
on the who/why/when/where/what. A titanic contest. This contest will not
end, or resolve, in our lifetimes. Nuff said at this time. No proper
names please. Just observe in private.  We are witnessing a version of 'the madness of crowds'--the madness very carefully arranged/steered/altered as needed.  Nothing new under the sun.  Has everyone here seen Mel Gibson's "Apocalypto"?  Not entertaining at all.  Not intended to be.  Gibson might be mad as a hatter, but he sure nailed that story.

--GreenGiant--yes, this book will materialize, a monolith in the fog.  The dog is behaving properly although with much whining and consternation.  Two of the cats are burly rescue streetfighters, and quite cheerfully warned the doggie of the severest consequences if they were molested.  Hysterical. Chomp Swallow Shut Up, awesome, GG.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#49]
DCB - Just putting in my .02 worth. I've been mostly a lurker, but have been following this story for a long time. Your imagination, technical knowledge, attention to detail, and reference to reality is amazing!  When the book comes out, you can be sure that I will buy it, to make sure that you get some return on the great investment that you've made in this effort.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:41:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stimpsonjcat] [#50]
This is not an update...I made a mistake.
Page / 84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top