Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2020 10:14:26 AM EDT
I believe the large discussion regarding OTC and Home Remedies for the CoronaVirus in the GD CoronaVirus Thread deserves a dedicated thread in the survival forum.

There is a tremendous amount of knowledgeable people giving great advice and asking great questions and I think it would be more helpful to have a dedicated thread so people wishing to better educated themselves don't have to search through a bunch of noise and unrelated discussion.

I'll be creating CoronaVirus Sub-Topic Threads for other useful topics that I think should be focused on as well, from the GD Thread.

Remember, this is a Tech Forum, NOT GD.  This is not the place for discussions as to whether this is a "nothing burger" or if it makes sense to be prepared.

Please focus on:
Daily Prescription Meds
CPAP Operation
OTC Options
Homeopathic Options
How can I prevent my Fish from getting CoronaVirus?
Things I can Stock-up on?
Etc.

Link Back to Master-CoronaVirus-Thread-with-Links-to-Sub-Topics-for-the-sake-of-Organizing-and-Focusing-Info
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Drug life beyond marked shelf life

If I have a chance tonight, I’ll try to post more links about this type of issue. There used to be more publicly available data from the DOD/FDA/other alphabet research program SLEP (Shelf Life Extension Program), but it all appears to have been scrubbed from the public areas and now dwells behind a DOD login.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/to-fight-coronavirus-outbreak-doctors-deploy-drugs-targeting-hiv-malaria-and-ebola/

In this linked story, and others, it's been said chloraquine is a possible treatment. It has had success in the lab treating corona virus but no human trials. It's a malaria drug, you need a prescription. It is also used to treat tropical fish and can be found on ebay if you have tropical fish with "ich" or "ick"

I would not recommend to anyone to use powerful antiviral drugs without first consulting a doctor. They can have serious side effects. I posted this purely for the furthering of mankind's knowledge.

If I had sick tropical fish I might look here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chloroquine-Phosphate-Treats-marine-ich-velvet-brook-AQUARIUM-USE-ONLY/254458306205?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=554104129340&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Here is some info from the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/resources/pdf/fsp/drugs/Chloroquine.pdf
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there a list of Over the Counter Medications that would be a good idea to stock up on?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#4]
This is an immune system probiotic.

Immuno-LP20, its character as an immunobiotic, and as multiple peer-reviewed studies show, its cell protective and regenerative function supports quality of life improvements that include dramatic reduction of upper respiratory infection
View Quote
Amazon Product
  • Maintains immune health

• Promotes microbial balance

• Supports digestive health

This is the active ingredient in Mucinex, an expectorant to help clear mucus from your lungs. Cheaper and no acetaminophen.

Amazon Product
  • GUAIFENESIN FA 400mg acts as a powerful expectorant by helping loosen and liquefy mucus
  • 400 MG FAST ACTING guaifenesin formula. No sweeteners, flavorings or dyes. Salicylate and soy free.
  • HELPS LOOSEN PHLEGM (mucus) and thin bronchial secretions to rid the bronchial passageways of bothersome mucus and make coughs more productive

Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone else mentioned children’s Sudafed syrup for opening airways if they have trouble swallowing.

Amazon Product
  • 4-fluid ounces of Children's Sudafed PE Nasal Decongestant provides temporary relief for children's nasal congestion and sinus pressure due to the common cold and hay fever
  • Non-drowsy nasal decongestant formula that is alcohol-free and sugar-free and includes the active ingredient of phenylephrine HCl as a nasal decongestant
  • Find both sinus pressure and nasal congestion relief with this cold medicine for kids ages 4-11 with a non-drowsy formula

Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I just want to tag this thread.

Later when I get time I'll write out what I did.

I use overseas pharmacies as much as possible. I checked out what I could find about what drugs were used to treat patients so far and was able to order 70% of them or so.

I still have more to research, specifically what can make you as healthy as possible so you have a better chance of beating it immediately inserted of doing home care until you have to have an ICU
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone else mentioned children’s Sudafed syrup for opening airways if they have trouble swallowing.

www.amazon.com/dp/B000UZMD00
View Quote
That is plain phenylephrine

No pseudoephedrine in it
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No pseudoephedrine in it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No pseudoephedrine in it
Well, shit.

I guess my state has too many tweakers & too many politicians.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Silfedrine syrup for kids is the good stuff, but you have to buy it just like you buy Sudafed.

Not supposed to use for kids under 6.  The dosage for ages 6-12 is 2tsp.  That said, the active dose in 2tsp is the same as a single Sudafed pill (30mg).  (Not the extended relief version of Sudafed though, that's too much.)  You can figure the rest out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#10]
What's the consensus for warding off and/or fighting cytokine storms?  I've seen contradictory information on things like turmeric (curcumin) and fish oil (omega 3 / epa / dha) - some places saying that they could help, some places saying that they could make things worse.

I've seen quite a few mentions of mucinex.  What about an anti-histamine like benadryl to help dry out the mucous (or does that just make it worse)?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Work has me attending an ems.gov webinar specifically for first responders that may come into contact with patients suffering from covid-19 on Monday. I will see what they have to say.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't have time now to link or put my experiences with the following but I have been into alternative medicine for 30 years:

MSM - opens up lungs bronchial tubes and kills bacteria, fungus, in lungs as well as yeast in gut. Anti inflammatory.

Turmeric/Curcumin- great liver cleanser, kills bacteria, anti inflammatory, etc.

Ginger or ginger powder supplement (not baking spice form) - clears lungs, anti inflammatory, fights bacteria, etc

Oreganal P73 (oil of oregano) - will kills viruses, bacteria, and other harmful pathogens

Colloidal Silver (500 ppm) - kills bacteria and may pathogens

Hi doses of vitamin C (intravenously is best), buffered time release from is great - will greatly reduce any virus count in the blood system. 5,000 - 15,000 mgs/day

Frankincense oil for topical use in chest and to breathe in. Kills bacteria, mold, fungus, yeast, etc. clears lungs.

ESSIAC (also commercially sold as Flor Essence which is like the Hoxey formula) - sheep sorrel is one of the main ingredients which is very effective against viruses and I have read that it is being used in China. I have used Essiac for almost 30 years https://www.essiacproducts.com/history and here: Hoxsey: The Quack Who Cured Cancer - How The AMA & FDA Shut Down 17 Cancer Clinics Hosted by actor Max Gail (Sgt. Wojohowicz from the TV show Barney Miller) After Max's wife died of cancer and he looked for alternative treatments.

Note: If you use Google or Startpage to search anything on alternative medicine these search engines block almost all sites which are pro herbal/alternative medicine and will only give disinformation from pro-pharmaceutical company sources, CDC, AMA, etc.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:06:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is an immune system probiotic.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00VCYMYRAThis is the active ingredient in Mucinex, an expectorant to help clear mucus from your lungs. Cheaper and no acetaminophen.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00AVZL0QM
View Quote
I’m a pretty pessimistic person when it comes to homeopathic medications BUT, I’ve been taking that Swanson immune now since it was recommended a month ago in the main thread.  I can say, I’m around sick students all day long and with my own daughter having influenza during this last week and I’ve not come down hard with the flu. I think I had it the week before last and felt worn down and that was it.  I’m a believer on the Swanson and just ordered 3 more months
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Being deficient in vitamin d has been linked with higher risk for upper respiratory illness.

So make sure you are supplementing it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Not that it applies specifically to this new virus but something I posted in the giant Kung Flu thread:

Years ago, the gubmint forced Primatene Mist to be banned because of the CFC they used as a propellant. When they went to change propellant, the FDA forced them to apply like it was a new drug. The company balked and stopped production entirely. They recently got approval to restart production with the new propellant. The dose of epinephrine per puff changed from .22mg/puff for the original to .125/puff for the new stuff. For those that don't know what it is, it's a bronchodilator typically used when someone is having an acute asthma attack and also when an allergic reaction happens that causes breathing problems.

I'm not sure if this would help with an acute respiratory problem of the type COVID-19 might cause/create but it's not a bad thing to have around anyway for runaway allergic reactions and/or if you have asthma already and are having an attack.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Primatene-MIST/493346567
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Good to know about the Vitamin D.

I just read a little on Primatine Mist.  I was concerned because things like Flonase are a steroid, and there are a lot of warnings flying around about how steroids were bad for SARS and MERS (though, not being a doctor I don't know if there is a difference between the inhaled kind in Flonase and the pill kind that the doc gives).  A quick search on Web MD says that Primatine appears to have "epinephrine" as the main ingredient.  Not sure if there is any info on whether that is okay or not with covid19.

[Edited to remove question about the Vicks Vapo-Inhaler. There appears to be more than one version - a medicated and a non-medicated version, making my question and photo contradictory and confusing.]
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good to know about the Vitamin D.

I just read a little on Primatine Mist.  I was concerned because things like Flonase are a steroid, and there are a lot of warnings flying around about how steroids were bad for SARS and MERS (though, not being a doctor I don't know if there is a difference between the inhaled kind in Flonase and the pill kind that the doc gives).  A quick search on Web MD says that Primatine appears to have "epinephrine" as the main ingredient.  Not sure if there is any info on whether that is okay or not with covid19.

I also have one of these laying around:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/bea83db3-66d8-47e7-b3c0-cb7ae9f1884e_1.c3bccdbd3cef0fa05a82faf17c9fcf8a.jpeg?odnWidth=450&odnHeight=450&odnBg=ffffff

What's scary is that the product description on Amazon says this:

"Failure to follow these warnings could result in serious consequences. Liver Warning: This product contains acetaminophen. Severe liver damage may occur if you take: More than 4 doses in 24 hours, which is the maximum daily amount for this product. With other drugs containing acetaminophen."

This strikes me as odd because it lists the ingredients as: "Ingredients: Camphor, Menthol, Methyl Salicylate, Siberian Fir (Abies sibirica) Oil." - no mention of acetaminophen.  Maybe it's just a goof on Amazon's part?  Not sure.  Even if it doesn't contain acetaminophen, I still wonder about the safety for use with covid19 of a possible "rebound" effect whereby after the dose wears off, my lungs close up more than they were to begin with.
View Quote
Shows on the package...   Levmetamfetamine

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/36604#section=Depositor-Provided-PubMed-Citations

Levomethamphetamine crosses the blood-brain-barrier and acts as a TAAR1 agonist,[3] functioning as a selective norepinephrine releasing agent in the central nervous system...

Levomethamphetamine increases norepinephrine release resulting in increased vasoconstriction...

https://www.drugs.com/otc/102950/vicks-vapoinhaler.html
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks.  I removed the Vicks Inhaler portion of my post as I didn't realize that there were multiple versions of it, some with a "drug" active ingredient and some without.  My original question about whether it would be safe to use (drug-free or drugged version) is still valid, but with covid19 I'm guessing that nobody knows since most of the information out there is all guesswork at this point.

The sad part is that I have no idea which version I have...  The plastic label on the tube is held on only by friction and fell off a long time ago so now it's just a nondescript white tube.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I received my 50 dose package of Curcumin today.

I plan on taking it if this shit gets crazy in my AO.

I have no info other than this ... but its a natural product, so I doubt it will kill me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Actual Pseudoephedrine is very inexpensive at Costco. They sell OTC but you have to show ID to the pharmacy staff.

Colloidal silver, homeopathy etc. are all crap. Sorry, science is a thing.

Infection control and being prepared to not have food, meds, maybe fuel delivery for a span of time; stocking up at home; being prepared for supportive care including oral rehydration all better measures.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#21]
reminder, I believe you can request your prescriptions earlier than the pharmacy would fill them otherwise, but you will probably have to pay out of pocket.  My Mom and Dad just did this for blood pressure and cholesterol meds.

I'm also assuming they wouldn't do this for narcotics, etc
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 2:01:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I already have a stock, but if I was starting from scratch:

- Vitamins (esp C) - taking C, despite all the hype and ridicule, does help your immune system
- Ibuprofen or other fever buster - but only to be used if the fever gets to a dangerous level
- Rehydration supplies
- Thermometer (with the battery, right?  RIGHT?)
- Mucinex
- DayQuil/NightQuil Extreme Flu
- Tea, Honey, Lemons
- Adequate blankets
- General antibiotic to prevent secondary bacterial infections (only to be used if pneumonia sets in)
- Chapstick, glycerine
- Kleenex
- Emesis tray (for the inevitable pukefest)
- Electric blanket and hot water bottle, thick socks and soft, loose pajamas
- Vicks VapoRub

- Given some of the clinical feedback, I'd consider getting some antivirals and keeping them on hand just in case.

- Now this one, you're gonna dogpile me...but trust me...someone gave me this when I lived in Singapore and got sick.  It's called Nin Jiom Pa Pe Koa....sold at most of the pharmacy's and all the chinese groceries.  Walmart carries it.  It contains like 14 different herbs including loquat.  It is simply the best OTC immune booster and support herbal I have ever used.  Looks like black honey, tastes good.  Three times a day, a Tablespoon or two. Works great on the eyes, mucous membranes, lungs.

- Try to keep the lungs clear by starting expectorant early.  Sleep on stomach if necessary.  Get up and move. Hot showers and baths.  Food with lots of garlic and onions, even mustard helps.

- Go talk to your grandma about how they treated flu back in the old days.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 2:18:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have no info other than this ... but its a natural product, so I doubt it will kill me.
View Quote
I take Curcumin daily to help with joint inflamation. It has a very, very mild effect. You probably need really high doses to help fight off a serious illness. That 50 servings might be closer to 15 useful servings.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Fluticasone nasal spray and Zaditor eyedrops for the allergic people in the family.

They don't do anything for the virus if you get it but if your eyes and nose itch less you are less likely to be digging at them with contaminated hands.

I've been using this stuff religiously since October and have yet (knock wood) to get sick even though everyone in my office has been pretty bad, .  
I think its because my allergies are under much better control and its easier to not scratch.

CG, big bundle of allergies and lifelong asthmatic
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not big on homeopathic but I do like vitamins and herbs. I don't need Merck to break down the herb change it patent it and charge me through the nose calling it science that is silly.
I will be taking daily as a preventative to build my family's immune system.
Curcumin 1000 mg 20,000 if sick. IV if I can find it.
Vitamin C 3000-10000 mg 100,000 IV if sick
Vitamin D 5000 iu. 50,000 3 times a day for 3 days if sick
Black seed oil 500 mg but a few ounces if sick.
Saccharomyces boulardii probiotics great for controlling diarrhea.
Oregano oil has some success with the cold so a bunch of it. We have it in pill form.
All of the Bs methylated.
Probably will be taking
Elderberry
Olive leaf
Echinacea.
And more... I will be firing the shotgun at it.

I do have Afrin, Mucinex, tylenol, and antibiotics also.

I need to practice starting IVs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I take Curcumin daily to help with joint inflamation. It has a very, very mild effect. You probably need really high doses to help fight off a serious illness. That 50 servings might be closer to 15 useful servings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#28]
This thread is full of some good intel......I'm not here to say anything about that

The title is useful, but like many technical threads leads to hours worth of confusing reading and some personal opinion rather than facts and just getting to the damn point. The store will be closed before most people can take it all in and figure out what the hell to buy.

Perhaps the first post should be edited to provide a shopping list of fast answers to those looking them.  They can come back to read the rest when they get home.

Not an insult to the thread, just a suggestion
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
thanks for the info.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for the info.  
I think 20,000 mg a day is the cancer treatment so thats my plan. 12 grams at once makes my stomach a little upset so will need to space it out.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This thread is full of some good intel......I'm not here to say anything about that

The title is useful, but like many technical threads leads to hours worth of confusing reading and some personal opinion rather than facts and just getting to the damn point. The store will be closed before most people can take it all in and figure out what the hell to buy.

Perhaps the first post should be edited to provide a shopping list of fast answers to those looking them.  They can come back to read the rest when they get home.

Not an insult to the thread, just a suggestion
View Quote
I would go for Now brand on amazon for most things.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I would go for Now brand on amazon for most things.
View Quote
I'm sorry, but totally not the point of what I was trying to say.

Many people are going to click on this thread hoping to find some relatively speedy and concise information regarding "Medications, OTC & Homeopathic Medicines to Combat CoronaVirus" That they can run out and get to beat the panic and settle their anxiety......

They will not find that,
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Just FYI your  otc pain relief meds, aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen rely heavily on China for global supply chain.  Many manufacturers there and for the chemicals to make the final product are made there.

Don’t want to get into to complicated discussions but not a bad thing to pick up some extra, just in case.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Note: If you use Google or Startpage to search anything on alternative medicine these search engines block almost all sites which are pro herbal/alternative medicine and will only give disinformation from pro-pharmaceutical company sources, CDC, AMA, etc.
View Quote
ASIDE:  Use duckduckgo as your landing page and/or search engine.  No biases or manipulation like google and they don't track searches.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#34]
From the homeopathic arena here's an unusual one- anyone ever heard of thieves oil? Supposedly used during the bubonic plague.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Chloroquine [an anti-viral] has been mentioned in the Chinese literature as having been used with some success.

It has also been poo-poo'ed in the Big_Virus thread.

As far as I know, it is still available online from India and eBay.

I'm not aware of other anti-virals being mentioned positively, except for a few HIV ones.

I haven't found a source for them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
From the homeopathic arena here's an unusual one- anyone ever heard of thieves oil? Supposedly used during the bubonic plague.
View Quote
Not homeopathic chemicals derived from plants that are antibacterial and anti viral in nature.
DO NOT buy it just look up some formulas and buy some cheap oils make your own.
It does work I would add oregano oil to any you make and it will teach all involved not to touch there faces....
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#37]
I will be adding NAC to the pile.
N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC) inhibits virus replication and expression of pro-inflammatory molecules in A549 cells infected with highly pathogenic H5N1 influenza A virus.
Geiler J1, Michaelis M, Naczk P, Leutz A, Langer K, Doerr HW, Cinatl J Jr.
Author information
Abstract
The antioxidant N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC) had been shown to inhibit replication of seasonal human influenza A viruses. Here, the effects of NAC on virus replication, virus-induced pro-inflammatory responses and virus-induced apoptosis were investigated in H5N1-infected lung epithelial (A549) cells. NAC at concentrations ranging from 5 to 15 mM reduced H5N1-induced cytopathogenic effects (CPEs), virus-induced apoptosis and infectious viral yields 24 h post-infection. NAC also decreased the production of pro-inflammatory molecules (CXCL8, CXCL10, CCL5 and interleukin-6 (IL-6)) in H5N1-infected A549 cells and reduced monocyte migration towards supernatants of H5N1-infected A549 cells. The antiviral and anti-inflammatory mechanisms of NAC included inhibition of activation of oxidant sensitive pathways including transcription factor NF-kappaB and mitogen activated protein kinase p38. Pharmacological inhibitors of NF-kappaB (BAY 11-7085) or p38 (SB203580) exerted similar effects like those determined for NAC in H5N1-infected cells. The combination of BAY 11-7085 and SB203580 resulted in increased inhibitory effects on virus replication and production of pro-inflammatory molecules relative to either single treatment. NAC inhibits H5N1 replication and H5N1-induced production of pro-inflammatory molecules. Therefore, antioxidants like NAC represent a potential additional treatment option that could be considered in the case of an influenza A virus pandemic.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#38]
https://stephencabral.com/podcast/760/

I have been following this naturopathic doctor.  The podcast linked here is specific to antiviral regimine.  He will usually tell you which scientific study or evidence based practice supports the information he gives out.  His book, "The Rain Barrel Effect" combined with his podcasts are life changing information.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
FWIW, I take Turmeric/Curcumin, MSM and Ginger (to aid Turmeric absorption) twice a day to help with joint inflamation and arthritis.  I don't know if using it to ward off bacteria and viruses will follow the same playbook, but it took me about three weeks of taking my combination before I noticed some relief.

I also can't take more than 1500 mg at a time, or it tears up my intestines.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#40]
What's an effective and safe way to disinfect CPAP equipment?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Chloroquine [an anti-viral] has been mentioned in the Chinese literature as having been used with some success.

It has also been poo-poo'ed in the Big_Virus thread.

As far as I know, it is still available online from India and eBay.

I'm not aware of other anti-virals being mentioned positively, except for a few HIV ones.

I haven't found a source for them.
View Quote
Begging the question - which is more dangerous, CoVID19 or random pharmaceuticals from India / EBay?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dishwasher on sterilize maybe.

I put my the mouthpiece to the nebulizer on the top rack and it seems fine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
5 minutes in isopropyl alcohol and rinse with hot water.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 2:11:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Chloroquine [an anti-viral] has been mentioned in recent Chinese and S-K literature as having been used with some success.

Today, Medcram 34 [youtube] did an explanation how Zn ions with the cell, can keep the CV-19 virus from replicating.

The problem is Zn can't enter cells without an ionepore [sp? ] to provide a pathway.

Anti-viral Chloroquine provides that pathway and several papers ref'd in the video re: zinc and Chloroquine, from 2010 and 2014, show how this may be a safe and effective combination to fight the virus.

Also in the vid is a death rate comparison between S-K, that uses Chloroquine, and Italy that does not.

S-K had 1/10 deaths. Of course, before the anal get too picky, other factors may be involved.

I suggest folks watch the video, the info shows great promise.

Chloroquine is avail on eBay again and I noticed about 50 orders sold in the past few days.

Stongly recommend folks watch the vid.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 5:36:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Say an individual can't afford to invest in an oxygen concentrator right now, but has the opportunity to pick up some used medical O2 cylinders and regulators within budget.  Does one need an MD's prescription to get the tanks refilled?
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:16:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Say an individual can't afford to invest in an oxygen concentrator right now, but has the opportunity to pick up some used medical O2 cylinders and regulators within budget.  Does one need an MD's prescription to get the tanks refilled?
View Quote
Having looked into this some years ago...

Ask your local independent welding supply place. It might require the valve be changed. Something someone can do. Are the tanks still certified? Look at the date at the neck and call a med O2 supplier [horrible racket].

Alternatively, get a fill adapter on eBay and rent a couple 300 cu ft tanks from the welding shop and fill them yourself. Or use those and skip the med tanks, return after the pandemic.

I posted abt this a while back.

We can go into details if you want.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Ok here's one:

I have been reading studies on tumeric and curcumin. Lots of them.

Lots of supposedly amazing properties. Antiviral, anticancer, etc. Etc. Etc.

The supposed properties are interesting, but the real issue is how to get the curcuminoid compounds into the body. Curcumin is rapidly metabolized by the liver and eating large amounts only results in small spikes in blood tests.

Black Pepper (particularly a compound in pepper called peperine) causes one of the metabolic pathways of tumeric to be available by disrupting the livers ability to break down the curcumin components.

So if you are going to buy OTC tumeric suppliments, it's not going to be bioavailable without peperine. There are numerous mechanisms of delivery but very few available to us which will enhance bioavalibility. Anyone have atomized curcuminoid compounds to use in a nebulizer? Nope. Me neither. Peperine it is.

So while not a full on scientific study, my kids cause everyone to get sick. One has it then we all get sick. Right now there is a thick cough which everyone was developing with lots of nasal discharge.

The only ones who didn't get sick are me, my wife, and my 9 year old. We could all swallow the tumeric horse pills. The 3 younger guys could not and they have been coughing for a few days now.

Of particular interest is that curcumin has effectively mitigated the ability of enveloped, RNA virus to attach to cell walls. It does not destroy the virus, but rather inhibits the ability of the virus to attach to the cell walls. Corona is an enveloped RNA virus.

Study

No idea what kind of dosing is needed for therapeutic efficacy, but we are taking 1000mg qday.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Ask your local independent welding supply place. It might require the valve be changed. Something someone can do. Are the tanks still certified? Look at the date at the neck and call a med O2 supplier [horrible racket].

Alternatively, get a fill adapter on eBay and rent a couple 300 cu ft tanks from the welding shop and fill them yourself. Or use those and skip the med tanks, return after the pandemic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I thought I remembered a discussion about it somewhere, but trying to find a specific sub-thread in the tangle of C-19 posts is frustrating.

Wasn't sure if welding O2 was pure enough to breathe; back in younger days it wasn't uncommon for guys on the construction crew to take a few hits from a cutting torch after having a bit too much fun the night before but just figured that if possible, probably better just to get them refilled the right way.  Probably not something I'd do frequently; just another level of "just in case" supplies.  But if I do in fact need a script to get it done I'll probably look at the alternatives you mention.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Someone else mentioned children's Sudafed syrup for opening airways if they have trouble swallowing.

View Quote
That is Sudafed PE, meaning phenylephrine rather than traditional pseudoephedrine.  Phenylephrine is basically useless...  multiple studies have shown it is no better than a placebo.  Pseudoephedrine is the decongestant that works, but it is sold behind the counter and you have to provide your ID in most states to buy it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah, I thought I remembered a discussion about it somewhere, but trying to find a specific sub-thread in the tangle of C-19 posts is frustrating.

Wasn't sure if welding O2 was pure enough to breathe; back in younger days it wasn't uncommon for guys on the construction crew to take a few hits from a cutting torch after having a bit too much fun the night before but just figured that if possible, probably better just to get them refilled the right way.  Probably not something I'd do frequently; just another level of "just in case" supplies.  But if I do in fact need a script to get it done I'll probably look at the alternatives you mention.
View Quote
Time is quickly running out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top