Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2020 10:25:52 AM EDT
I believe the large discussion regarding Batteries & Fuel in the GD CoronaVirus Thread deserves a dedicated thread in the survival forum.

There is a tremendous amount of knowledgeable people giving great advice and asking great questions and I think it would be more helpful to have a dedicated thread so people wishing to better educated themselves don't have to search through a bunch of noise and unrelated discussion.

I'll be creating CoronaVirus Sub-Topic Threads for other useful topics that I think should be focused on as well, from the GD Thread.

Remember, this is a Tech Forum, NOT GD.  This is not the place for discussions as to whether this is a "nothing burger" or if it makes sense to be prepared.

Please focus on:
Battery/Fuel Availability
Fuel Can Availability & Issues - Start Here
Battery/ Fuel Storage Methods
Fuel for Heat
Fuel for Vehicles
Fuel for Generators
Alternatives
- Small Solar
- Large Solar
- Wind
Proper Generator Usage and Connections
Light Sources
- Flashlights
- Candles
- String Lights
Etc

Link Back to Master-CoronaVirus-Thread-with-Links-to-Sub-Topics-for-the-sake-of-Organizing-and-Focusing-Info
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#1]
What makes coronavirus light preps different from lighting preps for anything else?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What makes coronavirus light preps different from lighting preps for anything else?
View Quote
Nothing, but I figured people coming from outside the regular SF Forum guys, would be looking for CoronaVirus specific info.

I've always believed that if you prepare for a long term Hurricane/Winter Storm type event, you'd have covered 90% of prepping scenarios.

That said, focusing discussions might also help fill out the remaining 10% for others.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#3]
In Lights, etc., make note that solar yard lights are pretty effective when you have enough sun daily to keep them charged up. For those with a lot of sun - unlike some of us with a week or more of winter overcasts - you simply drag them into the house for illumination, then at bedtime plant them back outside to charge up tomorrow. One in a bathroom as a night lite works ok, too.

They are dirt cheap and commonly available now in multipaks. It's spring so the garden departments are stocking up with the ones made last fall - in China.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In Lights, etc., make note that solar yard lights are pretty effective when you have enough sun daily to keep them charged up. For those with a lot of sun - unlike some of us with a week or more of winter overcasts - you simply drag them into the house for illumination, then at bedtime plant them back outside to charge up tomorrow. One in a bathroom as a night lite works ok, too.

They are dirt cheap and commonly available now in multipaks. It's spring so the garden departments are stocking up with the ones made last fall - in China.
View Quote
Many of the solar lights use replaceable batteries, often AAs.  You can remove the batteries that come with the lights and use the lights to recharge your AA batteries

For light, I have LED lanterns, the pop-up to turn on type.  They use 3 AAs and put out a lot of light and the batteries last a long time. I have a number of LED headlights and flashlights.  All take either AAA or AA batteries.

I have a couple of dozen Eneloops and Ladda rechargeable batteries, not to mention 100 or so Alkaline batteries.  I have a number of the aforementioned solar yard lights, as well as a portable solar panel to recharge the batteries. I'll add a larger solar panel, controller, and batteries soon.

Pretty simple setup, but functional.  We won't be living in the dark unless we want to.  We also have a number of candles, some 100 hour, some normal ones.  Plenty of matches, lighters, flint n steel, etc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Any suggestions for small pure-sine wave inverters? Enough to run a typical residential refrigerator or two, thinking 300W continuous/600W peak or so. I have a few MSW inverters, and they’ll work, but looking for suggestions on a better option.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:08:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nothing, but I figured people coming from outside the regular SF Forum guys, would be looking for CoronaVirus specific info.

I've always believed that if you prepare for a long term Hurricane/Winter Storm type event, you'd have covered 90% of prepping scenarios.

That said, focusing discussions might also help fill out the remaining 10% for others.
View Quote
Supply issues.

The things you need can be listed in two different lists:

- ranked by importance
- ranked by availability / time until supply is cut off

You need to keep an eye on that second list to be able to take an educated guess when the first one needs reordered.   For example, I'm already seeing certain things battery related (specific chargers and types of cells) going out of stock or getting delayed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I stock up on batteries every Black Friday.  I get hundreds of AA and AAA batteries. Way cheaper.

My plans that require fuel:
Propane stove for cooking. I have the adapter hose.
I want to have 5 propane tanks for it. I figure I can make a series of shelves in the corner of my shed that will hold them.
Kerosene heater for heat. MI gets cold and it is by far the big killer of preppers. Lots of people want to “head to the woods” FUCK THAT.
I figure 60 gallons should be enough for a winter.  I think a 55gallon drum and a few small containers to transfer oil.

My shed is gonna be a no smoking area for sure??
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey Guys,

So I'm looking for advice for Solar.  I don't want to attach solar panel to my house, because I prefer to have them portable, but I'd like my portable system to be able to power my house, or place up north in the future.

I recently purchased a 20" enclosed trailer and was wondering if there are any Solar guys who could give me advice on the concept of putting panels on the roof of the trailer and then feeding charge controller, batteries etc the would live either in the house or in an unattached garage?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hey Guys,

So I'm looking for advice for Solar.  I don't want to attach solar panel to my house, because I prefer to have them portable, but I'd like my portable system to be able to power my house, or place up north in the future.

I recently purchased a 20" enclosed trailer and was wondering if there are any Solar guys who could give me advice on the concept of putting panels on the roof of the trailer and then feeding charge controller, batteries etc the would live either in the house or in an unattached garage?
View Quote
Enough solar panels to run the house won’t fit on your trailer. You won’t get full rated power with them mounted flat on a roof.

Get a generator for your backup power needs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Enough solar panels to run the house won’t fit on your trailer. You won’t get full rated power with them mounted flat on a roof.

Get a generator for your backup power needs.
View Quote
I already have 2 generators (17kW whole house backup running off 1000 gal propane tank, 6000 Watt Portable Gasoline).

The solar was in an attempt to supplement the generators.  Mostly for running

Would it help if I were able to mount the solar panels on roof rack on the trailer (meant for ladders), that I could angle upward when using the panels?

Just found this on Youtube as a very similar example.  
"Solar Off-Grid RVing" John & Brenda's BIG Solar Trailer
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Just checked out a bunch of Youtube videos on this.

I think my misunderstanding about the feasibility of this lies in what I thought to be the size of the panels.

I thought they were 4'x2', like a ceiling tile, which would have translated into more panels than reality proved.  Those panels are much larger than a ceiling tile.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
THIS!

Very important.

H-F has a $29 solar floodlight that charges and uses 2 18650 Li batteries.

Can be used for all sorts of expedient applications.

The batteries are in sockets!!!

I ordered better batteries from ebay Seller, to replace them for longer run time.

And this item can be used to run/charge your pone and a multitude of other portable equipment like 2-way radios, etc.

A 'must-have' item.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey Guys,

View Quote
I've got 4 panels on the Stealth Trailer since 2008.  Outback CC and 2 G2 golf cart batteries, mains charger and monitoring instrumentation.

What do you want to know.

Your idea is doable.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 1:03:01 AM EDT
[#14]
A little info about battery storage some of y'all might find useful (I'm kind of a battery geek).

You can greatly decrease the discharge rate & extend cycle life by keeping your consumer-item batteries in the fridge. Lower temps reduce the chemical reaction that causes self-discharge. Some sources, including at least one manufacturer of alkalines, say this isn't necessary with modern batteries but I know from testing (as well as a basic knowledge of how batteries work) this isn't true. I seal them in freezer bags with a small dessicant pouch and throw them in the crisper. The lower the temp the better for the most part, but I would stay above freezing (I have suspicions this could cause issues, & haven't tested). I do this with disposable alkalines, lithium (ion, LifePo4, etc), & NiMh. NOTE: Let the reach room temp before drawing power from them, or attempting to charge them.

It's best to store batteries w/ lithium chemistry at ~40% state of charge. NiMh batteries can & should be stored at 100% state of charge (so they're ready to use), but only if they're the ones that state something along the lines of 'precharged' or 'ready to use' on the packaging. That's most of what you'll find now-days, but older NiMh batteries are different. I have quite a few radio batteries (lithium) that I've kept in the fridge (as above) at ~40% SOC which haven't lost any significant voltage for YEARS. The NiMh batteries stored full do lose a little bit... I top them off annually. Since the bulk of my lithium batteries are at 40% - meaning I'll need to charge them before putting them into use - I try to keep an alternative-battery option for anything that uses them.

Non-rechargeable alkaline batteries are usually a better option for storing in your car. Other chemistries can be more negatively impacted by extreme temps, particularly heat.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:36:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A little info about battery storage some of y'all might find useful (I'm kind of a battery geek).

You can greatly decrease the discharge rate & extend cycle life by keeping your consumer-item batteries in the fridge. Lower temps reduce the chemical reaction that causes self-discharge. Some sources, including at least one manufacturer of alkalines, say this isn't necessary with modern batteries but I know from testing (as well as a basic knowledge of how batteries work) this isn't true. I seal them in freezer bags with a small dessicant pouch and throw them in the crisper. The lower the temp the better for the most part, but I would stay above freezing (I have suspicions this could cause issues, & haven't tested). I do this with disposable alkalines, lithium (ion, LifePo4, etc), & NiMh. NOTE: Let the reach room temp before drawing power from them, or attempting to charge them.

It's best to store batteries w/ lithium chemistry at ~40% state of charge. NiMh batteries can & should be stored at 100% state of charge (so they're ready to use), but only if they're the ones that state something along the lines of 'precharged' or 'ready to use' on the packaging. That's most of what you'll find now-days, but older NiMh batteries are different. I have quite a few radio batteries (lithium) that I've kept in the fridge (as above) at ~40% SOC which haven't lost any significant voltage for YEARS. The NiMh batteries stored full do lose a little bit... I top them off annually. Since the bulk of my lithium batteries are at 40% - meaning I'll need to charge them before putting them into use - I try to keep an alternative-battery option for anything that uses them.

Non-rechargeable alkaline batteries are usually a better option for storing in your car. Other chemistries can be more negatively impacted by extreme temps, particularly heat.
View Quote
Thank you for posting this.

A tidbit.

I have heard here and there, that for very low discharge devices [let's say intrusion detectors with a 420 microamp drain, except when 'awakened'], quality AA alkaline batteries will last longer than Energizer [specifically] 1.7 vdc lithium batteries.

The 'hypothetical' detector is designed to use 5 AA alkaline batteries and they typically last ~130 days [depending on activation, when draw is very briefly, ~80ma].

Substituting lithium AA's requires only 4 batteries [in series of course], and they last ~200 days.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:45:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Another tidbit.

We have a bunch of Eneloop AAA and AA batteries from about 2006 and later still sealed in the retail packaging.

I can test them to see how much capacity is remaining when I get time [maybe when quarantined].

And also to see what their charge/discharge characteristics are, after 10 to 14 years since being manufactured.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Another tidbit.

We have a bunch of Eneloop AAA and AA batteries from about 2006 and later still sealed in the retail packaging.

I can test them to see how much capacity is remaining when I get time [maybe when quarantined].

And also to see what their charge/discharge characteristics are, after 10 to 14 years since being manufactured.
View Quote
Many thanks, @EXPY37 (not just for this. For many posts in the BIG thread that I can't even keep up with).

I'd DEFINITELY be interested in knowing what those test out to, for my own edification. Those are NiMH, correct?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Many thanks, @EXPY37 (not just for this. For many posts in the BIG thread that I can't even keep up with).

I'd DEFINITELY be interested in knowing what those test out to, for my own edification. Those are NiMH, correct?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another tidbit.

Capacity isn’t the controlling factor with older NiMH batteries, high I.R.s (internal resistance) are. This means that charging/discharging becomes harder and harder.

Think of your kitchen sink’s plumbing getting gummed up with deposits, to the point that water flow is restricted.

I don’t have Eneloops going back to 2006, but I do have a bunch going back to 2011 and 2012.

I just cycled them 3 times on a Maha C9000 and got some average capacity numbers using a 1A charge and 1A discharge rate, which is decent for most applications. I.R.s were all within nominal ranges, but have elevated since new.

White Eneloop standard 1900mAH date coded 09/2011:

1828 mAh
1860 “
1868 “
1882 “
1828 “
1893 “
1901 “
1904 “
1791 “
1787 “
1747 “
1895 “

Eneloop 5th Anniversary Glitter AAs 09/2012, by color:

1906/1907
1883/1899
1875/1883
1901/1894
1888/1895
1878/1905
1845/1891
1881/1896

Minimum capacity for standard Eneloops is 1900mAh.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks so much for the data, Chris!
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks so much for the data, Chris!
View Quote
Unless I need the extra 20% capacity, which I really don’t, I’m done buying Eneloop Hi-Caps, or the relabels.

2-3 years ‘til end of life, isn’t worth it to me.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've got 4 panels on the Stealth Trailer since 2008.  Outback CC and 2 G2 golf cart batteries, mains charger and monitoring instrumentation.

What do you want to know.

Your idea is doable.
View Quote
@EXPY37

Hey EXPY,
I'm trying to walk before I run with solar, I guess and I'd like to keep some portion of it portable, because I have a home and a vacation home.

First, my background is I'm a Fire Alarm guy, who knows quite a bit about electrical, but is more of a controls guy than a power distribution guy.

My Goal is to build a solar system, by incrementally.
1 - A few solar panels on the trailer to start, feeding
2 - Charge controllers, batteries and Inverters (I think).
3 - Then scale up adding panels and batteries over time.

My hope is to buy large enough charge controllers/inverters for the larger completed project up front, but feed them with only a few panels, charging only a few batteries.  Then as I get more money, just keep adding panels and batteries to the completed system size of roughly 30-40 panels.

My questions are:
Is this feasible?
Will the larger controllers/inverters not be efficient with few panels in the beginning?
how would you configure a panel system where roughly 30 panels would be stationary on maybe a roof, but it is supplemented by 4-6 more panels mounted on the roof of a trailer?
Where would you place the charger?  I'm assuming in the trailer, but the batteries and inverter would need to stay at the house.
Am i better off building 2 completely seperate systems?  (large house and small portable trailer systems)  I'm kind of leaning in this direction.
If I build the 2 seperate systems, can I still scale up the large one as described earlier?
I'm assuming 48 volt panels are best if I have long runs from panel to controller, but for the trailer, I'm assuming 12 volt is best?
Where is the best source to buy good Charge Controllers, Inverters, Panels, Etc?
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#22]
What are you guys using for fuel in your indoor oil lamps?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:39:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Any suggestions for small pure-sine wave inverters? Enough to run a typical residential refrigerator or two, thinking 300W continuous/600W peak or so. I have a few MSW inverters, and they’ll work, but looking for suggestions on a better option.
View Quote
Posting again as it was overlooked...I’m looking at the Amazon Bestek 500W pure sine wave inverter, thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Hi NH_P...

Just saw your questions, I'll try to answer line by line inside your post.

Quoted:

@EXPY37

Hey EXPY,
I'm trying to walk before I run with solar, I guess and I'd like to keep some portion of it portable, because I have a home and a vacation home.

First, my background is I'm a Fire Alarm guy, who knows quite a bit about electrical, but is more of a controls guy than a power distribution guy.

[Doesn't matter, knowledge is transferrable]

My Goal is to build a solar system, by incrementally.
1 - A few solar panels on the trailer to start, feeding
2 - Charge controllers, batteries and Inverters (I think).
3 - Then scale up adding panels and batteries over time.

My hope is to buy large enough charge controllers/inverters for the larger completed project up front, but feed them with only a few panels, charging only a few batteries.  Then as I get more money, just keep adding panels and batteries to the completed system size of roughly 30-40 panels.

[Good plan, I hope as I explain this it shows how little $$$ is needed]

My questions are:
Is this feasible?
[Quite]

Will the larger controllers/inverters not be efficient with few panels in the beginning?
[Won't make much difference ---AND PANELS ARE CHEAP! I'd stick with Outback Flexmax charge controllers, unless someone would provide a convincing argument to change]

how would you configure a panel system where roughly 30 panels would be stationary on maybe a roof, but it is supplemented by 4-6 more panels mounted on the roof of a trailer?
[I wouldn't bother tying them together]

Where would you place the charger?  I'm assuming in the trailer, but the batteries and inverter would need to stay at the house.
[I would make the charge-controller portable/plug in, using appropriate inexpensive forklift connectors or aircraft APU connectors [see eBay and myself] and move it where needed]
[There is too much loss at 12vdc to not have the charge-controller located directly at the battery bank. If there is only one battery bank, that's where it goes]

Am i better off building 2 completely seperate systems?  (large house and small portable trailer systems)  I'm kind of leaning in this direction.
[I think you are better off -initially- sharing the common more expensive system components, i.e., the charge controller]

If I build the 2 seperate systems, can I still scale up the large one as described earlier?

[Yes, because you are initially sharing the more expensive component]

I'm assuming 48 volt panels are best if I have long runs from panel to controller, but for the trailer, I'm assuming 12 volt is best?

[NO]

[Probably, since your low voltage wiring can be a lighter gauge. BUT- Put you panels in series -in consideration of the specs of the charge controller- then use 12vdc to the batteries in the trailer and 12vdc, 24vdc, 48vdc in your house, as your batteries become available]

[There are voltage limitations to the input of the charge controllers, the Outback trips out over 142vdc input----. Since I use 5 groups of 4 Sharp panels each, on the 'barn', in the winter [cold] the voltage to the 4 Outback's exceeds 142vdc so I designed a "Voltage Dropping Module" that prevents trip out of the Outback's when the voltage is high.

Where is the best source to buy good Charge Controllers, Inverters, Panels, Etc?

[eBay ]
View Quote
I have one quite complex system in the mountains [in the barn, with 20 ~240 watt Sharp panels, 4 Outback charge controllers, and 5 forklift battery banks, operating on 12vdc ---FOR REASONS, and one system in the shipping container with 6 of the panels, one Outback and 2 big Surette 6 volt batteries and 2 L16 batteries -in parallel [I know and I don't want to hear abt it because it works better ]

NH_P--- THE TRICK IS TO BUY STUFF ON EBAY, ASK QUESTIONS AND EXPEDIENTLY IMPROVISE, BE CREATIVE, AND SAVE $$$$.

While LEARNING!

I would suggest thinking out of the box and don't necessarily do what the 'modestly informed 'Purests' ' do, like they may have been trained, or read on the 'net.

Batteries can be your biggest expense ---or NOT---.  I'm running two batteries, must be nearly 25 year old fork-lift batteries, that were originally apparently used lightly, and in my daily charge discharge cycling, the specific gravity and internal resistance have restored to approach mfgr specs]

I'm also running 3 new fork lift batteries of the same 'jar' size, for a lot of capacity. Each of these cost me abt $1500.

The two old batteries cost a total of $200 used as pulled from a forklift, about 3 or 4 years ago.

Wire, circuit breakers, load centers, terminals, $1000 hydraulic crimpers for them, everything is available a great prices, sometimes 10 cents on the dollar, and I can't detail everything here, unless asked specifically. Ask!

What you want to do is doable, putting the panels on the trailer certainly is reasonable.

I'm not sure if I would put panels on a house on the grid.

I suggest not using the latest and greatest electronics, Outback, Xantrex, and good brand name panels, all of the same configuration for easy backup in the event of vandalism or failure, and inexpensive availability.

I posted so much here since 2009, about the above mentioned systems ---with pictures [that still work on Photobucket, although without paying I can't pull a url for them], just Google in a sophisticated search and you will many of the topics and pictures.

Again, think outside the box and don't believe without verification, what you hear folks say  ---INCLUDING me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
We used to use kerosene for the Aladdin's, but LED's have blown them out.

They were such a pain. Sort of like carrying a 1911 in the old days.

Still have an assortment of wick's, chimneys, etc.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you.

I can't read all of the big one either.

Can't get my prepping done, LOL!

So the batteries will have to take a back seat.

You can't image the complexities I'm dealing with.

I smell Clorox...
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Capacity isn’t the controlling factor with older NiMH batteries, high I.R.s (internal resistance) are. This means that charging/discharging becomes harder and harder.

Think of your kitchen sink’s plumbing getting gummed up with deposits, to the point that water flow is restricted.

I don’t have Eneloops going back to 2006, but I do have a bunch going back to 2011 and 2012.

I just cycled them 3 times on a Maha C9000 and got some average capacity numbers using a 1A charge and 1A discharge rate, which is decent for most applications. I.R.s were all within nominal ranges, but have elevated since new.

White Eneloop standard 1900mAH date coded 09/2011:

1828 mAh
1860 “
1868 “
1882 “
1828 “
1893 “
1901 “
1904 “
1791 “
1787 “
1747 “
1895 “

Eneloop 5th Anniversary Glitter AAs 09/2012, by color:

1906/1907
1883/1899
1875/1883
1901/1894
1888/1895
1878/1905
1845/1891
1881/1896

Minimum capacity for standard Eneloops is 1900mAh.

Chris
View Quote
Interesting!
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
2 gallons of paraffin, followed by 20 gallons of K-1
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#29]
@EXPY37  Your reply was awesome and informative.

When I get on Ebay, I become hesitant, because I have no idea which items are quality and which are junk.  I have no concept of the market for this stuff.

I will spend some more time researching.

Thanks again!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@EXPY37  Your reply was awesome and informative.

When I get on Ebay, I become hesitant, because I have no idea which items are quality and which are junk.  I have no concept of the market for this stuff.

I will spend some more time researching.

Thanks again!!!
View Quote
Ask your questions here.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#31]
@EXPY37

Expy,

I have about a $6000 budget.  I'm no longer worried about getting this on the roof of a trailer, although that's still an option, I can mount panels on a roof, post in yard or top of fence if I need to.

That said, my goal now is to just get the parts here so that I have them to assemble at some point in the future.  My closest friends are all Master/Journeyman Electricians who are a part of the team building this, just no Solar experience for parts selection.

Some facts about my home systems to consider:
1 - 1000 gal propane tank buried in yard
2 - Gas fired/forced hot air Heating Units (attic & basement)
3 - Gas millivolt fire places (Kitchen, Living Rm, Master Bedroom)
1 - Over-sized Wood Burning Stove in Basement
1 - 17kW Kohler Air Cooled Stand-by Gen.  (Burns about 3.3 gal / hour)
2 - 5500W Portable Gen (100 gal Gasoline)

My goal is to be able to run the following:
1 - 220V Well Pump (VFD 3-Phase on a 20A/220 Breaker, See attached Name Plate)
1 - Propane Hot Water Heater (120V power vented)
2 - HVAC systems (For complete heating or also for just using the blowers to move warm air from the Wood Burning Stove in Basement)
1 - Refrigerator
1 - Deep Freezer (Optional)

Is there a quality complete package system that makes the purchasing of this thing worthwhile?

If not, what parts, brands, sizes do you recommend for this size system?

Link Posted: 3/12/2020 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@EXPY37

Expy,

I have about a $6000 budget.  I'm no longer worried about getting this on the roof of a trailer, although that's still an option, I can mount panels on a roof, post in yard or top of fence if I need to.

That said, my goal now is to just get the parts here so that I have them to assemble at some point in the future.  My closest friends are all Master/Journeyman Electricians who are a part of the team building this, just no Solar experience for parts selection.

Some facts about my home systems to consider:
1 - 1000 gal propane tank buried in yard
2 - Gas fired/forced hot air Heating Units (attic & basement)
3 - Gas millivolt fire places (Kitchen, Living Rm, Master Bedroom)
1 - Over-sized Wood Burning Stove in Basement
1 - 17kW Kohler Air Cooled Stand-by Gen.  (Burns about 3.3 gal / hour)
2 - 5500W Portable Gen (100 gal Gasoline)

My goal is to be able to run the following:
1 - 220V Well Pump (VFD 3-Phase on a 20A/220 Breaker, See attached Name Plate)
1 - Propane Hot Water Heater (120V power vented)
2 - HVAC systems (For complete heating or also for just using the blowers to move warm air from the Wood Burning Stove in Basement)
1 - Refrigerator
1 - Deep Freezer (Optional)

Is there a quality complete package system that makes the purchasing of this thing worthwhile?

If not, what parts, brands, sizes do you recommend for this size system?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52131/Well_Pump_VFD__3_-1312510.jpg
View Quote
Let's say you have $3000 out of the $6k for panels...

At $1.50/watt that's 2000 watts of panel, considering mounting, shipping etc. Maybe you can do better. There's a site that lists current panel prices, eco-something IIRC, maybe someone can recall, it's been posted here many times.

Here it is---

https://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/surveys/free-solar-panel-price-survey/

2 Outback FM 80 charge controllers will cost ~$1000 for two.

A 1800 watt yellow Xantrex will cost about $1500 or less. I typically buy them for $400.

Batteries, say qty 2 12 volt 400 AH fork lifts, will cost about $1500 apiece.

Here's an unusual link that actually has specs AND prices.

http://gbindustrialbattery.com/Forklift_Battery_Sizes_and_Specifications_Zone15.html

Since your well pump is inverter tech, it will likely have no appreciable surge. BUT it is 3 phase. The only way I can think to run it off solar without a fancy 3 phase inverter, is to use a 120vac single phase to 240 3phase VDF and these might be available on eBay for ~$400 but I'm only guessing.

An alternative method is to use a 12 or 24 volt to 240 volt 1800 watt inverter [Xantrex for example, I have some bought used on eBay cheap] and then use the 240vac to run a $100 5HP 3 ph VFD.

You take it from here with more questions.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Sigs.... I use K-1 kero in my 1/2" and 7/8" wick  lanterns, though I know that stored red dye kero also works
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#34]
@EXPY37

The VFD already converts 220vac into 3 phase.  Its fed with the same 20amp / 220 feed from the original well pump that was a standard 220 volt pump

Does that change anything?
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@EXPY37

The VFD already converts 220vac into 3 phase.  Its fed with the same 20amp / 220 feed from the original well pump that was a standard 220 volt pump

Does that change anything?
View Quote
Yes it does! [Rushing too much]

You just need 220 vac to power it. I thought it REQUIRED 220 3ph.

So, there are/have been 220 vac Xantrex [yellow] inverters inexpensively on eBay from time to time. Sine wave.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I want to add that I've been testing running 2 cell handgun lights on a single 16340 paired with a dummy cell.

Seems to work just fine.   Best results with shorter cells; I have some Nitecores that fit in both Surefire and Olight lights, but KeepPowers won't fit in the Olight and barely fit in the SF.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Gas storage question.
I bought a HDPE 55 gallon drum and have started filling it with gas. I know I have to add stabil to it and finish filling it (got about 40gals before it got dark) it’s stored in my shed.

What about venting?  I filled it at 35 degrees F. I know it will soon be up to 70f with spring.
I don’t plan to have this crazy long term.  I was thinking 3-4 months max.
What should I do to safely store this with regards to venting and pressure relief.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 1:21:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Anyone have any idea?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Why are you storing that much gas? Given the current price war between Saudi Arabia and Russia, gas is cheap and abundant.
Time and resources are finite. I don't know your situation, but for me gas is near bottom priority right now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I stock up on batteries every Black Friday.  I get hundreds of AA and AAA batteries. Way cheaper.
View Quote

I also do this every year.
I generally buy batteries only once per year.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Gas storage question.
I bought a HDPE 55 gallon drum and have started filling it with gas. I know I have to add stabil to it and finish filling it (got about 40gals before it got dark) it’s stored in my shed.

What about venting?  I filled it at 35 degrees F. I know it will soon be up to 70f with spring.
I don’t plan to have this crazy long term.  I was thinking 3-4 months max.
What should I do to safely store this with regards to venting and pressure relief.
View Quote

If you vent the barrel, you will lose important distillation fractions of the fuel.

Stabil is primarily mineral spirits/Stoddard solvent, and will do nothing to compensate for their loss.

It is important to NOT vent the container and this presents the next issue, the vapor pressure of gasoline on a hot day, is somewhere between possibly, 10 and 15 psi.

Is the plastic container rated for this much pressure? Are there markings on it or can you call the mfgr?

Metal barrels are available from bulk fuel dealers inexpensively, and can withstand the pressure depending on the rating. There is a UN stamp on most all barrels and the meaning can be found on the web with a quick search.

Generally, what's available fairly commonly to my knowledge are thin metal barrels that can withstand the above mentioned pressure, and heavier wall barrels that definitely can, as far as I know.

The heavy wall barrels are hard for me to come by, but you may have better luck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#42]
This isn't a battery thing, but it is a light source. Handy way to set up night-time perimeter security.

Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#43]
just a suggestion on generators sets... I was gifted a 3500w Honda after the 2004 hurricane system, which had a rusted tank... I re-powered it and rather than buying a new tank (never did like the idea of a fuel tank on top of the engine, converted it to a squeeze bulb siphon system that could run via the dip tube in any larger fuel tank on a higher level via siphon, just go easy when you prime so it doesn't blow out the needle and seat... for hurricane Irma I had added a 2200W HF predator inverter that has a fuel pump... I plumbed a T in the fuel line before the pump after the shut off valve,  and the additional port attached to a fitting and plug  outside the cover... you still need to prime the line, but do not need to elevate the fuel source as the pump will draw from 6gal tank sitting on the same level
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why are you storing that much gas? Given the current price war between Saudi Arabia and Russia, gas is cheap and abundant.
Time and resources are finite. I don't know your situation, but for me gas is near bottom priority right now.
View Quote

You serious Clark?  

I’m working on gas because I believe I have most of the other things handled pretty well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Anyone have any idea?
View Quote

There is a guy on the forum who does commercial fuel and once did a long post on winter/summer fuels, stabilization etc. perhaps someone remembers who and will chime in.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Rumor had it that the IKEA rechargables are the same Japanese battery as the Eneloops.  IKEA still ships.

*Question:  I am looking at small portable solar for recharging comms or running them briefly live (cell/ham) as well as being able to use small electronics as e-readers. Edit: also AA and AAAs for weapon optics.

I know that Goalzero had a good rep from field use.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You serious Clark?  

I’m working on gas because I believe I have most of the other things handled pretty well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You serious Clark?  

Do it properly.   Don't use improvised containers when real gas storage solutions are available.  If you need to ask, then you need to ask before you start pouring gas.  You are practically begging to lose your gas and/or start a fire.

If you want to store 50 gallons of gas in your shed, the best simple way to do it is to get 10 steel NATO cans - Wavian is a good brand - and use those.  They're designed in such a way that the extra air space in the top allows for expansion of the fuel and the seals are gas-resistant and designed for this purpose.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#48]
OODA... just an anecdotal on my GoalZero 7W panel... mine is the older model that will not charge a 1A cell phone, but will charge 4x AA partially charged Eneloop cells in about 3 hours of bright sunlight... I made a plywood base that  is angled by placing a 2x4 under the base... a vertical nail was inserted perpendicular to the plywood, and the location of the 2x4 was adjusted so the shadow of the nail falls on the nail to get direct rays of sunlight.... the charger is placed under the elevated base to reduce the amount of heat...I did not try to track the Sun as the Earth rotated
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OODA... just an anecdotal on my GoalZero 7W panel...
View Quote

@lasnyder thanks for that. It looks like there are Chinese units of dubious quality with flashlights and built in batteries, and the GoalZeros seem to have a removable battery pack.

Am primarily interested in small, mobile (or able to be moved) for both residential use (have good south-facing light) and when in the move.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Recommend me lantern/light fixture powered by 18650 unregulated cells.
I have a bunch of these cells.

Thank you
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top