Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2024 9:43:06 AM EDT
JHC, jr.

When you get a shot at a rare DX it's callsign and signal report ONLY.

Get in and get out so someone else has a chance!

I actually have no dog in this particular fight as the DX station (Bangladesh) is too weak to even work. I'm listening to the pileup. Some of these guys are enough to drive a man to drink.

Nobody gives a fuck about your antenna, nobody cares about your grandchildren and nobody cares about the rest of your bullshit. Callsign and signal report only! If you want someone's name for the log go to QRZ.com

A while ago I heard a guy that knows how to run a pileup.

"Could I have your name for the log?"

''Q.R.Zed!"

Next person that brays "Could I have your naaaaame for the looog?" I'm going to tell him I don't have one anymore since I lost it in a crap game a coupla weeks ago!

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I need to drive to Pennsylvania and get you setup on FT8.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#2]
What's my name? Puddintayne. Ask me again and I'll tell you the same!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
View Quote

Any Arfham is welcome here.

Give me a head's up and I'll make up a bunch of melt off the bone ribs and I always have beer in the fridge. It's me and the cat.

Most comfortable couch in town.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
That drives me insane too.

There was an aeronautical mobile here once on .52. One of our locals was chit chatting and pissed people off as he was passing over
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:43:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#5]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
View Quote

You should pick me up along the way I will bring Pic some Jameson Irish Whiskey.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I think a lot of this "I need your name for the log", or "don't let me hold you but can you give me your working conditions?"  stuff is kind of a 'Flex". In other words to show the rest of the world that since they have such a great connection with the DX that they can monopolize their time. In other words, this contact is no big deal to me, I can contact them every day of the week, and I am showing it.

Sure it is one thing to "ragchew" with common so called DX stations like someone in England or France, Germany, Italy or even South Africa. Yes a lot of us CAN speak to stations in Europe all day every day, but when we try that with ACTUAL DX stations on the upper end of the wanted DX lists then we are just "flexing" and showing off, and really pissing off a bunch of the rest of us.

Of course these problems don't exist in working DX on FT8.  FT8 leaves a lot of bad behavior behind.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

Give me a head's up and I'll make up a bunch of melt off the bone ribs and I always have beer in the fridge. It's me and the cat.

View Quote

Damn, makes me wish I lived close to PA…
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Be careful what you ask for, I'm only about 6 hours away.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:52:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tyrex13] [#9]
Just move someplace cool and rare DX will ask for your name for their log...

Happened to me today. New Caledonia..
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:
Just move someplace cool and rare DX will ask for your name for their log...

View Quote

Before I recently moved to NC from Hawaii some of the Japanese stations were really obnoxious trying to get Hawaii in their logbooks when I reeeeeealy wanted QSOs from anywhere but Japan.

I finally quit answering JA stations when one guy I talked to kept asking "What Island?" and I would answer "Hawaii'' (I lived on the big island of Hawaii) and he would say "I know, I know Hawaii but what island?"  After three rounds of this I finally said "Oahu" and he said "Sank you".
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:31:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By K0UA:

I think a lot of this "I need your name for the log", or "don't let me hold you but can you give me your working conditions?"  stuff is kind of a 'Flex". In other words to show the rest of the world that since they have such a great connection with the DX that they can monopolize their time. In other words, this contact is no big deal to me, I can contact them every day of the week, and I am showing it.

Sure it is one thing to "ragchew" with common so called DX stations like someone in England or France, Germany, Italy or even South Africa. Yes a lot of us CAN speak to stations in Europe all day every day, but when we try that with ACTUAL DX stations on the upper end of the wanted DX lists then we are just "flexing" and showing off, and really pissing off a bunch of the rest of us.

Of course these problems don't exist in working DX on FT8.  FT8 leaves a lot of bad behavior behind.
View Quote

FT8 is the superior DX mode and some would argue it is the superior ham radio mode because it leaves out the ham
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:49:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Mach:

FT8 is the superior DX mode and some would argue it is the superior ham radio mode because it leaves out the ham
View Quote
It's only good for filling log files.  It's use in communication is near zero.   JS8Call is the functional version but it's almost too slow to be enjoyable.  Anything more than qth and abbreviated setup and youre looking at minutes for one side to get done sending.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By K0UA:

View Quote

I've heard that before and there's more than a kernel of truth to it.

I love it when someone tries that on a high powered DXpedition and gets Q Q Zed as a reply and gets drowned out by the pileup.

The one that really annoys me is the old man braying piously "Could I have your naaame for the looog?"

WTF kind of stupidity is that?

More than once the reply has been "I don't have one anymore. I lost it in a crap game last Tuesday night."
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Many older DXers don’t use a computer or electronic logbook and always seem ask for something for their log. Sort of like the 93 year old ham that wandered in on the Arfcom SSB net list night.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
Many older DXers don’t use a computer or electronic logbook and always seem ask for something for their log. Sort of like the 93 year old ham that wandered in on the Arfcom SSB net list night.
View Quote

I cannot imagine  not using a computer in the game of DXing. There are just so many things a computer can do for you to make your DX game more effective. Not the least is looking up your name for the logbook.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
View Quote

Old guys like him ALWAYS get a pass but when I QRZ-ed a few of these guys they all seemed to have access to the internet. One didn't appear to.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:

View Quote

@tyrex13

When I worked him I asked him what happened to Old Caledonia.

He seemed confused
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#18]

@tyrex13

When I worked him I asked him what happened to Old Caledonia.

He seemed confused
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top