Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 1/26/2020 3:40:32 PM EDT
In this thread we document by date personal first hand observation if public reaction. Not news media, but what we actually see and hear our selves in our daily lives.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Yesterday Boston airport
1 person with a surgical mask, which is completely ineffective not asian

Edit: may not be related
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#2]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yesterday Boston airport
View Quote
How do you know it had anything to do with Kung Flu?

I’ve worn a surgical mask as a courtesy when traveling before just to try and not get everyone else sick.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Today 2 people n OKC airport with surgical masks, not asian

edit: may not be related

note. Surgical masks are made to keep doctors and nurses from introducing germs from the mouth and nose in open wounds. They do not stop cough droplets effectively from being inhaled.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I’ve worn a surgical mask as a courtesy when traveling before just to try and not get everyone else sick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yesterday Boston airport

I dont. I slso note it is ineffective I should have said may not be related
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#6]
My own personal reaction is that I don’t give a shit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Today I observed 87 different threads about the same damn topic.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax (original version)
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Today I observed 87 different threads about the same damn topic.
View Quote

I noticed the same thing

Edit- shit I wasted post 1776 on this damn thread
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I knew better than to put this in GD

you people are worthless
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Stopped in at my local Meijer. Cruised through the pharmacy section and noticed that Imodium was still available but hit hard. As I turned I noticed an elderly couple with masks on. Odd for my area but not too far out of place. Food was still plentiful. Grabbed some Diet Coke and noticed another guy probably mid 30's with a 4ish year old son. Both with masks.

I'm not sure if this is the calm before the storm, or just happened to see a couple random groups wearing masks..
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Stopped in at my local Meijer. Cruised through the pharmacy section and noticed that Imodium was still available but hit hard. As I turned I noticed an elderly couple with masks on. Odd for my area but not too far out of place. Food was still plentiful. Grabbed some Diet Coke and noticed another guy probably mid 30's with a 4ish year old son. Both with masks.

I'm not sure if this is the calm before the storm, or just happened to see a couple random groups wearing masks..
View Quote
that is what this thread is for do we can see trends over time

I asked for it to be moved to the survival section to avoid the asshattery
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

you people are worthless
View Quote
lol...so true.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Done.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is what this thread is for do we can see trends over time

I asked for it to be moved to the survival section to avoid the asshattery
Done.
thanks bro
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I want to see the public reaction to a traveler checking through security in
one of those air pack equipped bio containment suits
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Op here is a nice tracking tool. https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Went grocery shopping today. Pharmacy section was almost sold out of rubbing alcohol.  The cold/flu section had some empty spots, but still plenty of most things.  No masks on the shelves, but not sure if they sell them normally or not.  I can't wear N95 masks (multiple fit tests at work, they will not seal effectively) so they are not something I pay attention to.

No one was wearing masks.

Struck up a conversation with the checkout girl about the kung flu, she was young, early twenties.  She was aware of the outbreak, but not very informed.  She was slightly worried, but working as a cashier she does not have money to prep and cannot skip work if things get bad.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Local Walmart is short on antibacterial wipes but otherwise a normal Sunday.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#21]
There are supposedly no packs of N95 masks greater than 3 masks within 200 miles of my location at home depot or Lowes - assuming you trust their inventory systems. And Amazon is out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Saw some N95 masks on amazon (out of stock) they were trying to sell them for $197 for a 10 pack!
Somebodies making bank on the downfall of others.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Why are the mods not keeping the GD bs that’s overwhelming this forum out?

Haven’t seen any reaction here in southeast  MN yet.  Masks are not sold out and I haven’t heard of anyone wearing them around here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Today, about 1300-1500 EST, in northern NH:

- Went to Lowes, bought the last big pack of N95 masks. Lots of respirators, P100 filters, 2/4/6 packs of basic N95s, and the more expensive 3M "cool flow" N95s still available.

-Went to Home Depot next door to see what they had on the shelf.  An Asian woman with a Caucasian husband was buying several 40-pack N95s. They went down the aisle and while we were looking at what was left she came back and bought another from right in front of us. It seemed like he was saying that they had enough, and she was ignoring him.

- Went to a local hardware store to see what they had and found no big packs of N95 but plenty of 2/4/6 packs.

- Went to WalMart to buy groceries. No sign of anyone stocking up, staple goods on the shelves. Typical Sunday madhouse of shoppers getting ready for the week. Did see more than a few people checking out the big bags of rice and dried beans. eta: Isopropyl alcohol was running low, Imodium was well stocked as was the Equate generic.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#25]
not GD nvm
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why are the mods not keeping the GD bs that’s overwhelming this forum out?

Haven’t seen any reaction here in southeast  MN yet.  Masks are not sold out and I haven’t heard of anyone wearing them around here.
View Quote
This thread was originally in GD until I requested it moved
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought the last of the 40 and 20 pack 3M N95 masks at my local HoneDepot 3 days ago. But they still had plenty of the HD made in china N95 masks in 25 packs and they still had 3 packs of 3M

So some people are buying stuff but not many
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Bought a 20 pack of masks at Home Depot yesterday. Not a lot of stock but normal for that store.

We are in the middle of cold and flu season here so that may affect what you are seeing in the pharmacies.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife just flew in from Seattle last night and she said there were about 50 Asians with masks on that she saw while waiting at her gate.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There are supposedly no packs of N95 masks greater than 3 masks within 200 miles of my location at home depot or Lowes - assuming you trust their inventory systems. And Amazon is out.
View Quote
I keep a good supply of these things
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
According to sources in China, you will get this virus through any mucus membrane, such as your eyes. Also, viruses in this family with like that.

Dust and surgical masks are to prevent you from SPREADING disease, not from contacting them.

You can buy all the dust masks you want if it makes you feel better, but they provide minimal protection for you at best.

Prepare to bug in. Stockpile energy and food and water.

UV light kills SARS virus, which is closely related to this one, as does 60c for 15 minutes.
View Quote
N95 and P100 masks will trap mucous droplets with virus expelled by coughing and sneezing. You also need complete cover for your eyes and a Tyvek suit, nitrile gloves and booties that you can hose down with a bkeach solution to decon.

I dont have these so I can go out into the masses of infected people, I have these so I can take care of my wife and kids if one or more get infected while standing a good chance of not getting sick if I am careful so I can continue to take care of my family if someone is sick and continue with an armed response if needed.

But this is a thread to track trends and changes in how people react and respond.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Atlanta airport: saw 2 surgical masks
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Local Albertsons - No one seemed particularly concerned. I'm going to grab more things that I forgot to get today tomorrow. I'm out of coffee My goal is simply to stock up so I don't have to fight crowds in a panic. I am purchasing things that I would eventually purchase anyways. I think the timeline before stores get picked clean of pretty much everything is going to be this coming weekend. If things go the way I think they will, I'm going to try to work from home here pretty soon.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Wife was at Vons & Sprouts today. She didnt see anyone wearing a mask and said everyone seemed chill.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Was at local Kroger and Home Depot (North Houston) nothing Out of Stock or unusual.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#38]
My dad walked to the mailbox like this when SARS came out.

And he even made a meme about it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:56:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Tagged for info, curiosity.  My daughter is flying to Colorado on Wednesday I’ll see if I can get a report from her.  I live out in the boonies and don’t see people for days at a time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:06:36 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm probably going to have to fly to Salt Lake City next week. From here, I usually have to go thru DFW. Wearing PPE might look a little ridiculous but I'd rather look ridiculous than catch something at a place where there are a great number of asians passing thru (like DFW). I think I'd postpone going out to Silicon Valley for the next 3 weeks or so. San Fran and San Jose airports usually have large contingents of asians present as well owing to the prevalence of particularly Chinese in SV.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:24:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Tagged for info, curiosity.  My daughter is flying to Colorado on Wednesday I’ll see if I can get a report from her.  I live out in the boonies and don’t see people for days at a time.
View Quote
I wish I was your closest neighbor at only 10 miles away
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:26:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

you people are worthless
View Quote
At least you know your mistake.

I've seen the CVS by my house have a whole shelf where the surgical masks used to be wiped clean, and a few loose masks laying on the floor.

I went to lowes, bought some n95 masks (last boxes that were out) and had a guy in the lowes offer me 10 bucks over sticker to take them.  I declined, thought that was kind of odd.

Also, saw people at sam's club loading up with dry goods (although hard to determine whether just people shopping or prepping).

Postmates driver had a mask on.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:28:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

you people are worthless
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:30:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Saw similar today.

Odd.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:33:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
According to sources in China, you will get this virus through any mucus membrane, such as your eyes. Also, viruses in this family with like that.

Dust and surgical masks are to prevent you from SPREADING disease, not from contacting them.

You can buy all the dust masks you want if it makes you feel better, but they provide minimal protection for you at best.

Prepare to bug in. Stockpile energy and food and water.

UV light kills SARS virus, which is closely related to this one, as does 60c for 15 minutes.
View Quote
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am getting ready to explain this in the GD threads when I get time.

Busy today doing you know what.

Hooked up some G25T8 germicidal UVC lamps to a certain kind of ballast.

Getting remote 'sensors' ready for the mtns.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Amazon is out of N95 masks, so is my local HD - Local Ace has some, but I'm in a smaller town than where the HD is, but not far.

Quoted:
View Quote
Depends where in CO she is headed.  Western Slope, you won't see a lot happening.  Front Range (East side) can be a shit show when nothing is happening, so who knows what she'll see.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#48]
I remember people FREAKING OUT a few years ago over swine flu and bird flu. Guess what? Nothing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@EXPY37

I run the regular screw in UVC lamps myself, don't have to deal with any special ballast or bases. I usually set them in a room on a lamp w/o shade and let them run overnight.

I am setting up a "want" to decon small items. Any favorite glasses?
View Quote
What UVC lamp runs without a ballast or other system?

Specific part number please.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@EXPY37

I run the regular screw in UVC lamps myself, don't have to deal with any special ballast or bases. I usually set them in a room on a lamp w/o shade and let them run overnight.

I am setting up a "want" to decon small items. Any favorite glasses?
View Quote
I'd put an ozone generator in a box and put anything needing contamination in there.

UVC lights aren't going to be particularly useful in this application.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top