Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2021 2:11:30 PM EDT
3 rows wide about 30 ft long patch. Most plants are nowhere near vertical. Any hope? Anything I can do?
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Stake it up just a little keep it off the ground?
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#2]
it will stand back up on its own...
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 12:23:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

It will "correct" its growth upright. It won't be pretty (the stalks will be curved and harder to walk around)  but it's not a big deal. It happens to corn in the fields too, it doesn't affect it; it's really only a problem for mechanized harvesting equipment.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve always stood mine back up and hoed up hills to help them stay up. As best I could.  
And i only have a small-ish  patch as well
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Checked on it today and it is starting to right itself.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Back when dad was living and planting 10 or 12 rows across the garden every summer the storms would blow it down 2, maybe three times.  Something squirrely about the way the wind blows up where the garden is above the house as there was never any roof/tree damage down there.

He'd just stand it up, pack some dirt up around the bottom to help hold it up and grab some of the big bags of last years grass/leaves picked up by the mower and dump that stuff and dirt between the rows to fill in where he got the dirt he packed up around the plants.

I used to ask about running ropes or fences on both sides of the corn and he'd just look at me funny and keep doing it the way he'd been doing it since he was a kid and his grandpa showed him how to do it.

No doubt in my mind the corn my brother has planted will get blown down once or twice this summer.  It always does.  And he fixes it just like dad showed him how to do it.  I think I got the "lazy bone" of the family.  I hate doing stuff I don't have to do.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

No it will not if it is laying flat. It needs to be staked at the ends of the rows and bailing twine or other suitable cordage run between those stakes on both sides of the stalks aboutt three feet from the base to support the stalks.
I've dealt with this issue for several seasons and it is the only way they will recover from being flattened by winds.

Now, I just buy corn by the bushel from a local and don't plant corn anymore. It takes too much from the soil for the yield it produces and the work involved in maintaining it is NOT worth the effort for a small patch.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No it will not if it is laying flat. It needs to be staked at the ends of the rows and bailing twine or other suitable cordage run between those stakes on both sides of the stalks aboutt three feet from the base to support the stalks.
I've dealt with this issue for several seasons and it is the only way they will recover from being flattened by winds.

Now, I just buy corn by the bushel from a local and don't plant corn anymore. It takes too much from the soil for the yield it produces and the work involved in maintaining it is NOT worth the effort for a small patch.
View Quote

Is that what all the farmers do when it blows over? You ever see a farmer out running twine on both sides of every one of his 100,000 rows of corn?

ETA, just to add to that, my corn was also flattened in a storm. I have 1/2 acre of corn. I know it's 100% a waste of time to try to help it out bc it will correct its growth without interference. After only 2 days it's already starting to straighten back up.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't think I've ever had corn not stand back up after a storm.  Give it a few days OP, I bet the issue fixes itself.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#10]
When the ground was still wet, I always stood it back up and stomped my foot at the base to pack the soil.  As was done during the Depression.

Interested if OP will update the thread with what he did and whether it worked.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#11]
It has recovered nicely. Many stems are curved, but show no I'll effectsAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It has recovered nicely. Many stems are curved, but show no I'll effects
View Quote

I'm going to refrain from what I want to say... it's good to hear the corn is back up!

Mine has also stood back up. Mine was only leaning about 30-45 degrees and it doesn't even have a curve in the stem. If yours was laying flatter or was further along it will have more curve in the stem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top