Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2020 4:19:25 PM EDT
I'm starting to get into coyote hunting, and want to turn my carbine length AR (basic bushmaster) into an accurate yote gun.

was thinking adding a longer barrel (20"?) and then a rifle length gas system. While i'm doing this, should i also add a free float rail system as well??
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not?
If you're not going to need a front post, you can add a low profile gas block, too.

You're building a new upper, right? Not changing the parts on your current one?
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
BCM MCMR 13” rail
Aero Precision Low Pro gas block
Aero Precision light weight scope mount
Vortex Viper PST G2 2-10x (or 1-6x)
Geissele ssa trigger

Keep everything else and go kill coyotes

Edit: what kind of MOA are you getting out of your Bushy right now?
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#3]
sticking with the same upper at the moment, but have tossed around the idea of building a complete new upper.

I haven't done much with my AR's other than putting new rails, grips, or sites on, and shooting them.

Want to learn a little more about them and eventually build one from scratch.

Would i be better of using the same lower, and just building a dedicated upper, and just swap them out when i want fun range time, or going out hunting?

I'm not in a huge rush at the moment since i currently have a .243 bolt action that i'm planning on getting a pred light attachment for, but long term would prefer using the AR for easier follow up shots, or possibly a can down the road
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BCM MCMR 13” rail
Geissele ssa trigger

View Quote
I've only put around 200 rounds down the pipe, all irons. Basic site in shots out to around 50 yards. wanted to go longer but i was at a public outdoor range, and wasn't trusting the people shooting beside me. haven't had a chance to get it out since.

once changed i would like to have a 200 yard zero. That's how i shoot my deer rifles (.300 mag, 30-06, and .243)
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've only put around 200 rounds down the pipe, all irons. Basic site in shots out to around 50 yards. wanted to go longer but i was at a public outdoor range, and wasn't trusting the people shooting beside me. haven't had a chance to get it out since.

once changed i would like to have a 200 yard zero. That's how i shoot my deer rifles (.300 mag, 30-06, and .243)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BCM MCMR 13” rail
Geissele ssa trigger

Gotcha what distances are you planning on coyote hunting at?
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Dupe
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Salad days. Just get another rifle. Or least another complete upper.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-rifle-length-223-wylde-1-7-stainless-steel-15-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-mbus-sight-set-bcg-ch-5165448415.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-rifle-length-223-wylde-1-7-stainless-steel-15-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-vortex-strike-eagle-1-8x24mm-scope.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-rifle-length-223-wylde-1-7-stainless-steel-15-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-mbus-sight-set-516446673.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-chf-rifle-length-5-56-nato-1-7-18-lightweight-m-lok-upper-no-bcg-or-ch.html

Pick one and add a 2 stage trigger
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:37:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
hoping to keep the shots sub 300 yards. I live in Michigan so not many super long distance shots (300+) will be available
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:10:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
hoping to keep the shots sub 300 yards. I live in Michigan so not many super long distance shots (300+) will be available
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you just want a 20” setup your 16” barrel will do just fine at those distances. It should be plenty accurate and enough velocity to kill a coyote.

I prefer a free floated rail, scope and trigger that will make it easier to be accurate.

If not. Like other have said PSA  and Aero makes a good 20” upper for a descent price.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Unless you just want a 20” setup your 16” barrel will do just fine at those distances. It should be plenty accurate and enough velocity to kill a coyote.

I prefer a free floated rail, scope and trigger that will make it easier to be accurate.

If not. Like other have said PSA  and Aero makes a good 20” upper for a descent price.

Hope that helps.
View Quote
honestly all of the info you guys have given me has helped and has opened up my eyes a little more. I'm slowly learning more and more about this platform. I have never ordered a complete upper off the net before. Will i need to have an assembled upper shipped to my FFL guy, or something i could have shipped directly to my house?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
honestly all of the info you guys have given me has helped and has opened up my eyes a little more. I'm slowly learning more and more about this platform. I have never ordered a complete upper off the net before. Will i need to have an assembled upper shipped to my FFL guy, or something i could have shipped directly to my house?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope that helps.
It will be shipped complete to your front door. No need for a FFL. The only part on an AR that would need to go to a FFL is the lower receiver. (Just the receiver it’s self not all the other parts. It’s the only serialize part).
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:37:20 AM EDT
[#12]
A complete upper or a complete parts kit can go to your door. You can buy a lower inking bit it has to be sent to your LGS or FFL that accepts transfers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It will be shipped complete to your front door. No need for a FFL. The only part on an AR that would need to go to a FFL is the lower receiver. (Just the receiver it’s self not all the other parts. It’s the only serialize part).
View Quote
man i love this country lol..

one last question.. what 5 round mag do you guys use?
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can’t help you with any first hand experience on that one. Where I hunt I don’t have a mag capacity restriction.

Brownells has a 5 rounder and they are a reparable company.

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-5-10rd-magazine-223-5-56-prod68723.aspx
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#15]
once again thank you all for your help! My gun fund took a hit this past month when our dryer decided to kick the bucket.. Hopefully will be ordering my upper by the end of this month :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top