Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2022 8:50:38 PM EDT
Currently have a Grand Design TT and have been very happy with it.  However, we've gotten into offroading and traveling more than we imagined since we purchased.  Have to double tow with me and the wife pulling the rigs while I pull the camper and it's not ideal.

Considering looking at upgrading to a Super C to get ride of the double tow and give us easier setup and more comfort with the built in amenities.  Two models are on my short list and are twins of each.  Jayco Seneca 37M and the Entegra Accolade 37M.  Both are on the Freightliner S2RV chassis and have the towing capacity for the 7k lb trailer that we are towing.  

Any pros/cons or feedback on someone that has made a similar switch.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Are your off-road toys street legal?

I never understood Cs because unless you have another vehicle, you have to break down and stow everything each morning, then set up camp again every night.

Link Posted: 10/18/2022 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Are your off-road toys street legal?

I never understood Cs because unless you have another vehicle, you have to break down and stow everything each morning, then set up camp again every night.

View Quote

No, the SXS aren't street legal at least where we ride now but we can typically ride to a store or restaurant at some locations we go to.

Our typical camping is either at the lake or when out riding.  Neither of which we normally leave when we get setup.  Plan for food and bring everything we need to not have to move.

A Class A or Super C seems to be the only option for us to be able to haul both rigs without having to drive separately in two trucks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DrkSide06:
Currently have a Grand Design TT and have been very happy with it.  However, we've gotten into offroading and traveling more than we imagined since we purchased.  Have to double tow with me and the wife pulling the rigs while I pull the camper and it's not ideal.

Considering looking at upgrading to a Super C to get ride of the double tow and give us easier setup and more comfort with the built in amenities.  Two models are on my short list and are twins of each.  Jayco Seneca 37M and the Entegra Accolade 37M.  Both are on the Freightliner S2RV chassis and have the towing capacity for the 7k lb trailer that we are towing.  

Any pros/cons or feedback on someone that has made a similar switch.
View Quote

Looked hard at the Seneca and was not impressed with fit and finish.  And I really wanted to like it.  Not familiar with the Entegra.

Starting to look again as our pusher is getting long in the tooth.  I'm also hoping that getting people to work on a Super C will be easier than a pusher.  So far, everythingI like is way more than what I want to spend.  And the Super C market is smallish which makes for fewer used options.

If you see something cool, do post up.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By The_Dog:

Looked hard at the Seneca and was not impressed with fit and finish.  And I really wanted to like it.  Not familiar with the Entegra.

Starting to look again as our pusher is getting long in the tooth.  I'm also hoping that getting people to work on a Super C will be easier than a pusher.  So far, everythingI like is way more than what I want to spend.  And the Super C market is smallish which makes for fewer used options.

If you see something cool, do post up.
View Quote

The difficulty is finding something that has a floorplan that we like.  Biggest things are opposing slides at least in the living area, theater seating, and towing of 10k or more (current trailer is 7k but want to leave room for possible future upgrades). $250 is at the top of our budget but doable.

From reading it's a lot easier to get chassis/engine issues taken care of at a freightliner shop than a DP is which is a huge plus.

The Seneca and Entegra come of the same line and are the same floorplans.  Entegra has a 5 year structural warranty and the Seneca is only 3.  

I've never even stepped foot in a super c and only been in one DP.  I think the wife and I are going to take a weekend trip to Dallas to actually get a up close look at some since no one around here sells them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]

The difficulty is finding something that has a floorplan that we like.  Biggest things are opposing slides at least in the living area, theater seating, and towing of 10k or more (current trailer is 7k but want to leave room for possible future upgrades). $250 is at the top of our budget but doable.

From reading it's a lot easier to get chassis/engine issues taken care of at a freightliner shop than a DP is which is a huge plus.

The Seneca and Entegra come of the same line and are the same floorplans.  Entegra has a 5 year structural warranty and the Seneca is only 3.  

I've never even stepped foot in a super c and only been in one DP.  I think the wife and I are going to take a weekend trip to Dallas to actually get a up close look at some since no one around here sells them.
View Quote

Yeah, some of the floorplans are garbage.  And while getting a 40+ footer would make for all kinds of room, we'd actually like to get something smaller than our current rig (Dog Mahal is "36" feet).   But those short floor plans are not great, especially in a Super C.

Our chassis is a Freightliner and it was great when it was 10 years old.  But a lot of the Freightliner shops that do RV won't work on rigs over 10 years old.  So I'm feeling a bit burned by the dealer network.  Combine that with the fact that we have a CAT motor and it's all kinds of problems.  

A new rig would have a hood and a Cummins.  You can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone who works on those.

Out budget is about the same, but we'll probably buy used.  We've gotten a good 5 years and 1 aggravating year out of the current rig.  Some of that is self-inflicted.  I just keep having to tell myself that we got it at a VERY good price.

Good luck with the DFW shopping.  We got ours down in Cleburne at PPL.  The Alvarado house seemed promising, but let us down.  Most of the small shops were a waste of time.  I've started book marking dealers around the country.  We'll probably start serious shopping in 6 months or so, but we're not in a rush.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By The_Dog:

Yeah, some of the floorplans are garbage.  And while getting a 40+ footer would make for all kinds of room, we'd actually like to get something smaller than our current rig (Dog Mahal is "36" feet).   But those short floor plans are not great, especially in a Super C.

Our chassis is a Freightliner and it was great when it was 10 years old.  But a lot of the Freightliner shops that do RV won't work on rigs over 10 years old.  So I'm feeling a bit burned by the dealer network.  Combine that with the fact that we have a CAT motor and it's all kinds of problems.  

A new rig would have a hood and a Cummins.  You can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone who works on those.

Out budget is about the same, but we'll probably buy used.  We've gotten a good 5 years and 1 aggravating year out of the current rig.  Some of that is self-inflicted.  I just keep having to tell myself that we got it at a VERY good price.

Good luck with the DFW shopping.  We got ours down in Cleburne at PPL.  The Alvarado house seemed promising, but let us down.  Most of the small shops were a waste of time.  I've started book marking dealers around the country.  We'll probably start serious shopping in 6 months or so, but we're not in a rush.
View Quote

Wasn't aware of the issue with older rigs and the shops but I agree the cummins does make it easier than the CAT.

Our current camper is 30' and we absolutely love it but it just doesn't fit with our lifestyle anymore.  Some of the spots that we camp regularly are in core parks so staying at 40 and under helps with being able to get spots.

The shopping trip will really just be to get hands on with some different models.  We have an idea of the floorplan that we want but you never really know till you see it in person.  Once we nail down the floorplan then I can shop the different dealers.  If I can find a used one once we have a model nailed down I will consider that option.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Wasn't aware of the issue with older rigs and the shops but I agree the cummins does make it easier than the CAT.

Our current camper is 30' and we absolutely love it but it just doesn't fit with our lifestyle anymore.  Some of the spots that we camp regularly are in core parks so staying at 40 and under helps with being able to get spots.

The shopping trip will really just be to get hands on with some different models.  We have an idea of the floorplan that we want but you never really know till you see it in person.  Once we nail down the floorplan then I can shop the different dealers.  If I can find a used one once we have a model nailed down I will consider that option.
View Quote

Don't think it's an older vs newer rig that the shop won't work on...pretty sure it's the CAT as they been out of the on road engines for nearly 14yrs.

And don't forget about Renegade models on that chassis as well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 9:04:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Dog] [#8]
Originally Posted By OBE1CanOB:
Don't think it's an older vs newer rig that the shop won't work on...pretty sure it's the CAT as they been out of the on road engines for nearly 14yrs.

View Quote

While it's true about CATs being out of OTR motors since 2007 or so (which is why I posted that getting CAT work is hard), it had more to do with mechanics not wanting to work on pusher motorhomes no matter what motor is under the bed.

But...  

Link Posted: 10/24/2022 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By OBE1CanOB:

View Quote

That makes sense especially since it was a pusher.

I checked out the Renegade but the only floorplan that I like is on the M2 chassis and 100k more than the other one that we are looking at.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 12:07:33 AM EDT
[#10]
My experience is only limited on the Renegade Verona.  We have few corporate owned ones from 36' to 40'.  Freightliner M2 with 8.9L Cummins and Allison 3200 6spd trans, 8mpg.

Ours are loaded to 32-3300lbs, it's struggling with power and braking on the highways in some western states, AZ, NM, etc.

I would imagine it would be under powered with the 6.7L.

8kw Onan QD gen set is a must.  Stay away from marble floors, stick with LVP, it would be lighter and cheaper to maintain.  Plus marble floor soaks up all the heat, hard to keep warm with hydronic  diesel heater and heat pump.

I really don't care about the 150gal freshwater tank, too much of weight penalty on the road.  

I've had more troubles with Lepert/Schwintech slides than the Liftco slides.

I've been to the factory, they all built like shit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 6:27:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: killthewabbit69] [#11]
There's a dealer in Idaho that offers either a 38' or a 45' Super C on a Peterbilt chassis.

Idaho Wrecker Sales in Mountain Home. Check out their YouTube video on the Peterbilt Super C.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top