User Panel

Comms for SHTF? (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:55:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scalped:
I know Baofeng also makes two-way UHF walkies that are sold in pairs for cheap.
View Quote

Almost anything Baofeng, or most kinds of radios that you would buy will require programming. Unless you buy something that's specifically indicated as a GMRS, FRS or MURS pre-programmed radio.

Any Icom dual-band radio is a Part 97 radio made specifically for the Amateur service.

First define if the desired communications is for your militia group, TEOTWAWKI, or family/friends after a natural disaster. As usual these discussions delve off into extremes with talk about countermeasures against state-level actors or military forces.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 6:18:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigDover] [#2]
Heres 2 8watt HT with clone antennas, programing cable, and 3800mah batteries for 50bucks.

BaoFeng UV-5R Radio High Power 8 Watt Ham Radio Handheld 144-148Mhz/420-450Mhz Upgraded BaoFeng UV-5R with Rechargeable 3800mAh Battery Walkie Talkie with TIDRADIO Programming Cable (2 Pack) https://a.co/d/jhgFSZd

Enjoy. Programing with chirp if fairly easy once you understand the basics.

Eta: boiler plate warning, don't transmit on frs with these, although no one know. Don't run these on grms with out a license, or permission from someone that has a license. And don't piss off the ham karens
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:54:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: radioshooter] [#3]
I got one of the UV-21R PRO to check out. Seems okay for 40 bucks. The regular UV-21 radios are the same except no 220 ham band.

UV-21 vs UV5R

Pros

More water resistant
Larger display
Comes RF open
USB-C charging
Uses legacy accessories
999 channels (memory locations)

Cons:

Takes a screwdriver to change the battery
No AA battery cases
No large capacity battery
Not chirp programmable yet
Needs knowledgeable person to setup

If I didn't already have 3 UV9-Rs plus speaker mics and extra batteries, this would be in my SHTF radio cache
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:52:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

Interesting.  I'm going to have to look into that one.  I have a small Cobra CB radio in the Jeep and since I don't use it much (most of the people we off road with use GMRS) I'm not sure if there would be a good reason to upgrade or not.  The extra power of the Anytone radio might add a fair amount of range to CB use.  

I use a TYT TH8600 for FRS/GMRS/MURS.  I really like it because it's weather and dust proof.  I have one on my ATV and my side by side as well and have gotten them wet and dusty numerous times without issue.  The Jeep only really sees dust inside.  

FRS/GMRS/MURS is great but if you've ever off roaded in a popular place, those frequencies are used very heavily in places like that.  I have not used CB in a popular area yet but with as many frequencies as CB offers, I suspect CB might be less used in a popular riding area.
View Quote

There's your answer. Comms is about talking to people. Organization is key.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Radio_Man:
I am in the mood to burst bubbles today and say it square as I see it ...... so here we go.

Reality

In a real SHTF scenario you had best be doing a hell of a lot more listening than transmitting if you ever transmit at all.

In the modern age if the stuff hits the oscillating air movement device you had best be like the quiet church mouse in your electronic signature if you want to think about surviving long.  Modern direction finding equipment can pinpoint you to 200 yard radius within two or three one second transmissions from a lot further away than you think possible.  For example, I make a phone call for my work to another shop and they pinpoint stuff for me to within half that circular error from a distance of more than 40 air miles.  And this isn't even the .fed world.  Imagine what the feds have available from DARPA or some other alphabet soup agency that loves their techie toys.  Thats commercial off the shelf tech available to anyone with the checkbook to write the check.

With that reality in mind, comms in a SHTF world is much more about gathering intelligence and figuring out who is around you and where they are than it is about telling folks around you what you see or don't see.  Or listening to broader range communications to see whats happening around the wider area or country to see if things are getting worse or better in the broader scheme of things.

Very little of it should be trying to talk to anyone else.  Thats just inviting bad juju to your world.

My opnion and my opinion alone ... but I bet in a SHTF world with society as we know it gone to hell using my comms advice will get you a hell of a lot further than chit chatting what you see to your friends on little or even big radios of any frequency, power, cost, or lack there of.

A couple good sensitive low noise receivers with large omnidirectional antennas and small portable directional antennas to cover VHF, UHF, 7/800MHz and public broadcast frequencies from HF to VHF for both FM AM and SSB modulation types would be your best bet.  7/800 is more for just detecting signals than trying to decode digital modes that might be encrypted.  Hear a modem noise on 7/800 with a strong signal, get to figuring out where its coming from cause you are probably being hunted by someone a lot better off than you are so shut up and get to the important stuff rather than giving away where you are by yapping about it on your baofeng.

YMMV

Radio Man

**edited to make it english rather than typonese**
View Quote

Tell me about Baofengs, and birdie signals.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:00:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By seek2:

A-men to that. Where I'm at I'd love to just program channels for just a couple CB freqs and different DCS tones and names
assigned to various neighbors, everyone here would be on board with that and it'd take the user interface issues people
have to zero.

There doesn't seem to be many choices at all if you want something that does CB or VHF low band these days, let alone
programmable.

The further craziness of AT-500M is it's a 10M ham rig on paper, but it's channelized -- it'd make far more sense to
have the memories programmable instead and have it frequency-tunable. I think what's going on is that the AT-500M
looks an awful lot like the President Thomas/Harrison CB series, and I suspect President had them do the design and
then AT just made a near clone and didn't do much else.
View Quote

Government regulations for type acceptance. A radio programmable like that wouldn't be allowed to be imported for CB use.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:58:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Stretchman:

Government regulations for type acceptance. A radio programmable like that wouldn't be allowed to be imported for CB use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stretchman:
Originally Posted By seek2:

A-men to that. Where I'm at I'd love to just program channels for just a couple CB freqs and different DCS tones and names
assigned to various neighbors, everyone here would be on board with that and it'd take the user interface issues people
have to zero.

There doesn't seem to be many choices at all if you want something that does CB or VHF low band these days, let alone
programmable.

The further craziness of AT-500M is it's a 10M ham rig on paper, but it's channelized -- it'd make far more sense to
have the memories programmable instead and have it frequency-tunable. I think what's going on is that the AT-500M
looks an awful lot like the President Thomas/Harrison CB series, and I suspect President had them do the design and
then AT just made a near clone and didn't do much else.

It's not type accepted for CB as it is, it's sold as a "10 meter amateur" product.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Comms for SHTF? (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top