Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Given the cost v. benefit that's utterly insane.

Especially considering WWVB is on the list. The number of users on the HF bands is probably an unknown,
but WWVB drives a huge number of time bases, including a lot that aren't candidates for GPS due to their
locations.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#2]
What uses WWVB these days except for cheap Chinese "atomic" clocks/wristwatches?

GPS is the de facto standard for time and frequency transfer.

WWV is cheap and convenient for ham radio and SWL users, but nobody else that I know uses it. Hell, I've got a GPSDO running my station.

While there must be some number of legacy scientific and industrial users of WWV and WWVB, that number has got to be really small.

What am I missing?

If they do kill WWV there will be a million sub-$50 designs for GPS derived 10MHz references on the market very quickly, and they'll only be bought by hams. Not as cheap and convenient as WWV, but still not a show-stopper.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Clock references that can't use GPS because of location. I believe some traffic control systems use it. Probably alot of stuff we don't realize.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#4]
WWV is my go to propagation beacon.

Link Posted: 8/15/2018 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd hate to see WWV go away, the GPS is nice but more subject to interference/ government shut down for security purposes than the stuff in Boulder.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
GPS doesn't work indoors. WWVB is used to set clocks inside buildings all over the place.
(A fair number of embedded devices as well.) There's quite a few industrial frequency
standards that use WWV, too.

My bet is that no one really knows how pervasive it is in the installed base and if the
shutdown actually happens there's going to be some surprise "gotchas" that happen
that will cost more than what it takes to run WWV to fix. Seriously in the realm
of .gov budgets $6M is nothing.

Don't forget WWV also broadcasts a lot of supplemental data like storm warnings,
space weather and the like.

Seems shortsighted to kill off what would be a pretty important backup. Something
happens to satellites and it's going to be pretty bad news.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#7]
It's petty, but I would be bummed if my watch stopped syncing to WWVB every night
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WWV is my go to propagation beacon.

View Quote
This. I suppose we will have to depend on the Canadians and CHU if WWV is shut down.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What uses WWVB these days except for cheap Chinese "atomic" clocks/wristwatches?

GPS is the de facto standard for time and frequency transfer.

WWV is cheap and convenient for ham radio and SWL users, but nobody else that I know uses it. Hell, I've got a GPSDO running my station.

While there must be some number of legacy scientific and industrial users of WWV and WWVB, that number has got to be really small.

What am I missing?

If they do kill WWV there will be a million sub-$50 designs for GPS derived 10MHz references on the market very quickly, and they'll only be bought by hams. Not as cheap and convenient as WWV, but still not a show-stopper.
View Quote
You are right. Only a few computers out there rely on it . . . like every machine running any version of Microsoft Windows!

Quoted:
It's petty, but I would be bummed if my watch stopped syncing to WWVB every night
View Quote
Same here and it wasn't a cheap watch. But I use that watch to set every other clock/watch in my house.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You are right. Only a few computers out there rely on it . . . like every machine running any version of Microsoft Windows!

Same here and it wasn't a cheap watch. But I use that watch to set every other clock/watch in my house.
View Quote
Computers have a HF receiver listening to WWv?

....  no.

Yes. Computers rely on accurate timekeeping.

No, they don’t use HF to do it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#11]
A few years ago WWV/B changed the digital format. That killed many WWV/B rcvrs ability to decode properly. My alarm clock everything became useless. As far as I am concerned, shutting off WWV/B is the same thing. Sticking with the website's forum, there is lady heather which connects your computer, and just about anything attached to it, to the gps.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was a kid, I used to set my watch by WWV. Pretty cool using my father's HF rig for that.

Nowadays, I use Dimension 4 to keep my PC's synced up (via internet) to the correct time.  I don't know what my Mac Pro uses, but it hasn't been wrong in 10 years.

Close enough for me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Computers have a HF receiver listening to WWv?

....  no.

Yes. Computers rely on accurate timekeeping.

No, they don't use HF to do it.
View Quote
I never said that computers use HF.

Although I never asked the developers back when I had access to them, I'm pretty sure that it uses your Internet connection to reach out to WWV for the time. It is done on a specific interval (which if you know how to change the number in the Registry you can change it to suit your needs), I believe default is weekly.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd hate to see WWV go away, the GPS is nice but more subject to interference/ government shut down for security purposes than the stuff in Boulder.
View Quote
And risk fucking up the cell network? Every cell site requires GPS time sync for call handling.

ETA: Not to mention other critical infrastructure like 911 call centers that use GPSDOs are well. You can't fuck with the timecode on the GPS system without causing major outages in a lot of infrastructure.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Bummer.

I finally just figured out how to use WWV to get a good time hack for FT8 when operating portable away from the internet

not to mention 3 out of my 4 watches use it for sync.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And risk fucking up the cell network? Every cell site requires GPS time sync for call handling.

ETA: Not to mention other critical infrastructure like 911 call centers that use GPSDOs are well. You can't fuck with the timecode on the GPS system without causing major outages in a lot of infrastructure.
View Quote
There are/ or were provisions to modify/ alter the GPS system during national emergencies so it could NOT be used in targeting. Just when you need it most . . .
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There are/ or were provisions to modify/ alter the GPS system during national emergencies so it could NOT be used in targeting. Just when you need it most . . .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, I remember that. But I doubt they would do anything like that now a days. Look at how many aircraft rely on it now? Plus there are other GPS like systems that are available that are not under US Gov. control.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Look at how many aircraft rely on it now?
View Quote
Geesh, kids....

How'd we ever find a boat in the middle of the ocean, before the advent of the GPS?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Geesh, kids....

How'd we ever find a boat in the middle of the ocean, before the advent of the GPS?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Geesh, kids....

Hold on, gotta reinstall my LORAN!
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:25:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Geesh, kids....

View Quote
Before GPS, there was TRANSIT.

They actually transmit RTTY in the VHF band. It's not an accident that GPS's nav messages are sent at 50 baud.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Before GPS, there was TRANSIT.

They actually transmit RTTY in the VHF band. It's not an accident that GPS's nav messages are sent at 50 baud.
View Quote
And before that, there was the pencil and paper method, powered by brains.   Which is what we used in my squadron.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And before that, there was the pencil and paper method, powered by brains.   Which is what we used in my squadron.  
View Quote
That software was frequently prone to error!
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I never said that computers use HF.

Although I never asked the developers back when I had access to them, I'm pretty sure that it uses your Internet connection to reach out to WWV for the time. It is done on a specific interval (which if you know how to change the number in the Registry you can change it to suit your needs), I believe default is weekly.
View Quote
Negative. Out of the box, Windows machines sync to time.windows.com and Macs sync to time.apple.com. Both use network time protocol.

Both of those almost certainly get their time from GPS via a bitsclock in their respective datacenters.

FWIW, I work for a large ISP and we have a bunch of Symmetricom bitsclocks getting their time from NTP, spread out across our network. Our NTP servers hit the bitsclocks for timing. Everything else hits the NTP servers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Is it the same service that clocks and wristwatches use to auto sync time?
If yes, its a dumb move by the government. The cost to maintain it is nothing compared to the benefits.
I have 3 clocks in the house and a wristwatch depend on it.
Will Casio refund $300 I paid for the fancy wristwatch with automatic time sync?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is it the same service that clocks and wristwatches use to auto sync time?
If yes, its a dumb move by the government. The cost to maintain it is nothing compared to the benefits.
I have 3 clocks in the house and a wristwatch depend on it.
Will Casio refund $300 I paid for the fancy wristwatch with automatic time sync?
View Quote
Yep. The Casios and other clocks use WWVB to sync. Initially I thought they were talking about
taking WWV offline but leaving WWVB, but no, it's the whole set of them.

The crazy thing is other countries will still be running theirs, e.g. China and Europe.

Casio says depending on the version, they may use up to 5 or six different stations:

USA (Fort Collins, CO) 60kHz WWVB
United Kingdom (Anthorn) 60kHz MSF
Germany (Mainflingen) 77.5kHz DCF77
Japan (Fukushima) 40kHz JJY
Japan (Kyushu Island) 60kHz JJY
China (Xi’an) 2.5/5/10/15MHz BPM

I doubt they'll refund since the watch still works. It'll certainly kill the US market for
them though.

The bigger deal is there's cheap $10 and under WWVB modules in a lot of equipment
that's set up to be fire-and-forget installations. If they go through with it I bet there's
going to be a market for GPS to near-field 60 KHz "fake" WWVB transmiters because
replacing that much installed equipment is going to be impossible.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Financial institutions sync their transfers on GPS timing.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:03:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just a matter of time before someone makes small 60kHz transmitter connected to a PC.
View Quote
https://hackaday.com/2016/12/28/micro-radio-time-station-keeps-watch-in-sync/

https://www.anishathalye.com/2016/12/26/micro-wwvb/
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#30]
At my last corporate gig we had one of the master time servers at one of our locations. It had two GPS antennas connected to it and a WWVB receiver on it. There was math in the system to compare all three times and then come up with an accurate time. This was synced with another master about 35 miles away. They compared with each other constantly factoring in network latency all the time. The first antenna for WWVB was interesting to say the least. It looked like a 4" doughnut that was mounted outdoors.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just a matter of time before someone makes small 60kHz transmitter connected to a PC.
https://hackaday.com/2016/12/28/micro-radio-time-station-keeps-watch-in-sync/

https://www.anishathalye.com/2016/12/26/micro-wwvb/
THAT is VERY cool. In fact, now that I think about it, you could do this with a cheap 192KHz sound card on your PC (or Pi, or whatever). Just connect the audio output to an antenna, there would be plenty of power from the headphone amp.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Sign a petition to keep it on the air. I did. Forward this link to your friends.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Geesh, kids....

No shit. I used to use it for time hacks for celestial navigation
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#34]
If they want to cut spending, maybe they ought to cut the overseas spending that benefits this country very little instead of something that is a necessary benefit to this country.  There are a thousand useless money wasting projects overseas that would keep millions here for domestic use.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I think we all rely on GPS too much these days...
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#36]
^Which works excellent, until it dont.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think we all rely on GPS too much these days...
View Quote
True that, then the .gov has control of both so we need a non.gov frequency/ time standard or at least something we can use to sync our watches.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
^Which works excellent, until it dont.
View Quote
This... Not that i think GPS spoofing is a real issue in civ land...

Also redundancy is good.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a few watches that use it for sync.

My Titanium EcoDrive Skyhawk AT is an amazing watch and I would hate to lose the auto sync function.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sure, I remember that. But I doubt they would do anything like that now a days. Look at how many aircraft rely on it now? Plus there are other GPS like systems that are available that are not under US Gov. control.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure they would. in a national defense emergency they arent even considered

besides airlners have INS and VOR, it would be a minor inconvenience among many other problems

do you think we dont have the capability to spoof other GPS systems?
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

do you think we dont have the capability to spoof other GPS systems?
View Quote
I do think the public is vastly over-reliant on GPS... IIRC they shut down LORAN a while back too because no one used it. I mean can you imagine the chaos that would be caused if GPS went down/got spoofed for 3 days in a major metro area (hypothetically).
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#42]
For the record, it's up and running as of today (really wish they did tours)

Link Posted: 9/9/2018 1:46:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For the record, it's up and running as of today (really wish they did tours)

https://i.imgur.com/dj5av03.jpg
View Quote
Me too, that's cool.

Obscure tech shit like that fascinates me (obviously).

I really hat to see this go and the WH petition is barely getting notice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#44]
I used the Canadian version of WWV on HF a few days ago, I wonder if they are going to shut theirs down too?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top